Important weekend

A forum for all fans of the Owen Sound Attack of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Digger, waudby

Important weekend

Postby CHL Watcher on Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:20 pm

This weekend is kind of pivotal if the Attack are going to stay close. Two wins and they're right there.....Anything else and they're not.

Hopefully they don't leave themselves needing a run like last year to stay with the top teams.

10-10-1 last year after 21 games.

This year is on a better pace than last....so far. Anybody feel that's good enough?
CHL Watcher

Re: Important weekend

Postby labdog on Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:33 pm

Gadj is back...
labdog

Postby Sounder76 on Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:29 pm

That is what this team needs....big body that tells opponents "don't bother".....
The fact he scores is a bonus really.....
Add one more piece and we have a Cup team.....
Sounder76

Postby hockeyhockeyhockey on Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:28 am

Gadjovich s injury showed just how fragile this team is without him. His three pt return proved that true.

It is befuddling how a team on the cusp of greatness six months ago is struggling to stay middle of the pack now.

The team just isn't the sum of its parts. Goaltending is weak.

The coach's five man defensive unit struggles.

Jonah is emerging as the heart of the team . As he goes, so too does the Attack .Time for some of the other vets to step up and help carry the load.
your Owen Sound Attack...

2011 OHL Champions
2011 Western Conference Champions
2011 Mid-West Division Regular Season Champions
2011 OHL Memorial Cup Participant
hockeyhockeyhockey

Postby CHL Watcher on Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:45 am

It was Sudbury. That's a team that has a defense so bad that even the Attack defense looks strong by comparison. That was the easy game.

This next one will be a bit more of a challenge. Sarnia needs to keep sliding....and what are the odds?

Last night was a nice snapshot of the what is the best line in the league and what happens when they're into it. Had they all played 20 games together the bears might be in a different place right now. It also shows that the team needs one more big body up front.

Still....need better goaltending or it won't matter at all. Discipline and defense....for now....and a goaltender at some point in time.....along with one more big bodied, bull-in-a-china-shop type. That would be perfect.

DD has to know it's either now or not-for-a-little-while-longer. Now would be good.
Last edited by CHL Watcher on Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
CHL Watcher

Postby stevey on Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:48 am

The Sarnia game will be a huge test. It will be tough to come out with 2 pts there the boy's need to bring there A++ game for sure the Sting mean business this year. I don't know any details of Jonah's injury but he must of been skating I thought he looked faster out there.
stevey

Postby CHL Watcher on Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:50 am

stevey wrote:The Sarnia game will be a huge test. It will be tough to come out with 2 pts there the boy's need to bring there A++ game for sure the Sting mean business this year. I don't know any details of Jonah's injury but he must of been skating I thought he looked faster out there.

He certainly kept his playing form.
CHL Watcher

Postby hockeyfan99 on Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:58 am

That was a dominant game tonight, marred by 2 really bad goals against Guzda. With a goalie his size, who leaves certain spots of the net open to dare shooters, you just can let pucks go through you and all 3 goals tonight went through him in some fashion.

My takes:

-top line was absolutely dominate. They seem to have ESP on where each is going to be in the offensive zone. Fun to watch.
-Lyle is looking more and more comfortable each game. That pickup is going to play out beautifully.
-Sean Durzi. Wow. All we can say at this point. Just terrific out there.
-That fight in the 1st was wild. A pile of haymakers
-Seems like Lazer and Szypula are in the dog house. They both looked really bad last night IMO, including a bad giveaway by Lazer on the first goal. I predict changes coming potentially.

Large game tonight. Sarnia played at home Friday and will be rested and ready.
hockeyfan99

Postby CHL Watcher on Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:09 am

If anyone has video of that fight they should upload it. It was epic. Very old-school.

Fighting might be on the outs, but that one deserves to be in a highlight compilation if you're talking about that game. Any highlight reel that doesn't have it is "fake news" about the game. :lol:

Epic fight.
CHL Watcher

Postby hockeyhockeyhockey on Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:49 pm

Not sure how, why the fight started, but it was a heavyweight tilt for sure.

It was good the linesman stepped back and let it play put, Friend held up his hand to call them off and they did.

Haven't seen a tilt like that forever.
I'd go easy on Guzda, he's see his fourth game in his career and has 5 of 8 pts, good for a 16 yr old. He will only get better.

After the top line, Gill seems to be shuffling players in and out in hopes of seeing something click.
I didn't see much last night .

Suzuki sure missed Gadjo. Those three are magic to watch. Totally dominate when they are clicking .

I'd net Bowman gets the start today. I hope he is up to the task. Sarnia is a force with excellent goaltending .

2011 OHL Champions
hockeyhockeyhockey

Postby Digger on Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:40 pm

Attack defeat Wolves
By Rob Gowan, Sun Times, Owen Sound
Saturday, November 11, 2017 11:53:53 EST PM

Jonah Gadjovich was a man-child on a mission for the Owen Sound Attack on Saturday.

After missing four weeks with an upper-body injury, the burly winger was back to himself created chaos in front of the opposition goalie at the Harry Lumley Bayshore Community Centre.

