Game 5/68 Windsor @ Attack Oct 7,2017 730 pm

A forum for all fans of the Owen Sound Attack of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Digger, waudby

Game 5/68 Windsor @ Attack Oct 7,2017 730 pm

Postby attackisback on Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:04 pm

Defending memorial cup champions in town.

Attack go for another 2 or one point
attackisback

Re: Game 5/68 Windsor @ Attack Oct 7,2017 730 pm

Postby stevey on Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:33 am

There are no easy games. I assume we see DiPietro in net. I know Coach said they were going to work hard on Defense I drove by the rink yesterday at 430 Players cars were there not normal to practice on Fridays. Hopefully they can cut the GAA down. On a positive we are the only team without a regulation loss.
stevey

Postby Digger on Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:48 pm

stevey wrote:There are no easy games. I assume we see DiPietro in net. I know Coach said they were going to work hard on Defense I drove by the rink yesterday at 430 Players cars were there not normal to practice on Fridays. Hopefully they can cut the GAA down. On a positive we are the only team without a regulation loss.

DiPietro played last night in Guelph and Thursday at home apparently he is not starting tonight.
Digger
Digger

Postby stevey on Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:19 pm

I knew he played last night I didn't check Thursday. It should be a good game hope the result is favourable.
stevey

Postby CHL Watcher on Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:12 am

If Windsor trades Dipietro they will need a goaltender coming their way in the deal.

Dipietro could have made this game interesting....but that's about it. Without him....they're really sunk.

As for the Attack......a better defensive effort with just a little lapse after the big lead.

The offense and defense are very inter-connected with these guys. One good thing leads to another.

The better teams in the league are beginning to show themselves (not talking about the Attack). This could be an odd year, where the "big dogs" aren't really all that involved in the outcome. Even the midwest looks a bit abnormal.

I suppose time will tell the tale, but the up and coming teams are coming up faster than I expected.

What would it take to get Dipietro? Too much, I suppose.

Quick facts: Keeping in mind that there are 20 teams in the OHL...The Attack should have 4.6 players in the top 92 guys listed when considered on a points per game basis (the Attack have played between 1 and 3 fewer games than the rest).

5 players in the league have 2.0 points per game....2 Attackers.
10 players have at least 1.6 points per game.........4 Attackers.
23 players have at least 1.4 points per game.........5 Attackers.
59 players have at least 1.0 points per game.........7 Attackers.
92 players have at least 0.8 points per game........10 Attackers.

You get the idea...
Offense is unlikely to be an issue this season....
..but this latest game is not a good indicator of what normal will look like. They won't always go in so easily.

Still undefeated in regulation time. That's something, all things considered.

Take 'em when you can.
CHL Watcher

Postby hockeyhockeyhockey on Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:23 am

The Attack used the situation presented.

Nice to see scoring spread around.

Anyone know what happened to Gadjo?
your Owen Sound Attack...

2011 OHL Champions
2011 Western Conference Champions
2011 Mid-West Division Regular Season Champions
2011 OHL Memorial Cup Participant
hockeyhockeyhockey

Postby Digger on Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:54 am

Attack dominate Spitfires in 9-2 tilt

By Scott Dunn, Sun Times, Owen Sound
Saturday, October 7, 2017 11:07:25 EDT PM

OWEN SOUND - Owen Sound Attack forwards Aidan Dudas and Kevin Hancock are taking in stride their inclusion in the NHL Central Scouting initial watch list.

Both players were granted a “C” in initial rankings for the upcoming draft, meaning they’d potentially be selected in the 4th, 5th or 6th rounds. Those with “A” and “B” rankings would potentially be picked in earlier rounds.

The lists are updated midway through the season and at the end, by which time each player will be given a numerical ranking.

Both players spoke in interviews before Saturday night’s game, which would see Owen Sound dominate the reigning Memorial Cup champion Windsor Spitfires 9-2, helped by Dudas’s two goals, and Hancock’s two assists.

Attack coach Todd Gill was effusive in his praise for both players when asked after the game.

“That was by far Aidan’s best game,” he said. “I have been on Aidan a little bit. He’s worried about not getting points and I told him that you’re getting your opportunities and the points will come.”

Dudas, whose defensive game was also top notch tonight, Gill said, was named the Hatten Home Building Centre Hardest Working Player of the Game.

Gill said of Hancock “Kevin’s hockey IQ is above the charts. You can use him in any situation, offensively, defensively. Playing against the top line and yet playing on our top line.”

