Rosters for the Canada/Russia series

A forum for all fans of the Owen Sound Attack of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Digger, waudby

Rosters for the Canada/Russia series

Postby CHL Watcher on Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:29 pm

Congratulations to Nick Suzuki, Jonah Gadjovich, and Marcus Phillips.

Not unexpectedly for the slow learners at HC and NHL Central Scouting they just don't admit to mistakes and they do what they're told.

Sean Durzi won't be playing. So strange....with the game in Owen Sound. Expected, perhaps....knowing these guy's record for picking teams.

I do hope this is encouragement for him, rather than soul crushing.

Just ONCE I would like them to invite the best players. Never going to happen.....but it will be extra weird to watch a game in your own town played without even using the best player in town, let alone Canada. Just weird.

Without causing any fuss or trying to embarrass anyone......
If you had to pick one defenseman in Owen Sound (U20) for your team....who would it be? Don't answer.....just think about it.
CHL Watcher

Re: Rosters for the Canada/Russia series

Postby hockeyfan99 on Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:49 pm

I thought the exact same thing when I the roster was posted. First thing I looked for was Phillips over Durzi. Draft position talks... that will never go away.

Good on the 3 going as it will be a great event in our own backyard. Looking forward to watching some great hockey at the Lum.
hockeyfan99

Postby attackisback on Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:34 am

Phillips has been in canadas system since under 17's, durzi has not thats why he isnt on the team.
attackisback

Postby hockeyfan99 on Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:04 am

I think that's the point we are making, and that will never change. Our best 19 and under D is not playing on his home ice when another D is. That's where the system is flawed, and always will be.
hockeyfan99

Postby CHL Watcher on Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:08 am

Exactly.

Identifying talent early is a great idea....until the system freezes up and stops thinking at all.

Canada wants the best under 19s now.....not then best U17s then...now. If you catch my drift.

And it isn't Phillips who would likely be axed to make way for Durzi.

Gjd/Suz/Han would have been a great line to throw at them, too.....but Hancock never got the nod at 15?

This is an approach no other country would take and that's why the most talented country on earth struggles to win. They're doing what they can to play even up....and they're thinking. Never do that. Just send the best players.

This isn't supposed to be an old boys club. How, why, and with what justification did this happen? It's not something any sensible person can defend.

I want the best 18 and 19 year old players and I am not alone. Durzi is currently the best defenseman in the OHL in every category....and he can skate and dangle. No excuses.

I hope Durzi keeps his torrid pace going and embarrasses the HC/NHL brass with the scuttlebutt on national TV. Wear your Durzi jersey to the game. Buy one if you haven't yet done so. Can you imagine an OHL all-star team of 18 and 19 yr olds without Durzi? Preposterous.
CHL Watcher

Postby CHL Watcher on Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:54 pm

Bumped

This game is only 2 weeks away.

I do hope the televised game conversation includes the obvious need for progressive change at Hockey Canada. I do hope someone in the group scoffs at the roster.

Durzi has more goals than any other D, more assists than any of them have points, and a much better plus/minus than any other offensive defenseman. He's on pace for 40 goals, 91 assists, and +51.

Can you imagine the arrogance of leaving him off the roster, let alone here in Owen Sound?

Shocking incompetence or in-your-face politics?
CHL Watcher

Postby CHL Watcher on Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:50 am

Sean Durzi leads all defensemen or shares the lead in the following categories:

Goals
Assists
Points (obviously)
Points per game (obviously)
Game winning goals
Overtime goals
Powerplay goals
Shorthanded goals

he is also...
4th in shots on goal.
4th in plus/minus (can't control that quite as easily...but still pretty good)
Tied for 7th in powerplay assists.

and..
#105 in penalty minutes.

Hmmmm....
CHL Watcher

Postby CHL Watcher on Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:49 am

Moved
CHL Watcher

Postby Noofgoof on Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:48 am

Well what did everyone think of the game last night?
Noofgoof

Postby stevey on Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:12 am

Well to keep it brief we had one team that wanted the win and got it. The OHL played pretty well but I thought all that fire power should have been able to put some goals on the board. Love there goalie wow.
stevey

Postby hockeyfan99 on Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:28 am

It just seemed that the Russians played a pretty tight D-system for the most part, minus the breakaways in the 2nd period. The play was either scrambly or the Russians took away time and space.

The pace of the game was really fast, and I thought Suzuki looked really slow compared to the pace of play. Watching Pu, Kyrou, and many of the Russians the pace was really quick. Some of the skaters looked to me that they were having trouble keeping up.

I felt Phillips played a real solid game. No glaring mistakes, played solid. I liked his game.

Would have been interesting to see the offensive flair of Durzi on that ice surface.

Overall, job well done to the CHL, OHL, and the Attack. Fun evening at the rink.
hockeyfan99

Postby attackisback on Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:44 pm

i liked how the fries were $4.00 down from the normal $4.75
attackisback

Postby CHL Watcher on Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:06 pm

"all that firepower" and yet ...

They clearly didn't need "all" of it.

Not even nearly all of it.

If only they had a defenseman who makes things happen more than any of the ones they had. If only they had one with a massive + on the +/- side. What you need is one of those guys that threatens to break 100 points.

I guess there just wasn't anyone like that available this year.......Oh, well.

...and goaltending. It's a good thing they don't let those imports in anymore. That'll teach 'em.
CHL Watcher

Postby stevey on Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:53 am

I guess if they could have found a d-man like that he may have played with some fire and who knows what would have happened. And I agree on the goalie I was ready to grab him and keep him here then I remembered. The sad part is according to Hockey db he has only played 8 mins this season in don't know if there jr league shows up tho.
stevey

Postby Digger on Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:42 pm

Druzi playing in the Russia vs CHL game Monday with Gadjovich and Suzuki.

Goodluck boys.
Digger
Digger

Next

Return to Electric Ice Forum