Wish list

A forum for all fans of the Owen Sound Attack of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Digger, waudby

Wish list

Postby CHL Watcher on Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:40 pm

So I was over at the HFBoards again....

and I see that there's a lot of talk about trades and such......what the team needs.....so I got to thinking.

If you have the OHL Action Pack you may agree.......you never know.

Okay...so let's say the Attack have a goal and that goal is to get to the Memorial Cup and win it. I think that's a realistic goal. It isn't even close to a guaranteed outcome, but there is no sense in in waiting for unicorns to appear. This is as good as it gets.

In that case...I would be pretty pleased if any of these guys were to join the cause.

Michael DiPietro – say no more
Dylan Wells – steady, proven
Aaron Luchuk - wicked sparkplug, can take a face-off
Cam Dineen – huge talent (high speed Durziesque)
Cliff Pu – Best all-purpose face-off guy, tireless, plays entire penalty kills and power plays
Gera Pudubnyi – makes things happen
CHL Watcher

Re: Wish list

Postby Noofgoof on Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:33 am

Ill bite lol I was one of the ones on halfboards talking about a few options 1 was a guy outa sudbury named Pazzetta that maybe would come cheaper but im not totally sold on him other then he has taking a number of draws in his carreer a little over 2000 to be exact and won over 1000 of them but other posters mentioned that back in his draft year Degray disnt want to risk going for him due to the way OS and his brother ended up. I still stand by Depietro as the top priority and in my opinion the sooner you get him the better the price.. if you wait til the deadline and he comes back from Buffalo with a gold medal your lookin pretty steep and im aware it already is likely steep but likely tenfold as we wait. I like most of your list but i wouldnt mind throwing Zach Gallant on there from Peterborough. Another good centerman takes and wins lots of draws and puts up points. Although im not sure offense is the biggest issue. I think other then our goaltending we need to find a pp specializt of the back end..Dineen would be a good fit I think . Im not totally sure what else is out there just yet but maybe a Shawn Day from windsor.. Cliff Pu or Luchuk would be awesome but what are the odds London would give us Pu and Im not sure Windsor would want to send all there guys to one spot..theyd likely fetch more split up. Im sure this as the season wears on the wish list will grow but we will have to wait and see what happens.
Noofgoof

Postby hockeyhockeyhockey on Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:17 am

here's a breakdown of some other clubs faceoff winning % by their top four or five centres:

Petes- Gallant- 62%
others 42%
42%
53%
49%

Sudbury Pezzetta- 61%

Barrie

37%
51%
42%
42%

Kitch

43%
47%
44%
58%

SSM

43%
46%
53%

Owen Sound

Hancock 68%
Dudas- 63%
Struthers 55%
Suzuki 54%
Russell 43 %

While it is always nice to have more top centres, I think the Attack rate as well, or better than most collectively. Four of five regular centres have winning percentages. Only the Petes have two with winning %, all the others have only one regular centre with a winning %.

Dudas is as good as the two you mentioned. Hancock better. Struthers and Suzuki are better than 14 of the 16 listed here, , and Russell coming along. I think we will be fine in this department, and these players all bring other aspects of the game we can use.
your Owen Sound Attack...

2011 OHL Champions
2011 Western Conference Champions
2011 Mid-West Division Regular Season Champions
2011 OHL Memorial Cup Participant
hockeyhockeyhockey

Postby stevey on Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:31 am

If our goal is to win the Memorial Cup my #1 focus is Di Pietro hands down. Any other moves depend on whats left in the bank. Sean Day would be a great addition.Actually any of the guy's listed above but DON'T want to upset chemistry with to many moves. I often wonder if the DiPietro trade would have been shrewd last year. Durzi would be easier to replace than McNiven just sayin. Can you imagine Guzda hanging out with DiPietro for the year WOW.
stevey

Postby CHL Watcher on Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:37 pm

Pu seems to be in the dog house with some of the London faithful. If they go full rebuild he's expendable.

I brought him into the list because he is batting about 62% on face-offs (this season), has a 57+% for a career (and that's a lot of face-offs) and plays double shift duties on special teams. I think his defensive game is stellar, really. He hasn't been the scoring machine London was hoping for, but he hasn't been bad. He won't hurt the skill level on any line you put him on and he doesn't tire (tireless). He takes as many of London's key face-offs as possible...almost always against the opposition's top face-off guy. He has tons of experience.

I agree....they need some confidence inspiring goaltending.....and maybe one more puck moving dman. DiPietro and Dineen would be my first picks....Day is a good solid option....but he doesn't dance around the way Cam Dineen does.

