Big challenge - Ex game #3

A forum for all fans of the Owen Sound Attack of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Digger, waudby

Big challenge - Ex game #3

Postby CHL Watcher on Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:57 pm

In what seems like as meaningless exhibition game...

...the time to make a lasting impression has arrived.

In order to have a good outcome some of the new guys will have to step up.

It will be interesting to see how our goaltending does.....how the team defense makes out...and who can put the puck in the net (or contribute to the same). Then there's the powerplay, penalty kill and four on four.....which should be interesting to say the least.
CHL Watcher

Re: Big challenge - Ex game #3

Postby hockeyhockeyhockey on Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:43 pm

So far so good.

Attack out shooting Oshawa 23-12 end of 2nd.
Leading 2-1

Groulx and King with fighting majors snd tossed
your Owen Sound Attack...

2011 OHL Champions
2011 Western Conference Champions
2011 Mid-West Division Regular Season Champions
2011 OHL Memorial Cup Participant
hockeyhockeyhockey

Postby hockeyhockeyhockey on Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:56 pm

Mitchell Russell with the natural hattie.

Atk 3-1 3rd period.

2011 OHL Champions
hockeyhockeyhockey

Postby hockeyhockeyhockey on Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:18 pm

Well the kids are alright.
4-1 win on the road, Mitchell Russell 1st star eith a hat trick, Aiden Dudas with SH EN, and Mack Guzda posts a goose egg in his half game worked.

That should tick all your boxes, Watcher.

The team was missing 11 regulars, dressed 13 forwards and 4 dmen

2011 OHL Champions
hockeyhockeyhockey

Postby Puro_man on Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:29 pm

well that was impressive. To start the game with 10 forwards and 4 d, and finish with 9 and 3.
Going to be fun this year.
Who goes when the vets come back?
Puro_man

Postby attackisback on Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:40 pm

http://attackhockey.com/article/russell ... meback-win

The Owen Sound Attack needed a stellar effort from a rookie to come back from 1-0 down to the Oshawa Generals on Wednesday, Sept. 13, but four straight goals over the final two periods gave the Bayshore Boys a 4-1 win in their 3rd exhibition game of the season.

A hat-trick from Mitchell Russell spurred the comeback for the Attack, who also got a goal from Aidan Dudas in the come from behind win and moved to 3-0 in the pre-season action.

The Generals opened the scoring in the neutral site game when Allan McShane tickled the twine at the 8:12 mark of the opening frame, forcing the Attack to head to the 2nd period trailing 1-0, despite outshooting Oshawa 13-7.

The momentum that the visitors built up in the 1st did eventually pay off though, and at the 2:26 mark of the middle stanza, rookie Mitchell Russell notched his first of the pre-season to even things back up. The Attack’s 1st selection in the 2017 OHL Priority Selection, Russell found the back of the net with a shorthanded tally, capitalizing on a feed from Daylon Groulx.

Things would stat tied at one until Russell picked up his 2nd of the evening almost exactly 10:00 after he scored his first.

This time, Russell took a feed from Vasili Filyaev and then went high with a snapshot to put Owen Sound ahead by a 2-1 score at the 12:27 mark of the 2nd.

Russell’s goal would spell the end of the game for Generals’ netminder Logan Gauthier, who turned in 18 saves on 20 shots in 32:27 of action.

He was replaced by Nathan Torchia, while Mack Guzda also came in to give Zack Bowman a break after Bowman made 11 stops on 12 Oshawa attempts.

Owen Sound’s one goal margin grew to a pair thanks to another early period goal off of the stick of Mitchell Russell who scored again 4:26 of the 3rd period to make it 3-1 and a natural hat-trick for the rookie. Snagging the assists on Russell’s 3rd of the evening were Alan Lyszczarczyk and Nick Pryce.

The Attack were good for one more goal on the night, another shorthanded goal that came courtesy of Aidan Dudas.

With 1:07 left in regulation, Dudas muscled the puck into the empty net to make it a 4-1 final for the Attack, getting assists from Chase Campbell and Igor Chibrikov along the way.

Dudas was named the Mac Taylor Corporation 2nd Star of the Game for his efforts while Mitchell Russell earned 1st star on the evening. Oshawa’s Allan McShane was named the game’s 3rd star.

The duo of Zack Bowman and Mack Guzda combined to make 18 stops on 19 shots on the evening as the Mark McDade Chestnut Park Real Estate shots on goal finished at 29-19 in favour of the Attack.

Owen Sound will play their next game on Saturday, Sept. 16 when the North Bay Battalion come to town for a 2:00pm game that falls in the middle of Owen Sound Rib Fest.

