Western Conference keeps getting tougher

A forum for all fans of the Owen Sound Attack of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Digger, waudby

Western Conference keeps getting tougher

Postby stevey on Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:11 pm

The western conference just got a little tougher the L.A Kings are sending Gabe Vilardi back to the Spit's
stevey

Re: Western Conference keeps getting tougher

Postby hockeyhockeyhockey on Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:50 pm

He's injured. Won't be reassessed for 2 weeks.
Smerek was returned to Flint today
your Owen Sound Attack...

2011 OHL Champions
2011 Western Conference Champions
2011 Mid-West Division Regular Season Champions
2011 OHL Memorial Cup Participant
hockeyhockeyhockey

Postby stevey on Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:55 am

But he should be back making a tough team tougher. I don't see Smereck helping Flint enough but if he ends up somewhere else in the west my point is proven.
stevey

Postby CHL Watcher on Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:54 am

stevey wrote:But he should be back making a tough team tougher. I don't see Smereck helping Flint enough but if he ends up somewhere else in the west my point is proven.

I think you mean, "I can't see Smereck helping Flint enough to make them into a contender." I think it's all relative. He could make the difference between playoffs or no playoffs. It all depends what a team is after.

I remember when Owen Sound made moves or avoided making moves just to get into a playoff series or an extra one. Nobody needs to think the team will go all the way, but trades are still made to improve the length of playoff run and thus increase the odds of an upset and get some cash in the bank and experience for the younger players.

Only a short list of teams are thinking championship.....but some big trades will still happen with the others...or not....depending on their needs.

I don't think OS needs any defensemen, but I'll accept that some people think they do. Smereck might be a good add.....but I would rather we add a star goaltender. Last game was a good example of the difference it makes when a goaltender hits the magic .900. The whole team looks better. I saw evidence of confidence last game. There was a different feeling and it built up all game because the puck wasn't in the Attack net. In the third it evaporated quickly....but again, in the end, Guzda held up his end of things and they left the ice with the win. That's what they need a lot more often.

A defenseman or forward is a tweak. A good goalie is a whole new team.
CHL Watcher

Postby stevey on Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:08 am

That is what I meant Watcher. Iwould like an experienced Tender and a big power forward that can put the puck in the net and be a pysical force.He could even be an import if that happened to be the case.
stevey

Postby CHL Watcher on Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:35 am

That seems like the perfect formula. To make it happen the Attack should package an OA and a rookie with whatever picks they need to add to the deal in order to make it happen.

Gadjo gets help, the goal gets tended, the penalty minutes drop by a quarter, all in one move.

Then you can tweak.

As far as I am concerned there are two open OA spots, a goaltending position, and an import position open. They won't go far without filling those holes. So, any decent sized import or OA who can stay out of the box in at least an average way, any goaltender with a .900+ history is what they need to absolutely turn things around.

Let's say you trade two of the worst offenders when it comes to putting the team down a man and add a goaltender and a player who takes penalties at an average rate (Like Hancock)....
Suddenly the Attack are the least penalized team in the league. Just...like...that.

If you do the math it is 100% true.

How much different is this team without two players, but with one good forward replacement, a goaltender who can stop the puck consistantly, and the league's lowest penalty minutes?

I think it would look a lot more like what was expected.

I thought Coach Gill would have a better clue about the make-up of the success that's been happening here. I thought he would have a better clue about the changes the league has undergone since he last coached here. I thought he would combine that knowledge with a backbone and do things right. None of that happened.....so in the end....we really don't know if fixing anything will actually fix anything. I think this coach secretly likes the type of player that spends half his career in the box. I think he's defending his own product. I see no proof of anything that would change my mind about that.

But I do believe DD can manage the tools that the coach is using to his disadvantage....and perhaps things can be better.
Last edited by CHL Watcher on Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
CHL Watcher

Postby attackisback on Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:43 am

seems way to easy. theres a reason Degray hasnt pulled off amove like that yet. most likely doesnt want to sell the farm. Owen Sound needs to make the playoffs every year to 1. apease fans, and keep season ticket sales up 2. make a profit
attackisback

Postby CHL Watcher on Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:53 am

attackisback wrote:seems way to easy. theres a reason Degray hasnt pulled off amove like that yet. most likely doesnt want to sell the farm. Owen Sound needs to make the playoffs every year to 1. apease fans, and keep season ticket sales up 2. make a profit

Selling off Groulx and Szypula is not selling the farm. That's just silly and you know it.

Not doing it would be selling the farm.

Or are we a Montreal Expos style big league farm team? Is there financial gain in standing aside for others? Don't think I haven't noticed where certain players go when it suits them. Erie.....Windsor. Or perhaps you didn't notice?

I'm serious. Are they throwing the thing for financial gain? I'm asking you because you seem like the official poster on this board.....so you would know, wouldn't you?

Going for it next year would be a laughable excuse for standing aside this season.

Okay....so the truth of the matter for me is I do not think they would throw the year for any reason....so I've got no way of knowing where you are coming from with this sell the farm thing. I think they want to win as badly as any of us....and that means they have to come up with something. Trying to get another team to take our players is a bit of a trick......that's for sure.

I keep hearing things along the lines of.....we would have to give up a Struthers, Dudas, Russell package to get a Luchuk, Dipietro package.

Not Dudas.......not ever.
Struthers.....I do hope not. He's stalled out big time (kudos to someone else who caught that fact well before I did), but he is capable of handling his position fairly well....and has the potential of being an overage leader some day in the future. I like his play.
Russell....looks like you would be hard-pressed to consider as more than a 2nd or 3rd rounder. Won't fetch much at this rate. I feel for the kid, because he's not alone in the slow start/stalled out situation.

Don't sell the future for a "maybe". Find a team that wants to add an OA and a rookie with "grit" :lol: and then add a few picks to sweeten the deal...before running for the door.

...and don't gloat over the other GM's misfortune. Pretend you had no idea....and try to keep a straight face.

You can recoup the picks next year rather easily. You won't miss the rest.
CHL Watcher

Return to Electric Ice Forum