Game 1/68 Flint @ Attack (HOME OPENER) SAT SEPT 23, 2017

A forum for all fans of the Owen Sound Attack of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Digger, waudby

Game 1/68 Flint @ Attack (HOME OPENER) SAT SEPT 23, 2017

Postby attackisback on Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:51 am

2017-2018 season gets underway saturday night vs Flint. ost of the veterans should be back.

Thoughts?
attackisback

Re: Game 1/68 Flint @ Attack (HOME OPENER) SAT SEPT 23, 2017

Postby attackisback on Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:42 am

via attackhockey.com

http://attackhockey.com/article/attack- ... r-fan-fest

SEPTEMBER 19, 2017
Attack announce Bruce Telecom Home Opener Fan Fest

The Owen Sound Attack will kick off the 2017-18 season with a bang on Saturday, Sept. 23 against the Flint Firebirds.

Not only is the game – a 7:30pm puck drop – the Attack’s first game of the season, but the Attack will be hosting a fan festival just to the West of the front parking lot at the Harry Lumley Bayshore Community Centre.

Featuring inflatables for kids courtesy of All-In-One Inflatables and the Bowling Alley, a charity barbecue hosted by PepsiCo in support of the CIBC Run For The Cure, the kickoff of the Grey Bruce Animal Shelter’s Animal Needs Donation Drive, and more.

Fans are encouraged to attend the event, which is WEATHER PERMITTING from 4:30pm until 6:30pm, which is when gates open for the Bruce Telecom Home Opener.

Tickets for Saturday night’s game against the Flint Firebirds, and all 2017-18 Attack Home Games, are available at the MacVicar & McComb ReMax Attack Box Office, online at www.attackhockey.com, or by calling 519-371-7452.

This season of Attack Hockey is brought to you by Lerner’s Personal Injury Lawyers and Bertrand & Muzzell Paralegal Services.
attackisback

Postby attackisback on Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:51 pm

http://attackhockey.com/article/attack- ... t-the-year

SEPTEMBER 21, 2017
Attack vs Firebirds to start the year

The Owen Sound Attack will begin their quest for the Memorial Cup at home against the Flint Firebirds on Saturday, Sept. 23.

Set for a 7:30pm puck drop at the Harry Lumley Bayshore Community Centre, the Attack and Firebirds will renew hostilities after meeting four times in the 2016-17 regular season.

Owen Sound won three of those matchups, with Flint claiming one of the meetings.

In more recent play, the Attack went a perfect 5-0 in pre-season action with the Firebirds struggling to a 1-4 record.

Pre-season standings don’t necessarily equate to regular season victories, but the Attack are riding into the regular season with confidence after seeing veteran forwards Ethan Szypula and Alan Lyszczarczyk tie for the league-lead in exhibition point scoring with nine points apiece.

Just behind them with eight points was defenseman Sean Durzi who lead all blueliners across the league with eight points in exhibition action.

Pacing the Firebirds in their tune up games was rookie forward Ethan Keppen, who scored three times and added two assists in five pre-season tilts.

A rested Owen Sound squad, who was recently named the CHL’s pre-season #2 in the year’s first CHL Top 10 Rankings, will look to capitalize on a tired Flint squad who begins their season on Friday night at the Aud in Kitchener.

Fans attending the Bruce Telecom Home Opener are reminded of the Attack’s Home Opener Fan Fest on Saturday, which will begin at 4:30pm, WEATHER PERMITTING.

Featuring inflatables for kids courtesy of All-In-One Inflatables and the Bowling Alley, a charity barbecue hosted by PepsiCo in support of the CIBC Run For The Cure, the kickoff of the Grey Bruce Animal Shelter’s Animal Needs Donation Drive, and more.

Tickets for Saturday night’s game against the Flint Firebirds, and all 2017-18 Attack Home Games, are available at the MacVicar & McComb ReMax Attack Box Office, online at www.attackhockey.com, or by calling 519-371-7452.

