Game 2,3/68 Sept 29, Sept 30,2017 7:30 pm

A forum for all fans of the Owen Sound Attack of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Digger, waudby

Game 2,3/68 Sept 29, Sept 30,2017 7:30 pm

Postby attackisback on Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:08 am

http://attackhockey.com/article/two-in- ... the-attack

SEPTEMBER 28, 2017
Two in two for the Attack

The Owen Sound Attack will look to bounce back from an opening night loss to the Flint Firebirds when they play a pair of games this weekend.

Heading to the Kitchener Memorial Auditorium for a 7:30pm puck drop on Friday night, Owen Sound will face the Rangers in their first divisional match up of the year.

A rematch of last year’s Western Conference Quarterfinal Playoff Series between the Attack and Rangers, Owen Sound will take on a Kitchener team that has begun the year with one win and one loss in two contests.

Set to visit the Windsor Spitfires on Thursday night, Kitchener is led by sophomore forward Riley Damiani who has two goals and an assist so far on the season, while 12 other members of the Rangers are tied with a single point thus far.

The Attack will head to the Aud led by their big guns; Kevin Hancock, Nick Suzuki,and Jonah Gadjovich. Picking up where they left off last year, the trio combined for seven points in Owen Sound’s season opener, with Hancock scoring once and adding two helpers – complimented by a goal and an assist by both Suzuki and Gadjovich.

Friday night’s game will be available for fans live on Rogers Local 53 as well as on 560 CFOS Kia of Owen Sound/Terry’s Trailer Service Bear Radio.

Following the contest, the Attack will head home to play the Mississauga Steelheads at 7:30pm on Saturday night at the Harry Lumley Bayshore Community Centre.

Taking on the Hamilton Bulldogs at the Hershey Centre on Friday evening, the Steelheads could skate into Owen Sound with an 0-3 record after having dropped their first two contests of the season to the Ottawa 67’s and Kingston Frontenacs.

Projected to be one of the top teams in the OHL’s Eastern Conference this year, Mississauga’s leading scorer at this early juncture of the season is draft eligible forward Ryan McLeod, who has tickled the twine twice and chipped in with a helper in his team’s two tilts this year.

Fans can purchase tickets for Saturday night’s game at the MacVicar & McComb ReMax Attack Box Office, online at www.attackhockey.com, or by calling 519-371-7452.

The Weekend Preview is brought to you by Joe Tomato’s, located next to the Galaxy Cinemas on the Sunset Strip. Following each Attack Home Game, fans are encouraged to bring in their ticket stubs for half priced wings and appetizers.

Attack Hockey is presented by Lerner’s Personal Injury Lawyers and Bertrand & Muzzell Paralegal Services.
attackisback

Re: Game 2,3/68 Sept 29, Sept 30,2017 7:30 pm

Postby stevey on Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:38 pm

Lovely!! I hate the schedule makers. We sit around all week after a loss then head to the Aud,one of the tougher buildings to face an always tough Ranger squad playing I believe there 4th gm. I think our guys need to play in actual game situations to get rolling. Good luck tomorrow boy's play hard and play smart.
stevey

Postby attackisback on Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:48 am

rangers on the schedule 3 times before end of october. 4 times before first of December.
attackisback

Postby Sounder76 on Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:08 pm

One thing I noticed watching this game. The top line took two periods to do anything substantive. If this team is going anywhere this season, the first line will dictate it. This is the best forward line in the O, IMO.

Great win on the road, keep it going against the struggling Steelheads.....
Sounder76

Postby hllywd99 on Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:56 am

Bowman was rock solid in his first win!

Steelheads have to be slightly desperate starting off 0 - 3, many picked them to win the East. :shock:
........."FRACKEN A BABY! FRACKEN A!".............

......Andrew Shaw @ 11:09 pm 06/24/2013.......

.....TD Gardens in Boston, Mass.....
hllywd99

Postby CHL Watcher on Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:41 am

Missy was brutal the first half of last year and then took off. I think they'll be desperate to get going....not wanting to dig a big hole.

