on the bright side

A forum for all fans of the Owen Sound Attack of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Digger, waudby

on the bright side

Postby CHL Watcher on Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:20 pm

At 9-5-2 they're still well ahead of last year's opening pace and if they get even 2 pts in the next 5 games that will remain true.

So maybe it's not so bad?

I know it looks bad....

Yet...it was far worse this time last year.

That's one reason I think the league is a little weak this year. Rosters all around the league just don't look as intimidating this year as we've seen in past years.
CHL Watcher

Re: on the bright side

Postby Pitou on Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:38 pm

I think we become guilty in getting caught up in the hype of CHL rankings and writer predictions. Unfortunately there are very few OHL writers that are able to provide dependable analysis beyond a few teams they follow. The rest of the info is cobbled, based on hearsay, speculation, the previous season and expected returnees. Goaltending and a new coach were two significant wild cards going in, which we knew.

The only alarm bell is the Attack seems to be regressing in some areas. Either that or other teams are progressing at a faster rate. There's just a subtle air of sloppiness/ lack of discipline that we have not been used to seeing over the past few seasons. By discipline, I'm not referring only to penalties. Even the pre-game/ period warm up seems to be less organized/ crisp.

That's the exciting and, at times, frustrating roller coaster of Jr. hockey. It's like bits and bites. "Every handful is a whole new ball game". Still a lot of fun for $20.
Pitou

Postby stevey on Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:19 pm

You nailed it Pitou. Jr hockey always has and probably always will be a rollercoaster.Hopefully the boy's figure out how to stay on the upside lol. we have saw spurts of what they are capable of and if they start doing those things all the time look out.
stevey

Postby hockeyfan99 on Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:28 pm

They are currently 1 point out of the division lead and the #2 seed in the conference, and Kitchener has probably made their moves....

The development of players like Sushko, Campbell, Struthers, etc. has kind of stunted it appears, but the talent is evident. The team is getting absolutely nothing from Szypula and I feel an upgrade there would be massive. This team could sure use another import player who could help the secondary scoring.

On the bright side, they have a better record than last year with a team just as talented, minus in goal. I think they still have a real chance to put this all together, and I wouldn't go any other way that to make a huge push for a title, but that's just me. :)
hockeyfan99

Postby hllywd99 on Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:08 pm

How about Durzi with 9 goals and 18 assists. :shock:
........."FRACKEN A BABY! FRACKEN A!".............

......Andrew Shaw @ 11:09 pm 06/24/2013.......

.....TD Gardens in Boston, Mass.....
hllywd99

Postby attackisback on Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:49 am

I’m hard pressed to find another team with 3 over agers who are under achieving as much as our 3. Can’t win without your oldest being leaders.
attackisback

Postby CHL Watcher on Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:37 am

hockeyfan99 wrote:They are currently 1 point out of the division lead and the #2 seed in the conference, and Kitchener has probably made their moves....

The development of players like Sushko, Campbell, Struthers, etc. has kind of stunted it appears, but the talent is evident. The team is getting absolutely nothing from Szypula and I feel an upgrade there would be massive. This team could sure use another import player who could help the secondary scoring.

On the bright side, they have a better record than last year with a team just as talented, minus in goal. I think they still have a real chance to put this all together, and I wouldn't go any other way that to make a huge push for a title, but that's just me. :)

I have to disagree about Struthers, Sushko, and Lyszczarczyk. Sushko is scoring goals at a faster rate than Suzuki and I don't think anyone expects him to keep up points-wise. Lyszczarczyk has been a good add and has given the team a little extra offensive depth. Struthers missed a few games, but has been pretty decent and certainly not out of place. I don't think any of these guys are a problem...and I don't see their development being stunted. If it looks like development is stunted we may be expecting too much.

Now...Szypula I have issues with. Campbell gets a bit of a pass because he's one year younger, plays with discipline, and works his butt off. Zippy can't keep a lid on his emotions again. Remember when he cleaned it up approaching last year's playoffs? He looked great out there. He's regressed. Not what you need from an OA. Bowman is and apparently always has been consistently inconsistent. He makes great saves and allows easy ones and the first don't nearly offset the second. Not good enough for an OA spot.

Friend is fine. Hardest hits in the league.....gets penalties for noise and the result of those checks. I'll take a few of those. He's not Bobby Orr, but I really don't care.
CHL Watcher

Postby attackisback on Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:07 am

hard hits but turnovers galore which have resulted in goals against.
attackisback

Postby CHL Watcher on Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:47 pm

okay, fair enough.

Like I said....not Bobby Orr. He should mind that.
CHL Watcher

Return to Electric Ice Forum