The Attack and Rib Fest have partnered to provide all fans in attendance at Saturday’s game with free admission and a food voucher for Rib Fest, valid for either Saturday, Sept. 16 or Sunday, Sept. 17.

Fans must simply present their Attack ticket at the Rib Fest gate to receive free entry as well as a voucher for two free sides with the purchase of a rack of ribs.

Tickets for Saturday’s game are available at the MacVicar & McComb ReMax Attack Box Office, while tickets for all regular season Attack games can also be purchased online at www.attackhockey.com, or by calling 519-371-7452.

Saturday’s game will be available LIVE on Rogers Local 53.

Parking at the Bayshore will be limited on the weekend, and fans in attendance at both Rib Fest and the Attack vs. Battalion game are encouraged to arrive early and park in the front of the Bayshore, OR, park at the Owen Sound Health Clinic and take the shuttle being provided by Rib Fest to the Bayshore.

All accessible and suite parking at the rear of the Bayshore will not be compromised by Rib Fest, while parking at the side and front of the Bayshore will be available.

For more information on Rib Fest please click HERE.

This season of Attack Hockey is brought to you by Lerner’s Personal Injury Lawyers and Bertrand & Muzzell Personal Injury Lawyers.
attackisback

Postby hockeyhockeyhockey on Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:32 am

CHL Watcher wrote:
It will be interesting to see how our goaltending does.....how the team defense makes out...and who can put the puck in the net (or contribute to the same). Then there's the powerplay, penalty kill and four on four.....which should be interesting to say the least.

I think the Genies were 0 for 4 or 5 on the PP.

Considering the Attack played the last 40% of the game with 3 dmen, and two were rookies...I'd have to like that.

Getting four goals by a couple of first round picks just barely old enough to drive, also looks very promising.

Guzda with a shutout in his half, the Aatack with two Shorties, including a four on six by Dudas in the dying minutes
All point to good things

And they outshot the Genies by almost 2-1, and after 3 exxy games the best goal differential
Yes these games are meaningless in the standings, but can be a Guage by which to judge how the players are learning and adapting to the new coaches systems .

2011 OHL Champions
hockeyhockeyhockey

Postby stevey on Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:29 am

While these gm's don't mean anything in the standings it gives the staff especially Coach Gill a good look at what kind of compete level he is going to battle with.I bet after that he has a nice warm fuzzy feeling.Being so shorthanded and with limited JR experiance it would have been easy for the boy's to try and be superstars and end up losing. It sounds like we have some COMPETE from our youngsters which is a good feeling.All I ask for is there best honest effort.
stevey

Postby CHL Watcher on Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:07 pm

This is a game that I wish I had seen.

Like you say, "warm fuzzy". Coach (and everyone else) must be feeling pretty good about that effort.

'On paper' it's a bit astounding, really. I fully expected less.

"The kids are alright"
CHL Watcher

Postby attackisback on Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:45 pm

a few hundred tickets left for the home opener saturday sept 23, hopefully people will snatch these up soon.
attackisback

Postby hockeyhockeyhockey on Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:20 pm

Based on pre season and ST sales, the fans are pumped about this team .

2011 OHL Champions
hockeyhockeyhockey

Postby Sounder76 on Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:36 am

OSHAWA 6, PETERBOROUGH 5 – SO
In Peterborough, Renars Krastenbergs scored in the fourth round of a shootout to give the Oshawa Generals a 6-5 win over the Petes. Peterborough fought back from a 3-1 deficit after one period, eventually knotting the score at three on a penalty shot by Tyler Rollo midway through the second period. Down 5-4 with under three minutes to go in regulation, Pavel Gogolev struck on the power play with assists from Matthew Timms and Semyon Der-Arguchintsev to send the game to a shootout tied 5-5. Oshawa’s Logan Gauthier turned aside all four shooters he faced in addition to his 26 saves on the night to secure the victory. Peterborough’s Hunter Jones made 28 saves in the loss. Gogolev scored twice on the night for the Petes while Nick Robertson and Adam Timleck also tallied. Oshawa goals came from Serron Noel, Krastenbergs, Sullivan Sparkes, Nick Wong and Kenny Huether. The Generals are 1-1-1 in pre-season play while the Petes sit at 1-2-1.

Took the beasts of the East OT and a SO o get by Petes....

Think we have something special this year folks!

Stacked so much we have to move quality off the roster. make a 2 for 1 DD and get a lefty snipe here......
Sounder76

Postby attackisback on Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:52 am

i wouldnt call oshawa the beasts of the east, mississauga and kingston will be better than oshawa.

