Line-up for this season

A forum for all fans of the Owen Sound Attack of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Digger, waudby

Re: Line-up for this season

Postby cubby01 on Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:01 pm

Who gets bumped from the forwards after today's trade? Maybe another deal coming up for an experienced dman. I guess that the hope for the return of McNiven is gone now. Sounds like Bowman might be a good fit. Hopefully Vella also gets enough starts to show his stuff. And any word on Friend? Lots of questions still but hopefully it all gets sorted out in the next few weeks. Can't wait to get this thing going!!!!
cubby01

Postby CHL Watcher on Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:10 pm

I think the Attack have 11 or 12 returning forwards.

In addition to that, Russell has to play, Filiyayev has to play, Lyszczarczyk has to play.....or why bother drafting and trading? Clearly they're meant to be in the line-up (whether they wind up there or not).

That's 14 or 15 players that should be playing in the OHL.

Considering there are a raft of prospects looking for a spot on top of the 14-15 OHL forwards already here in the Sound.....trades have to be coming. Those trades will either be major moves for one player in exchange for two or three of our own or else picks galore for a few players that won't see enough ice here in town. More new bodies for picks doesn't seem very practical at this time.

I bet we see a cluster of trades around training camp. Places will have to be found for a few.
CHL Watcher

Postby CHL Watcher on Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:11 pm

I've been reading some Polish sports media lately (I'm on a few days off...Google translate). It's kind of informative in a general interest sort of way.

Lis-sahr-chuck is quite a phenom back home. The kid has already played in something like 17 international games for Poland. He was hoping to be the fifth Pole ever to be drafted. When he returned from the U20 last year (where he had something like 11 points) he was placed on the second line (instead of the first). Coach recognized his defensive abilities and had him playing in defensive scenarios. His offensive numbers suffered by extension but he improved defensively. Still, not enough for the scouts, who were likely looking for a point a game.

He's game to keep fighting for a spot and "excited" to be traded to a team that is expected to go places.

He had his first hockey fight after watching a UFC match with Connor McGregor with teammates and being prodded by his buddies on the team. He won handily.

I like the drive this kid has. Born in the US, hockey in Poland, Slovakia, the Czech republic, and Canada....all by the age of 19....and with big expectations back home in Poland. His dad was also a Polish hockey player. Alan spent his youth and teenage years going absolutely anywhere he had to go to get better.

I wish him well in his quest. It won't hurt Owen Sound at all if he succeeds and any scout worth his salt can see he's got his mind set. This is a kid with a goal. No half way. The change of scenery will do him good.
CHL Watcher

Postby Noofgoof on Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:18 am

Random thought.. What would it take to get/ what would everyone think about getting Dmitry Sokolov out of the dumpster fire in Sudbury and send Filyayev and some kind of package back? Is this even a possibility? I only came up with the idea because they do seem to like to do business with us and he sure would look good in an Attack uniform and help make up for the loss of Palmu and have some chemistry with the players we picked up recently. Or is that to much dumpster diving? The man sure can put up points although his plus minus is not exactly favourable.
Noofgoof

Postby attackisback on Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:34 pm

why would the attack convince Filyayev to come over here then trade in before playing 1 regular season game? Good luck trying to get future guys to report if that was done. Filyayev is here for the long haul.
attackisback

Postby Digger on Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:53 pm

Noofgoof wrote:Random thought.. What would it take to get/ what would everyone think about getting Dmitry Sokolov out of the dumpster fire in Sudbury and send Filyayev and some kind of package back? Is this even a possibility? I only came up with the idea because they do seem to like to do business with us and he sure would look good in an Attack uniform and help make up for the loss of Palmu and have some chemistry with the players we picked up recently. Or is that to much dumpster diving? The man sure can put up points although his plus minus is not exactly favourable.

I think upgrading the euro positon is a great idea if Filyayev does not turn out. I have not seen enough from him yet to say he has earned a spot for the long term.
Digger
Digger

Postby CHL Watcher on Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:46 pm

Sokolov?

I think he's their Sundin.

No chance of a trade without handing over a bundle. As Digger said, Filyayev is a bit of an unknown....and that means you would be giving him away and then throwing in value (lots of value) to get Sokolov. They would want youth....as they seem to want to start with a bit of a clean slate.

Then...even if you succeed in getting Sokolov you may also regret it. Sokolov would be a great offensive add, but defensively...not so much (taken with the Sudbury overall defensive grain of salt). The picks and players the Attack would have to add may add up to a bad move.

I'm a wee bit afraid of a huge move because I feel the team is set for this year and next....and with some good moves on the GM's part...for much longer.

