Game 16-London @attack Nov 4,2017 7:30 pm

A forum for all fans of the Owen Sound Attack of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Digger, waudby

Game 16-London @attack Nov 4,2017 7:30 pm

Postby attackisback on Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:16 am

Hated knights make their first visit of the year. Standing room only.
attackisback

Re: Game 16-London @attack Nov 4,2017 7:30 pm

Postby Digger on Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:02 am

Knights bounce back with 4-1 win in Owen Sound

By Ryan Pyette, The London Free Press
Saturday, November 4, 2017 10:43:08 EDT PM

So who are the London Knights this year?

The team that lost at home to Saginaw Friday or the one that buried four third-period goals to subdue the Attack 4-1 before 3,277 Saturday in Owen Sound?

If they resemble the latter more often, they will quickly climb the ladder to the upper echelon of the OHL's Western Conference.

"As a group, we're really confident in what we can do," captain Robert Thomas said. "I think we came out really strong, had a good first period and that set the tone for the game.

"If we focus on our starts, it will really lead to good success for us."

London outshot Owen Sound 11-7 in a scoreless first and played the Attack to a goal-less stalemate through 40 minutes.

The Knights fell behind early in the third, then struck for their first three goals in a four-minute span midway through the period.

Max Jones, with two, and Thomas did the damage. They have been London's most trusted scorers all season.

"It showed our character as a team," Thomas, the Blues first rounder said. "We're not willing to lose games (against Saginaw, they scored three late to force overtime). We're clutching down when it matters most."

Thomas' 12th tally in 14 games allowed London to play with its first lead in a week, a three-game span going back to the opening minute of the second period in Hamilton.

They didn't disappoint.

They now have a win and an overtime loss against Owen Sound, who is supposed to be the class of the always-tough Midwest Division this year.

London finally cracked Attack goalie Zack Bowman, who foiled three Knights breakaway attempts. They also threw a blanket over Owen Sound's star centre Nick Suzuki, becoming the second team this fall to hold him pointless -- after Kitchener.

"Any time you can hold a guy like that off the scoresheet, it's a good game," Thomas said. "Our D played really well, they moved the puck quick and limited chances. (Goalie Joseph) Raaymakers made a couple of huge saves to keep us in it."

Despite five goals Friday, Dale Hunter shuffled the forward lines again.

He moved usual centre Cliff Pu to Thomas' right side. They produced well with Sam Miletic, who generates as many quality scoring chances as anyone in the league right now.

Jones teamed with Alex Formenton to cause havoc on the rush with their speed.

"We're just trying to get things going on all the lines," Thomas said. "I think it worked. It was nice to play with Cliff. Any time you play with someone like that is a unique opportunity."

This is a critical month for the Knights.

The team's brass needs to know before world junior camps begin in December if they have a consistent squad that routinely matches up well against top foes.

A win in Owen Sound is a step in the right direction.

You can put this one right up there on the list of important London victories this season.

It's neck-and-neck with the skid-buster in Kitchener a couple of weeks ago.

rpyette@postmedia.com
Digger
Digger

Postby CHL Watcher on Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:50 am

The Attack are playing themselves into a real jam.

DD is going to be faced with an impossible task...

He has to find a team worse than his own....with a goaltender that can help his team. What odds? Is there such a thing?

Then...if he can find a better goaltender....then he has to know the guy would be okay with multiple breakaway chances against him...every game....and with being shorthanded...a lot.

It's just not looking good right now. Every loss raises the price and narrows the options. This would have been a really good trade to get right the first time.

I'm not blaming Bowman....not completely by any stretch. I'm just saying that these guys need a goalie that just doesn't exist...maybe even in Windsor...if they plan to win any trophies. It's on them to get better.
CHL Watcher

Postby Digger on Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:43 am

Not sure if the team has some sickness or not but I thought the energy was missing last night when you would think against London that would not exist.

I am beginning to think the experts had this year all wrong basing it on last years results and the number of players drafted last year.

The inconsitantancy with goaltending was evident again last night with Bowman looking strong the first two periods, then not there when the team needed it the most in the 3rd period.

The goal off the blocker that went up in the air and behind the goalie is pretty rare to see happen. Is that just bad luck or what?