Podubnyi (sp) has a decent game, good size, and is Russian....and the Attack are short an import...but that's another issue.

I'm all for stacking the team in whatever way they can...because I do believe they have to take a run with what they have now....or never. I agree with DD's usual position on internal development and drafting being the main goal....but we all know that virtually every team that goes to the Memorial Cup adds 2-5 ringers in the process. It's almost expected....and probably required, if you want to give yourself a good chance. Think of the guys Erie and London and Windsor went after and got. Those were some BIG names. The Attack can't be too timid or conservative on this one. Remember the 2010/2011 team? Think about the guys that were brought here. Remember that guy who surprised everyone at the tourney? Chicago noticed....no doubt. It doesn't always work, but that was a blockbuster multi-player trade in my books....and it definitely helped.

Think of it this way...
it is your good drafting and good development that puts you into this situation and allows you to make the deal that puts you over the top. It still amounts to and comes down to internal development.

Without giving away the kitchen sink...I say, go for it.

With any luck you'll still have a decent or good team again next year and you will be able to eventually recoup some of your picks. If done right, a rebuild is more like a reload....but obviously it's not easy to do.
CHL Watcher

Postby cubby01 on Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:09 pm

In 2011 DD did most of his work before the season started, bringing Shaw and Petgrave for spare parts and signing OAs Liam Heelis and Matt Stanisz. The trade deadline was very quiet, adding Jay Gilbert. I agree that the team needs some more high end players but hope that it can be done by not dealing away young talent (I almost mentioned the Ceci trade there!) I see goaltending, another stud d man and another strong vet forward (Pu would do fine) as the priorities. The OA position is interesting, Friend is ok, Zippy is trying hard but not really producing and the OA goalie thing is what it is. In 2011 the OAs were awesome.
cubby01

Postby Digger on Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:42 pm

The Attack definately need an upgrade in goal from what I have seen to date.

It's still early but if you look at the standings to date Mississauaga, Sudbury in the east and Saginaw and London and Erie in the west could be sellers so that would be a good place to look for 1998 and 1997 age players. Most teams when they go for it stock up on 19 yr olds and give up draft picks 0r younger players.

The Attack have an import spot open and Albert Michnac is a 1998 that could become available and they have Nicolas Hague a 1998 d-nan that would be a huge addition on defence and PP from the Steelheads.

Saginaw has Keaton Middleton a 1998 d-man that would be a good shutdown defenceman and an OA goalie Evan Cormier who I think is an upgrade in goal. They have a young team so pickings are slim there.

Erie has quite a few older players with Taylor Raddysh being the best of the bunch, I'n not a big fan of Troy Timpano another OA goalie. Jordan Sambrook is a 1998 defenseman that could draw some interest and Kyle Maksimovich another 1998 forward.

Somebody already mentioned Michael Pezzetta in Sudbury but his brother was released here and I'm not sure the family would be okay with that deal. Dmitry Sokolov an import could be someone that the Attack would be interested in to fill the import spot. Cole Candella another 1998 defencemen would be an upgrade as well.

I know Dale has done some deals with London and it makes me nervous what they would give up to make some improvements. If Jesper Bratt was returned to the OHL he would fill the import spot as well. That would be ironic consering he was a target at the import draft but was taken by London. Victor Mete if he is returned would be a great pickup on defence but we have already been there once before. You never know now that he has been drafted Montreal may want him on a winning team that has the chance to go deep in the playoffs.

Anyways that is just some possibilities that could be available but there are some older players on the Attack that need to produce more or play better before they get to that point.
Digger
Digger

Postby CHL Watcher on Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:18 am

I've sifted through a lot of those names you mentioned, Digger...and I agree with the lot of them. North Bay looks like things are starting to go sideways for them as well.

..and there are others who will take a strategic hiccup for a big move next year. There are really too many possibilities to name them all.

I think that does a couple of things. It makes GMs reluctant to over pay and it makes the other GMs reluctant to let someone go. It is a buyer's market at the moment....with all of the attention on a few key players...#1 being DiPietro. The team that gets him will win the trade deadline...hands down. His worth is what it is.

How many teams do you think could beat the Attack with him between the pipes?
If the Attack reached the finals or the Memorial Cup would you be even slightly worried about your goaltending?

What's that worth?

While it could be argued that there will be plenty of help available cheap once the DiPietro question is answered and the big money has been spent for Raddysh/Maksimovich etc ....it really won't matter at all if a high end team lands DiPietro. They win. Good luck to the others.