I noticed that...
Szypula, Dudas, Sushko, Bourque, and Phillips are each carrying a minus (between -3 and -5).

Odd, that.

Good to see Bowman get the win in OT. The team needed him and he delivered.

I wonder who starts tomorrow?
CHL Watcher

Postby hockeyhockeyhockey on Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:58 am

Bowman played well.
Nice to see the scoring spread around.
your Owen Sound Attack...

2011 OHL Champions
2011 Western Conference Champions
2011 Mid-West Division Regular Season Champions
2011 OHL Memorial Cup Participant
hockeyhockeyhockey

Postby stevey on Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:01 pm

Good win need to tighten up defensivly but rome wasn't built in a day.Matthew Struthers has impressed me with his play so far.
stevey

Postby CHL Watcher on Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:54 am

Struthers will be drafted in the first three rounds. Watch and see. He's a different kind of player than Gadjovich, but is positioned for a similar kind of breakout year.

It all depends on how the coach chooses to use him and with which line and which linemates and also....Struthers' own get up and go. He's got the tools.

Nice to see Laser pot one....and good job Sean Durzi!

Defense is struggling...and that's too bad. I'm talking shots, opportunities and goals....so McNiven hasn't got a whole lot to do with the 30+ shot thing.

It's really good to see them finding ways to get points when you know they've barely got up and running.

The sooner the lines get a bit fixed (that may be a while) and the bugs are out the better, but so far so good.
CHL Watcher

Postby stevey on Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:36 am

I agree on Struthers. He has filled his frame out nicely hasn't lost a step and has great skills.It is all up to him and so far he looks pretty focused out there.I am going throw the forwards in to the struggling D comment IMHO everyone is at times trying to be to individual and it is causing turnovers. Everyone needs to use the pass a little more. Rushing is ok when you have room but they need to recognize quicker when to pass.
stevey

Postby cooter on Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:09 pm

People it is Gill not Mcgill one is a coach the other a strategist.
There is never a right way to do the wrong thing.
cooter

Postby cubby01 on Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:14 pm

The sharp passing that we saw last year is not quite there yet. Lots of passes into the feet last night slowed down the rush. That will come.
Bowman was pretty sharp last night outside of the last 2 goals, both of which went off someone.
Agree on what everyone is saying about Struthers, looking good.
cubby01

Postby Pitou on Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:42 pm

My concern thus far is for the game itself. I get the clampdown on slashing, but even with a significantly reduced physicality to the games, most refs seem Intent on justifying their existence by filling the game with penalties for the most marginal infractions. The Kitchener game had zero flow to it for the first two periods, with cheap calls followed by cheap make up calls on both sides. The third seemed a little better. These are hardly chippy games and they're still filled with penalty calls.
Pitou

Postby Digger on Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:25 pm

Attack go two-for-two
By Rob Gowan, Sun Times, Owen Sound
Sunday, October 1, 2017 11:28:19 EDT AM

While the Owen Sound Attack's two weekend wins were close on the scoresheet, head coach Todd Gill says his squad was clearly the better team on both nights.

“I think personally we have outchanced them in both games,” Gill said Saturday after his team downed the Mississauga Steelheads 6-4 at the Harry Lumley Bayshore Community Centre. “Sooner or later we are going to capitalize on a lot more of these chances and when we do a team all of a sudden falls off and plays more defensive and opens up lanes for us.”

Saturday's win, which as essentially a one-goal game until an empty-netter sealed it for the Attack, came on the heels of a 4-3 overtime win in Kitchener on Friday night.

“I commend the kids for working hard and sticking to it and doing what they did to get those two wins,” said Gill. “It is the early part of the season and we are only going to get better as we move forward.”

The Attack jumped out to an early lead on Saturday night when Matthew Struthers netted his first goal of the season at the 7:28 mark of the first period.

Gill said he was impressed with his team in the first part of the period, but when they were unable to build on their lead, the players turned a bit individual.

“My message between the first and second was they got to stick together and play as a unit of five and the goal will come and it finally did,” he said.

