CHL Import Draft

A forum for all fans of the Owen Sound Attack of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Digger, waudby

Re: CHL Import Draft

Postby Digger on Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:23 pm

I don't believe you keep an import just because he is an import. Guelph let both theirs go in the middle of the year last year. They need to bring some thing special to a team like sushko. I need to see more than what I have seen so far.
Digger
Digger

Postby cubby01 on Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:35 pm

I agree with this thinking. Why would you cut a better player to make room for an import? You can always trade for a better one later if a deal is available.
The Attack have the luxury of some depth this year, let's make it count.
cubby01

Postby CHL Watcher on Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:41 pm

I totally agree. That's why I was asking....and digging for info. There is precious little space on this roster (none, to be honest).

If he's not up to the task for this roster, then so be it....but he might fit in somewhere else. The Attack have too many assets. There may be some straight up cuts (for sure), but there probably aught to be trades as well. No doubt there will be two or three who can play in the OHL that can't play here.
CHL Watcher

Postby hockeyhockeyhockey on Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:19 am

I've always felt the OA'S and imports are 5 premium spots on the team.

How they perform, so too does the team.

If the goal this season is to surpass a western conference final appearance, then those five need to be better than good.
your Owen Sound Attack...

2011 OHL Champions
2011 Western Conference Champions
2011 Mid-West Division Regular Season Champions
2011 OHL Memorial Cup Participant
hockeyhockeyhockey

Postby CHL Watcher on Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:23 pm

Agreed.

If the Attack have multiple prospects who are better than Filyayev then the Attack are just fine.

I'm pretty sure that the fact the kid went scoreless in a tournament where his team was routed isn't the way I would want to be assessed as a Belarusian junior player.

I hear the same thing every year....so call me skeptical. Most people hate the idea of import players because they 'imagine' it takes positions from Canadians (and Americans). There are 40 import spots in the OHL, thus we have 20 teams where we would only support 18 teams at the same level of skill otherwise. Three imports and four OAs wouldn't 'take our jobs' it would add 2 more teams if you have a viable market for them without ending up like the Dub (totally watered down and weak in comparison to past years). Just try explaining that....and good luck.

So, I generally take import criticism with a bag of salt...and tend to cheerlead for them....having visited many of their countries....and realising they are just kids...expending way more resources and being separated by thousands of miles from their families, friends, girlfriends, and culture to live the dream. I remember being their age and frankly cannot imagine doing what they do. Tough kids...mentally...even the weakest of them.

Having said all that....if Filyayev isn't good enough....it certainly does happen.

Remember....our thoughts and predictions from previous years are still here. Go back and look and you will see.....and it's not just about the imports.....we would have put together some pretty goofy teams over the years....and we would have collectively cut some gems in the process.

DeGray may have been caught off guard with his import situation, but that doesn't mean he blew it....and I'm afraid that's the assumption. Give it time....and go look at who impressed us or didn't last year.
Last edited by CHL Watcher on Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CHL Watcher

Postby cubby01 on Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:48 pm

I watched one period this morning and the depth on this team is remarkable. Sushko and Dudas both have grown a bit and looked really good. The new tall defenseman (#2) seems to fit. Zippy was very vocal on the ice, maybe ready to step into a leadership role? Goaltending is hard to judge at this point but Guzda has great size for his age. As for the new import, it might be fair to give him a chance to settle in. He is big enough and his skating is fine.
cubby01

Postby CHL Watcher on Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:11 pm

cubby01 wrote:I watched one period this morning and the depth on this team is remarkable.

I've actually never seen the likes of it. (I mean, on paper, because I actually haven't seen the camp at all)

cubby01 wrote:Sushko and Dudas both have grown a bit and looked really good.

Excellent news!

cubby01 wrote:The new tall defenseman (#2) seems to fit.

Would that be Chibrikov?

cubby01 wrote:Zippy was very vocal on the ice, maybe ready to step into a leadership role?

:lol: I'm not surprised at all! I expected he would take up that role, whether it's handed to him or not. He's like that...and he should be, as a veteran. If he stays discplined he's a very big assett to have.

cubby01 wrote:Goaltending is hard to judge at this point but Guzda has great size for his age.

All things being equal, I doubt we'll see any surprises here.

cubby01 wrote:As for the new import, it might be fair to give him a chance to settle in. He is big enough and his skating is fine.

When you draft a 19 year old, as some teams do in a possible championship season, you expect big things right away. When you have a two or three year player you expect a growth period. They are coming here to be exposed to the North American style and the North American ice surface. If they didn't need to do that they wouldn't be here. Whether the kid's name is Agris, Arturs, Stefan, Andres, Maksim, or Vasili we have to realise that it is the body of work that counts, rather than the first little bit. Maksim only scored 17 goals all of last year.....but nobody would want him gone, right? What if I told you he would only score 17 at the beginning of the season? There would be a few folks who would say, why bother? Well, development money, international cred, and over-all skill level. Whether they intended to do it or not, and for better or worse, the Attack now have a Belarusian pipeline. Let's hope that pays off. I would guess that in the average year any one of their top 5-10 Nats could make the OHL without any issue. If the Attack are top of mind in Belarus, that's fine by me.
CHL Watcher

Postby attackisback on Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:50 pm

szupula should not have a letter. do you not remember all the stupid penalties last year?
attackisback

Postby CHL Watcher on Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:23 pm

attackisback wrote:szupula should not have a letter. do you not remember all the stupid penalties last year?

I also remember he woke up late in the season....quit the random retaliation crap and stood out as one of the leaders.

He also did not fade away in the playoffs....but actually stepped it up.

James, Phillips, Centorame, Hancock (not quite so much), and Gadjovich cannot really say the same. Things get tougher during the playoffs....and some people take two or three times as many penalties, or their goals and assists dry up, or their +- takes a dive. Szypula showed leadership in the last 30-40 games, whereas, I was ready to punt him down the road at mid-season. The meathead moves were ridiculously frustrating. When he stays disciplined he's creative, a great passer, plays with a bit of sandpaper, is never lazy, and can absolutely fly. Let's see how he goes for now.

...and if stupid penalties from a captain are what you're trying to avoid, then....I'm afraid last year's playoff run would be a stark reminder of what happens when your captain lets his emotions take charge. ...I figure truth is truth...since we're calling people out. Check the stats.

An emotional captain can be quiet or loud.....but the proof is in the pudding. And no, I'm not suggesting he get the C at all....but an A may be appropriate. Only the players and coaches know for sure.
CHL Watcher

Postby cubby01 on Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:42 pm

While we are at it, who will be the Captain? Suzuki? Phillips? Friend? I guess the new coach might take his time making this decision, probably go with a bunch of Assistants for now until he gets a feel for the room.
cubby01

Postby attackisback on Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:45 pm

C- suzuki
A Phillips
A friend
A gadjovich
attackisback

Postby CHL Watcher on Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:47 pm

Those are all good choices, in my opinion (which means nothing, of course).

It isn't or shouldn't be about who is the best player....but about who has the respect of the other players...the coach...the refs...and even the other teams....

I'm not sure who that would be, but for letters I like the following:

Phillips, Suzuki, Friend, Gadjovich (great choice here, imo), Szypula, and possibly even Hancock (a bit quiet in front of a microphone, but I admire his hockey IQ and unsung perseverance a lot). I can see why rookies would look to any of these guys for advice or guidance.
CHL Watcher

Previous

Return to Electric Ice Forum