Attack vs . Windsor

A forum for all fans of the Owen Sound Attack of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Digger, waudby

Attack vs . Windsor

Postby hockeyhockeyhockey on Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:11 pm

Attack surrender 2 goals on first 4 shots of the game. Then 2 goals on 4 shots in the 3rd.

Ill advised penalties lead to two pp goals against.

PP has gone stone cold.
O fer this weekend in three games.

Calling Jonah Gadjovich! You can't come back soon enough.

Calling Dale DeGray !

Find a goaltender.

That is all.
your Owen Sound Attack...

2011 OHL Champions
2011 Western Conference Champions
2011 Mid-West Division Regular Season Champions
2011 OHL Memorial Cup Participant
hockeyhockeyhockey

Re: Attack vs . Windsor

Postby cubby01 on Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:18 pm

You can't give up 5 goals on 18 shots, you just can't . You can't let a momentum killing flutter puck in from the blue line in a tie game. The boys played well today considering it was a third game in 3 days. Weak goals and bonehead penalties were the difference. And the other guy in goal was pretty good too.
cubby01

Postby hockeyhockeyhockey on Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:43 pm

Therein lies the frustration. To get four goals on the best goalie in the OHL was quite an accomplishment. To surrender 4 on 8 shots is totally deflating.

Bad penalties, and bad penalty killing dog this team .

It will very likely cost this team future assets to aquire a top goalie.

Without one, this squad may very well be the best team to never win anything that Owen Sound has seen.

I hope I'm wrong and this team begins to click in November like last year.

But I'm afraid the evidence is mounting against that with the current situation.

There is a leak in the dam, and unless it gets patched, the water will all be gone with nothing harvested.

2011 OHL Champions
hockeyhockeyhockey

Postby hllywd99 on Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:45 pm

Thought we would see Guzda today.
Anybody that watches this team knows they have to find some goaltending so we have to assume that DD knows it to.
........."FRACKEN A BABY! FRACKEN A!".............

......Andrew Shaw @ 11:09 pm 06/24/2013.......

.....TD Gardens in Boston, Mass.....
hllywd99

Postby Pitou on Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:15 pm

I thought the Attack played a pretty complete game against Kitchener, one of their better efforts of late. Even Bowman looked pretty good. Not today. The PK can look bad when your goalie is not nabbing some of the more routine chances. There are things they need to clean up as a team, that are NOT related to goaltending. DIscipline being one.
Guzda and Bowman are currently 35th and 36th respectively in the league in save percentage. That's a long way down the ladder.

Goaltending confidence can impact a team beyond just the raw numbers. It can deflate or add swagger to a team. RAymaakers gave London back some swagger. Yes there have been other additions, but none with more impact.
Last edited by Pitou on Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pitou

Postby Annan_Man on Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:19 am

We certainly need goaltending help but putting this one completely on Bowman is not right. Windsor went 3 for 4 on the PP. I didn't think any of the PP goals were Bowman's fault. He definitely needed to save the 4th goal which was even strength and a momentum killer. I don't know what happened on that one but he was out of position. Discipline and a PK would have won this game for us. Szypula took 2 bad penalties one right after he scored a goal which led to a goal.

What is the word on Gadjovich? Anyone know????

I think we flip Bowman and extras to Kingston for Helvig sooner than later.
Annan_Man

Postby hockeyfan99 on Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:12 am

It is kind of strange that Bowman started this game.

In the NHL, you very rarely see goailes back in back-to-back games ever, so watching a 20 year old kid play 3 games in 2.5 days just seems excessive.

It shows how quickly a goalie can go from being raved about (Friday and Saturday Bowman played very well, including many 10 bell breakaway saves on Saturday) to wearing the goat horns the next day. Tough business being a goalie.
hockeyfan99

Postby Pitou on Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:20 am

hockeyfan99 wrote:It is kind of strange that Bowman started this game.

In the NHL, you very rarely see goailes back in back-to-back games ever, so watching a 20 year old kid play 3 games in 2.5 days just seems excessive.

It shows how quickly a goalie can go from being raved about (Friday and Saturday Bowman played very well, including many 10 bell breakaway saves on Saturday) to wearing the goat horns the next day. Tough business being a goalie.