So with that in mind and if it's true do you still go all out and give up the farm to make a run with this team or build for next year?
Digger
Digger

Postby stevey on Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:25 am

I am totally stumped. Play a great game for 2 plus periods and give it away. I can't totally blame Bowman even tho he does't seem to be able to make that game winning set of saves,his teammates have to shoulder some blame. I see to much individualism and dangerous offensive decisions leading to turnovers that end up making us look bad. Is Jonah Gadjovich our whole pp? It seems without him the pp sucks.I hate to blame the Coach but I cried when I heard McGill signed in Vegas I had a bad feeling about it. I think Gill is a good Coach just maybe the wrong one for this group. They need to get this figured out we possibly lose alot next year.
stevey

Postby PL8R G8R on Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:37 am

My 2 Cents..............I agree we need a goalie, But I look at Szypula OA 16 games 2 goals (1 off the shaft of his stick and 1 a scrabble in the crease) Campbell 19, 16 games 0 goals. Our older players are not producing. Goaltending will solve one problem, but I see more.
L8R....The G8R
PL8R G8R

Postby stevey on Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:10 pm

I agree G8TR and one of those players is one of the guiltiest individual players we have. How many P.I.M's ?
stevey

Postby Pitou on Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:53 pm

Perhaps the best indicator of the future is to look at the past. GIll coached the Fonts over three seasons. 11/12, 12/13, and 13/14 seasons. Over that period the Fonts never ranked better than 15th in the league in PK. That season they were a strong team, finishing 3rd in their conference. One of those seasons the Fonts ranked dead last in PK.

A coach needs to get the team amounting to the sum of their parts or exceeding the sum of their parts. We all see what can happen when a coach can't do that, as demonstrated in the Bobby Ryan, Mike Stothers era where Futa sold the farm looking for the right goalie and right mix, when it's the same coaching systems.

I'm not saying Gill is Stothers or destined to fail, but coaching is a huge element of success regardless of who is wearing your team crest.
Pitou

Postby Digger on Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:20 pm

Attack win, lose in back-to-back games

By Denis Langlois, Sun Times, Owen Sound
Sunday, November 5, 2017 11:40:10 EST AM

October was a big month for Sean Durzi that culminated with the Owen Sound Attack player being named the Ontario Hockey League's defenceman of the month.

But while the 19-year-old Mississauga native says he's honoured by the individual accolade, his focus has always been on doing what he can to help his team excel.

“I was really just worrying about team success, playing hard in my own end, and then success will come out in the other end,” he said in an interview Saturday prior to the Attack's 4-1 loss to the London Knights at the Harry Lumley Bayshore Community Centre.

The loss came on the heels of a 5-4 shootout win Friday night on the road for the Attack over the Mississauga Steelheads. Durzi had a goal and an assist in that game.

Four days before Saturday's contest, the OHL announced that Durzi was one of its four league performers of the month for October.

He received the defenceman title after leading all rearguards with 20 points – seven goals and 13 assists in 11 games – and posting a plus/minus rating of plus-seven.

At the end of October, he was leading the OHL in assists with 17 and was third in the league in points with 25.

Durzi, who played his 121st regular season OHL game Saturday, said his strategy this season has been to keep his game simple.

“And really having faith in everyone to do their jobs. If you have a good power-play rolling and everyone's moving the puck well, the points are going to come,” he said.

Head coach Todd Gill said Durzi is a special player for the Attack who has been good for the team when they're playing five-on-five and on a power-play.

“Offensively, he's very creative, has great offensive instincts and he's a great passer, great shooter with the puck. If you add those all those together, it makes for a pretty dangerous player on the ice,” he said.

Saturday's game saw scoreless first and second periods. The Attack was first to get on the scoreboard with a goal by Aidan Dudas two minutes and 22 seconds into the third frame.

The London Knights tied the game with a Max Jones goal at the 8:40-mark. The Knights then scored another two goals – one by Robert Thomas and another by Jones – within about four minutes of their first to pull ahead 3-1. Sam Miletic scored into an empty Attack net at the 18:48 mark.

Joseph Raaymakers earned the win in the Knights' net after stopping 24 shots. The Attack's Zack Bowman took the loss after making 23 saves.

Gill, in a post-game interview, said the Knights outplayed the Attack in all aspects of the game and it was a contest the Attack deserved to lose.

“We had a fairly strong game in Mississauga and I'm not sure what happened tonight. The other team outplayed us and that's the bottom line,” he said.

In Friday's game, the Attack and Steelheads were deadlocked 0-0 after the first period. Kevin Hancock scored back-to-back goals for the Attack in the second before Dudas netted a single to make it 3-0.

Albert Michnac and Nicolas Hague both scored for the Steelheads later in the second. Michnac then scored twice in the third to put the Steelheads up 4-3. Durzi scored with less than a minute left in the frame to force overtime.

Nick Suzuki and Maksim Sushko both scored for the Attack in the shootout. Nicolas Hague was the lone Steelheads player to score in the shootout.

Bowman earned the win in net for the Attack after stopping 30 shots. Jacob Ingham took the loss after making 41 saves.

The Owen Sound Attack is next in action Nov. 11 when the Sudbury Wolves visit the Lumley-Bayshore for a 7:30 p.m. game.

October was a big month for Sean Durzi that culminated with the Owen Sound Attack player being named the Ontario Hockey League's defenceman of the month.

But while the 19-year-old Mississauga native says he's honoured by the individual accolade, his focus has always been on doing what he can to help his team excel.

“I was really just worrying about team success, playing hard in my own end, and then success will come out in the other end,” he said in an interview Saturday prior to the Attack's 4-1 loss to the London Knights at the Harry Lumley Bayshore Community Centre.

