Game 7/68 Erie @ Owen Sound Oct 11,2017 7:00 pm

A forum for all fans of the Owen Sound Attack of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Digger, waudby

Game 7/68 Erie @ Owen Sound Oct 11,2017 7:00 pm

Postby attackisback on Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:45 am

defending champions come to bayshore wednesday, different team from last spring. Attack had a tough loss monday. Struthers left with an injury. Penalties still an issue for team.
attackisback

Re: Game 7/68 Erie @ Owen Sound Oct 11,2017 7:00 pm

Postby stevey on Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:14 am

Hope it's not to serious. Yes they need to cut down on the penalties.the PK is good but it takes away most of the offensive flow. Oh well a quick day of practice and right back at it I like that get right back into game action and hopefully get that loss out of the system.
stevey

Postby attackisback on Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:49 pm

http://attackhockey.com/article/otters- ... for-attack

Rookie goaltender Mack Guzda stood on his head on Wednesday, Oct. 11 and turned in a 22 save performance for his 1st career Ontario Hockey League victory in a 5-2 win over the Erie Otters.

Aidan Dudas found the back of the net twice on the evening, while singles came from Jacob Friend, Kevin Hancock and Alan Lyszczarczyk.

Erie got on the board first when a soft lob towards the net by Ivan Lodnia caromed off of a few bodies before trickling across the goal line to give the Otters the 1-0 edge at the 3:41 mark of the frame.

Owen Sound was quick to re-inject some life into their home crowd though when Alan Lyszczarczyk tickled the twine for his 4th of the season just 1:38 later.

The Polish national was fed the puck in the high slot by Ethan Szypula and beat a down and out Troy Timpano up high to even things at one. Markus Phillips also assisted on the play.

Then, the Attack were able to grab their first lead of the game when an aggressive forecheck by the trio of Jonah Gadjovich, Nick Suzuki, and Kevin Hancock stifled the Otters deep in their own zone.

That pressure eventually saw Suzuki feed a cross crease pass to Hancock who buried his 2nd of the year for a 2-1 Attack lead at 10:13 of the opening period.

Hancock’s goal firmly tilted the ice in Owen Sound’s favour with the remainder of the period playing out in the Otters’ zone before the home side comfortably skated to the intermission with the 2-1 lead and a 16-6 advantage on the Mark McDade Chestnut Park Real Estate Shot Clock.

The scoring took a bit longer to get started in the 2nd period, but the Attack’s possession dominance that was on full display in the opening frame also carried over into the middle stanza.

As a result, it was Aidan Dudas ripping his 3rd of the season past a screened Troy Timpano at the 8:46 mark of the frame to put the Attack up 3-1. Assists on the play were Sean Durzi and Zachary Roberts, while Ethan Szypula plopped his body perfectly in front of the Erie goalkeeper, preventing him from seeing Dudas’ release.

Erie got one back though, thanks to Kyle Maksimovich capitalizing on the game’s first special teams opportunity at 14:09 of the 2nd.

The Attack’s dogged saw them restore their two goal lead with a fair amount of ease however, and picking up his 2nd goal of the game was Aidan Dudas who grabbed a neutral zone pass from Jacob Friend before putting on a quick toe-drag and ripping the biscuit past Timpano for the 4-2 lead.

Friend was the lone player to garner an assist on the goal, which wound up as the final marker of the frame.

Looking to put another tick in the points column, Friend would do one better than an assist in the 3rd period, making good on a hooking penalty to Erie’s Owen Headrick by blasting a slapshot into the back of the cage at the 4:49 mark of the period.

Markus Phillips and Ethan Szypula drew the assists on the play, which wound up as the game’s final goal as the Attack’s captain was able to cement a 5-2 victory for the home team.

Erie’s Owen Headrick was named the Mac Taylor Corporation 3rd Star of the Game, while Friend picked up 2nd star honours thanks to a one goal, one assist performance. Earning the prestigious 1st star honours was Aidan Dudas who scored twice in the win.

Mack Guzda was named the Hatten Home Building Centre Hardest Working Player of the Game on Wednesday night, turning aside 22 shots in the victory as the Mark McDade Chestnut Park Shots on Goal finished at 39-24 for the Attack on the evening.

Following Wednesday night’s game the Attack released forward Nick Pryce. The organization would like to thank Nick for his contributions to the team and wish him nothing but the best in the future.

Owen Sound is back in action on Saturday, Oct. 14 when they play host to the Oshawa Generals in a 7:30pm puck drop.

Tickets for that game, and all remaining Attack Home Games, are available at the MacVicar & McComb ReMax Attack Box Office, online at www.attackhockey.com, or by calling 519-371-7452.

This season of Attack Hockey is brought to you by Lerner’s Personal Injury Lawyers and Bertrand & Muzzell Paralegal Services.
attackisback

Postby attackisback on Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:25 am

http://www.owensoundsuntimes.com/2017/1 ... own-otters

Attack down Otters
By Rob Gowan, Sun Times, Owen Sound
Wednesday, October 11, 2017 9:24:21 EDT PM

Jonah Gadjovich is hoping the lessons he learned at camp with the NHL's Vancouver Canucks will not only help him improve this season, but also help his Owen Sound Attack teammates take their games to the next level.

“It was amazing just being able to learn from the professionals there and everything about that organization is just top notch,” Gadjovich said Wednesday prior to Owen Sound's 5-2 win over the Erie Otters at the Harry Lumley Bayshore Community Centre. “Getting that experience and then being able to come back here and showing the younger guys what it was like is a special opportunity.”

