Game 26/68 Attack @ Rangers Dec 1,2017 7:30 PM

A forum for all fans of the Owen Sound Attack of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Digger, waudby

Game 26/68 Attack @ Rangers Dec 1,2017 7:30 PM

Postby attackisback on Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:17 pm

VIA ATTACKHOCKEY.COM

http://attackhockey.com/article/attack- ... nal-rivals

DECEMBER 1, 2017
Attack out for revenge over divisional rivals

Having dropped three straight games to divisional opponents, the Owen Sound Attack will look to get back in the win column and dish out some revenge at the same time this weekend.

Playing the 2nd half of a home and home with the Kitchener Rangers, Owen Sound rolls into the Aud in search of a bounce back game after losing 5-4 to the Rangers at the Bayshore on Wednesday night.

A 7:30pm puck drop that can be listened to live on Kia of Owen Sound/Terry’s Trailer Service Bear Radio or watched on Rogers Local 53, Friday night’s game is the 5th meeting of the year between the Midwest Division’s 1st and 2nd place teams – and also marks Owen Sound’s final trip to Kitchener in the 2017-18 season.

Boasting a 16-9-2-0 mark, Kitchener’s 34 points are good for 2nd in the Western Conference, six up on Owen Sound who is sitting at 13-10-0-2 on the year.

Continuing to lead the Attack in scoring is Nick Suzuki, who picked up a shorthanded goal on Wednesday night against the Rangers to give him 17 tallies and 42 total points on the year.

Adam Mascherin still paces the Rangers, and is sitting at 29 points through 27 games on the year and was good for a pair of goals on Wednesday night in Kitchener’s come from behind win at the Bayshore.
Last edited by attackisback on Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
attackisback

Re: Game 28/68 Attack @ Rangers Dec 1,2017 7:30 PM

Postby stevey on Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:50 pm

I hate to say MUST WIN this early in the season but bottom line they must win these next to games or start the fire sale. If they drop to 9th this weekend then as pointed out in another thread have to ice a JR C team during World Jr's this season will be a wash.
stevey

Postby attackisback on Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:37 pm

No Suzuki.Guzda in net.
attackisback

Postby hockeyhockeyhockey on Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:59 pm

Russell taking advantage of slotting into Nicks spot, his 1st OHL goal on 1st shot of the game !
your Owen Sound Attack...

2011 OHL Champions
2011 Western Conference Champions
2011 Mid-West Division Regular Season Champions
2011 OHL Memorial Cup Participant
hockeyhockeyhockey

Postby attackisback on Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:26 pm

Great clearing attempt in overtime
attackisback

Postby Digger on Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:07 am

Sorry but if McGill had the same quality of goaltending last year that team would not have done what it did and take away two of your top forwards to boot. Can't blame Gill for that.

The Attack blow another 2 goal lead in the 3rd period starting the comeback with another penalty in the 3rd.

It's becoming predictable like the Knights getting a PP late in the 3rd when they need a goal.
Digger
Digger

Postby hockeyhockeyhockey on Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:12 am

The Attack are playing .300 hockey since Bowman left.

The solution is so damned simple. The Attack stand THIRD IN THE ONTARIO HOCKEY LEAGUE in goals scored.

Why can't this be figured out ?
your Owen Sound Attack...

2011 OHL Champions
2011 Western Conference Champions
2011 Mid-West Division Regular Season Champions
2011 OHL Memorial Cup Participant
hockeyhockeyhockey

Postby Digger on Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:06 am

Rangers rally against Attack
Greg Cowan, Pincher Creek Echo
By Greg Cowan, Owen Sound Sun Times
Friday, December 1, 2017 10:27:59 EST PM

Attack collapse in third period

For the second time this week a two-goal third period lead vaporizes for the Owen Sound Attack in a 5-4 losing effort against the Kitchener Rangers.

The youth movement was in full effect for the Owen Sound Attack Friday night at the Kitchener Memorial Auditorium.

With Nick Suzuki out sick, and Kevin Hancock still hurt, the Attack suited up four centres all 17 and under. First-round pick Mitchell Russell, 16, featured on a line between veterans Jonah Gadjovich and Ethan Szypula.

It didn’t take long for Russell to get used to the spot. He scored his first Ontario Hockey League goal just over a minute into the game. The goal tied the game 1-1 as seconds earlier Kitchener’s Greg Meireles bounced a puck off Attack goaltender, 16-year-old Mack Guzda, to open the scoring.

At 6:18 in the first, Jonah Gadjovich would bury a feed from 17-year-old Aidan Dudas on the powerplay to give the Attack the lead, 2-1. The Rangers Kole Sherwood evened it up near the end of the period on the powerplay, the result of a too-many-men call.

