Random thoughts ...so far, so good

A forum for all fans of the Owen Sound Attack of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Digger, waudby

Random thoughts ...so far, so good

Postby CHL Watcher on Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:25 am

The Attack seem like they still have what it takes....no surprise, really.

Two wins...veterans doing all the damage. It will take time for everyone to get up to speed.

Chibrikov was +3 yesterday.

This team could have a long list of 20+ goal scorers and will have a record list of 10+.

Sudbury fan on HF Board thinks the Polish laser could pick up 80 points this season. If he's wrong I don't see it yet. Great pick-up.

Good on both goaltenders. Congrats to Guzda on holding the fort for the win.

Good player mix and perhaps a little motivation by the coach and then some nice resilience by the team.

I still cannot get over how loaded this team looks. There will be plenty of eyes on this season's group. Once again, scouts will want to check these guys out...a lot.

Vella fought hard in a shoot-out loss yesterday....and statistically speaking, it looks like he did his part. Good for him.

London's penalty minutes are off the charts after two games. Just about double of a normal season for a normal team. I know it's early, but they better curb their enthusiasm.

Owen Sound still needs to make a trade of two or three players for picks/one player...minimum move. All other things being equal, I'd decide the player(s) moved based on lack of on-ice discipline. Penalties are an issue with some and there are options who don't carry that liability. Nuff said there.

On the whole, the team shows a strong will to win....which we have come to expect. Credit to the Colts, in my opinion, for making it difficult.
CHL Watcher

Re: Random thoughts ...so far, so good

Postby attackisback on Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:35 am

remember its two EXHIBITION games vs a rebuilding barrie team. dont let your hype mete break yet. Wait until after the first few regular season games ad go from there.
attackisback

Postby CHL Watcher on Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:38 am

attackisback wrote:remember its two EXHIBITION games vs a rebuilding barrie team. dont let your hype mete break yet. Wait until after the first few regular season games ad go from there.

Sorry, what?

I've been watching this league for 40 years. I think I know what time of the season we're at. I'm not judging anything beyond what is obvious.

But I still don't know what you said.

Meter?

ah, got it...no worries.

By the way....that rebuilding Barrie team had a game against a mock rebuilding Attack team with the kid in net in their own barn and the Attack rebounded for a win. That's worth pointing out.

Everyone is rebuilding in pre-season....because there will be vets not playing no matter who you play....Owen Sound is heavily affected by this, as are all of the best teams.
I'm just saying...and I mean this...

I have seen maybe five or six junior teams in the last few decades that look this good going in....and I'm stretching...big time...Never seen it here.
CHL Watcher

Postby kjh on Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:32 am

Looking back on Victor Mete's refusal to report to the Attack, I think that Owen Sound fans can now appreciate that event as being a blessing in disguise. Had that not occurred, how many key players who are now contributing to the team's status would be there...as opposed to having that single player on your roster ? I know that back when the Knights/Attack made that trade, many Owen Sound fans weren't all that pleased with the outcome, but now are seeing the fruits of that transaction coming to fruition.

Drafting a player who has made it known that he has no intention of reporting can become beneficial, and I feel that the Attack's current status as a projected top competitor illustrates that it can work out.
Because I don't agree with your point, doesn't mean that I "don't get it". The possibility exists that I get it.....but still don't agree.
kjh

Postby CHL Watcher on Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:14 am

Mete got instant gratification (rode on some coat tails). He's a great player, but....Owen Sound did the right thing and got Suzuki and Phillips out of it.

I prefer character players with talent anyway. <(I took a bit of a cheap shot there; sorry)
This is and always will be a hard working franchise.....and it won't ever be easy. Those who want easy can go elsewhere, in my opinion.

I think the new rule will curb the non-reporting impact completely. Please, please, please don't report.

But it hasn't just been the Mete thing....
Attack drafting has been outstanding for a few years. Trades have been pretty astute. Coaching hires have been astute. GM hire was a big win for ownership. Development has been outstanding. It all shows.

The franchise has a few good years ahead. Recent drafts should develop well. The atmosphere is right. They may or may not fade....depending on the up-and-coming.
CHL Watcher

Postby CHL Watcher on Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:53 pm

Another random thought....

Sudbury is a toxic environment.

Millpond.....get a load of the response to your post on the Sudbury thread in the HF Board. Says everything, doesn't it? Granted...this guy doesn't represent everyone who cheers for the Wolves....but...it isn't good nonetheless.

Here in OS we tend to wish people well. There are rare exceptions, but this would not be one of them.

Very much an old Toronto Make Believe approach to success I'm hearing from this person (Wolfman). Blame one or two of your best because four or five guys couldn't do it all by themselves and the weight was becoming unbearable....the dream nowhere in sight. Find scapegoats for your incompetence. Rinse and repeat....learn nothing....ever. Hint: it doesn't work.

Finding room for "young emerging stars"...like Laser once was? In the mean time Sokolov or Sundin or Clark or Sittler or Salming will be sufficient to stem the tide and build a winner around...one player at a time...for about 60 years. Be careful not to get too many of these types on one roster. Whenever you do decide to throw the bathwater out be sure to include the baby.

Schmalz did nothing?
Again...here's someone who doesn't understand what kind of make-up is required for success. Schmalz was a giant in a china shop....and pretty clean about it. He absolutely overpowered everyone down the wing. He wore people down and he never let up. He was a team first guy. He wanted to win.

Oh, and thank Sudbury for Bourque, too, if you get the chance. Think he would have been drafted in the dumb-ster fire that is Sudbury? I noticed Bourque wasn't mentioned. :lol:

Please....more trades with Sudbury...stat. The Attack should continue to help them "rebuild". :twisted:

Can't wait for the first meeting. Argh.
CHL Watcher

Postby hockeyhockeyhockey on Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:15 pm

I heard Smaltz was huge in the room last season. And upped his game in the playoffs.

The Attack have all oars rowing the same direction .

Let's see how Bowman and Lazer turn out .
I'm betting there's no let up in their game this season .
your Owen Sound Attack...

2011 OHL Champions
2011 Western Conference Champions
2011 Mid-West Division Regular Season Champions
2011 OHL Memorial Cup Participant
hockeyhockeyhockey

Return to Electric Ice Forum