Its exhibition. Lets go next saturday when the games mean something and full lineups are played.
attackisback

Postby attackisback on Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:52 am

http://www.owensoundsuntimes.com/2017/0 ... rs-step-up

Attack youngsters step up
By Rob Gowan, Sun Times, Owen Sound
Thursday, September 14, 2017 4:04:46 EDT PM

With so many Owen Sound Attack veterans away at NHL camps, it is giving the young players a chance to show the coaching staff what they are made of.
"These young guys are being given a pretty big opportunity now to show what they can do while this ice time is available," assistant coach Jordan Hill said Thursday before the Attack took the ice for their afternoon practice. "There are injuries that happen during the year."
The youth didn't let the coaches down on Wednesday night as the Attack improved to 3-0 in the pre-season with a 4-1 win over the Oshawa Generals in Pickering.
Rookie Mitchell Russell led the Owen Sound offence with a hat trick, while sophomore Aidan Dudas added a single.
In goal for the Attack, overager Zack Bowman stopped 11 of 12 shots, while rookie Mack Guzda stopped all seven shots he faced.
"Russell is a very good player and last night he showed a lot of what he can bring on the ice," said Hill. "That is something we are going to be counting on a lot this year."
What's been impressive for the Attack is that they have put together a strong pre-season showing with many of their veterans away at NHL camps. A total of 10 players have been skating with various NHL teams, including Nick Suzuki, Jonah Gadjovich, Maksim Sushko, Markus Phillips, Trenton Bourque, Jacob Friend, Ethan Szypula, Sean Durzi, Kevin Hancock and Zachary Roberts.
"A lot of the young guys have impressed me, but there are obviously things to work on," said Hill. "It is a big transition for some of these young guys going from minor hockey to here in the OHL, but they have done well."
Hill joined the team this year as an assistant coach after a pro career that saw him spend eight seasons as a defenceman with seven different teams in the ECHL and the American Hockey League.
Hill, 28, said the experience has been really good so far.
"Alan Letang and Todd Gill have both been helping my transition along and I have been contributing any way I can with a lot of video sessions with the players," said Hill. "I am another set of eyes obviously to help things out in practice and in games."
Hill said he has really enjoyed working with the youngsters in the OHL as he can relate to a lot of them as they try to further their hockey careers.
"I have been in a situation where I was never drafted so I learned early on what hard work it takes at the level that you are competing at," said Hill. "I also progressed into a leadership role as a captain in Sarnia and was expected to play big minutes."
On the bench, Hill is working with Gill and the forwards, while Letang is in charge of the defence.
"It is a small change of pace since I am a defenceman by trade," said Hill. "On the flip side of things, you can turn things around and say I have defended and studied forwards my whole career."
Forward Matthew Struthers said the team had a short bench on Wednesday with a lot of young players in the lineup, but everyone did their job so the team could get the win.
Struthers, 17, is entering his third year with the Attack and he is looking forward to being one of the veteran players on the team.
"I have already taken a little bit more responsibility this year and the coaches lean on me a little bit more," said Struthers. "It is going to be an exciting year for everyone."
Owen Sound continues their pre-season with a game on Saturday at 2 p.m. against the North Bay Battalion at the Harry Lumley Bayshore Community Centre.
The game falls in the middle of Rib Fest and those attending Saturday's game will receive free admission and a food voucher for Rib Fest, valid for either Saturday or Sunday. Those who present their ticket at the Rib Fest gate will receive free entry and a voucher for two free sides with the purchase of a rack of ribs.
Owen Sound will travel to North Bay for a 2 p.m. game on Sunday, which concludes their exhibition schedule.
Sruthers said he is looking forward to the regular season to begin.
"It has been a long month here at camp and everything, but it is good to start meshing with a lot of the guys and the new coach," said Struthers. "Obviously we want to get these two games over with, do our jobs and tweak out the little things and we will be good to go for the regular season."
The Attack open the regular season on Sept. 23 when Flint visits Owen Sound for a 7:30 p.m. game at the Lumley-Bayshore.
"I think everyone feels the buzz around the town and around the rink," said Struthers. "We know it isn't going to be easy and we have a job to do, but everyone is extremely excited."
attackisback

Postby stevey on Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:24 am

attackisback you are 100% right lets go next Saturday when it means something. I would assume a number of guy's will be back from camps.My excitement if you will was the fact that pretty shorthanded and with guy's that will be playing small minutes they made a good showing of what they are made of. This bodes well for the organization as the kids are apparently on board with what we need to be to be succesful.
stevey

Next

Return to Electric Ice Forum