Line-up for this season

A forum for all fans of the Owen Sound Attack of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Digger, waudby

Line-up for this season

Postby CHL Watcher on Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:03 pm

I was over at the HFBoard today...

AttackSound.....are you there?

Why oh why would Bourque and King be rotated into the defensive line-up behind Chibrikov and Beamish?

Bourque is the best actual full-on defensman available (absolutely a defense first character). King earned a lot more than a look last year. He filled in just fine when Friend was injured and was not shown to be a weak link.

I really have to sign up for that board one of these days. I like reading it over, but now and then you just can't help but speak up.

AttackSound.....
If that was unintentional....you might want to reword your post. Chibrikov is a "project" according to DD and Beamish, unless something has changed that we're unaware of, is one back of King on the 'ready to play full time' chart. Bourque is top four, no question and King is top six now that Santino Cento is gone (as when Jacob Friend was unavailable). I have nothing against the other two cracking the line-up in the top six, but I'd have to actually see it done and it would not affect Bourque's position, regardless.
CHL Watcher

Re: Line-up for this season

Postby cubby01 on Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:12 pm

I'm with Watcher. Bourque and King ahead of Beamish and Cameron.
Friend, Phillips
Bourque, Durzi
King, Cameron
Beamish and the rookie

Maybe one of these guys goes into a package for another piece
cubby01

Postby CHL Watcher on Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:15 pm

That's how I see it. Exactly like that. Bourque led the entire team in +- through the playoffs while not being a scoring machine.....that's absolutely incredible.

Bourque +9
Friend +5 (also a defense first type of guy)
Centorame and Durzi +3
Phillips 0
Cameron -2
King - No playoff play but a solid regular season resume when he was tossed right into the fire

I hope that potential package deal does not include Bourque. I was more than a bit impressed with his development last year. He's calm under pressure....and there will be lots and lots of that this season. I agree that some trades may be forced this season...at a few positions. Much like Montreal and their goaltending, the Attack have a few crowded areas with more than enough applicants capable of playing at this level. But...

Trade Bourque and 'Watcher' me 'lose it'. :oops:

and I will add.......there isn't a top six defense in the CHL that will touch these guys for ability or cumulative high end experience. Hands down the best top six. Just my opinion, of course.....but draft rankings, NHL rookie camp invites and the like tend to indicate others may feel the same way.

This defense was actually under-rated because McNiven got a lot of credit for defense. Check the shot totals and you'll see that the D was also a big part of that. Whether their goalie this time around is McNiven or someone else....they'll still keep the shot totals under 30 in almost every game they play.

That means they're going to win a lot of games.....with anyone in net. Just different degrees of goodness.....depending on the skill of the goalie.

I just noticed a few other missing players...so here's my stab at the roster.....applicable only if the players actually show up (and it is very probable some won't show) without regard to roster numbers that will be limited by coach on behalf of the GM.....accepting that people could still be pushed out by better prospects....and with no regard to actual line combinations other than to get everyone into the picture <sounds like a legal contract....but the roster is available at attackhockey.com

Jonah Gadjovich Nick Suzuki Kevin Hancock
Maksim Sushko Vasili Filyayev Ethan Szypula
Zach Roberts Matt Struthers Chase Campbell
Nick Pryce Aidan Dudas Mitch Russell
Dylan Wendt Daylon Groulx

Marcus Phillips Jacob Friend
Trenton Bourque Sean Durzi
Nick King Cole Cameron
Luke Beamish Igor Chibrikov

Michael McNiven
Emanuel Vella
Mack Guzda

It will be good enough to compete no matter how it comes out. (I have dyslexia about this Mitch Russell kid....Russ Mitchell....Mitch Russell... :oops: )

Update: I've edited to get the lines more aligned with a possible reality, in my view....obviously up for much debate. A guy like Dylan Wendt is highly unlikely to be here this season, but as of now this is the main list of players that the GM hopes show enough to be signed or could be returned to the team. Then there are the prospects.....some of whom almost always make the cut. It looks to me like there are no 'bad' options. There's perfect...and then there's pretty darn good. It's looking like one of them.
Last edited by CHL Watcher on Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:26 am, edited 8 times in total.
CHL Watcher

Postby stevey on Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:32 pm

I agree with Cubby's lineup and IMHO the 3-4 tandem of Bourque Durzi could if they continue developing like they did last year could be considered 1b-2b. Todd Gill has the luxury I believe of just throwing out 2 d-men any 2 and not be in defensive trouble.
stevey

Postby cubby01 on Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:19 pm

What happens if the Wendt kid shows up? Would he bump someone like Pryce ? Sounds like this kid could be a force.
cubby01

Postby cubby01 on Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:22 pm

Scratch that last idea, it seems that he has signed to play in Michigan.
Maybe in a few years?
cubby01

Postby hockeyhockeyhockey on Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:28 pm

cubby01 wrote:What happens if the Wendt kid shows up? Would he bump someone like Pryce ? Sounds like this kid could be a force.

