2017-2018 Training Camp

A forum for all fans of the Owen Sound Attack of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Digger, waudby

2017-2018 Training Camp

Postby attackisback on Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:20 pm

http://attackhockey.com/article/attack- ... ining-camp

AUGUST 16, 2017
Attack announce 2017 Training Camp

The Owen Sound Attack will start the build up to the 2017-18 Ontario Hockey League season when training camp commences on Monday, Aug. 28 at the Harry Lumley Bayshore Community Centre.

The Attack’s 2017 Rookie Camp, which will be headlined by Mitchell Russell, Owen Sound’s 1st round pick in the 2017 OHL Priority Selection, and Vasili Filyayev, the team’s lone pick in the 2017 CHL Import Draft.

Russell and Filyayev will be joined by a collection of other Attack draft picks and free agents, all of whom will be competing for a spot in the main portion of training camp, which will begin on Wednesday, Aug. 30.

All on-ice sessions of training camp, which can be found below, are open to the public. Single game seats for all 2017-18 Owen Sound Attack home games will also go on sale on Monday, Aug. 28 at the MacVicar & McComb ReMax Attack Box Office, online at www.attackhockey.com, or by calling 519-371-7452.

Season Ticket Holders are invited to the Attack’s 2nd annual Town Hall Meeting, which will be held on Sunday, Sept. 3 from 11:00am – 12:00pm in the Bayshore’s Shore Room 2. The event will allow Season Ticket Holders the opportunity to pick up their Season Ticket Booklets, as well as ask questions of General Manager Dale DeGray and Head Coach Todd Gill.

Media members please note, all players remaining in camp after Friday, Sept. 1 will be made available for interviews at 1:00pm on Saturday, Sept. 2.

A full schedule for the Attack’s 2017 Training Camp as well as exhibition games can be found below.

ROOKIE CAMP 2017-18
MONDAY AUGUST 28

9:00am-9:50 am Team 1 Practice at Bayshore
10:15am-11:30am Team 1 vs. Team 2 Scrimmage at Bayshore
11:40am-12:30pm Team 2 Practice at Bayshore
3:00pm-4:30pm Team 2 vs. Team 1 Scrimmage at Bayshore

TUESDAY AUGUST 29

9:00am-9:50am Team 2 Practice at Bayshore
10:15am-11:30am Team 2 vs. Team 1 Scrimmage at Bayshore
11:40am-12:30pm Team 1 Practice at Bayshore
3:00pm-4:30pm Team 1 vs. Team 2 Scrimmage at Bayshore

MAIN CAMP 2017-18
WEDNESDAY AUGUST 30

1:30pm – 2:50 pm Team 1 Practice at Bayshore
3:00pm – 4:20 pm Team 2 Practice at Bayshore

THURSDAY AUGUST 31

9:00am -10:10 am Team 1 Practice at Bayshore
10:10am -11:10am Team 1 vs. Team 2 Scrimmage at Bayshore
11:20am -12:30pm Team 2 Practice at Bayshore
3:00pm – 4:20 pm Team 1 vs. Team 2 Scrimmage at Bayshore

FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 1

9:00am -9:50 am Team 2 Practice at Bayshore
9:50am -10:50am Team 2 vs. Team 1 Scrimmage at Bayshore
11:00am -11:50am Team 1 Practice at Bayshore
6:00pm – 7:20 pm RED/WHITE Scrimmage at Bayshore

EXHIBITION SCHEDULE

Sunday, Sept. 3 – 2:00pm VS Barrie at The Harry Lumley Bayshore Community Centre
Monday, Sept. 4 – 6:00pm @ Barrie
Wednesday, Sept. 13 – 7:05pm @ Oshawa
Saturday, Sept. 16 – 2:00pm VS North Bay at the Harry Lumley Bayshore Community Centre
Sunday, Sept. 17 – 2:00pm @ North Bay

*Tickets for Home Exhibition Games are General Admission and are $10 for Adults and $5 for Children.*
attackisback

Re: 2017-2018 Training Camp

Postby attackisback on Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:38 am

Day 1 of Camp starts today. Is the import pick in town?
attackisback

Postby CHL fan on Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:08 pm

There's a tweet from Andy Brown with a picture of Filyayev and DeGray both shaking hands with and Attack jersey. Sorry, don't know how to share a tweet on here.

