Game 25/68 Rangers @ Attack Nov 29,2017- 7 pm

A forum for all fans of the Owen Sound Attack of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Digger, waudby

Re: Game 25/68 Rangers @ Attack Nov 29,2017- 7 pm

Postby Pitou on Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:25 pm

stevey wrote:I'm sorry to say this but unless we have a top notch goalie it won't be the answer. We ran out of gas again we have 5-6 guy's in shape 3 of them play on the same line they ran out of gas and couldn't catch up with the puck late in the game and not to beat a dead horse but stay out of the( insert foul language here) penalty box.

Top Notch? Middle of the road is a huge improvement. Let's start with that. In a 20 team league, you have to get to #38 in ranking of save percentage before seeing any Attack goalie. And that's alumni Bowman. It's #40 and #49 from there. Think about that. I know not exactly accurate, but by strict number ratio, that represents a starter and one back up from each of the other 19 teams better than any Attack goalie. How can that not affect the morale of a team?
Pitou

Postby hockeyfan99 on Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:55 pm

Scoring changes happen in the OHL, we have to remember that these are just kids playing hockey. Goalies need to come up with some big saves every once in a while to help their team, and I do not recall one save from Daniels that you would call "tough" or "game-saving." Any chances he had to make that big save ended up in their net, and this has been the same song all season.

Fred had a tweet today saying the Attack have outshot their opposition in every game but 2. in those two games they are 1-1. I know shots on goal are not completely indicative of game flow, but the point is pretty clear. Middle of the road goaltending gets this team in a far better place.

I don't usually bash the coaches in public forums but there was 2 incidents the past 2 games that i wanted to point out. The first was from Saturday's game, down 2 goals with the PP, just over 2 minutes left with faceoff in Guelph's zone. Why was the goalie not pulled there? Daniels kept looking at the bench thinking he would be called but never was. You are down 2 goals with 2 minutes left with faceoff in their zone... what better situation do you need? They ended up not getting the goalie out until less than a minute left. Just looked like someone was sleeping there.

Secondly, why was Daniels not pulled? after the 3rd and 4th goals you could just see his shoulders and confidence slouch. Kitchener pulled the trigger on a goalie change, and I think it should have happened with OS too.
hockeyfan99

Postby attackisback on Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:00 pm

if guzda wasnt 16 im sure they would make the change
attackisback

Postby attackisback on Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:08 pm

surprised noone has made a fuss about the hit on dudas. No penalty because of the goal but was a blindside, head shot elbow? will the attack send in for review?
attackisback

Postby Pitou on Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:01 pm

attackisback wrote:if guzda wasnt 16 im sure they would make the change

Then clearly that's a big problem if there is no confidence or viable Plan "B" when your goalie is struggling. On the 3rd Rangers goal, I think it was a Mascherin PP goal, Daniels looked around the short side of the screen and in doing so got himself so far out of position, he virtually left the far side of the net wide open. It was routine pickings for any player, never mind Mascherin.
Pitou

Postby hockeyfan99 on Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:08 pm

This cannot be the reason as teams have young goalies who are backups every year, and that is a game where you use that backup if your starter lets in a few stinkers. Might as well send him away if you aren't putting him in that game.
hockeyfan99

Postby hockeyhockeyhockey on Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:30 pm

It's gotten to the point we are pushing rope uphill.
your Owen Sound Attack...

2011 OHL Champions
2011 Western Conference Champions
2011 Mid-West Division Regular Season Champions
2011 OHL Memorial Cup Participant
hockeyhockeyhockey

Postby stevey on Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:49 pm

You are right Pitou middle of the road would be an improvement,but not good enough. With the way the team is in front of him we need a Di Pietro to have a chance of competing with the big dogs. Forget about the goaltending and watch the rest of the team. We have 1 line that is a threat and after that absolutely nothing except needless P.I.M's.Unfortunately we would spend whatever picks it takes,which we are thin on,to get an average goalie and still lose.We are probably stuck with what we have. To be competitive we need goaltending,an impact import and 3 quality O/A's. Just my opinion but look at past history top teams ALWAY'S have 3 quality O/A's
stevey

Postby BearStrike on Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:58 pm

I feel incredibly awful for everybody involved.
Players, GM, coaches (staff), ownership, and families.
I am only a fan, and my investments (cash, time and passions), are fairly limited when in comparison to the above. But I have to say, I am exhausted over this. Too often I find myself not wanting to go to the games. More I think about this, it’s because I don’t see anything changing.
• If coach TG new systems then the team would be showing it, and they don’t.
• Goaltending is probably getting worse. What a pressure cooker that must be.
• Discipline is getting worse and for that, calls don’t seem to be going our way (for the record TG Kingston teams were highly penalized)
• The kid’s shoulders are starting to slouch

At this point in the season there are far too many wildcards (coach-discipline-depth-goal), with close to zero time on the clock to roll the dice on an upgrade in goal. It just gets too expensive. It more than likely sets us back a few years. You have to sell.

But that leaves the team in another vulnerable position. Can Todd Gill still coach? Can he develop hockey players at this level? Because if he can’t, now what? Todd Gill will never have this type of talent at his disposal in Owen Sound again. Good luck convincing agents, parents, hockey players let alone skilled players to report here. Everybody in the hockey world knows SUDDENLY something stinks in a large way up in Owen Sound. How do you work that damage control?

DD is prideful man. Ownership is about the only tool that will force a change of something.

Bearstrike
BearStrike

Postby hllywd99 on Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:07 pm

attackisback wrote:surprised noone has made a fuss about the hit on dudas. No penalty because of the goal but was a blindside, head shot elbow? will the attack send in for review?

Shoulder to chest, it was text book clean.
........."FRACKEN A BABY! FRACKEN A!".............