Gadjovich, who turned 19 on Thursday, is looking to build on what was a very successful 2016-17 season for the Whitby native. Last season he notched 46 goals and added 28 assists for 74 points in 60 regular season games. He added four goals and three assists in 17 playoff games.

So far this season, the 6-foot, 2-inch, 200-pound left-winger has notched five goals and four assists in seven games, including an assist on Wednesday night.

“Last year was definitely a step in the right direction because something I wanted to do was contribute more offensively,” said Gadjovich. “Heading into this year it is another goal of mine to contribute more offensively again.

“But we have to work from our D-zone out, so if I can be better in that area, our ultimate goal is to win the Memorial Cup, so whatever I can do to help this team achieve that goal, then that is what I want to do.”

Gadjovich said an NHL camp is different than an OHL camp in that you see the players who have children and wives and it is treated like a business.

“That is their job and they are fighting for their families,” said Gadjovich. “Here we are kind of having fun. It is a group of teenagers that enjoy playing hockey.”

Gadjovich appeared in one exhibition game with the Canucks before he was sent back to junior, a 9-4 loss to the Las Vegas Golden Knights. He said that game was fast.

“The guys are a lot bigger, they are a lot stronger, they are faster, they are more skilled, just everything about their game is the next level,” said Gadjovich. “If I can take this year to just have that intensity and work on my game, then hopefully I can get to that next level as well.”

Gadjovich said playing against teammate and linemate Nick Suzuki in the game was a fun experience.

“I think we ended up taking a draw against each other,” said Gadjovich. “It is funny lining up against him, but on the ice it is business and I focus on my game and he focuses on his.”

There has been some talk that Gadjovich could also get some consideration for Team Canada at this year's World Junior Championships after he competed in the World Junior Summer Showcase.

“In the back of my mind, that is definitely a goal of mine,” said Gadjovich. “I have to focus on my play here and everything will take care of itself.”

Attack assistant coach Jordan Hill said Gadjovich, who is wearing an assistant's A this season, is an important leader on the team who is well-liked in the dressing room and leads by example.

“He is a guy we expect a lot from and he gives it to us every single day,” said Hill. “He uses his size well and is one of those players who takes a lot on his shoulders.”

Hill used the example of Monday's 4-1 loss in Kitchener against the Rangers of where Gadjovich steps up when needed. Owen Sound was down 1-0 late in the first period when Gadjovich dropped the gloves and fought Kitchener's Connor Hall.

“He probably isn't the guy we would like to see fighting, but he recognized in that situation that we needed something to turn the tide,” said Hill. “He went out and does a hell of a job sparking the team.

“He is one of those guys who will do everything for you and we expect a lot from him and he expects a lot from himself.”

Owen Sound shut down the Otters in the third period to come away with the win on Wednesday night.

Captain Jacob Friend's first goal of the year at the 4:49 mark of the period was the only goal of the frame, coming on a blast from the point on a power play. Markus Phillips and Ethan Szypula assisted on the goal.

It was the Aidan Dudas show in the second as the shifty Attack centre scored two goals to put Owen Sound up 4-2 going into the third.

Dudas's first came at 8:46 of the second when he netted one from the face-off dot that beat Erie's Troy Timpano. Sean Durzi and Zach Roberts had assists on the play.

Erie pulled back to within one goal when Kyle Maksimovich jumped on a rebound and buried it behind Attack goalie Mack Guzda on a powerplay at 14:09. Assists went to Owen Headrick and Taylor Raddysh.

But Dudas restored Owen Sound's two-goal lead at the 17:37 mark when he received a pass up the middle from captain Friend, toe-dragged an Erie defenceman and beat Timpano high stick side.

Owen Sound dominated much of the first period, outshooting the Otters 16-6, and coming out of the frame up 2-1.

Erie actually got on the board first when Ivan Lodnia banked a shot in off Owen Sound.s Kevin Hancock 3:41 into the game.

But Owen Sound answered right back at 5:19 when Alan Lyszczarczyk buried one over a sprawled out Timpano after taking a pass from Szypula from behind the Erie goal. Phillips also had an assist on the play.

Hancock gave Owen Sound their first lead of the game at the 10:13 mark when he fired into an open net. Suzuki and Gadjovich assisted on the play.

Owen Sound looked to go up 3-1 when Gadjovich batted one in after it bounced off the end boards, but it was called off on a high stick, a call that stood after video review.

Owen Sound outshot Erie 39-24, while the Otters were 1 for 2 on the power play. Owen Sound was 1 for 3 with the man advantage.

Hill said going into Wednesday's game, Owen Sound really focused on tightening up in the defensive end.

“We know we have an octane offence, so if we take care of our own zone we have guys in the dressing room who we think can create offence from there,” said Hill. “We are just trying to lock things up so guys aren't cheating offensively that might cost us a goal defensively.”

With the win on Wednesday the Attack improved to 4-1-0-2 (W-L-OTL-SOL) and remained second in the Midwest division, while Erie fell to 2-5-1-0 and sits fourth in the division.

Owen Sound is back in action on Saturday when they play host to the Oshawa Generals at 7:30 at the Lumley-Bayshore. The Attack travel to London on Sunday for a 2 p.m. game against the Knights.

NOTES: The Attack fell out of the Canadian Hockey League top-10 rankings this week after holding down a spot in the ranking's first three weeks. The Attack were sitting second in the rankings last week. The WHL's Victoria Royals were ranked No. 1 this week. The OHL teams on the rankings include the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds at No. 6 and the Sarnia Sting at No. 8. The Kingston Frontenacs received honourable mention.
attackisback

Postby stevey on Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:58 am

Great game glad to see Guzda get his first win.
stevey

Return to Electric Ice Forum