CHL Import Draft

A forum for all fans of the Owen Sound Attack of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Digger, waudby

CHL Import Draft

Postby CHL Watcher on Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:28 pm

The Attack pick in the #55 position and the #115.

Unless Maxim Sushko is going somewhere (I don't think so) they only need the first pick.

Just for fun, I took the imports drafted by the NHL this spring, eliminated defensemen from the list, removed players already known to have been drafted by another CHL team, eliminated players already playing at a high level in professional men's leagues in Finland, Sweden, and Russia, eliminated players born before 1998, highlighted any players that were drafted by teams that have prospects in Owen Sound in the recent past or in the present time, hoping that the parent team might have some influence, and came up with this list:

Rnd # NHL Player Pos Country Ht Wt League Team

2 58 MTL JONI IKONEN C FIN 5' 11" 177 SWEDEN-JR. FROLUNDA JR. 1999

3 63 NJD FABIAN ZETTERLUND W SWE 5' 10" 195 SWEDEN-JR. FARJESTAD JR. 1999
3 70 CHI ANDREI ALTYBARMAKYAN RW RUS 5' 11" 183 RUSSIA-JR. LVY ST. PETERSBURG 2 1998

4 105 WPG SANTERI VIRTANEN C FIN 6' 1" 194 FINLAND-JR. TPS JR. 1999
4 112 CHI TIM SODERLUND C SWE 5' 9" 163 SWEDEN SKELLEFTEA 1998
4 113 STL ALEXEY TOROPCHENKO RW RUS 6' 3" 187 RUSSIA-JR. MVD BALASHIKHA 2 1999
4 115 EDM OSTAP SAFIN RW CZE 6' 5" 192 CZREP-JR. SPARTA JR. 1999 (Safin has expressed his desire to play in the CHL this season. Is awaiting the draft.)
4 117 CBJ EMIL BEMSTROM C SWE 5' 10" 177 SWEDEN-JR. LEKSAND JR. 1999
4 124 TOR VLADISLAV KARA LW RUS 6' 2" 187 RUSSIA-2 BARS KAZAN 1998

5 125 COL IGOR SHVYREV C RUS 6' 1" 191 RUSSIA-JR. MAGNITOGORSK 2 1998
5 127 VGK LUCAS ELVENES C SWE 6' 0" 172 SWEDEN-JR. ROGLE JR. 1999
5 132 DAL JACOB PETERSON C SWE 6' 0" 165 SWEDEN-JR. FROLUNDA JR. 1999

6 160 NJD AARNE TALVITIE C FIN 5' 10" 198 FINLAND-JR. BLUES JR. 1999
6 168 PHI OLLE LYCKSELL RW SWE 5' 10" 163 SWEDEN-JR. LINKOPING JR. 1999

7 190 ARI ERIK WALLI WALTERHOLM RW SWE 6' 1" 179 SWE-JR. U18 DJURGARDEN U18 1999
7 202 CGY FILIP SVENINGSSON LW SWE 6' 0" 180 SWEDEN-JR. HV 71 JR. 1999
7 213 WSH KRISTIAN ROYKAS MARTHINSEN LW NOR 6' 0" 185 SWEDEN-JR. ALMTUNA JR. 1999

Does anyone know if any of these players are off limits?

Anyone have any thoughts? Rumours? Insight? Complaints? Preferences? Expectations?

Everyone knows this draft is more of a negotiation than a draft.

Although I'm skeptical of dealing with Russia, I think this might be the year to go after one of them for marketing purposes, if for no other reason. The Canada-Russia series game would benefit from the local player aspect of it. They may be too young to make that team on first attempt regardless....so the point may be moot. Just a thought.....although I wouldn't make it a must do by any stretch. As you may know, I don't over-value size, but there are a couple of players on the RW in this list who would be ideal to fill the void made when James and Schmalz moved on. I'm thinking Toropchenko or Safin. Who knows what the organisation has in mind, but that's my 'blind man's' guess at an ideal outcome. One is a big Russian....perfect when the Russians visit the Bayshore.....and the other is just a huge RWer......who looks like a perfect complement to the team (on paper).

Anyone ever seen any of these guys play? Edit: I have been watching video on a number of players, including these guys. I hadn't realised that in a few cases I had already seen them play. Soderlund and Ikonen in particular. I don't know how many of these players would actually come over (other than Safin, who has said that's what he intends to do) but they mostly all look good on video. Ikonen would be like having a second Suzuki. Soderlund is like a well seasoned version.