I believe I read somewhere he's committed to US College.
your Owen Sound Attack...

2011 OHL Champions
2011 Western Conference Champions
2011 Mid-West Division Regular Season Champions
2011 OHL Memorial Cup Participant
hockeyhockeyhockey

Postby hockeyhockeyhockey on Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:30 pm

CHL Watcher wrote:That's how I see it. Exactly like that. Bourque led the entire team in +- through the playoffs while not being a scoring machine.....that's absolutely incredible.

Bourque +9
Friend +5 (also a defense first type of guy)
Centorame and Durzi +3
Phillips 0
Cameron -2
King - No playoff play but a solid regular season resume when he was tossed right into the fire

I hope that potential package deal does not include Bourque. I was more than a bit impressed with his development last year. He's calm under pressure....and there will be lots and lots of that this season. I agree that some trades may be forced this season...at a few positions. Much like Montreal and their goaltending, the Attack have a few crowded areas with more than enough applicants capable of playing at this level. But...

Trade Bourque and 'Watcher' me 'lose it'. :oops:

and I will add.......there isn't a top six defense in the CHL that will touch these guys for ability or cumulative high end experience. Hands down the best top six. Just my opinion, of course.....but draft rankings, NHL rookie camp invites and the like tend to indicate others may feel the same way.

This defense was actually under-rated because McNiven got a lot of credit for defense. Check the shot totals and you'll see that the D was also a big part of that. Whether their goalie this time around is McNiven or someone else....they'll still keep the shot totals under 30 in almost every game they play.

That means they're going to win a lot of games.....with anyone in net. Just different degrees of goodness.....depending on the skill of the goalie.

I just noticed a few other missing players...so here's my stab at the roster.....applicable only if the players actually show up (and it is very probable some won't show) without regard to roster numbers that will be limited by coach on behalf of the GM.....accepting that people could still be pushed out by better prospects....and with no regard to actual line combinations other than to get everyone into the picture <sounds like a legal contract....but the roster is available at attackhockey.com

Jonah Gadjovich Nick Suzuki Kevin Hancock
Maksim Sushko Vasili Filyayev Ethan Szypula
Zach Roberts Matt Struthers Chase Campbell
Nick Pryce Aidan Dudas Mitch Russell
Dylan Wendt Daylon Groulx

Marcus Phillips Jacob Friend
Trenton Bourque Sean Durzi
Nick King Cole Cameron
Luke Beamish Igor Chibrikov

Michael McNiven
Emanuel Vella
Mack Guzda

It will be good enough to compete no matter how it comes out. (I have dyslexia about this Mitch Russell kid....Russ Mitchell....Mitch Russell... :oops: )

Update: I've edited to get the lines more aligned with a possible reality, in my view....obviously up for much debate. A guy like Dylan Wendt is highly unlikely to be here this season, but as of now this is the main list of players that the GM hopes show enough to be signed or could be returned to the team. Then there are the prospects.....some of whom almost always make the cut. It looks to me like there are no 'bad' options. There's perfect...and then there's pretty darn good. It's looking like one of them.

It could play out this way, but I'd swap Filyayav and Pryce. Of course the games played on the ice, and Digger keeps an open slate in camp.

2011 OHL Champions
hockeyhockeyhockey

Postby CHL Watcher on Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:25 am

I would agree about Pryce....

...understand...I did this only to put the two from Belarus together....hoping for some chemistry there.

If you're rolling lines, as I expect they will easily be able to do, there isn't really a first, second, third, or fourth line in the normal sense of it.

I hear you, though.

Over on the HFboard AttackSound still thinks a rookie will be placed in front of an NHL drafted guy with a nearly flawless defensive game. Everyone is entitled to their opinion....
....it's a darn good thing DD is unlikely to think that way.

Want to have some fun? Take a look through the line-up and see how many players you figure have a sensible chance at 20 goals. To start with you have 3 that went well beyond that mark last year.....then you have a guy who got 17 as a rookie with a shortened schedule....and then you have a whole list of rookies, sophomores, and vets who scored 7-14 last season. I think this will be one of the topics of discussion by January. Virtually every player that makes the starting rotation up front is capable of double digits....plus a couple on the back end. It should be interesting to watch. The team needs at least a few guys to step up.

PS Wendt is supposed to be going to NCAA, but I left his name up for now. If he committed to the Attack he would make the team, for sure.....which is highly unlikely at this point.

One more point/question/thought: We have Friend, Szypula, and McNiven as possible overage players. Also the team retains the rights to Palmu, I believe. It is possible they still come up short of actual overage players when all is said and done. What options do they have right now? Three good overage players is almost always a bonus (example: The Soo could have had Cordell James, but left the spot open. He then took face-offs against them in an elimination series.).
CHL Watcher

Postby hockeyhockeyhockey on Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:35 pm

The previous two or three drafts, I think were consistently the best the Attack had.

