BULKING UP.

A forum for all fans of the Owen Sound Attack of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Digger, waudby

BULKING UP.

Postby stevey on Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:04 pm

Apparently Raymaakers is now a London Knight not sure the details. Actually it is Tyler Johnson 2 2nds and a conditional 4th. I just realized the Rangers picked up Kole Sherwood from Flint. It's ON people everyone is starting to bulk up early.
stevey

Re: BULKING UP.

Postby hllywd99 on Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:24 pm

Busy day for trades. :shock:
........."FRACKEN A BABY! FRACKEN A!".............

......Andrew Shaw @ 11:09 pm 06/24/2013.......

.....TD Gardens in Boston, Mass.....
hllywd99

Postby stevey on Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:19 pm

Yes it was and the Mid West seems to be the big movers and shakers. I wonder if this forces us to do anything?
stevey

Postby CHL Watcher on Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:47 pm

Cole Sherwood is the only move that will make any difference....and it will make a big difference.

Joe Raaymakers is not going to be the one to put London over the top. They need players returning to do that and nobody can control that. Kitchener has looked like they're going for broke since the Logan Stanley deal....and they're doing some nice trade work.

I'm not sure what London was thinking. JR is a good 'money' goalie, but he's not McNiven, Parsons, Dipietro, or even Villalta......or Fulcher...or Wells...or Dhillon...or...name a few more...and that QMJHL goalie in Kitchener worries me more that JR.

Kitchener is winning the build competition, hands down. Stanley, Sherwood, and that goaltender have taken them from pretty decent to true contender in the blink of an eye. Taken together it's an impressive tweak.

BTW....
I was 'watching' Dylan Seitz and Liam Dumba playing for the Moncton Wildcats the other day. Moncton looks way better than anyone expected. They seem to like Dunda's size, but he looks a bit slow. They both seem to fit in well with the lines.

I find it interesting that so many kids are going from one league to the next this season. It always happens....but there seem to be more of them making a clear difference....and that's a little different.
CHL Watcher

Postby cubby01 on Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:40 pm

The Attack needs remain the same, hopefully management has a plan to keep up with the others. London does not scare me much, but I would hate to see the Rangers spoil what was supposed to be our year!! How dare they!
cubby01

Postby CHL Watcher on Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:34 am

This is a pivotal week for the league standings. It's early, the leaders are tightly packed together. Because of the schedule imbalance I'm looking only at winning percentage. More on that later...

The Attack will finish the weekend somewhere between 1st place and 11th place.
The Sting will be between 1st and 8th.

That's how quickly things can change if a team slips up for a couple of games.

With the Soo losing to Sudbury the Sting are the only team with a better winning percentage than the Attack.

The top of the standings is almost unreachable with the way the league schedule has been written. The Attack will have played 2 to 4 games fewer than any other team well into November. For example, the Sting have an extra game played at this point and will play three this weekend to the Attack's two. It's much the same for most of the league. The Attack have to keep winning and wait for others to fade. Expect a big push later if they can do that, because they eventually will make up those games.

...and they end the regular season here against Sarnia....and if early indications are worth anything....it's going to be a big game.

It's tough to say who the big dogs will be after Jan 10, but teams only trade stars away when they need to do so....and that's usually when they know they can't make a run. There are plenty of teams that could probably make a run this season...or think they can. The teams that plan to be in the finals need to snuff out that widespread enthusiasm as quickly as possible....or the assets available for trade get pretty expensive and come in short supply.

That means putting together a convincing run of wins. No pressure.
CHL Watcher

Postby stevey on Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:50 am

I agree Kitchener is becoming a juggernaut with these trades.They scare me and Sarnia if they make any moves. one thing I have learned tho is always keep one eye on those damn Knights. I know Goaltending is a issue with us fans but let's say hypotheticly we could have added Stanley and Sherwood.WOULD Goaltending be an issue then?
stevey

Postby attackisback on Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:47 am

kitcheners 5-0 goalie is now out with an injury. plus other than stanley who do they have on defence who can score?
attackisback

Postby CHL Watcher on Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:23 am

Fair enough, they don't have the depth of some teams at key positions, but relying on injuries to opposition players is not much of a plan.