The loss came on the heels of a 5-4 shootout win Friday night on the road for the Attack over the Mississauga Steelheads. Durzi had a goal and an assist in that game.

Four days before Saturday's contest, the OHL announced that Durzi was one of its four league performers of the month for October.

He received the defenceman title after leading all rearguards with 20 points – seven goals and 13 assists in 11 games – and posting a plus/minus rating of plus-seven.

At the end of October, he was leading the OHL in assists with 17 and was third in the league in points with 25.

Durzi, who played his 121st regular season OHL game Saturday, said his strategy this season has been to keep his game simple.

“And really having faith in everyone to do their jobs. If you have a good power-play rolling and everyone's moving the puck well, the points are going to come,” he said.

Head coach Todd Gill said Durzi is a special player for the Attack who has been good for the team when they're playing five-on-five and on a power-play.

“Offensively, he's very creative, has great offensive instincts and he's a great passer, great shooter with the puck. If you add those all those together, it makes for a pretty dangerous player on the ice,” he said.

Saturday's game saw scoreless first and second periods. The Attack was first to get on the scoreboard with a goal by Aidan Dudas two minutes and 22 seconds into the third frame.

The London Knights tied the game with a Max Jones goal at the 8:40-mark. The Knights then scored another two goals – one by Robert Thomas and another by Jones – within about four minutes of their first to pull ahead 3-1. Sam Miletic scored into an empty Attack net at the 18:48 mark.

Joseph Raaymakers earned the win in the Knights' net after stopping 24 shots. The Attack's Zack Bowman took the loss after making 23 saves.

Gill, in a post-game interview, said the Knights outplayed the Attack in all aspects of the game and it was a contest the Attack deserved to lose.

“We had a fairly strong game in Mississauga and I'm not sure what happened tonight. The other team outplayed us and that's the bottom line,” he said.

In Friday's game, the Attack and Steelheads were deadlocked 0-0 after the first period. Kevin Hancock scored back-to-back goals for the Attack in the second before Dudas netted a single to make it 3-0.

Albert Michnac and Nicolas Hague both scored for the Steelheads later in the second. Michnac then scored twice in the third to put the Steelheads up 4-3. Durzi scored with less than a minute left in the frame to force overtime.

Nick Suzuki and Maksim Sushko both scored for the Attack in the shootout. Nicolas Hague was the lone Steelheads player to score in the shootout.

Bowman earned the win in net for the Attack after stopping 30 shots. Jacob Ingham took the loss after making 41 saves.

The Owen Sound Attack is next in action Nov. 11 when the Sudbury Wolves visit the Lumley-Bayshore for a 7:30 p.m. game.
Digger
Digger

Postby CHL Watcher on Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:30 am

Digger wrote:...So with that in mind and if it's true do you still go all out and give up the farm to make a run with this team or build for next year?

I think you do attempt to make a run. I'm just not sure there are a lot of options....and I am sure the options are becoming even more scarce as time marches on.

As the Attack fall down the standings the contenders list grows and the sellers list shrinks. More buyers, less sellers, and far fewer good options = hefty price for improvement if you have an option for a worthwhile trade at all.

I think the only option right now is working on improving on what can be improved upon...that is...the PK (as mentioned above) and the number of penalties taken (when combined with a failing pk it's a fatal combo). The refs are calling it really close right now, as they often do to set a bar for the season (they seem to let more go as the season goes on) and every team is noticing it, but the Attack have been particularly guilty. A fast moving, puck possession team with a solid roster should be forcing/drawing penalties, rather than committing them. There has been too much miscommunication on the ice, plenty of passing into the skates or just behind, gambling offensively beyond what's reasonable (12-6!!! multiple breakaways allowed every game!! /r), and too many momentum killing penalties. and I agree that a couple of older players need to step it up to playoff mode right now...and that includes staying out of the box. Lead by example.

Let's face it...this ship has a lot of holes right now. And I believe they're being measured against an inferior league this season...which only makes it all the stranger. I expected a goaltending drop....everyone did....but the rest of it? I don't think so. The team can score goals pretty well most of the time...but that's where the goodness ends.

Still...we all know what we have here. There's plenty of talent and it is not a stretch to say they could put a good string of wins together any time they decide to gel. Dale DeGray is the only one who knows what's what as far as ideas and options that may happen before the deadline....but I certainly would not blow this thing up unless they're stumbling badly through late December....then absolutely. For now I'd be looking hard for a couple of player types.
CHL Watcher

Postby Noofgoof on Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:23 am

At the game saturday I overheard someone say they thought they saw Gadjovich in some kind of cast on his one arm.. I did not see it so I am not sure how true it is but thats just what I heard.
Noofgoof

Postby stevey on Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:34 am

I heard he had a brace on his wrist/hand but he wasn't wearing it last Tuesday on Attack Rap.
stevey

Return to Electric Ice Forum