This season of Attack Hockey is brought to you by Lerner’s Personal Injury Lawyers and Bertrand & Muzzell Paralegal Services.
attackisback

Postby attackisback on Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:00 am

http://www.bayshorebroadcasting.ca/news ... wsID=96123

Friday, September 22, 2017
Plater-Attack Home Opener History
Owen Sound | by Fred Wallace

Last Regulation Time Home Opener Loss.....2009

Plater-Attack Home Openers

Sept 20, 1989 Owen Sound Platers 5 Kitchener Rangers 4
Sept 22, 1990 Kitchener Rangers 4 Owen Sound Platers 3
Sept 21, 1991 Owen Sound Platers 9 Kitchener Rangers 3
Sept 26, 1992 Owen Sound Platers 7 Windsor Spitfires 1
Sept 25, 1993 Owen Sound Platers 5 Detroit Jr Red Wings 4 (OT)
Sept 24, 1994 Detroit Junior Red Wings 7 Owen Sound Platers 4
Sept 23, 1995 Kitchener Rangers 8 Owen Sound Platers 2
Sept 21, 1996 Owen Sound Platers 6 Detroit Whalers 2
Sept 20, 1997 Owen Sound Platers 9 North Bay Centennials 3
Sept 26, 1998 Owen Sound Platers 1 Ottawa 67's 1
Sept 22, 1999 Owen Sound Platers 6 London Knights 2
Sept 30, 2000 Owen Sound Attack 4 Sault Greyhounds 2
Sept 28, 2001 Owen Sound Attack 4 St Michael's Majors 1
Sept 27, 2002 Erie Otters 4 Owen Sound Attack 2
Sept 17, 2003 Owen Sound Attack 1 Barrie Colts 0
Sept 25, 2004 Owen Sound Attack 5 Windsor Spitfires 2
Sept 24, 2005 Owen Sound Attack 8 London Knights 1
Sept 23, 2006 Owen Sound Attack 4 Sault Ste Marie Greyhounds 3
Sept 22, 2007 Sault Greyhounds 4 Owen Sound Attack 2
Sept 20, 2008 Sault Greyhounds 6 Owen Sound Attack 5 (OT)
Sept 19, 2009 Saginaw Spirit 3 Owen Sound Attack 2
Sept 25, 2010 Owen Sound Attack 8 Guelph Storm 1
Sept 21, 2011 Owen Sound Attack 6 Plymouth Whalers 2
Sept 22, 2012 Owen Sound Attack 5 Saginaw Spirit 2
Sept 21, 2013 Peterborough Petes 4 Owen Sound Attack 3 (SO)
Sept 24, 2014 Owen Sound Attack 6 Kitchener Rangers 1
Sept 26, 2015 Owen Sound Attack 1 Guelph Storm 0 (OT)
Sept 28, 2016 Owen Sound Attack 7 Hamilton Bulldogs 5
Sept 23, 2017 vs Flint

Previous Page | Print This Story
attackisback

Postby attackisback on Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:52 pm

Looks like full team is now back for tomorrow's game sans Mcniven
attackisback

Postby CHL Watcher on Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:42 pm

I imagine the Attack would like to start the season at a better pace than last season. 21 games in they were 10-10-1.

Improving on that (substantially) would be nice and would set them up well down the road. Every game counts...start of season or end. Points are points. The only difference is in the availability of excuses for the various teams....which dwindle as the season goes on.

Hoping for a solid start.

I do not expect Flint to be tired. The Aud isn't far away. I would expect them to be more in game shape as a team....albeit one game more, it will be fresh. They will be tested.
CHL Watcher

Postby hllywd99 on Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:06 am

Bowman looked a little shaky.
........."FRACKEN A BABY! FRACKEN A!".............

......Andrew Shaw @ 11:09 pm 06/24/2013.......

.....TD Gardens in Boston, Mass.....
hllywd99

Postby Digger on Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:54 am

Why did I know that was going to happen?

1st period was tough to watch.

The Hancock, Suzuki and Gadjovich line is going to be great again if there was any doubts.

I know Friend is the captain but it was obvious last year he is not a PP guy and it cost them again last night. Jacob is not a Centormame type player.

Good effort to come back and take the lead after being down 2-0 and they had so many good chances to win but Flint's goalie is pretty darn good.

It's only game one I get that and they will eventually get the line combos that work better than last night.
Digger
Digger

Postby CHL Watcher on Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:16 am

Strange use of the players available.

McGill was so predictable/logical that I had forgotten what it is to be surprised by line-ups or lines. I have to assume there is a good reason.....but...it looked like a scrimmage line-up and it played out as expected.

That game was really hard to watch.

I'm not going to call out any players for their play because they were almost all misplaced in the line-up or not dressed at all.

Such a strange start.

Very disappointed in the preparation and planning for this home opener.
CHL Watcher

Postby cubby01 on Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:44 am

An opening night loss is not the end of the world. Maybe now the boys and coaching staff realize that every team is going to play them hard this year. The top dog is always the target. With a full week of practice ahead and everybody back in town, let's see if they can sort themselves out.
cubby01

Postby hockeyhockeyhockey on Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:00 pm

Change of coaches will take a while to settle in . I'd say till Christmas.

