Important weekend

A forum for all fans of the Owen Sound Attack of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Digger, waudby

Re: Important weekend

Postby BearStrike on Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:42 pm

My hope is ownership wont stand for it. But i am not sure if they have a history of stepping in, or even the stomach to do so.

GM DD shoulders all the blame here. He has taken the kudos when his management has brought him success, now he must own this mess we now find ourselves in.

My second hope is that DD would correct his mistakes. We need to move on from TG, period. Our net minding looks to be nearly impossible with time running out. With all the time in the world DD lands are current #1 goaltender. Now with no time and DESPERATE written on his caller id, we will pay through nose if in fact something is available. DD has missed out on the few that have been available the past 6 weeks. I am not sure there is a winnable deal out there to be had anymore.

1) Coach TG should never ever have been hired. To Major Jr A hockey junkies this is extremely obvious.
2) Goalie. How we ever got to the point of where we are now is alarming.

The above 2 points are glaring miscalculations and to be honest I have struggled to rank what needs attention most.

The OS Attack are regressing with every single week (sure we can look good against weak teams, but never dominating). There is zero team systems being played, with no personalty. We all see the lack of discipline. We all watched the child like pissing match scrap on Saturday night (fight when you have too). This would have never happened last year. No development happening here folks, and that in itself is going to hurt like crazy. This team has too many returning players to be playing like this. The list below IMO shows Palmu as a player we miss from the skaters with James coming in 2nd, but we were a well oiled machine before James arrived. So how the heck we go from that to this as a team HAS to reflect the coaching staff..........or perhaps the drinking water.

Lost Centerame = Gained Lyle and Durzi has picked it up.
Lost McNiven = Words cannot express. But we had ample opportunity and the resources to be much better here. Especially with the returning lineup
Lost Palmu = Miss him. We have not replaced his talent
Lost Schmaltz = He stepped up in playoffs but didn't get much in regular season
Lost James = Trade dead line pick up. We were very good before he came, even better after he arrived. Slowed down in playoffs but i would say we miss him.

**NOTE If this is a sinking ship which certainly smells like it, DD should do what most GM's do but he never does. Sell his non returning assets to restart the cycle of rebuilding.

BearStrike
BearStrike

Postby hockeyhockeyhockey on Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:24 pm

A disturbing thing is the Attack have never had more STH.
They are witnessing the unravelling of a very good team .

They were expecting a club that consensus was a contender for the championship.
Gill was handed a team full of skill.

This mess must be cleaned up before it is irretrievable.

If we can see it so can these in the hot seat.
your Owen Sound Attack...

2011 OHL Champions
2011 Western Conference Champions
2011 Mid-West Division Regular Season Champions
2011 OHL Memorial Cup Participant
hockeyhockeyhockey

Postby hllywd99 on Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:13 pm

The goaltending situation is getting worse as the season wears on, it is really at an embarrassing level right now.
........."FRACKEN A BABY! FRACKEN A!".............

......Andrew Shaw @ 11:09 pm 06/24/2013.......

.....TD Gardens in Boston, Mass.....
hllywd99

Postby Digger on Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:20 pm

here is the video of that ugly display put on in sarnia today

http://ontariohockeyleague.com/video/no ... ar-0-sar-7
Digger
Digger

Postby hllywd99 on Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:22 pm

CHL Watcher wrote:If anyone has video of that fight they should upload it. It was epic. Very old-school.

Fighting might be on the outs, but that one deserves to be in a highlight compilation if you're talking about that game. Any highlight reel that doesn't have it is "fake news" about the game. :lol:

Epic fight.

http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/138286

Decision to Pezzata,first time I have seen Friend get bettered and battered.

hllywd99

Postby CHL Watcher on Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:38 am

If they have to blow up the team because they couldn't find a goaltender or a coach I'm going to be ticked off.

If they don't blow up the team even though they couldn't find a goaltender or a coach I'm going to be both ticked off and more than a little bit surprised.

So...yes....I agree with Bearstrike that the coach is proving he doesn't see the obvious.

Groulx is out-of-control, btw. A temper tantrum on skates who can't seem to settle down. He killed their momentum dead as a door nail with his stupidity at a time when the Attack had put Sarnia under siege to start the game. He got away with a blindside hit or he would have done even more damage later on. Probation over. Hit the road.
CHL Watcher

Postby stevey on Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:56 am

I to agree with BearStrike. I have to admit I saw this coming when we lost McGill but I was hoping it would be kinda like the old Chicago Bulls with Pippen and Jordan. I could have coached that team. If we had an A+ Goalie maybe? The lack of discipline and apparent lack of systems is coaching. Unfortunatly I don't see a new coach in our future. I guess all we can hope for is a tender and the boy's deciding to do this for themselves.
stevey

Postby attackisback on Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:57 am

the sky is falling the sky is falling
attackisback

Postby hockeyhockeyhockey on Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:45 pm

stevey wrote:I to agree with BearStrike. I have to admit I saw this coming when we lost McGill but I was hoping it would be kinda like the old Chicago Bulls with Pippen and Jordan. I could have coached that team. If we had an A+ Goalie maybe? The lack of discipline and apparent lack of systems is coaching. Unfortunatly I don't see a new coach in our future. I guess all we can hope for is a tender and the boy's deciding to do this for themselves.

I too was hoping for a continuation of last year, despite losing three key guys.

This years edition is lacking a lot more than a top goalie.

The last two weekends , they've suffered blowouts to western teams. Last week, Gill responded, the team was terrible in all areas of the game.
I suppose he could repeat it this weekend as well.

2011 OHL Champions
hockeyhockeyhockey

Postby hllywd99 on Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:13 pm

Sarnia Observer

The Sarnia Sting looked like their old selves Sunday.