It was actually Mississauga who scored to tie the game up in the second, despite long stretches where the Attack had the Steelheads hemmed in their own end, when Keean Washkurak scored at the 13:53 mark of the second frame.

But the Attack kept the pressure on and roared back to take a two-goal lead after two periods when Maksim Sushko scored his first of the year at 13:53 of the second and less than two-and-a-half minutes later Alan Lyszczarczyk netted his first of the season.

The Steelheads made it a one-goal game early in the third when Shaw Boomhower scored at the 4:11 mark.

The Attack seemed to take command of the game at the midway point of the frame when Markus Phillips blasted one home at 9:57, followed by Struthers' second of the game at 10:24.

But Mississauga would come right back, with Cole Schwindt scoring at the 16:50 mark and then Boomhower netting his second of the game on a powerplay at 17:57.

“That is the only thing that kind of concerns me is we are getting these leads, but allowing teams to get a goal or two to make it interesting,” said Gill. “We have got to learn to shut it out.”

Gill said his team has to be more disciplined, pointing to the penalty late in the game that allowed the Steelheads to pull within one.

“We can't take that penalty to give them some life and hope,” said Gill. “The last goal was off a foot in front and those goals will happen, but it is how you close it out and we have got to learn how to close teams out.”

Jonah Gadjovich sealed it for the Attack when he spun and fired a puck the length of the ice into the middle of the open net with exactly a minute left.

The Attack outshot the Steelheads 34-31, with Zack Bowman earning the win for the Attack and Jacob Ingham taking the loss in the Steelheads goal.

Owen Sound was 0-for-5 on the powerplay, while Mississauga was 1-for-5.

Gill said Struthers is Owen Sound's third-line centre, but has the potential to be the second-line centre with his ability offensively to make plays and score goals and yet shut teams down.

“I have told him he has to use his size and be a hard guy to play against,” said Gill. “Tonight he got rewarded for going to the net and doing the right things at the right time.”

Another Attack player who had a big night was Sean Durzi, who picked up four assists. His five points makes him the early leader in points on the Attack blueline.

“Durzi has been good for us right from training camp since he got back and he has to keep doing what he does,” said Gill. “If he keeps his game simple and jumps at the right time he is so offensively gifted that he is able to make those plays.”

Durzi said after the game Saturday that it was good to go two-for-two and he thought the Attack played well as a team.

“This is a really good team and that is my first worry out there,” said Durzi. “You have your personal goals that come along the way and that is always nice, but you worry about winning hockey games and they are going to come.”

The 18-year-old Mississauga native is now in his third season with the Attack. He has improved his point totals each year with the team, scoring two goals and adding 36 assists in 60 games last season.

Durzi said now that he is another year older he hopes to take on more of a leadership role with the team.

“You try to be a leader in the room and I had a lot of great guys helping me along the way when I was younger,” said Durzi. “I will do as much as I can do to help those guys in the dressing room and on the ice.”

On Friday night in Kitchener, Ethan Szypula scored at 1:26 of overtime to give the Attack the 4-3 win over the Rangers. Zachary Roberts, Durzi and Gadjovich scored in regulation for Owen Sound.

Adam Mascherin, Logan Stanley and Joseph Garreffa replied for the Rangers, who went 0-for-8 on the power play. Owen Sound was 1-for-5 with the man advantage.

Zack Bowman stopped 33 of 35 shots to earn the win between the pipes, while Luke Richardson took the loss, stopping 36 of 40 shots.

With the two wins on the weekend, the Attack moved into second spot in the Midwest division with a record of 2-0-0-1 (W-L-OTL-SOL), two points behind Kitchener, which has two games in hand.

Owen Sound is back in action on Wednesday night when the Sarnia Sting visit the Lumley-Bayshore for a 7 p.m. game.
Digger
Digger

Postby CHL Watcher on Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:08 am

Okay, I'm really impressed with what coach Gill had to say and the way he said it. Pretty positive stuff and right on the money. I also like the way these guys seem to play for each other. Sean Durzi stated his feelings flat out. Good stuff. That kind of thing goes a long way.
CHL Watcher

Next

Return to Electric Ice Forum