2017-2018 Training Camp

A forum for all fans of the Owen Sound Attack of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Digger, waudby

Re: 2017-2018 Training Camp

Postby Digger on Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:58 pm

Main camp roster

http://ohl.uploads.s3.amazonaws.com/app ... erical.pdf

Goodluck to all players
Digger
Digger

Postby CHL Watcher on Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:31 am

Thanks again, folks.

Great to hear your opinions.

Glad to hear Guzda looks solid. He's the future....and they'll need him this season, too....rookie or not. Chibrikov and Russell looking good = also a big deal.

I'm kind of hoping Moro makes the team. I have no idea about Doherty, but it sounds like he's turning heads.

Davis' name keeps appearing in the goal scorers' list. What's that about?

Can Filyayev skate?
CHL Watcher

Postby Puro_man on Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:38 pm

I'd say Filyayev is a decent skater.
Puro_man

Postby cubby01 on Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:59 pm

Any updates from today's session? Are there any more cuts or do they wait until Friday?
How is the little guy holding up?
cubby01

Postby Digger on Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:16 pm

cubby01 wrote:Any updates from today's session? Are there any more cuts or do they wait until Friday?
How is the little guy holding up?

Just pratices today. Likely no cuts until after Friday night scrimmage unless some players leave on their own. The little guy will not make it this year and will need to get bigger.
Digger
Digger

Postby attackisback on Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:40 am

http://www.owensoundsuntimes.com/2017/0 ... ack-on-ice

Attack vets back on ice
By Rob Gowan, Sun Times, Owen Sound
Wednesday, August 30, 2017 4:11:46 EDT PM

The Owen Sound Attack are back.
The Ontario Hockey League team opened the main portion of their training camp on Wednesday with more than 40 players hitting the ice at the Harry Lumley Bayshore Community Centre. The main camp started after 40 rookies took part in a two-day rookie camp, 22 of which advanced to the main camp.
"It has been a long time coming and I am getting that itch to get back into game shape," said defenceman Markus Phillips, now going into his third season with the Attack. "I am looking forward to getting camp started here."
A total of 24 forwards, 13 defencemen and five goalies are taking part in the main camp, which kicked off Wednesday with fitness testing, physicals, and two practice sessions. It was to continue Thursday and Friday with practices and scrimmages both days.
Phillips, 18, said he had a productive summer of working out and got on the ice almost daily.
"I was training six days a week and on the ice a lot," said Phillips, who never saw much game action over the summer. "I filled in in one or two men's league games, but that was it."
Owen Sound is looking to build on what was their most successful regular season in franchise history after finishing with a record of 49-15-2-2 and 102 points. Owen Sound was defeated in the Western Conference final in six games by the eventual OHL-champion Erie Otters.
The team continued that success with a record NHL draft, when six players were drafted, including Nick Suzuki (13th overall to Las Vegas), Jonah Gadjovich (53rd to Vancouver), Maksim Sushko (107th to Philadelphia), Phillips (118th to Los Angeles), Trenton Bourque (175th to St. Louis) and Petrus Palmu (185th to Vancouver).
Phillips said he is excited to get the season going.
"We have a good team and a bunch of good guys too," said Phillips. "I am really excited to get back into the swing of things."
Aidan Dudas is coming off his rookie season with the Attack and was also looking forward to getting back on the ice for his sophomore season.
"It almost feels like home a little bit," Dudas said of returning to Owen Sound. "Last year was fun and I am ready for another good year."
Dudas, 17, said his goal for the coming season is to earn the trust of the coaches and other players and by doing that he expects good things will come.
Dudas had a busy summer of training, but also saw lots of ice as he was part of the Canadian team that won gold at the Ivan Hlinka Memorial Cup under-18 championships in the Czech Republic earlier in August.
"It was a lot of fun," said Dudas. "We ended up getting the result we wanted to and I couldn't ask for more from it."
General Manager Dale DeGray said the players looked great on the first day of the main camp.
"This is the exciting part for me when you bring the young kids and mix them in with the veterans," said DeGray. "You see that the veterans have come in in fabulous shape, and with the amount of veterans we have, the pace of just the first session has been unbelievable."
DeGray said he was pleased with how the rookie camp shaped out with the players showing a great compete level and improvement each day.
"They are here now and they are going to get the chance to show their wares against our best players," said DeGray. "We will see where it all takes them."
DeGray said despite a large number of returning players, there are some major holes to fill on the team.
Notable losses for the team this season include graduating overagers Santino Centorame, Matt Schmalz and Cordell James. Finish import Palmu also won't be back after signing with HC TPS of the Finish Liiga in the off-season.
Another tough spot to fill for the Attack should be in goal, where 2016-17 OHL and CHL goalie of the year Michael McNiven is not expected to be back with the team this year as an overager.
"Through maturity or whatever you are always looking for kids to fill those holes," said DeGray. "How does a 16- or 17-year-old come back? Is he eight or 12 pounds heavier and stronger? Is he faster? Is he a better player? Does the game slow down for him because he has had a year under his belt? Those are all things you want to see over the next couple of days before we start the exhibition games."
There are also changes off the ice for the Attack as Todd Gill took over as head coach after Ryan McGill joined the NHL-expansion Las Vegas Golden Knights as an assistant coach in the off-season.
Among players eligible to return who were not on the ice on Wednesday were goalie Riley Daniels, who is nursing an injury, and Suzuki, who is busy at a mandated NHL conference in Washington. Both are expected to be on the ice in a couple of days.
The paring down process is expected to begin on Friday.
"I don't need to be at any number," said DeGray. "I just know we have got kids returning and you just want make sure you have the right amount of kids that are going to push kids, and push veterans."
The middle of next week, many of the players in camp will leave for their NHL training camps. DeGray expects most of those players to return, including sniper Suzuki.
"I think everybody else that has been drafted and going to camp I would expect them to be back," DeGray said earlier this week. "But I don't run the NHL teams so I don't know. I don't know exactly what they are thinking."
Owen Sound kicks off their exhibition schedule on Sunday when the Barrie Colts visit the Harry Lumley Bayshore for a 2 p.m. game. Owen Sound will travel to Barrie for a game on Monday evening.
attackisback