Kitchener fired 18 shots at Guzda in the first. A slow defensive start for the Attack, a trend assistant coach Al Letang said needed to change following Wednesday night’s game.

“We’re not consistently ready to compete at the level we need to compete at to be successful in this league,” he said. “If we come ready to battle, we’ll be OK.”

An uneventful second period was shaken-up midway through when six foot seven and 240 pound Logan Stanley took a run at the Attacks’s five-foot-eight Chase Campbell eliciting a roar from the crowd. The roar was hushed seconds later by a goal from Owen Sound’s Maksim Sushko, his thirteenth of the season. Sean Durzi picked up his second assist of the game on the goal.

“It’s a nice tight-knit group,” said Durzi of the Attack before practice on Thursday. “Even talking with my friends on other OHL teams, they don’t have a tight-knit-group like we do.”

The tight-knit Attack would take a 3-2 lead into the third period and waste no time in padding it. It was the streaky Sushko who put a backhand shot past Rangers goalie Luke Richardson just seven seconds into the period.

With the Attack in penalty trouble midway through the third Kitchener’s Adam Mascherin would make them pay. Masherin’s powerplay goal was his third of the week against the Attack after scoring two on Wednesday and cut the Owen Sound lead back to one.

Minutes later, in a flashback to Wednesday night’s Attack collapse, the Rangers would erase a two-goal third period lead with Stanley’s blast from the point.

On this night however, Owen Sound was able to survive regulation with the score tied 4-4 before the Rangers completed the comeback in overtime.

Just like on Wednesday night, it was the Rangers’ Kole Sherwood with the game winner.

Sean Durzi and Aidan Dudas each had three assists in the game. It’s the fourth straight loss for the Owen Sound Attack who were leapfrogged by the Guelph Storm in the standings and now sit in third place in the Midwest division.

Kitchener’s Joseph Garreffa followed up Wednesday night’s four assist performance with four more helpers on Friday.

Guzda stopped 38 of 43 shots while Richardson got in front of 35 of the Attack’s 39.

Owen Sound now returns home to the Harry Lumley Bayshore Communtiy Centre for a game against Ryan Merkley and the Guelph Storm Saturday, puck drop is at 7:30 p.m.

gcowan@postmedia.com

Follow Greg on Twitter @GregCowanST

GAME SUMMARY

Owen Sound @ Kitchener (Friday, Dec. 1)

First Period - goals (assists), time

1.) Kitchener: Greg Meireles (unassisted) 0:43

2.) Owen Sound: Mitchell Russell (Jonah Gadjovich, Jacob Friend) 1:06

3.) Owen Sound: Jonah Gadjovich PP (Aidan Dudas, Sean Durzi) 6:18

4.) Kole Sherwood PP (Adam Mascherin, Joseph Garreffa) 16:07

Penalties: Riley Damiani KIT (holding) 5:25, Chase Campbell OS (charging) 13:33, bench minor, served by Marino Moro OS (too many men) 15:45

Second Period

5.) Owen Sound: Maksim Sushko (Aidan Dudas, Sean Durzi) 14:09

Penalties: Jackson Doherty OS (tripping) 10:58, Logan

Stanley KIT (roughing) 18:22

Third Period

6.) Owen Sound: Maksim Sushko (Sean Durzi, Aidan Dudas) 0:07

7.) Kitchener: Adam Mascherin PP (Jospeh Garreffa, Logan Stanley) 8:55

8.) Kitchener: Logan Stanley (Joseph Garreffa) 12:11

Penalties: Daylon Groulx OS (check to the head) 2:17, Alan Lyszczarczyk OS (holding) 7:14,

Overtime

9.) Kitchener: Kole Sherwood (Joseph Garreffa) 1:25

Shots By Period 1 2 3 OT TOT

Owen Sound 12 13 12 2 39

Kitchener 18 8 16 1 43

Power Plays: (goals/opportunities) Owen Sound (1/2); Kitchener (2/5).

Goaltenders: (saves/shots) Mack Guzda OS (38/43); Luke Richardson KIT (35/39).

Stars: 1.) Kole Sherwood KIT; 2.) Joseph Garreffa KIT ; 3.) Aidan Dudas OS
Digger
Digger

Postby stevey on Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:51 am

Digger wrote:Sorry but if McGill had the same quality of goaltending last year that team would not have done what it did and take away two of your top forwards to boot. Can't blame Gill for that.

