Wish list

A forum for all fans of the Owen Sound Attack of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Digger, waudby

Re: Wish list

Postby CHL Watcher on Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:14 am

Digger wrote:The numbers tell a story with a .875 save percentage and in 17th position overall in the league. Windsor,SSM, Kitchener and Sarnia goalies are all above .926 in the league.

Bowman made 3 outstanding saves no doubt but at the end of the game 6 goals went by him, he was better than Oshawa's goalies last night but that isn't going to fly against the better teams.

I never said it would fly.

I said the team embarrassed him by being selfish about themselves.

Selfishly undisciplined and all in for helping each other....at the expense of any defense.

When they decided it was just a pick-up game with about 5 minutes left in the second period there were two types of game they could play. They chose the wrong one.
CHL Watcher

Postby Digger on Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:28 am

Perhaps but Oshawa only had 8 shots on net in the 3rd which was the lowest amout over the 1st and 2nd periods.

Couls they have played tighter defence I'm sure they could have but 8 shots is pretty low for a period.
Digger
Digger

Postby CHL Watcher on Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:38 am

Digger wrote:Perhaps but Oshawa only had 8 shots on net in the 3rd which was the lowest amout over the 1st and 2nd periods.

Couls they have played tighter defence I'm sure they could have but 8 shots is pretty low for a period.

Check out the replays.

He was screened or beaten with some good shots. Actually, the Oshawa goaltenders were having the same issues. Of the 18 goals allowed....most would say it was probably 15 really good ones and the score could have been 20-9 without some really good luck on both sides. I don't know if that's good offense or poor defense, but all three goaltenders got hung out huge.

I'm not trying to say that Bowman will do. I just feel they were all about inflating their personal stats. I find that a bit gross to watch. I would love to have seen them try out a shut down defense. They chose loosie goosie again.....with predictable results.

I would have been benching people long before that though. Long before. Szypula would have gotten the hook when he grabbed the Oshawa goalie around the neck and bent him over backwards. That started all the mayhem....and rightly so, if I'm in an Oshawa uniform. That was the first goal against.....broke the seal, so to speak. Groulx can take a seat any time, too. This is not Futa's OHL.

You can't teach discipline to some people. Get with the program!!!!!
CHL Watcher

Postby CHL Watcher on Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:09 am

Dipietro won't likely be back next year.

If they can't get a guy like that there aren't a lot of other options out there. Essentially, if a team has a good goaltender they're doing well enough to keep him. There are a couple of teams doing well without good goaltending (Attack included) but they're of no use for trade purposes.

The Rangers seem to have done well with a waiver pick-up from the Q. The Attack have a hard time scoring on him and so does everyone else. Imagine having to dole out picks or players for a waiver pick-up to be traded here? Ouch.

Doesn't matter...the Rangers are doing okay, too.

Flint? Saginaw? Another league? Erie holdout? Soo holdout?

Murdaca is better than Timpano.....but that's not saying much...and Erie disagrees.
The Soo has their holdout that we're all familiar with. He's a big game goalie who can't stop a beach ball in the regular season. Who has confidence in that? They finally figured out what we already knew. Villalta is the go to guy in the Soo.
CHL Watcher

Postby Digger on Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:14 am

CHL Watcher wrote:Dipietro won't likely be back next year.

He is only 18 this year I can't see him making the NHL as a 19 yr old but you never know. Just not likely.
Digger
Digger

Postby CHL Watcher on Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:18 am

Digger wrote:
CHL Watcher wrote:Dipietro won't likely be back next year.

He is only 18 this year I can't see him making the NHL as a 19 yr old but you never know. Just not likely.

You may be right....it doesn't happen very often, does it?

Dipietro is the best young goaltender in Canada in many years....but it would be a bit of a stretch.

That means the Attack are in a heap of trouble. Very lucky that Windsor has spent so many picks or they would/could threepeat with him in net.

He's more likely to upset a balanced game than a young Crosby could ever hope to do. Goaltending is 2-4 goals per game. Nobody else can do that.

That's why I threw out Dylan Wells....but I'm afraid the Petes are competing this season....so again....the Attack are out of luck.