Careful is all I'm saying. Filyayev may be useful enough for now and I would like to see his trade value increased with some playing time. If time doesn't increase his value then definitely they should make a move. His value isn't much as a relative unknown...so no loss in giving him a chance.

Bottom line: I agree...but be careful because you're going to have to throw in a ton of picks and players.
CHL Watcher

Postby cubby01 on Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:17 pm

If you remember the 2011 Memorial Cup bound team had an in import player who was somewhat useful but was not really a game changer. I think this year's team has the depth to give Filyayev a chance to see if he can contribute. He certainly has the size to compete and it might be unfair to not give him time to get up to speed. No need to sell the future right now. The team has the talent to compete regardless of what the import contributes.
cubby01

Postby Noofgoof on Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:12 am

I would agree that he is likely a defensive liability. However it was just a name that stuck out with him being on Sudbury who we seem to like to trade with and being rather offesively gifted. Also since we seem to have a few extra Ohl caliber bodies and picks it seemed like a small possibility or potential fit. Most times when a team is making a run they usually take older euros or players in general. No offence to Filyayev because I have yet to see him play but if there is any chance at a european upgrade why not take it. Sokolov likely would not have anywhere near the +/- rating if he had the kind of defensive core/system OS ran last year but who knows. The other side of it is a player with his offensive upside will like others said cost a fortune and its not the kind of trade Degray usually is in for he has a bigger tendency to find diamonds in the rough for shockingly good prices over the last few years that make other teams look silly and make us look like bandits. Also as others have said if were looking for an upgrade it may not have to be a european we could replace them with a more talented north american playeras there is no rule stating you have to have 2 but that is tough when you convince a guy to leave his native country to come play jr hockey. All in all I hope Filyayev can get used to the canadian style hockey and maybe prove he belongs here and then we dont need to trade and are set up better for next year also.
Noofgoof

Postby attackisback on Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:17 am

gadjovich Suzuki Hancock
sushko Lyszczarczyk Dudas
Filyayev Szypula Pryce
Campbell Russell Morino/ Doherty/groulx/bourque?

Leaving Struthers, roberts as well

not much room left at forward

Phillips durzi

cameron friend

Chibrikov King

Bourque?

Postby cubby01 on Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:51 am

How can you leave Struthers out? He has been solid so far and has steadily improved since he started here. I
cubby01

Postby hockeyfan99 on Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:47 pm

This is how I see things playing out...

Gad/Suzuki/Hancock
Sushko/Dudas/Laser
Szypula/Struthers/Pryce
Campbell/Filyayev/Roberts

Friend/Phillips
Durzi/Bourque (there is no way Bourque isn't in the top 4)
King/Beamish
Cameron

This is exactly why one or two trades will happen. Way too many players for a few precious spots.
hockeyfan99

Postby CHL Watcher on Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:12 pm

That's pretty close to how I see it. The tough part is going to be deciding which center plays center on which line and when. There are two or more choices for each line (even the top line...though I would tend not to play around with that line).

Bourque is a top four on any team at this stage in his junior career. Defense first type of guy.....and every team needs two of those and two responsible gamblers alongside. That's a top four. Friend/Phillips, Bourque/Durzi
Cameron and King are the legit 5/6 guys and all the others are here to push them out......because that's just the way it goes.

I'm not sure why you have Bourque in your offensive list, attackisback?

As for Struthers....
I would think the GM is looking for unheralded gems, rather than trading guaranteed development money away. Struthers will go in the first three rounds of the next NHL draft and be a core player for the next couple of years. Trading him would set me off like the Blandisi blunder did. DD hasn't messed up often, but let's not go there right now.
CHL Watcher

Postby cubby01 on Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:10 pm

I like that lineup a lot. Solid forwards and the top 4 D is really strong. As for Struthers, I could see him being the second line centre and putting up big numbers. He might do what Gadjo did last year if he gets to play with some good linemates. Thanks to Watcher for bringing up the Blandisi trade!! We have all been trying to forget that......
cubby01

Postby Digger on Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:04 pm

my line up sees the following

gadjovich hancock suzuki
lyszczarczyk dudas szypula
sushko struthers campbell
roberts russell pryce

groulx filyayev moro doherty as extras

friend phillips
bourque durzi
cameron king

beamish chibrikov as extras

I also don't believe this lineup will be what is final on January 10th

The main problem I see going forward is keeping the 3rd year (18 yr old) forwards happy.

How long will it be before parents and agents get involved with the kids who are not in the line up regularly?
Digger
Digger

PreviousNext

Return to Electric Ice Forum