Will it ever stop raining?

Here's a link to the draft site: http://chl.ca/importdraft
CHL Watcher

Re: CHL Import Draft

Postby CHL Watcher on Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:14 pm

So....

This was the other angle

Belarus pipeline?

I took a look for team mates of Sushko and some of the U17, U18, U20 gang....and had a hunch about a pair of them, but not this guy.

Not a huge surprise pick, though....for a safety pick.

Safe....very non-earth-shattering. They should know all about this guy...

He's tall.....obviously approved by Sushko....and took a few penalties at the U18 WJC. He was a +1 without scoring any points, so somebody was doing that while he was out there. Not much to go on.

It will be interesting to see if he's as adaptable as Sushko. Has some real good size going for him.

Video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo-s6FmX6GA

Attack say "Great skating", but in this short video I see sloppy, but crafty mobility and a good solid stance. Skating needs work! Brunette and Angelidis were also dazzling with the blades, so I won't judge anything based on one video. He goes after the puck around the net like a crease creature, and shows that he can pass the puck....but that looks pretty close to ankle skating to me.
CHL Watcher

Postby CHL Watcher on Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:32 pm

Found a complete game of the latest Attacker. Good resolution. Foreign language play by play.

https://youtu.be/M5z7h5uK6Xs

Playing center on the top Belarussian line versus the Russians (U18). Also, plays on 1st powerplay unit at center and seems to do it pretty well. Line looks good but overall team looks a bit weak in spots. There are some good players on that Belarus team and the Russians look a little confused at times. I guess that's what happens with a whole team of 16-17 yr olds. Not a bad game, really.

The kid is big and looks like he likes to get into the crowded areas. Seems to be able to handle the puck, pass, and stay aware of his surroundings. The OHL is a much faster pace than this game, and I do not see a particularly speedy player here...
but he seems to be very aware defensively. That's a big thing.
CHL Watcher

Postby hockeyhockeyhockey on Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:53 am

If this guy shows, we'll see how the Attack development programme works for him .

Sushko will be able to translate, which will definitely speed up progress.
your Owen Sound Attack...

2011 OHL Champions
2011 Western Conference Champions
2011 Mid-West Division Regular Season Champions
2011 OHL Memorial Cup Participant
hockeyhockeyhockey

Postby CHL Watcher on Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:00 pm

hockeyhockeyhockey wrote:If this guy shows, we'll see how the Attack development programme works for him .

Sushko will be able to translate, which will definitely speed up progress.

I can't imagine he won't show.

Sushko would know him, at least a little.

Consider that he played on the main development team for Belarus....in a prominent role...has very good size...and did not get drafted. In fact, only two Belarusians got drafted....one out of the Russian Junior Hockey League and one out of the Canadian Junior Hockey League. He's the same age as both of them. One was a goalie in Russia....and one was a forward he could potentially play along side for a couple of years on the U20 National team. That other guy plays on a stacked team in the best junior league there is. Owen Sound had six players drafted this season.....the same number as the entire Russian junior league. I think he'll come.
CHL Watcher

Postby Digger on Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:20 pm

The Attack have lot's of depth and if this kid is not better than any of them, then I say why bother?
Digger
Digger

Postby CHL Watcher on Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:31 pm

Digger wrote:The Attack have lot's of depth and if this kid is not better than any of them, then I say why bother?

I'm curious...
did you watch his videos?

I thought his skating was decent, but not quick off the start at all. Nice mobility and real good vision and passing, though.....and he goes right to the net.....and he's big and acts like it.

Those are all good attributes.....except maybe the takeoff could use some work so he isn't trying to catch up when things go the other way.

Considering he's only Sushko's age I could see him scoring a lot of goals over the next couple of seasons.....with a fair few assists by the look of his set-up abilities. Is he better than any of the rest of the guys? Hard to say, but he looks like the type of player that could score a ton if he adapts.

Anybody who can play at the national level in a prominent role can probably play here. Consider that the two teams he's playing in the video are the US U18 and the Russian U18. It isn't likely he sees peers much better than that.....and it's his age group that counts. He stacks the team even more for another run in my opinion.