......Andrew Shaw @ 11:09 pm 06/24/2013.......

.....TD Gardens in Boston, Mass.....
hllywd99

Postby Digger on Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:47 pm

Attack lean on Dutchies goalie in tough times
SPORTS 05:09 PM by Josh Brown Waterloo Region Record
Daniels returns to town
Riley Daniels started the season with the Kitchener Dutchmen but is trying to make the most of his call-up to the Owen Sound Attack. - Terry Wilson,OHL Images
KITCHENER — It has been a crease carousel in Owen Sound this season.

And the Attack is still searching for a go-to goalie with the Ontario Hockey League holiday break in sight.

To help, the team has turned to Kitchener Dutchmen keeper Riley Daniels.

The 18-year-old has spent parts of the past two seasons with the Dutchies before joining the Attack late last month.

"It's pretty exciting," he said. "This is obviously the level I want to play at."

Riley will make his return to Kitchener Friday when the Attack takes on the Rangers at the Aud at 7:30 p.m. It's the tail end of a home-and-home series that saw the Blueshirts rally to best their Midwest Division foes, 5-4, on Wednesday.

Owen Sound held out hope that last season's main man in net would return for an overage campaign but that wish disappeared when Montreal Canadiens prospect Michael McNiven was assigned to the Brampton Beast in the East Coast Hockey League instead.

To fill the gap, the team acquired goalie Zack Bowman from the Sudbury Wolves along with forward Alan Lyszczarczyk for three high draft picks in the off-season.

But Bowman bolted from the team for personal reasons about a week ago leaving 16-year-old rookie Mack Guzda as the sole guardian in between the pipes.

That's when Daniels got the call.

"The Dutchies are a great organization and they really helped me out with my game and that helped me get to Owen Sound," he said. "Now I'm here and trying to take the opportunity and run with it."

It has been a tough start for the 2015 third-round draft pick.

Daniels took the loss in relief during his season debut before dropping his next two starts. He was in net this past Wednesday when the Rangers overcame a two-goal third-period deficit to win at the Harry Lumley Bayshore Community Centre.

It's the Beamsville native's second go-round with the club after going 3-2 during a brief stint last season.

"I'm not taking anything for granted," he said. "I feel I have to prove myself even more than I have. I have a little bit of a chip on my shoulder."

Owen Sound was pegged as a pre-season favourite in the OHL's Western Conference but is 13-10-0-2 and has dropped five of its past eight games.

The team got off to a slow start last season too before going on a deadly 22-1-0-1 run beginning in December.

Daniels feels confident the Attack can turn things around.

"This team has lots of potential," he said. "There is a lot of skill here and I think everything is just about to click. The group is strong and the leadership is great. It's just a matter of time now."

And the keeper is hoping that pivot starts Friday at the Aud.

"When I was down with the Dutchies I went to one or two Rangers games," he said. "I'd sit up in the stands and think that it could be me on the ice one day and now it can."

jbrown@therecord.com ,
Digger
Digger

Postby CHL Watcher on Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:04 am

BearStrike wrote:I feel incredibly awful for everybody involved.
Players, GM, coaches (staff), ownership, and families.
I am only a fan, and my investments (cash, time and passions), are fairly limited when in comparison to the above. But I have to say, I am exhausted over this. Too often I find myself not wanting to go to the games. More I think about this, it’s because I don’t see anything changing.
• If coach TG new systems then the team would be showing it, and they don’t.
• Goaltending is probably getting worse. What a pressure cooker that must be.
• Discipline is getting worse and for that, calls don’t seem to be going our way (for the record TG Kingston teams were highly penalized)
• The kid’s shoulders are starting to slouch

At this point in the season there are far too many wildcards (coach-discipline-depth-goal), with close to zero time on the clock to roll the dice on an upgrade in goal. It just gets too expensive. It more than likely sets us back a few years. You have to sell.

But that leaves the team in another vulnerable position. Can Todd Gill still coach? Can he develop hockey players at this level? Because if he can’t, now what? Todd Gill will never have this type of talent at his disposal in Owen Sound again. Good luck convincing agents, parents, hockey players let alone skilled players to report here. Everybody in the hockey world knows SUDDENLY something stinks in a large way up in Owen Sound. How do you work that damage control?

DD is prideful man. Ownership is about the only tool that will force a change of something.

Bearstrike

Everything you said....sounds true enough to me.

Here's a real problem (even if it's a good thing) that's coming down the pipe for Attack fans...

Suzuki - Team Canada? Tryout?
Gadjovich - Team Canada? Tryout?

Maybe even Durzi?

No matter how it turns out the Attack could be without their entire top line for a time....and maybe almost to the deadline.

Where does that leave any wiggle room?

This could get really, really ugly.
CHL Watcher

Postby hockeyfan99 on Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:08 am

Lazer will be leaving for the B side of the World Junior, which is earlier than the Main group.... and Sushko could potentially captain Team Belarus.

could be lean, lean times for end of Dec.
hockeyfan99

Postby CHL Watcher on Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:16 am

hockeyfan99 wrote:Lazer will be leaving for the B side of the World Junior, which is earlier than the Main group.... and Sushko could potentially captain Team Belarus.

could be lean, lean times for end of Dec.

Good point. I wasn't even thinking about those two. For sure, they're both gone.

Dudas will be fairly busy. :lol:
CHL Watcher

Postby hockeyhockeyhockey on Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:03 pm

Isn't there an under 18 tourney at Christmas that Dudas could play in ?
:)
your Owen Sound Attack...

2011 OHL Champions
2011 Western Conference Champions
2011 Mid-West Division Regular Season Champions
2011 OHL Memorial Cup Participant
hockeyhockeyhockey

PreviousNext

Return to Electric Ice Forum