The Attack are not in desperate need of anything. They just need to get their defensive game in order a little more.

There are so many guys on pace for 30 goals that you can hardly think offense is an issue. They are the top scoring team in the league on a point per game basis. Top forward, top defenseman. Still scoring large without Struthers, Gadjovich, Roberts, Sushko, sometimes a few at a time.

I also don't think they need a defenseman to replace any of the current ones. I don't see any of them as weak. I see a team that has been making mistakes more than they usually would. Gambling for offense too often. I like the aggressive approach quite a bit, but it comes with risk. They need to tighten it up and I'm betting they will.

The other thing that has slowed them up a bit is their penalties. They are right at the top in penatly minutes per game. That means they're exactly where they don't want to be with that stat. Fix that...tighten up the defense and the offense will really explode.

Goaltending is still a bit of a question to be answered, but there is plenty of time. An offense like the Attack allows for a bit of extra time....unless things take a bad turn. Best not let that happen.

My two cents.
CHL Watcher

Postby hockeyfan99 on Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:45 pm

This team is extremely deep on D and up front. I realize the addition of a player like Sherwood would be helpful, but where does he slot in on the Attack roster? They are so deep up front that I just don't see the need. Making trades because other teams are is a very scary game to play. There is still lots of time until the deadline and I think we give the coaching staff some time to fix the problems alluded above. Clean up the D and penalties and this is a scary team.

IMO, let the time play out and see what happens. My prediction is that the Attack end up with another blueliner who can help move the puck and on the PP and I think they add a goaltender. Just my .02
hockeyfan99

Postby CHL Watcher on Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:28 pm

Keep the powder dry for now. There may only be enough for one crucial deal....and conversely, there may be easy pickings when everyone else starts to back off. Best to play wait and see.

Nothing any team has done has really upset the balance yet. No need to move. Kitchener has improved, for sure....but past games aside, they are still in tough to make it pay.

I must be up to at least 4 cents by now.
CHL Watcher

Postby BearStrike on Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:44 pm

1) Could not disagree more about the non urgency of our goal tending. Pretty easy to see we will win nothing of any significance with the status quo. NOBODY wins playoff hockey with a .880 SP folks.
2) I do not expect a 16 yr old goalie to carry a veteran team that has high expectations. I also do not expect anything more from our current OA netminder since what we are getting from him now, is exactly what he has done through out his first 4 years of a 5 year OHL career. What is surprising is this is our situation in net and it's the back end of October. OA deadline is fast approaching.
3) Do we need a d-man, yup. But we have 5 of our starting 6 back (i think), how did it decline so much? Are our new systems that much different? Are we asking too much from certain skill sets? IMO our defence issue has nothing to do with the poor netminding numbers. They would improve a bit, but nothing earth shattering.

I have been to both Ranger games and talked to plenty of hard core Ranger fans. Three things they say about us over and over and over again.
1- You guys are not nearly as good as your made out to be. Agreed.
2- Whats going on in net. Agreed
3- I wont write this down because it attacks our HC

Strike
BearStrike

Postby PL8R G8R on Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:54 pm

Bear Strike............Other than DiPietro, Who else out there would help us now that Raymakers is in London?
L8R....The G8R
PL8R G8R

Postby attackisback on Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:17 pm

We can always hold hope for mcniven to return.

He's 0-1-1 with 10 goals against and sub .870 save percentage in 2 games
attackisback

Postby Noofgoof on Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:05 am

Mcniven back would be a god sent and its not impossible. We should all cross our fingers and toes because if we can get him back that frees up some assets to make another deal to put us over the top.
Noofgoof

Next

Return to Electric Ice Forum