He does not look like a finished product, but he's pretty good.

He's played in Canada with some success just recently.
http://eng.belta.by/sport/view/belarus- ... 7639-2017/

More details here:
http://macstournament.ab.ca/division/0/1335/leaders
CHL Watcher

Postby Digger on Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:43 pm

Playing on the national team for Belarus is not the same for as as at least six other countries. I'm just saying if he is not any better than some of the guys already drafted he should be cut. If it turns out he is better then great.
Digger
Digger

Postby CHL Watcher on Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:54 pm

True enough. Belarus is somewhere in the 9-12 spot when it comes to hockey countries at most levels.

Sushko turned out okay so far.

But like you said, anyone who doesn't make the team gets cut....but it's not quite that simple because there is another aspect to it at this point.

If he doesn't make the team (assuming he even consents to trying out) we have a ridiculously good team. I believe we do, but I don't know that it's that good. I'll certainly take that and the resulting trades to follow if it's true. You see, I don't mind if the team has 18 worthy forwards, 10 worthy D, and 4 great goaltenders.

There are teams in this league that can use help rebuilding. Meanwhile the Attack upgrade.

The showcase for the prospects really takes place in the first month (NHL camps) ...more so than ever with the Attack so short this time around...and the guys either make the grade or they make the grade in the opinion of another team or they go back down. Package two or three and you may get an asset that you need. Everyone is happy. Everyone is playing.

You can't lose in this situation.

The Attack are going to have to manage their assets differently this year because they have guys that should be playing full time waiting in the wings and the stage is still mostly full, so to speak. They will have to make trades to properly accommodate people ...and that means they will be almost forced into a position to get the players they need in key positions to succeed in a year when they're expected to do so....and we have no idea at this point what positions will be left vacant.

The rich get richer.....unless the NHL/AHL give us a nasty surprise.
CHL Watcher

Postby Digger on Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:23 pm

55. Owen Sound Attack - Vasili Filyayev - Forward
The Attack go to Belarus for the second year in a row in the Import Draft. With the success of Maksim Sushko, it seems like a worthy gamble. That said, Filyayev's stats certainly aren't impressive. The 6'3, '99 born went pointless at the U18's and definitely didn't light the Belarussian U20 league on fire either. To give you an idea, Sushko was putting up over a point per game in the Belarussian men's second league as a 17 year old when the Attack drafted him. I'd be shocked if this pick turned into anything. Perhaps a friend of Sushko's who the team is hoping can be a diamond in the rough?
Scouting Report: None of my contacts had any real, solid information of Filyayev. So here's some snippets of interviews with Dale DeGray, one from the Sun Times in Owen Sound, and the other from Bayshore Broadcasting. Courtesy Rob Gowan's article, "He is skilled and is an average skater, but he has very good vision and is a smart player." Meanwhile, courtesy Kevin Bernard, "He's a big body who is a presence down the middle of the ice and combines a high level of skill with great skating to make an impact on the game." DeGray later goes on to compare him to Sushko.

YouTube ‎@YouTube
Follow
Mark McKelvie @Mark14McKelvie
Here's a clip of @AttackOHL Import pick Vasili Filyayev in action at the U18 with Belarus. Look at the long reach. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo-s6FmX6GA
12:39 PM - 28 Jun 2017
Digger
Digger

Postby CHL Watcher on Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:14 pm

I just got through reading that blog.

Looks like we're all in the same boat. Nobody knows for sure what he brings to the team if he comes at all.

"Great skater" and also an "Average Skater"

"Sushko was putting up a point a game before he came over as a 17 year old"

????
Looky here....Filyayev had 31 points in 30 games this season in that league....and an additional 5 points in 14 games in the top league. Oh, and he had 3 points in 4 games in the second league as a 16 year old. Those are the leagues that the U18 and U20 play in....just like the USNTDP and the USHL. Hello! They don't have enough high end players to have a great junior league, so they gang up and play in the men's league. So, yeah...he knows Sushko for certain. He may be a little behind Sushko in development but maybe he had a huge growth spurt? I don't think he can be easily written off. He got blanked at the U18 world's, but that happens to lots of guys...even on the best teams.