Postby Digger on Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:01 pm

main camp scrimmage 1

3-2 white team

red goals scored by

szypula
lyszczarczyk and that's a lot of zzzzzzzz

white goals scored by

gadjovich
russell
durzi
doherty

scrimmage 2

7-4 red team

red team goals scored by

campbell
lyszczarczyk and that's a lot of zzzzzzzz
pryce
moro
phillips
tucker X2 one in empty net

excellent games very fast paced

best I have seen our 1st rd pick look in camp
Digger
Digger

Postby CHL Watcher on Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:27 pm

Thanks again.

Not seeing this is bothering me....obviously.

The few clips I've seen look a lot faster...and more skilled....than camp generally looks. Is this a fair assessment? It looks really fast.

There will be almost no safe vets with prospects pushing like this. The survivors from this camp should make a heck of a team.

That guy with too many zeds in his name isn't taking anything for granted!
CHL Watcher

Postby Puro_man on Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:29 pm

This team is going to be really good
There are players that should play in this league, that won't have a spot.
The more I watch Davis, the more I like him.
Doherty and Moro I think would look good on this team, but who goes?
Sushko is going to have a great year!
Puro_man

Postby Sounder76 on Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:14 pm

We all know the pundits will adore our 102 point team, returning all but five or so players. The real test will be in net. Nivey was a stalwart and exhaled confidence. Teams start at the back out and we need Bowman to help Guzda progress quick. I don't personally like the London teams that throw in any random tender in front of a stacked team. I'd rather have solid tenders especially a true rook gaining valuable experience behind this stacked team.

This may be the best Attack team ever. Kudos to DeGray for building our program over the years. He is the mastermind behind all of this.
Sounder76

Postby attackisback on Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:53 am

Should be lots of national exposure for the city and team this year
attackisback

Postby hockeyfan99 on Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:36 pm

My .02 from what I have seen in training camp scrimmages so far.

-Aiden Dudas has been the best player on the ice. We have a great one here folks.
-I feel the D corp is going to be extremely strong and deep. I feel we have 7 very good blueliners, with plenty coming up the pipe.
-Guzda is the real deal. So quiet and positionally sound for a 16 year old. I like what I see from this young goalie.
-Lyszczarczyk is going to fit right into this top 9 forward group. Plays a puck-possession style game from what I can see. Nice pickup
-didn't see anything from Roberts or Struthers. They are going to have a tough time cracking the top 9 group with other youngsters like Dudas and Pryce looking good.
-Filyayev definitely has the size and strength but foot speed might be a problem. Definitely a worthwhile project to keep an eye on this year as a 4th line centre or depth.