They snapped their three-game losing streak by outplaying the Owen Sound Attack almost from start to finish in a 7-0 win in front of 2,774 fans at Progressive Auto Sales Arena.

“We came out to skate and they didn’t,” said Sting forward Curtis Egert, who scored his first career OHL goal. “They didn’t look like they wanted the puck and we did, for sure, so it was great to see we can just step over them like that.” :oops:

OHL scoring leader Jordan Kyrou had two goals as the Sting moved back into first place in the overall standings.

They’d fallen one point behind the Soo Greyhounds, who beat the Flint Firebirds 8-2 on Saturday.

The Sting keep the standings posted in their locker-room.

“It’s right outside the coaches’ office and every day they come in there’s always a group of them huddled around that board looking at it,” Sting head coach Derian Hatcher said. “They like being there (in first place) and I’m sure they saw it walking in this morning. I guess now we’re back up there.”

Justin Fazio made 39 saves for his first shutout of the season and fifth of his career.

“He played great tonight,” Hatcher said. “He made the stops he had to make. It’s kind of funny. I know they had a lot of shots, but I thought there’s been games with less shots he’s had to make a lot more great saves. But he was solid tonight and he did everything we wanted him to do.”

Anthony Salinitri, Adam Ruzicka, Ryan McGregor and Jordan Ernst also scored as the Sting matched their largest margin of victory this season.

Hugo Leufvenius had three assists, while Ruzicka and Drake Rymsha had two apiece.

“We’ve got a full, deep (lineup),” Egert said. “It’s great to see that any line can score and that’s what gives our team an advantage.”

The Sting have earned points in back-to-back games. They lost to the Greyhounds 4-3 in overtime Friday after dropping two in a row the previous weekend.

“They worked hard in practice this week,” Hatcher said. “I thought Friday we played a pretty good game and I thought tonight we played a real good game as well. A great bounceback weekend.”

The Sting led 1-0 after the first period on Kyrou's goal with a two-man advantage, but they weren't satisfied with their performance.

They seized control in the second period with four goals, including markers by Salinitri and Kyrou in the opening six minutes.

“My hat’s off to the guys, honestly,” Hatcher said. “… They weren’t happy and they knew we had to get better in that second period. We were up, but let’s really get going here.

“The same thing about the third period. They came out in the third period wanting that next goal, and that’s credit to them.”

Egert scored his first goal in 19 career games for a 4-0 lead at 14:47. He took off on a two-on-one rush with Brayden Guy after an Attack defenceman fell at the Sting blue-line and fired a shot just under the crossbar.

“Pretty good for a first OHL goal,” Egert said.

He was aiming for that milestone goal all the way.

“Right from the second I got the puck I was going to shoot it,” Egert said. “There was no chance (of a pass). Blinders were on.”

Ruzicka scored later in the second. McGregor and Ernst added goals in the third.

“The idea is trying to get scoring all around,” Hatcher said. “Try to get all four lines going when we can and get everyone chipping in. I think any hockey team that can do that, they’re going to have success.”

Attack starting goalie Zack Bowman was lifted after allowing five goals on 20 shots in two periods. Mack Guzda stopped 10 of 12 shots in the third.

The Sting went 2-for-8 with a man advantage while holding the Attack scoreless on seven power plays.
:shock:
The Sting will visit the Firebirds for an 11 a.m. game Wednesday. They'll come home to play the Memorial Cup champion Windsor Spitfires at 7:05 p.m. Friday and then travel to Guelph for a Sunday matinee.

hllywd99

Postby hockeyhockeyhockey on Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:59 pm

That Stings !

2011 OHL Champions
hockeyhockeyhockey

Postby Digger on Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:58 pm

hockeyhockeyhockey wrote:That Stings !

Good one :lol:
Digger
Digger

Postby Digger on Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:29 pm

It's only natural the coach will take the heat when a team performs badly. The fans were all pumped before the season started with experts indicating the Attack were expected to be a top team.

As a fan I am disappointed with the record to date and expected more even without knowing who the goalie would be figuring that would have been resolved.

Losing 7-0 there is no excuse that can be accepted, you just got to forget it and try and get better.

Scoring goals is not the problem even though the 4th and 3rd lines do very little scoring. They have scored the 4th most goals in the league but 12 teams have allowed less goals against than the Attack a big difference from last years team.

It's obvious preventing goals being scored on them is the problem and that is not helped with weak goaltending.

I believe the defense is playing up too much when they should be dopping back preventing odd man rushes. The goals will come naturally if they play defense first.

Penalty killing last year was 3rd best last year, is the area they miss McNiven the most?

The PP was the best in the league last year, is that where they miss Palmu the most?

The OA's last year were pretty darn good compared to the 3 this year. Go look at their stats and compare them to this years version.

Those 3 all had a positive impact on the special teams last year.

While the Attack have some older players not scoring they have players who are doing better than they did last year which happens with age but that group cannot make the difference alone.

While I am not sold on Gill as a head coach I don't believe he has the same quality of players that McGill had last year.
Digger
Digger

Postby hockeyhockeyhockey on Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:35 pm

The Wolves got guys behind the Attack blueline all night long .
There was no adjustments made as the game wore on .

2011 OHL Champions
hockeyhockeyhockey

Postby CHL Watcher on Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:48 am

It's a pretty bleak picture we're all painting.

....and I think it's a realistic paint job.

Even with McNiven....multiple breakaways and odd-man rushes as well as always leading the penalty parade would kill any chance of success. McNiven would make them better....but not good enough.

That's a deep issue. The coach has shown us...nothing.

That's too bad....because that won't be tweaked....no matter what happens.

Players get chewed up in this situation....teams get destroyed.
CHL Watcher

Previous

Return to Electric Ice Forum