I agree 3 in 3 is tough for a goalie. But I think the lens that we are rating as "raved about" and "played very well" is artificially elevated by some of the other efforts we have seen. In reality I think they were just solid performances that should be expected of a veteran goaltender occupying an OA spot. The bottom line is GAA and save percentage is not established (good or bad) over a single weekend. When looking at that lens, there is no regular OHL starter below Bowman in save %. Just a small sprinkling of a couple rookies and sparingly used tenders below him. I'm not trying to be cruel or anti-Bowman, he may turn it around, but attaining this level of potential that the Attack has this season, may not come around again for several more years. Bowman needs to show he is "the guy" with some consistency, very soon.
Pitou

Postby attackisback on Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:53 am

kingston picks up another goalie they now have 3

Date Team Transfers To Team Transfers
Oct. 30 SAG Brendan Bonello KGN KGN 6 2019

# Rookie Player Pos Catches Height Weight DOB Hometown Draft
20 Bonello, Brendan G L 6.03 215 Apr 1, 1999 Mississauga, ON
OHL - SAG (2015) Rd: 3 (#45)

50 Peccia, Mario G L 6.01 194 Sep 21, 1999 Toronto, ON
OHL - KGN (2015) Rd: 7 (#130)

60 Helvig, Jeremy G L 6.04 204 May 25, 1997 Markham, ON
NHL - CAR (2016) Rd: 5 (#134)

OHL - KGN (2013) Rd: 3 (#45)
attackisback

Postby stevey on Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:21 am

It will be interesting to see what happens there.I am not familiar with Helvig only what I've heard but his #'s look good.If we are interested in going on a long playoff run ending in Western Canada I think we need to upgrade our goaltending.I am not slamming Bowman but we need a little more from our tendy's. I wonder what Helvig would cost,he's no DiPietro but we know what that is gonna cost and maybe Helvig would get us there at a more affordable cost. I have loved DiPietro from the first time I saw him and one voice in my head say's go for it at all cost's but the common sense voice say's go for the next best thing at lower cost. I guess this is why OHL GM's are paid as well as they are.
stevey

Postby Pitou on Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:08 am

stevey wrote:It will be interesting to see what happens there.I am not familiar with Helvig only what I've heard but his #'s look good.If we are interested in going on a long playoff run ending in Western Canada I think we need to upgrade our goaltending.I am not slamming Bowman but we need a little more from our tendy's. I wonder what Helvig would cost,he's no DiPietro but we know what that is gonna cost and maybe Helvig would get us there at a more affordable cost. I have loved DiPietro from the first time I saw him and one voice in my head say's go for it at all cost's but the common sense voice say's go for the next best thing at lower cost. I guess this is why OHL GM's are paid as well as they are.

If you remove Sarnia from the mix, Windsor is right in the mix with the top teams in the West. My guess is DiPietro is going nowhere this early in the season, unless they fall off the pace or the offer is too outrageous to pass up. Which IMO will take more than just a boatload of draft picks. It will take one or more quality roster rookie or sophomore plus picks. Just my guess.
Pitou

Postby attackisback on Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:19 am

remember back in the Futa days the team with bobby ryan ect ect they were geared to be great but goaltending was the flawed position
attackisback

Postby stevey on Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:02 pm

I agree and If the writer from Kitchener is right Di Pietro would cost a ton of 2nd's and Dudas and another prospect WAY WAY WAY TO much.If Helvig was available at more reasonable cost I say go for it.
stevey

Postby Annan_Man on Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:21 pm

DiPetrio's cost is so high because he has 1-2 more years in the O after this year. Helvig is an OA so should be a cheaper option. My hunch is a young forward (Moro or Doherty) and 2 mid to late round picks. Or a high pick and 3 mid to late round picks.
Annan_Man

Postby hockeyhockeyhockey on Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:55 pm

Here's what we just paid for Lyle. He's the same age as Phillips, and Suzuki, non drafted, in his 3rd OHL season

2nd, 5th, 15th, Propp and King.

So not sure how a goalies value compares. I'd imagine Kingston wants young warm bodies in exchange for their #1 tender.

2011 OHL Champions
hockeyhockeyhockey

Next

Return to Electric Ice Forum