Gill said it’s nice to win games like this, when offence and defence both show up.

“Our MO is we’re a very offensive team. And I want to be known as the best defensive team as well.”

Dudas, 17, of Parry Sound, shrugged when asked before the game what making the list means.

“I was obviously excited but you don’t try and think about it too much. There’s guys that should have been on there as well,” he said, suggesting one would be Attack centreman Matthew Struthers.

“It doesn’t really mean much, especially at the start of the season. So (you) just want to go out there and play your game, every game.”

Dudas, who was too young to be considered for the draft list last season, said it’s how you play over the whole season that gets you drafted.

Said Hancock: “Obviously it’s great to see that recognition” on the scout’s list. The 19-year-old from Mississauga is entering his third full year with the club. Last season he also received a “C” ranking and ended up listed 91st overall in the final rankings.

“I always want to improve so hopefully as the season goes on you get a higher ranking.” He has no ranking target in mind, he said. “I’m just going to go out and play my game,” he said, in hopes that will show he’s one of the “elite players in the game.”

He’s been improving since arriving in Owen Sound for the 2014-15 season.

Last year he played 68 regular season games, scored 30 goals and 55 assists. The year before he played 66 games, scored 13 goals, and 15 assists, and his first season he played nine games, scored once and assisted once.

This week’s honour won’t change much for him, he said. “What I was doing before got me on the list,” he said.

Attack prospect Ben Schultheis, who plays for the Minnesota Magicians of the North American Hockey League, also received a “C” ranking. Owen Sound native Connor Roberts, of the Hamilton Bulldogs, also received a “C” ranking.

The game Saturday night at the Harry Lumley-Bayshore Community Centre saw the Attack strike fast, netting four unanswered goals in the first period.

Jonah Gadjovich scored the first goal of the period (Nick Suzuki and Kevin Hancock assisted) on a power play and the fourth goal (Hancock and Trenton Bourque assisted).

Nick Suzuki scored the second (Gadjovich assisted) and Dudas (Chase Campbell and Zachary Roberts assisted) scored the third goal, in a period which Owen Sound clearly dominated.

In the second period, the Attack quickly scored two more, both by Alan Lyszczarczykj , with Sean Durzi and Nick Suzuki assisting on both goals, the first of them on a power play.

Windsor got its first goal by Cole Purbooa, assisted by Thomas Stevenson. Then Owen Sound’s Markus Phillips scored, assisted by Jacob Friend and Ethan Szypula on the power play.

Dudas scored his second of the game for Owen Sound, assisted by Campbell and Durzi, bringing Owen Sound’s count to 8. Then it was Matthew Struthers to add the 9th, assisted by Szypula and Friend.

Windsor pulled goalie Brock Baier in his first game of the regular season in favour of Michael DiPietro at 17:35 of the second period.

The third period opened with Windsor on a power play, then at 13:30 the Spitfires got the team’s second goal of the game, by William Sirman, assisted by Kirill Kozhovnikov.
Digger
Digger

Postby flashjr01 on Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:21 am

So does anyone know what happened to Gadjovich? He didnt play the third and I don't recall seeing him get injured. Sure can't afford to have him injured !
flashjr01

Postby stevey on Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:52 am

I wondered the same about Gadjo hope Coach just gave him a rest he does take a beating in the blue paint. I also noticed Coach getting the 3-4 liners out there all 3rd period mixed in with some top guys good job on that. I know the Spits are not the same team as last year but I thought we played our best game yet. Everything looked much more controled and keeping the shots down to an amazing level showed the guy's that translates into chances in the offensive zone. I know the result won't always be the same but if they play that game all the time good things will happen. I also really liked the line combo's.
stevey

Postby Sounder76 on Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:15 pm

I don't remember seeing him for the three stars either. Gaddy might be the most important cog in this engine, we cannot afford to have him gone for long. Really hope Jonah is okay.
Great game last night. Just what this team needed I feel. Top line looked like the dominant one that is surely is, likely best in league when they're gelling.
Keep it up tomorrow at the Aud please.
Sounder76

Postby cubby01 on Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:48 pm

Shusko was out as well, is he hurt? Line combos were great last night. #8 needs to be on a top line, he was buzzing out there. Felt bad for the Spits young goalie, he did not get a lot of support. Hopefully we see the same effort and result against the Rangers.
cubby01

Postby attackisback on Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:15 pm

Itbwas 9-2 probably rest busy week coming up with games Monday wed Saturday Sunday
attackisback

Return to Electric Ice Forum