2015-16 Metallurg Zhlobin-2 Belarus2 4 1 2 3 4 | Playoffs 3 0 1 1 0
COR Zhlobin U18 Belarus U18 - - - - - |
2016-17 Team Belarus U18 Belarus2 30 9 22 31 24 | Playoffs 3 0 0 0 2
Team Belarus U20 Belarus 14 4 1 5 4 2 | Playoffs 4 1 1 2 2 -6
Belarus U18 WJC-18 7 0 0 0 6 1 |

anyway...
What I see looks pretty average in the skaing department....not bad...but nothing to write home about.....but the rest of his skills look better than that. Maybe we'll see.

For a few seconds he makes the US U18 team look silly in their own end......but that's just a few seconds of video. For a few shifts he looks great against the Russians also, but again....one game and no points. He killed the midget tournament out west....but that's midget hockey, not the OHL.

I still like the potential I see. Big kid, rangey, long reach, wants the puck, focused on the net, not a wallflower, takes important faceoffs, passes really well, good vision. I'm hoping Sushko knows the guy and knows what he brings....and I expect that he does.

At this point we don't even know if he's interested....so it may be that we're just wasting electrons.
CHL Watcher

Postby cubby01 on Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:29 am

DD has a pretty good record of bringing in ready to play imports. Maybe he took a bit of a flyer with a late pick here but you just never know. If this kid does not work out the team has a load of depth to fall back on. At least it gives us something other than giant ducks to talk about in July!!
cubby01

Postby CHL Watcher on Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:01 pm

I can't find anything on Filyayev's response to his being drafted by the Attack. You can usually find a foreign language site that has a blurb.....but I've found none.

I would be interested if anyone can find something out there on the web.......just to know if it was met with 'meh' or if it brought a positive response. People can be misleading, but the 'horse's mouth' usually means more.

Got this through Google Translate (note that BH = Belarus Hockey):

CHL Import Draft: 18-year-old Belarusian striker is selected for Maxim Sushko's team
June 28, 2017

18-year-old Belarusian striker Vasily Filiaev selected "Owen Sound Attack" (OHL) for the CHL Import Draft in the first round under the 55th number, "BH" correspondent Saveliy Kapusta reports.

Note that the colors of this team are protected by Belarusian striker Maxim Sushko, who recently chose "Philadelphia" in the NHL draft.

Last season Filiaev performed in the Premier League (31 (9 + 21) points in 30 games) and the Belarusian Championship (5 (4 + 1) points in 14 games) for the national teams.

In 7 matches of the junior world championship, he did not score points.

and this:

Andrey Pavlenko and Vladislav Mikhalchuk are selected on the CHL Draft
By
Junost375293485711 Vitaliy -
06/29/2017

In Canada, the Draft of the CHL (Canadian Hockey League) took place, which includes the leading junior leagues of North America - WHL (Western Hockey League), OHL (League of Ontario) and QMJHL (League of Quebec).

Overseas youth clubs, among others, also chose two pupils of the SDUSHOR SU "Hockey club" Youth-Minsk ". In particular, striker Andrei Pavlenko (born in 2000) liked the scouts of the Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL) team, who gave our hockey player the 12th draft pick of the 1st round.

Another striker Vladislav Mikhalchuk (born in 1999) was in demand by the club "Prince George" (WHL), who chose our pupil under the overall 54th number in the 1st round.

In addition to the pupils of SDYUSHOR "Youth-Minsk", North Americans secured the rights to the pupils of other hockey schools in Belarus. Igor Martunov (1999) from the Children's Sports School of the Gomel HC is selected for the second time in the CHL Draft. This time, the Belarusians chose "Victoria Cougar" (WHL).
Vasiliy Filiaev (1999) from Zhlobin Regional Broadcasting Foundation was drafted by the Owen Sound Attack Club (OHL) , Sergei Sapego (1999) from the Youth Sports Center Vitebsk - Tray City (WHL), Pavel Azhgirey (2000) from the Grodno ZOR - Everett Silverwichts (WHL).

In all, 19 Russians, 15 Czechs, 8 Swedes, 7 Slovaks, 6 Belarusians and Germans, 4 Finns and Swiss, 1 Slovenian, Dane and French were selected for the 2017 draft. In the CHL draft, only European players between the ages of 16 and 20 have the right to participate.

In total, 49 of our compatriots were chosen for the history of the sovereign Belarusian hockey on the Draft of the CHL expansion, 28 of which are pupils of the Sports School "Hockey club" Youth-Minsk "!