And it was Marshall Frappier and the Sudbury Wolves who were Gadjovich`s target as he scored two first-period goals and had several other chances in helping the Attack down the Wolves 7-3.

``I wanted to come back and contribute,`` said Gadjovich, who also had an assist on the night. ``It is nice to be back with my linemates and producing offence because that is what we do.``

Gadjovich said it had been a long time since he saw game action, but he wasn`t surprised that he was able to slot right back into the lineup and contribute.

``I have been working so hard in practice and I have been paying attention in the stands,`` said Gadjovich. ``Tonight I felt I was holding onto the puck a little longer and making better plays.``

The win got the Attack back into the win column after dropping their last game 4-1 to the London Knights on Nov. 4. It was also Remembrance Day and Military Appreciation Night at the Lumley-Bayshore on Saturday, with the Attack wearing special commemorative camouflage jerseys and several special events held throughout the evening to recognize the sacrifices made by Canada`s veterans.

``It was a good cause and in the back of our minds we were thinking about those who sacrificed for us,`` said Gadjovich. ``We played our hearts out tonight.``

The Attack led the game from start to finish on the night.

Sean Durzi opened the scoring just over two minutes into the game when he pinched in off the point and netted his 10th goal of the season.

Gadjovich put the Attack up 2-0 at 12:53 when he took a pass across from Nick Suzuki and buried it behind Wolves goalie Marshall Frappier.

But just under a minute later, Sudbury got on the board when Kyle Rhodes put a low shot through traffic that beat Attack goalie Mack Guzda.

Gadjovich would restore Owen Sound`s two-goal lead before the end of the first when at 14:53 of the period he netted his second of the game when the puck bounced off the backboards and he found it and put it home.

The Attack outshot the Wolves 13-4 in the first period and 44-21 overall on the night.

The Attack went up 4-1 in the second period when Durzi called for the puck coming in off the blue-line, received a pass across from Kevin Hancock and roofed it over Frappier at the 1:38 mark.

The Attack outshot the Wolves 18-8 in the period.

Darian Pilon scored just 39 seconds into the third for Sudbury when he walked in on a breakaway and slid it between Guzda`s legs to make the score 4-2.

Matthew Struthers put the Attack up 5-2 at 1:53 of the third when he potted a shorthanded goal after getting three whacks at the puck and finally slid it under Frappier.

Sudbury pulled to within two again at 5:04 of the third on a point shot by Evan Krassey with no traffic in front that Guzda would probably want another shot at.

But Durzi found a wide open Hancock at 7:52 of the third and he made no mistake in roofing the puck to put the Attack up 6-3.

Owen Sound put the game out of reach with just over a minute to play when Brady Lyle scored a power-play goal on a blast from the point.

Owen Sound outshot Sudbury 18-9 in the third.

Owen Sound was 1-for-2 on the power play on the night, while Sudbury was 1-for-4.

Gadjovich, a 19-year-old Whitby native, was a Canada World Junior hopeful before his injury and he said he still has that in his mind.

``Obviously I want to play for Canada and represent my country, but the Attack come first for me,`` said Gadjovich. ``I am going to give it everything I have here every night and whatever happens happens.``

Gadjovich also had to sit out Thursday night`s game 3 of the CIBC Canada Russia Series at the Lumley-Bayshore, but hopes to be in Sudbury on Monday night for Game 4.

Owen Sound assistant coach Jordan Hill said Saturday night was a great team win and having Gadjovich back in the lineup was a big plus for the team.

``Obviously guys are familiar playing with each other and his line with (Nick) Suzuki and (Hancock) are a big part of our team,`` said Hill. ``They get our team going and it trickles down to all four lines.``

With the win, Owen Sound improved to 10-5-0-2 on the season and remained second in the Midwest division.

Sudbury fell to 6-11-4-0 and sat fourth in the Central Division.

Owen Sound is back in action on Sunday in Sarnia for a 2:05 p.m. game.
Digger
Digger

Postby CHL Watcher on Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:19 pm

ah....the wonderful Daylon Groulx effect.

GET RID of him.

Not learning. No time for retraining.
CHL Watcher

Postby hockeyhockeyhockey on Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:37 pm

3 goals on 7 shots. I'll advised penalties. Untimely turnovers.
The theme continues.
First priority goaltender.
Second discipline .
Getting old fast, win one lose one.

Frustrating. This team is better than it plays.
Nor in the same league as Kitchener, Erie, London, Windsor, SSM.
So much for a deep playoff run .

Unless something gives, prepare yourself for lengthy mid pack team.

2011 OHL Champions
hockeyhockeyhockey

Postby Noofgoof on Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:07 pm

This is disturbing this team needs a shake up in a bad way.. what an embarrassing game today When is Degray going to give in and end the Bowman experiment I know its not all his fault but he has done nothing to prove he should be here.. if this team was a bottom feeder then sure why not but not when the team is expected to compete.
Noofgoof

Postby cubby01 on Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:23 pm

Attack were in this early but could not get the PP going. A few quick goals by the Sting in the second and they pack it in. Last year I thought the Sting were a soft team mentally but I think maybe the tables have turned. Time for a shakeup. Goaltending, OAs and some discipline needed ASAP.
cubby01

Next

Return to Electric Ice Forum