Coach, read the score sheet they list the penalties

A forum for all fans of the Owen Sound Attack of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Digger, waudby

Coach, read the score sheet they list the penalties

Postby cooter on Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:15 am

You don't have to bench the whole team.

Why are fans talking about adding players to correct the lack of systems and preparedness?
There is never a right way to do the wrong thing.
cooter

Re: Coach, read the score sheet they list the penalties

Postby CHL Watcher on Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:59 pm

True....coach is spreading the blame around trying to be diplomatic.....when in reality it's 3 or 4 players that need to be straightened out (and I'm also being diplomatic). Everyone takes bad penalties, but a few take them almost every game. Check the stat sheet.....it's pretty clear.

Here's a stat the league should employ if they want clean hockey.... How many goals have been scored and how many shots have been taken on your own goalie and team while you sat in the box. Make it personal.

BTW....I'm no saint....and I'm fine with colourful language.....but I'm weary of that F-Bomb being screamed out by a particular Attack player whenever he's been misunderstood. There are kids around.

I'd send him packing for it.
CHL Watcher

Postby Pitou on Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:14 am

I wrote this post (below) in the Guelph game thread before noticing this thread . My comments are more suited to this thread and reflects what is being said here, before I even read this thread. So I copied it over here for relevancy.

Gill's comment is a cop out. Every player take's a bad penalties at times. Benching isolated infractions is not what is being asked or expected. Why as a casual fan am I able to see the few chronic offenders that need a message sent. Groulx is leading the team in PIM's by a margin at 43 minutes, with a whopping 4 points to contribute. Friendly is next but he can be given some slack as he has the job of defending and provides enforcement back there, but he still has room to clean up some unnecessary penalties. Szippy in next in the PIM's ranking. Again a minimal contributing forward, an O/A no less. Let's start with a strong message with Groulx and Szypula. Might even be addition by subtraction. Expand from there if the message is not being received.

Edit: How does Groulx rank overall? He is currently 3 highest in the league in PIM,s among forwards. Both players above him have more GP than him. One has 2 games more the other 6 more. The leading forward in PIM's also has 31 points, the other 11.
Pitou

Postby stevey on Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:39 am

ATTENTION Coach Gill. Do you call what we have now a strong lineup ? Look at today's standings we are 5 pts from being 9th in the conference and out of the playoffs. Now anyone who says it's to early and there is still time to make up ground you are right but everyone else is making up that ground right now and we are falling in a hole that I don't think we can climb out. If we keep the status quo our only hope for playoffs is if Erie sells a couple guy's and that may not happen as everyone is so close they have a good chance of playoff revenue. We need to upgrade at least 2 O/A spots that would fix one discipline problem. We also need a big body up front with some hockey sense Gadjovich can't be expected to carry this team by himself. I could go on but lets fix the obvious problems first and quick as the clock is ticking.
stevey

Postby attackisback on Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:58 pm

the coach isnt going anywhere. theres some players who shouldnt be here.
attackisback

Postby stevey on Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:55 pm

I didn't mean the coach when I referred to fixing the problems. I meant discipline we need better O/A's and we need a legitimate starter. If Gill had last years O/A's and goalie we wouldn't be having this conversation.
stevey

Postby CHL Watcher on Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:37 pm

I disagree with that last statement.

The discipline problem would still be here....and you go nowhere in the playoffs with this kind of discipline. Absolutely nowhere. I can't believe the coach hasn't reigned it in. It's completely out of hand for this team.....and the bulk of it is unnecessary, foolish, hot-headed garbage. I don't want to hear that it's a result of "hard work" or "passion" or any of that baloney. If you're trying too hard out there I'd just prefer you were not out there.

Nope, they'd still have a major discipline problem. I bet it would be worse.
CHL Watcher

Postby cooter on Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:49 am

Why can't we replace the coach?
Because any GOOD coach is probably working, Gill is just like the coach down the line in Ktown,ask them how much they like his job.
Not a good hire DD.
cooter

Postby attackisback on Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:48 am

they signed him to a 3 year deal, the attack cant afford to just fire him and pay him and a new coach for another 2 years like london, kitchener, ect ect thats why they wont.

How many coaches in the OHL have been fired this far into the season over the last couple of years? it doesnt happen

whens the last attack coach to get fired? It was in the Plater days

1999–2000 D. Siciliano, Brian O'Leary
2000–01 Brian O'Leary
2001–02 Frank Carnevale
2002–07 Mike Stothers (4)
2007–11 Mark Reeds (4)
2011–15 Greg Ireland (4)
2015–2017 Ryan McGill (2)
2017-? Todd Gill
attackisback

Postby CHL Watcher on Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:09 am

They can't afford to fire the coach....and they won't be able to afford to keep him. Nice situation. I know....it happens to the best of them.

Going from the expected league champion to an afterthought in the mind of most OHL fans is a drop that gets coaches fired. The Attack can't afford to fire a coach. Not a good place to be.

I'm not debating the handicap exists. That means you have to really nail your coaching hires. I don't think that's what has taken place.

But....if the coach can't stomach discipline....then DD can remove the undisciplined players for him. Good luck turning Suzuki, Durzi, Hancock, Gadjovich, Dudas, etc into a goon squad. Have fun with that.

One suggestion that I do like is an Alan Letang coached team. There are many reasons for this, so I won't list them. If it doesn't work you're stuck with it....so hold that thought for a bit, but keep that thought in mind. It's virtually cost-free. He doesn't seem like a disciplinarian by any stretch, but he knows a bit about what made up the success from last year. Just a thought. Not trying to cause infighting amongst coaches, but the topic does come up....so I don't mind repeating it.

But the bottom line is.....get a goaltender and take control of the selfish players or even better yet, find a good goon squad where they will fit in and trade them to their 'happy place' in return for a basket of quality pucks.

When Suzuki says they lost because of penalties you can see a divide forming. You are hearing it from the cleanest playing 1st round NHL pick you're likely to see. Do not go any further with this divide. End it now. There are two mindsets on this team.....one is playing the way they did last year and the other is adapting to the new 'coaching style'. The former is correct....and means the situation is salvageable......while the latter is a complete bust.

I did not think Gill would be weak.....not at all. I'm a bit stunned by his apparent weakness when dealing with this. I had him pegged as a take charge type......but I didn't track his past coaching, so I was flying blind on that assumption.
CHL Watcher

Postby stevey on Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:14 pm

Watcher I see what you are saying. I think if we had those guy's are pk would be better and the guy's taking the penalties might take less,although one is in his 5th year and is still taking them.
stevey

Postby cooter on Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:39 pm

A report on Gill from his days in Kingston.

Gill is a good coach but needs to have the team on the same page which yes I know is pretty topical point that all coaches say when coming into a new club but you have to look past the point and see what he's actually saying.

Which is clearly pointed out in how he runs the lines he lives and dies by his 1st line in games if the first line is intact then the team complements every other line as a complete group. However if you change that first line around then the whole house of cards so to speak falls apart quiet easily.

This year has shown it on 3 occasions this far when Gadjovich was out with injury the team took a step back, when Hancock got hurt the team took a step back and when Suzuki was away for personal reasons the team took a step back.

Bringing me to my point Gill relies heavily on the top line and when it's not there the team becomes a house of cards when it changes.
cooter

Return to Electric Ice Forum