Google translate >> Tray City...and The Silverwichts! :lol:
At least it's somewhat readable.

and this:

In the first round of the draft, four representatives of Belarus were immediately chosen.

MINSK, Jun 29 - Sputnik. Belarusian hockey player Vladislav Mikhalchuk is selected for the Canadian Hockey League (CHL) import draft, according to the website of the league.
Head Coach of Dynamo Minsk HC Craig Woodcroft
© Sputnik / Victor Tolochko
Woodcroft explained his decision to withdraw from the Minsk "Dynamo"

Import-Draft CHL, in which clubs choose foreign players, took place the day before. Each of the 60 league teams has the option of choosing two foreign players representing the country outside of North America. The draft consists of two rounds, the order of choice is determined by the results of performances in the regular season.

So, in the first round was chosen Andrey Pavlenko (under the 12th number), who was interested in Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL), Igor Martynov (30th issue, Victoria Coogars, WHL),
Vasilii Filyaev (55th Number, "Owen Sound Attack", OHL) and Vladislav Mikhalchuk (54th issue, "Prince George Cougar", WHL).

"Vladislav Mikhalchuk is the player you notice every time he goes out on the ice," Todd Harkins, the general manager of Cougar, told princegeorgecitizen.com.

According to him, the ability, speed and physical strength of the 18-year-old Belarusian striker, who managed to play for the junior and youth team, fit well in CHL. "He is very dynamic, knows how to handle the puck," added Harkins.

He expressed hope that Mikhalchuk, speaking for "Cougar", will be able to make a statement about himself and he will be noticed in the NHL.
Goalkeeper Stepan Goryachevsky, archive photo
© Sputnik Grigory Sokolov
Minsk "Dynamo" signed a contract with goalkeeper Stepan Goryachevsky

In the second round of the import draft, two more Belarusian attackers were selected - Sergei Sapego (96-1 number, "Tray City American", WHL) and Pavel Azhgirey (118th number, Everett Silverptips, WHL).

By the way, the Belarusians repeated the achievement of last year, when six young hockey players were also chosen for the import-draft. In 2016, Artem Baltruk, Maxim Sushko, Vladislav Eremenko, Dmitry Buynitsky, Igor Martynov and Cyril Chaika were selected.

Under the first two numbers were selected Russian athletes - Andrei Svechnikov ("Barry Colts") and Alexander Khovanov ("Moncton Wildcats").

In total, 50 forwards and 22 defenders from 16 to 20 years old were selected for the draft of CHL-2017. They represent 11 countries.

CHL includes the Western Hockey League, the junior league of Quebec and the junior league of Ontario.

Recall, on June 25 at the NHL draft, which was held in Chicago, the club "Philadelphia Flyers" has consolidated its rights for the player of the youth team of Belarus 18-year-old Maxim Sushko. The hockey player was chosen in the fourth round. In addition, "Philadelphia" drafted Cyril Ustinenko - a pupil of the Homel hockey school, which a few years ago took Russian citizenship.
CHL Watcher

Postby CHL Watcher on Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:25 am

Giving this another bump so you can read this scouting report...

It's a report on the game between the US U18 and the Belarus U18.....the one that the US dominated and won 7-0. It basically, in no uncertain terms, paints Filyayev as a notch above any other player on the Belarus U18. It seems he was the only one who could consistently compete with his counterparts...and maybe then some.

I'll take that.

The article includes the 'dominant' clip that I believe the Attack first posted. There are other players rated, but who really cares? Scroll down.

https://recrutes.ca/u-18-report-us-vs-belarus/
CHL Watcher

Postby CHL Watcher on Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:22 am

IIHF ICE HOCKEY U18 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP

I've scrounged up an interesting factoid.

Filyayev took more face-offs at the last U18 than any other Belarusian, American, Canadian, Finnish, Swedish, Latvian, Swiss, Slovakian, or Czech player. ...and he won more than he lost.

There was one Russian who took more draws, but he lost more than he won.

So.... that's not a bad stat. It certainly shows what his coach thinks of him. It also shows he can hold his own facing off against the best hand-picked ringers his own age. Hopefully he can do it here. It was a sore spot for the Attack last year...thus the Cordell James deal....which turned out to be a good move anyway.
CHL Watcher

Next

Return to Electric Ice Forum