I really only bother to talk about the other players because they will all go cheap as time goes by. The big trade deal has to be DiPietro or none. The Attack can pick any number of guys off the trade block after that and for far less. The teams that don't spend on DiPietro will spend trying to counteract the new imbalance. I don't think it would be cheaper, smarter, or more successful. Get DiPietro or spend a fortune in assets trying to get the huge team advantage needed to win against him.

...or wait for another year.

It should worry fans that a goalie of that ability will land with a serious contender who may not be the Attack. If he lands here the team is good enough to take on any other just the way it is. If he goes to a rival contender the Attack need to add some firepower, defense, and better goaltending to keep up. Not cheaper. Probably requires moving more players and may require even more picks. Not better for development.

DiPietro in front of Guzda sounds like a plan to me. 8)
CHL Watcher

Postby Digger on Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:06 am

I'm not sure Windsor is going to be a seller and I don't think they are yet either. They have a lot pf 1999 births including DiPietro meaning they may be thinking about doing another run nezt year with him in net. That has to be decided before DiPietro is traded.

The price for an 18 yr old DiPietro would be enormous for sure.
Digger
Digger

Postby cubby01 on Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:14 am

Good point Digger. Also, who else would be bidding for him? And, who would he accept a trade to?
Many questions, it will be interesting to see how it shakes out. Hopefully, London continues to be bad and stays out of this scenario.
The cost will be huge, but as Watcher said, this might be the year to go all in.
cubby01

Postby Annan_Man on Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:30 am

Hx3 - You can't evaluate faceoff performance purely on %. I could take 4 faceoffs and win 3 and be at 75% which looks good. You need to consider the quantity of faceoffs and the quality of faceoffs. Our top line definitely is good at faceoffs but after that I feel we drop off. Struthers / Dudas draws are primarily against 3rd/4th lines last 2 years, only this year are they taking more important draws, but that is too small a sample size. Russell should not even be considered in an analysis due to the small sample size.

I still believe a solid vet faceoff man is needed. I got between Goalie, D man and solid vet faceoff man as top priorities each game so far. It's early but all are possible areas of concerns, at this point goalie/defense is bubbling to the top of list. I think the 10 game mark is the time to really set priorities for upgrades, but upgrades are needed if we are going to go for it.
Annan_Man

Postby Digger on Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:07 am

cubby01 wrote:Good point Digger. Also, who else would be bidding for him? And, who would he accept a trade to?
Many questions, it will be interesting to see how it shakes out. Hopefully, London continues to be bad and stays out of this scenario.
The cost will be huge, but as Watcher said, this might be the year to go all in.

Yes I agree this is the year to go all in, no doubt. The year they aquired Ceci they did not go all in that year. They needed Vince Trocheck to help the offence that year. They were good defensiveley and Codi helped the PP but by not by not aquiring Trocheck they did not go all in that year. If I remember Trocheck scored a lot of goals against them in the playoffs when they were eliminated.
Digger
Digger

Postby Annan_Man on Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:10 pm

Funny all we really need it James, Palmu, Centorame and McNiven. Then we'd be all in this year. Isn't Junior cruel. :-)
Annan_Man

Postby CHL Watcher on Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:03 am

Bowman made his two best saves last night and was actually headed for north of .900.

But the Attack got so far in front it was embarrassing....

Here's what bugs me about that game. Numbers. The Attack have too many bodies. Instead of shutting things down and protecting the goalie's numbers, like any normal team would do when they're up 9-2 they decide it's a free-for-all and a rookie, no discipline, no-defense one at that.

Bowman says, thanks coach. Hope everyone had fun.

Cheap shots. Lots of cheap shots. Poor defense. Great offense. A lot of pucks going into small openings. That's what I remember.

This game could have gone either way if they played like they did when up 9-2.

They care about personal points and helping their buddies get more points. Great. They do not care about Bowman's numbers at all. Selfish.

For me, they ruined this game when they started that crap. Get serious and stay serious.

They played like 10 year olds...and the score reflects it.
Last edited by CHL Watcher on Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
CHL Watcher

Postby Digger on Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:13 am

The numbers tell a story with a .875 save percentage and in 17th position overall in the league. Windsor,SSM, Kitchener and Sarnia goalies are all above .926 in the league.

Bowman made 3 outstanding saves no doubt but at the end of the game 6 goals went by him, he was better than Oshawa's goalies last night but that isn't going to fly against the better teams.
Digger
Digger

Next

Return to Electric Ice Forum