Brampton Beast
40 Michael McNiven 1 59 0 1 0 0 0 5 5.09 29 0.853
Last edited by CHL Watcher on Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
CHL Watcher

Postby Digger on Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:24 am

That's why I don't think he will be traded and Windsor takes another run at it next year. Check their roster they have a lot of 18 yr olds so it kid of makes sense to me that they would with DiPietro in net.
Digger
Digger

Postby cubby01 on Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:36 am

It's great to see lots of traffic on this board again. Any ideas on who is between the pipes today? I think they go back to the vet in the big arena, let the young guy soak it all in. I
cubby01

Postby CHL Watcher on Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:43 am

The vet in the big arena sounds like a solid plan....most of the time.

I think Guzda might deserve a shot here.

Maybe the team will start to take pride in their defensive game....maybe not.

I don't like the lack of discipline that our new coach has allowed to take hold. Get those two clowns under control or pay the consequences. This isn't 1978.

But I digress.

Put Guzda in....sink or swim.
CHL Watcher

Postby Noofgoof on Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:51 am

Tough call.. Bowman if you want him to possibly try and bounce back from a sloppy 6 goal performance or Guzda because the game was a long one last night with a short turnaround having a 2 oclock start at the bud.
Noofgoof

Postby CHL Watcher on Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:13 pm

The last goaltender to have a respectable start was Guzda.

I'll commit. Start Guzda and go to Bowman if he's having issues. I don't think he will have issues.

Keep in mind....London should have won easily against the Spits in their last match. Dipietro completely robbed them. The Knights put plenty of rubber on net and allowed almost nothing.....and lost.

Totally different scenario today. The Attack have to start taking issue with goals against. The Attack must start to care about defense!!!

Defense wins championships.....and the Attack currently have no defense at all. Puck possession seems to be their only defense at all. Thankfully they have that covered most of the time.

Don't let the Knights catch a break. Terrible defensive play and a complete lack of discipline won't cut it.

Which team worries you the most?
Team A has 300 goals scored and 150 goals against with 700 penalty minutes.
Team B has 400 goals scored and 250 goals against with 1200 penalty minutes.

??

I don't like where the Attack are going with things.
CHL Watcher

Postby Noofgoof on Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:46 am

I posted this on half boards yesterday but here is some stats on Helvig and Depietro.. only thing to remember is Helvig is done this year Depietro has 1-2 years left

Interesting enough Helvig is a guy with lots of playoff experience according to his stats..in his career he is 2.79 with a 8.95 sv% and appeared in 19 games... Depietro which Windsor would rightfully so ask for a kings ransome has a 2.78 with a 9.04 sv % and appeared in ten playoff games. The stats however do not include his mem cup stats (as far as I know)for whatever reason the ohl site fails to include them. Between the 2 goalies there is not a ton of difference stats wise although Helvig is much older and in his last season in the league.

Some more stats
Regular season games
Helvig holds a 2.80 GAA and a 9.07 Sv% appearing in 111 regular season games with a 55 and 36 record(not including ot games)

Depietro has a 2.36 GAA and a 9.18 sv% appearing in 95 games with a 55 and 24 record also not including ot games

My info is off of the OHL site

Depietro had 4 wins at the mem cup last year with a Gaa of 2.0 and 9.32 save percentage however in my opinion didnt win to get there just won when they snuck in the back door..
Noofgoof

Postby Noofgoof on Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:52 am

I would be totally on board going for Helvig and Raddysh.. instead of Depietro... I would also be intrested in McKenzie from north bay. He has had pretty good career numbers and a wealth of playoff experience (48 games) I would flip Syzpula to NB
Noofgoof

Postby CHL Watcher on Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:24 am

1. Take fewer penalties
2. Bench players that take bad penalties and do it consistently and without favoritism.
3. Trade any and all players who can't be disciplined.
4. Find a steady goaltender, one way or another, with huge preference for a steady 19 year old. (Guzda is only 16) Sell the farm and the guys who fit the description above.
5. If you can get Raddysh or Sambrook then do it. Preference for Sambrook.

Those are my five big items on my "wish list"....with the first three being the meat of the issue right now. (something that needs to be dealt with and should be dealt with now)

I can't believe the lack of smarts/discipline being shown by this team. What a difference a coach can make.
CHL Watcher

Postby stevey on Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:29 am

I will cover 3 wishes with one.Do whatever has to be done to cut down the lazy undisciplined penalties. As far as adding players just upgrade our goalie.He isn't bad just doesn't seem to be able to shut the door when needed. Maybe Gill needs to call them retarded it seemed like a different team after the reports of Ryan calling them that.BTW I'm JK with the last statement.
stevey

PreviousNext

Return to Electric Ice Forum