Lean Machine - NHL training camps

A forum for all fans of the Owen Sound Attack of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Digger, waudby

Lean Machine - NHL training camps

Postby CHL Watcher on Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:34 pm

Trent Bourque – St. Louis Blues
Sean Durzi – New York Islanders
Jacob Friend – Los Angeles Kings
Jonah Gadjovich – Vancouver Canucks
Kevin Hancock – Tampa Bay Lightning
Markus Phillips – Los Angeles Kings
Zachary Roberts – Dallas Stars
Maksim Sushko – Philadelphia Flyers
Nick Suzuki – Vegas Golden Knights
Ethan Szypula – Edmonton Oilers

This will be a challenging period for the remaining players. The forward group will be somewhat inexperienced, and the defense will be extremely so. Goaltenders may see a wee difference in front of them. It should be interesting. Good luck to the guys that are staying here.

...and good luck to the twelve (not ten, as listed above) that are going!

including the still eligible players that nobody expects back (but still count in the franchise success story!!!)

Petrus Palmu – Vancouver Canucks
Michael McNiven - Montreal Canadians

Another Attack/Platers record?

10 players we count as likely to return and 2 that we don't count is actually 12 eligible players in one season! That's a wicked good result. Just because they're not coming back doesn't mean the Attack didn't send them there this year! Credit where due.
CHL Watcher

Re: Lean Machine - NHL training camps

Postby attackisback on Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:19 pm

http://www.owensoundsuntimes.com/2017/0 ... -nhl-camps

The Owen Sound Attack will see a mass exodus of players to NHL rookie camps this week.
A total of 10 players, including six drafted players and four free agent invitees, from the OHL squad are leaving Owen Sound to skate with various NHL clubs on Wednesday.
General Manager Dale DeGray admitted having so many players going to camps leaves a lot of questions with the team, but it is a problem he is more than happy to have.
"If I could get 18 or 20 guys to go, with the experience they have when they comne back and their extra thirst and drive to get there, you can't beat it," said DeGray. "I can't provide that. That is only something an NHL camp and team can provide for these players."
A record six Attack players were drafted by NHL clubs in June's NHL draft and the five of those that have returned to the Attack this season are heading to NHL camps.
They include Nick Suzuki (13th overall to Las Vegas), Jonah Gadjovich (53rd to Vancouver), Maksim Sushko (107th to Philadelphia), Markus Phillips (118th to Los Angeles), and Trenton Bourque (175th to St. Louis). The other drafted player heading to an NHL rookie camp is Jacob Friend, who was taken 202nd overall by Los Angeles in the 2016 NHL draft.
The other Attack players who are headed to camps as free agent invitees are overager Ethan Szypula, who will skate at the Edmonton Oilers camp, Sean Durzi with the New York Islanders, Kevin Hancock with the Tampa Bay Lightning and Zachary Roberts with the Dallas Stars camp.
DeGray believes the number of players heading off to NHL camps is the most since he joined the Attack as general manager in 2007. But he feels even more players could have gone.
"I think they all warranted an opportunity and some other guys warrant an opportunity," said DeGray. "It is easier for me to say that because I see them daily and we can experience and appreciate more of what they are as opposed to a scout who comes in and watches a game here and then they come back a month later."
DeGray said the team has kept extra players in camp with all the guys heading off to NHL camps. Currently there are 27 players with the team, with DeGray expecting to get that number down to 23 or 24 players when the season starts on Sept. 23. He said he will likely wait until players start trickling back from the NHL camps before making any moves, but some moves will have to be made.
DeGray expects some of the players at NHL camps to be back, but it is up to the NHL clubs if and when they do return.
"One thing I don't do is call any NHL teams to see where guys are at," said DeGray. "That is their dream and who am I to call them."
The Attack opened their exhibition schedule on Sunday at home, where they defeated the Barrie Colts 5-1. Owen Sound followed that up with a 5-3 road win in Barrie on Monday.
DeGray said a trade made with Sudbury before camp opened paid off in the first game as overage goalie Zack Bowman made 16 saves in the win and forward Alan Lyszczarczyk scored two goals.
"That is something I want to continue to build on is to have Lyszczarczyk and Bowman continue to be an integral part and grow with us as new guys," said DeGray.
Owen Sound needed to come from behind on Monday after going down 3-1 after two periods. DeGray said he believes coach Todd Gill reminded the team after two periods that decisions still need to be made and the players came out and played better in the third.
"We played hard, we played faster and we executed much better," said DeGray. "I thought in that game our goalie Mack Guzda played well for a 16-year-old playing his first Major Junior game of any sort."
Owen Sound won't see game action again until Sept. 13 when they travel to Oshawa to take on the Generals at 7:05 p.m. Their next home game is against North Bay on Sept. 16 at 2 p.m. at the Harry Lumley Bayshore Community Centre.
DeGray said the next week will include their regular practices, with the players heading to the 4th Canadian Division Training Centre Meaford for some team building, bonding and leadership exercises, with a little bit of boot camp thrown in.
Owen Sound's first game of the regular season is Sept. 23 at 7:30 p.m. at the Lumley-Bayshore against the Flint Firebirds.
attackisback

Postby attackisback on Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:54 am

attackisback

Postby attackisback on Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:56 am

suzuki playing game # 2 sept 19,2017 vs colorado

https://www.nhl.com/goldenknights/news/ ... -291155174
attackisback

Return to Electric Ice Forum