The Attack blow another 2 goal lead in the 3rd period starting the comeback with another penalty in the 3rd.

It's becoming predictable like the Knights getting a PP late in the 3rd when they need a goal.

Digger I am kinda getting tired of blaming one position. I will agree with your comment on the Coach tho. I feel yes guzda had 2 that he should have had but he also made alot of big saves. I thought that may have been his best game yet. There is a reason 16 -17 yr olds aren't usually starters,CONSISTENCY. I am also concerned about our lack of secondary scoring we have a small # of guy's contributing. Our team defensive play is very inconsistent. We don't have good O/A's and we don't have a 2nd Import. Somehow a promising season is heading South quickly. P.S yes our goaltending is an issue but we seem to have a few issues.
stevey

Postby Digger on Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:31 am

stevey wrote:
Digger wrote:Sorry but if McGill had the same quality of goaltending last year that team would not have done what it did and take away two of your top forwards to boot. Can't blame Gill for that.

Digger I am kinda getting tired of blaming one position. I will agree with your comment on the Coach tho. I feel yes guzda had 2 that he should have had but he also made alot of big saves. I thought that may have been his best game yet. There is a reason 16 -17 yr olds aren't usually starters,CONSISTENCY. I am also concerned about our lack of secondary scoring we have a small # of guy's contributing. Our team defensive play is very inconsistent. We don't have good O/A's and we don't have a 2nd Import. Somehow a promising season is heading South quickly. P.S yes our goaltending is an issue but we seem to have a few issues.

Unfortunately the goaltender is always on the hot spot. It's such a key position. Yes he did make some good saves and I think he will get better with age. It's a tough spot to be in for a 16 yr old rookie goalie and it's not his fault he is in that position that belongs with the GM.
Digger
Digger

Postby CHL Watcher on Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:40 am

I don't blame Guzda for that loss. That was his best game and he made a few really clutch saves.

Even having said this....the team would be in a different position if the goaltender was a 90% bet to make a save every shot and every game. If you like, you can apply that number to the previous games' shot totals and see how it looks. It is the biggest factor.

Defense was really sloppy and slow to react in the third period. I noticed the Ranger play by play or colour guy say the Rangers were finally using their speed to confuse the Attack...and thinking to myself that it looks like the Attack have actually slowed right down....reaction time looked just like it does when you're crumbling and you know it. Everything was second guessed and slow.

Overall the team played pretty good. It was in Kitchener, they're missing two of their top line, they're on a downward trend, have lost their starting goaltender, and yet they made it look like they were going to pull it off....again. Not bad, really.

Again, a rookie kills them with a penalty in a poor choice of situations....and the bench picks up a minor.

It's the trend, rather than the game. It all looks very familiar....and very repetitive. There isn't much between winning and losing.

Secondary scoring? Not much happening there....but there are six players headed for 30+ goals, and they've scored more than 17 other OHL teams. which should be enough for any team with an experienced .900+ OHL goaltender. This is not the year to go at things on the cheap.

...and I think that's why people are now talking about the coach. I don't know if that's fair, given the situation. They're also talking about conditioning....and that comes back to the coach. Is it real? Is it really his fault? I don't really know because there is a huge gaping hole in this talented team. I just wish DD would lift the fog on the situation by getting another goaltender with some experience. At least then there might be a way to evaluate the rest of the team. Until then....they're working miracles, while being severely handicapped by management.

This is ALL on Dale DeGray........right down to bringing in an import who couldn't or didn't make the team....and then finding nobody to replace him. It's time for DD to a least give us a hint that he's got something going on.

To use a baseball analogy...
It's a crucial day in October, in the bottom of the ninth inning with the bases loaded, two out, and the home team down by one.....and for the fourth time in this situation the clean-up batter is batting third...it only takes one good swing..but fans are nervous because he's been whiffing all evening.
CHL Watcher

Postby cubby01 on Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:08 pm

Goaltending is all about timely saves. Guzda made some good saves last night but whiffed on the last two goals in regulation. That is so deflating to a team that worked hard all night to build a two goal lead on the road. This has been the pattern all year. Guzda will be the number one guy down the road, but it is unfair to put him in that position as a 16 year old.
cubby01

Postby stevey on Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:12 pm

Digger I do agree with that Goaltending is tough and I too feel sorry for both our goalies. Watcher I don't know what can be done I have not been following the team close enough for a couple seasons so maybe Digger can help, it is my understanding that our draft pick cupboard is looking kinda thin.
stevey

Postby labdog on Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:38 pm

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... Y/htmlview

Should get you to draft pick data base
labdog

Return to Electric Ice Forum