The kid looks tall but very lean.
CHL fan

Postby hockeyhockeyhockey on Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:51 pm

Yes he's on the ice, as is Chibrikov.
your Owen Sound Attack...

2011 OHL Champions
2011 Western Conference Champions
2011 Mid-West Division Regular Season Champions
2011 OHL Memorial Cup Participant
hockeyhockeyhockey

Postby CHL Watcher on Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:26 pm

Any early impressions?

Any thoughts on prospects we haven't discussed much or at all?

Free agents that stand out?

Anyone from an earlier draft class that looks particularly good or improved?

Any conspicuous absences?

There always seems to be at least one or two surprises.
CHL Watcher

Postby Digger on Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:42 pm

Scrimmage 1

3-2 white

White goals scored by Moro, Butchart, Koetsier

Red goals scored by Davis, Lovisek

Scrimmage 2

4-3 white

White goals scored by Moro, Simard, Hicks, Klazer

Red goals scored by Davis x2 Doherty,

Players who I thought looked good were.

Moro
Degiorgis
Haile
Davis
Chibrikov
Lovisek
Digger
Digger

Postby Puro_man on Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:39 pm

I didnt see the first Scrimmage.
The second scrimmage Russell didn't play. Lucas Crawford is now playing forward, he was drafted as a d-man.
A few stood out to me
Doherty, plays with a edge
Chibrikov is a big kid. Needs a year to grow into his frame
Simard can skate pretty well for a bigger guy
Moro looks really good, I can see him on this team.
Puro_man

Postby CHL Watcher on Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:43 pm

Puro_man wrote:A few stood out to me
Doherty, plays with a edge
Chibrikov is a big kid. Needs a year to grow into his frame
Simard can skate pretty well for a bigger guy
Moro looks really good, I can see him on this team.

Digger wrote:Players who I thought looked good were.

Moro
Degiorgis
Haile
Davis

Chibrikov
Lovisek

Interesting you both mention Moro. He would be a sure thing in any other year, from what I've seen. He's not very big, but that isn't an issue if you don't have 20 guys just the same. There is room for high end talent, regardless of size.....in any normal year.

I wonder if the Attack would consider carrying 1 or 2 extra in an extraordinary year? Or would spots be at an absolute premium, so as not to run out if opportunities pop up?

The team will be hit hard by graduation in the next two years. It's nice to know the future is good to go (Dudas/Struthers/Guzda/Groulx/Chibrikov/Russell/Moro and so on)

Anyway....thanks for the info on rookie camp.
Last edited by CHL Watcher on Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:06 pm, edited 10 times in total.
CHL Watcher

Postby Digger on Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:08 pm

CHL Watcher wrote:Any early impressions?

Any thoughts on prospects we haven't discussed much or at all?

Free agents that stand out? No

Anyone from an earlier draft class that looks particularly good or improved? Jackson Doherty

Any conspicuous absences?

Dylan Wendt but they knew that going into camp.
Tyson Koopman
Josh Graziano
Eric Cerantola decided to play baseball
Spencer Kersten going to school
Ben Schultheis
Alex Tower

There always seems to be at least one or two surprises.
Digger
Digger

Postby Digger on Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:32 pm

Attack rookies arrive at camp

By Rob Gowan, Sun Times, Owen Sound
Monday, August 28, 2017 4:27:49 EDT PM

Main camp opens Wednesday for the Attack. (Rob Gowan The Sun Times)