This is a very deep group of players we have in OS. Let's buckle up and enjoy the ride as it should be a long one.
hockeyfan99

Postby Digger on Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:22 pm

Top pick Russell enjoying first Attack camp
By Rob Gowan, Sun Times, Owen Sound
Thursday, August 31, 2017 4:40:14 EDT PM

His first Ontario Hockey League camp has been an eye-opening experience for Mitchell Russell, but the 16-year-old has found a way to remain grounded through it all.
"It is a lot different than minor midget hockey. Everyone is a lot faster and bigger," Russell said Thursday afternoon following the first scrimmage of the main camp. "That is why everyone has been training all summer is to get ready for this camp, so it has been good so far."
The Attack picked Russell 20th overall in the first round of the Ontario Hockey League priority draft in the spring after he had been rated 10th on Owen Sound's internal player ranking. At the time of the pick, General Manager Dale DeGray touted Russell for having good skills and being a real strong skater.
Last season the Barrie native had 35 goals and 23 assists in 41 games with the Barrie Junior Colts minor midgets.
Russell said he had a busy summer of training, including a month in Oakville at BTNL Sports Performance and Therapy, which helped him prepare for Attack camp, when it opened on Monday.
"It has been high-paced with big bodies out there and it takes a little bit of time to get used to," Russell said. "Once I got used to it I fit in pretty good."
Russell said for the most part he prepared for this season the same way he always has, by giving his best effort in training.
"I always try to do my best, whether it is in the OHL or minor midget," said Russell. "The way I prepared for this year is pretty similar to minor midget."
Russell was one of 22 rookies who moved on from Monday and Tuesday's rookie camp to the main camp when it began on Wednesday. Other notable rookies who did make it on included 2017 second-round OHL draft picks goalie Mack Guzda (31st overall) and defenceman Igor Chibrikov (40th overall), as well as Owen Sound's pick from the 2017 Canadian Hockey League import draft, Vasili Filyayev.
Russell said it has been nice to join the veteran players and he is already learning from them.
"They have obviously been here for a few years and it is nice to learn from other people too," said Russell.
While the OHL is a new experience for Russell, he is hoping to have a good season. His plan is to keep working hard and he feels the results will come.
"Hopefully the team keeps winning like last year," said Russell. "That is all you can hope for."
Owen Sound is expected to have a talented, veteran-laden team this year with the majority of last season's record-setting team returning. Last season, Owen Sound posted their highest regular-season point total with 102 points and a record of 49-15-2-2.
Russell said he is excited to be coming into an environment where the players know what it is like to win at the OHL level.
"Knowing we are going to be a pretty good team it is going to be a fun ride," said Russell. "As long as I can try to contribute and work hard, we will see what happens."
Rusell said playing in the OHL has always been a dream of his and when he heard his name called on draft day back in the spring it was a pretty exciting moment.
"I just want to keep working hard and maybe the dream will come true and I will some day play professional," said Russell.
The teen actually hadn't been to Owen Sound before being drafted by the Attack, but so far he has enjoyed getting to know the city and the people in it.
"The community really comes together and I think that is why the team is so successful," said Russell. "I have actually met quite a few people around the community and they are so good and they love the team."
Head coach Todd Gill, who is himself in his first season with the team after being hired in the off-season, said making the step to the OHL is a huge one for the rookies and he feels the Attack are doing it right by giving the youngsters two days of camp before bringing in the veteran players.
"You bring them in for two days and they are kind of playing against their peers so they are not like a deer in the headlights," said Gill. "The ones that are fortunate enough to stay get an opportunity to see these guys and how they represent themselves in the weightroom, how they take care of themselves and how they eat.
"Then they get on the ice and say, 'wow, I thought I worked hard this summer, but I really got to work hard at it.' It is a great learning tool for them."
The more than 40 players in camp got their first taste of scrimmages at the main camp on Thursday with a pair of scrimmages to go along with their practices.
They will be back on the ice on Friday with another scrimmage and a couple of practices, followed by the Red/White game in the evening at 6 p.m.
Friday is when the first cuts are expected in advance of Sunday's exhibition season opener at 2 p.m. at the Harry Lumley Bayshore Community Centre.
Digger
Digger

Postby cubby01 on Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:18 pm

From tonight's scrimmage
Sushko - looks strong and confidant
Struthers - seemed to be finding his stride tonight
Roberts - not so good
Beamish and Cameron - both about the same level, King is the best of these three
Bourque, Phillips Durzi and Friend - solid
Russell - gonna be a good one
Chibrikov - maybe next year
Lysczarczyk - solid OHLer
Goaltending - hard to tell at this point
Doherty, Moro, Crawford - all seemed to fit
Groulx - overshadowed by the rookies

Tough job for the staff to figure this out - I guess we have to wait and see who is left for the exhibition games.
cubby01

Postby Digger on Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:15 am

Scrimmage 3
3-2 red

Red goal scorers
Moro
Lovisek
lyszczarczyk that's a lot of zedz

White goal scorers
m.suzuki
gadjovich