There is depth in the prospects, Dale has remarked there are players who could/shill be playing in the O , and he will need to move some of them.

It makes it tough for players to cracking the lineup, and there is always a surprise or two at every camp.

The blueline may well feature King , Beamish and the Russian domestic pick, all who could cracking the lineup.

Ditto a number of forwards.

My curiosity lies in net.
With McNiven back, the Attack instantly can be considered a contender.
Without him, it's anyone's guess how things go.

2011 OHL Champions
hockeyhockeyhockey

Postby CHL Watcher on Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:33 am

First point is dead on, in my opinion.

Second point....Agreed that King will have a really good shot. He proved he could fill in last year. If Friend doesn't return then another of the prospects gets a shot at top six...but an OA defenseman in trade becomes a good possibility because otherwise the team gets decidedly weaker.....and if that happens you're in as much trouble as losing McNiven. Losing Friend and Centorame is a massive defensive loss. Friend would have to be immediately replaced....thus, no gain for the prospects. I'm not in favour of letting up....or re-arranging things a whole bunch. Completely unnecessary. Someone on HFBoards mentioned TJ Fergus. He's someone that might help, but I'm inclined to ask who might be available from the eastern side of the OHL. It just seems to me that any move with Erie comes right back at us and they're just as aware of it. This increases the price tag of any transaction.

Point three...Forward position is potentially even more crowded. I agree with you. I expect a trade or two to upgrade (hope it works) and trim the numbers.

Point four.....The team needs McNiven.....
Here I only agree to a point. With him they're a favorite (unless they get stupid with re-arranging the personnel)....but without him they're still a favorite....and there are goaltenders available this season (but every GM would try to drain the Attack vault before handing a goaltender to the Attack). Vella should probably be given a shot at it if it comes to that.

I'm not even close to convinced that Friend, Bourque, Durzi, or Phillips won't play top four if they show up. I'm actually most in favour of going with the top six from last year (Friend, Phillips, Bourque, Durzi, Cameron, King) unless someone actually shows they're better than those guys. They might actually do that.....and the Attack D would have to be better than the best they've ever been ....but that's already a given with McNiven back and six guys coming back on defense (or should be a given)....so I'm trying to imagine just how good they would have to be for any of the top six to be pushed aside (when it didn't happen last year). I can see carrying eight defense and rotating people into the sixth spot (even fifth and sixth if warranted) but leave the top four out of it (too well proven). Of course, if they carry too many defense they can't carry forwards or goaltenders....which may be a bigger issue.
CHL Watcher

Postby hockeyhockeyhockey on Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:54 am

Off topic, is it just me, or have other teams been energetically signing mittfuls of draft picks before camp starts?

I always thought the Attack waited till training camp to sign players, other than their first and or second Rd picks.

2011 OHL Champions
hockeyhockeyhockey

Postby CHL Watcher on Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:14 pm

I've noticed it and I think you're right.

Imagine trying to figure out what you're going to do with all these capable players? I could see taking time with it....even if it wasn't the standard operating procedure.....and I think you're right that the Attack generally wait longer anyway.
CHL Watcher

Postby hockeyhockeyhockey on Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:35 am

I always thought training camp was for teams to see players and pick the ones best suited for the team.

Not sure what has changed, are promises made to entice players to come to camp, which includes signing before seeing ?

Does 'signing' mean to a playing card? Each team has a finite number of cards they can use, don't they?

This gets more confusing .

2011 OHL Champions
hockeyhockeyhockey

Postby CHL Watcher on Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:00 am

I'm not even sure what 'commit' means in this context. I know what signed means.

As far as I know a commitment is worthless. It means about as much as a commitment to a college team. Three phrases that mean the same thing as a commitment are as follows: "I'll be there if it's good for me...and at the moment it is good for me" or "I want to keep my bargaining options wide open and this doesn't hurt that cause in this case" or "yes, I do intend to be there". In other words....probably/maybe.

Being signed by a team means you're on the team (or in the system).

I figure it's summertime hockey news when there isn't much going on.

The players who actually come to camp may not even be 'committed', as we've seen in the past. Not until they've over-stayed their grace period or been signed.

Let's see who comes to camp and then see who is actually 'committed'.

Teams that sign players at this stage (beyond the first round pick) are doing it because the player will almost certainly make the team. To be able to predict such a thing three or four picks deep tells you a lot about how many holes that team has to fill.

Owen Sound has none and have already dealt with their first round pick. You can't start signing players with absolutely nowhere to put them. They have to bump people out and that usually requires some proof of ability in an equal setting or even head-to-head. The Attack just don't have any gaping holes....none.
CHL Watcher

Next

Return to Electric Ice Forum