Owen Sound Attack camp opened on Monday for the rookies and as it is every year, it was full of surprises.
"It is always full of surprises and some surprises are good and some surprises are bad," General manager Dale DeGray said following Monday's morning session. "But we are talking about 16- and 17-year-old kids and the first day and first time there are a lot of nerves involved."
The rookie camp opened on Monday morning with about 40 players and will continue on Tuesday before the main camp opens on Wednesday with returning players.
Most of the Attack's picks from this year's draft were in camp on Monday, with the exception of American Dylan Wendt, who the Attack picked in the fifth round, 20th overall. Others in camp included players from the 2016 draft, as well as some free agents.
Practices and scrimmages were scheduled for both the morning and afternoon on both Monday and Tuesday. DeGray said that although it was early, after Monday's morning skates he thought there was good tempo in the scrimmage and the goaltenders played well.
"I want to see it as it progresses and the cream will always come to the top," said DeGray. "Right now it is Day 1 and everything has been thrown into the pot and we will see what happens tomorrow afternoon."
Some notables in camp on Monday included Collingwood native Mitchell Russell, who the Attack took with their first pick, 20th overall, in April's draft, as well as goalie Mack Guzda, who Owen Sound took in the second round, 31st overall. Also in camp was Belarusian Vasili Flyayev, who Owen Sound took 55th overall in the Canadian Hockey League Import Draft in June.
The Attack are expected to be a veteran-laden team this season with most of the squad from last year returning. But DeGray said he has told the young rookies not to get caught up looking at returning players.
"The whole idea in junior hockey is to have as good a player as a third-year veteran in a 16- or a 17-year-old rookie," said DeGray. "Their job is to get us to consider them to move a veteran and that is it. The rest of it is up to me and up to the staff."
DeGray said the one thing the players must do is leave everything they have out on the ice.
"That is all I can ask and that is all they can ask of themselves is to give everything they have got in that short little spurt," said DeGray. "If they do that and it wasn't enough, then it wasn't enough."
DeGray said he uses Jacob Friend as an example, who came to the Attack as a walk-on and has since been drafted by the Los Angeles Kings.
"I don't understand why kids wouldn't look at that as a situation to maybe put themselves in, if they are walk-ons or if they are draft picks," said DeGray.
As for how many rookies advance to the main camp, DeGray said that number varies from year-to-year depending on how the rookies perform.
"Quite frankly I leave it up to the kids," said DeGray, who has had anywhere from nine move on, to between 14 and 18 the past couple of years. "It is dependent upon who deserves to go."
DeGray said Wednesday's first day of main camp will be about seeing all the players again and making sure they have had a good summer of training.
"Wednesday will be a day to just get back on the ice as a group," said DeGray. "Thursday it will start to be a little bit more physical and be more spirited because the veterans are now on the ice."
The players in camp on Wednesday will include all returning players that are 19 and under, including those who have been drafted by National Hockey League clubs. Those players are expected to depart for NHL training camps the middle of next week.
And it won't be long until the players are tested in a game situation as the Attack are slated to play host to the Barrie Colts on Sunday at 2 p.m. at the Harry Lumley Bayshore Community Centre. Owen Sound will be in Barrie for a game at 6 p.m. on Monday.
"Junior hockey is a quick process," said DeGray. "There is too little time to have any doubt in our minds whether or not you can play."
Digger
Digger

Postby CHL Watcher on Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:34 pm

Thanks again.

I don't suppose the Attack would see fit to put their camp roster online?

There is interest in camp (always) and the timing (weekdays) is pretty bad for viewing. I know it isn't required, but they have to know there is interest.....

...so...what's taking so long?

The most important player on the team is the fan base. Nothing happens without them. Nothing.

Don't be coy.
CHL Watcher

Postby attackisback on Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:40 pm

as someone mentioned above theres print outs at the box office that can be obtained.
attackisback

Postby CHL Watcher on Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:15 pm

That should make it easy to get up on the web.

So, if I live in Lion's Head and work in Sauble until 5pm?

Like I said in the previous post. They need to think about it....for just a split second and just do it. Okay....maybe not "need to" but it would be a nice gesture.

Or not.

I imagine there are 5000 hardcore fans, judging by attendance....and another 10000 occasional/somewhat interested. Printouts will do for those few people who can be there easily.

Otherwise...?
CHL Watcher

Postby Digger on Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:18 pm

scrimmage #3

4-1 red

red goal scorers

hazell
doherty
tucker en

white goal scorers

sherwin

scrimmage #4

5-1 red

red goal scorers

filyayev ps
suzuki ps
davis
condetta
hazell

white goal scorer

crawford

Players that I noticed

doherty best player on the ice
davis
tucker
moro
chibrikov

No problem with goaltending with Guzda looking good as well
Digger
Digger

Postby Puro_man on Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:32 pm

Thoughts on day 2
I agree that Doherty was the best player today.
I can see why Russell was a first round pick.
Moro should be on this team in my opinion
Condotta is very very small, but he's a smart player. If he can grow a little he's going to be a great player
Guzda looks very solid in net
Puro_man

Next

Return to Electric Ice Forum