New goalies, lots of guys just back from pro camps etc.

I think there is an OA and now import openings.

I'd like Phillips and Durzi on the top PP unit.
I seem to recall last year's team surrendered the most SH goals in the league.
your Owen Sound Attack...

2011 OHL Champions
2011 Western Conference Champions
2011 Mid-West Division Regular Season Champions
2011 OHL Memorial Cup Participant
hockeyhockeyhockey

Postby CHL Watcher on Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:14 pm

Not the end of the world but...the guys who "just got back" did fine.

The 'grab bag' of lines was interesting.....and easily correctable.

If they start forcing square players into round holes things will go this way....for at least a little while. Maybe they've got a plan.
CHL Watcher

Postby attackisback on Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:03 pm

Chl watcher what would your line combinations be? Put your coach hat on
attackisback

Postby Digger on Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:15 pm

Attack lose 4-3 in shootout to Flint in season opener; Friend reflects on being named new Attack captain

By Denis Langlois, Sun Times, Owen Sound
Sunday, September 24, 2017 12:07:45 EDT PM

Jacob Friend says it's a great honour to wear the big 'C' on his chest for the Owen Sound Attack.

The 20-year-old overage defenceman, who is starting his third full season with the Ontario Hockey League team, was named the 22nd captain in franchise history before the squad's regular season and home opener Saturday night.

“I've been here for two captains now with (Zach) Nastasiuk and (Santino) Centorame. I was lucky to be roommates with Centorame last year and I saw what he went through for the year and the year before that and I think he did a really good job and if I could follow in his footsteps I think I can do just as well,” Friend said in an interview, following the Attack's 4-3 shootout loss to the Flint Firebirds at the Harry Lumley Bayshore Community Centre.

Attack head coach Todd Gill said Friend – who was signed as a free agent by the Attack in 2014 and was drafted 202nd overall in the seventh round by the Los Angeles Kings in the 2016 NHL entry draft –leads by example and is someone the other players want to follow.

“We have so many quality guys to choose from and we, unfortunately, can only have one captain. And I didn't want a rotating captain so we decided to go with Jacob,” he said.

“He's helpful in the room, he plays hard and he's a leader. There's, in my opinion, five or six guys in there that could have the 'C' on their shirt and they're just going to have to lead from the best way they know how to help him along.”

Centre Nick Suzuki and left-winger Jonah Gadjovich have been named as Friend's full-time assistant captains.

Friend joins a list of Owen Sound captains that include such well-known players as Kirk Maltby (1991-92), Dan Snyder (1997-99) and Bobby Ryan (2005-07).

“It's a great honour,” Friend said.

While Saturday's season opener ended in disappointment for the Attack, Friend said it's important for his teammates to shake off the loss and focus on what's next for the season.

“We have to have a clean-slate mindset. I think that some guys might dwell on it being new to the league and I think the leadership group has to help them out to just forget about it. There's 67 more games to go and as nice as it would have been to win the first one, it's not the end of the world,” he said.

The Attack fell behind early in Saturday's game when Flint's Nicolas Mattinen netted a shorthanded goal just one minute and four seconds into the game.

Ethan Keppen scored at the 7:22 mark to put the Firebirds ahead 2-0. The Attack were unable to get the puck past Firebirds' netminder Garrett Forrest in the first frame.

“I think they (Flint) had their legs early, we didn't,” Friend said. “They had a game under their belt and it was our first game and all the jitters came out in the first period, flat-footed, and I think they took advantage of that. Obviously you can't win a game playing just two periods and the first period cost us the game.”

The Attack roared back in the second, scoring a pair of unanswered goals to tie the game at 2-2. Gadjovich scored at the 12:39 mark, while Suzuki scored at 18:50.

The Attack's Kevin Hancock put the Attack up 3-2 early in the first period, but Flint responded with a goal by Hunter Holmes at 4:58.

What followed was 15 minutes of play without any goals, followed by a scoreless overtime period.

In the shootout, Flint’s Nick Caamano and Maurizio Colella both scored, but only Suzuki netted a goal for Owen Sound.

Gill said the Attack was “very lethargic” in the first period, but things improved in the second and that carried into the third.

“Defensively, we have to improve in a lot of areas. We've got lots to work on that's for sure,” he said.

The Attack outshot the Firebirds 46-27.

Goalie Zack Bowman recorded the loss for Owen Sound.

The Attack is next in action Friday when they play the Rangers in Kitchener at 7:30 p.m. Owen Sound's next home game is Saturday against the Mississauga Steelheads at 7:30 p.m.
Digger
Digger

Next

Return to Electric Ice Forum