Game 27/68 storm at Attack December 2,2017 7:30 pm

A forum for all fans of the Owen Sound Attack of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Digger, waudby

Game 27/68 storm at Attack December 2,2017 7:30 pm

Postby attackisback on Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:09 pm

Who starts in net? New player won’t be in lineup until Friday.
Suzuki back?
attackisback

Re: Game 27/68 storm at Attack December 2,2017 7:30 pm

Postby hllywd99 on Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:07 pm

What a tire fire this goaltending situation has become.
........."FRACKEN A BABY! FRACKEN A!".............

......Andrew Shaw @ 11:09 pm 06/24/2013.......

.....TD Gardens in Boston, Mass.....
hllywd99

Postby cubby01 on Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:43 pm

Guzda was pretty darn good in relief. Last goal was a good shot into the top corner. Daniels, not so much.
Overall the Attack played really well, that last penalty call was terrible. This team seems to get all of the bad breaks, deserved better tonight.
cubby01

Postby hockeyhockeyhockey on Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:58 am

I was entertained by the game tonight . 5 regulars out, after Phillips sustained a nasty head check.
The young players had a lot of energy and played well.
Poor Guzda gives up one goal in the game and takes the loss.

The boys need to battle through this.

Overall , I don't mind tonight's result all things considered.
your Owen Sound Attack...

2011 OHL Champions
2011 Western Conference Champions
2011 Mid-West Division Regular Season Champions
2011 OHL Memorial Cup Participant
hockeyhockeyhockey

Postby Digger on Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:41 am

Attack lose wild one in shootout
Greg Cowan, Pincher Creek Echo
By Greg Cowan, Owen Sound Sun Times
Saturday, December 2, 2017 11:16:20 EST PM

For the fifth game in a row the Attack ended up on the losing side dropping a 6-5 shootout decision Saturday night to the Guelph Storm at the Harry Lumley Bayshore Community Centre in Owen Sound.

For the third game in a row the Attack gave up a lead in dramatic fashion.

For the second game in a row, according to coach Todd Gill, Owen Sound deserved a better result.

“The last two games, if you watch the 60 minutes of hockey we played, what I thought is, it was hockey good enough to win,” said Gill following the shootout defeat on Saturday. “There’s always reasons you don’t, but we just need to continue to give that kind of effort and this will turn around.”

The undermanned Attack were forced to play two defencemen in forward positions with Kevin Hancock, Zachary Roberts and Nick Suzuki all out. Hancock and Roberts with injuries and Suzuki still ill. Luke Beamish and Cole Cameron seemed to revel in their temporary new positions.

Cameron hit everything that moved on the forecheck.

The first period came and went without a goal or penalty and the Attack outshooting the Storm 16 to 6.

“I can’t ask them to give me more effort than they’re giving,” said Gill of his team. “Obviously we have to be better.”

The second period made up for an uneventful first. The action-packed frame featured a total of seven goals, a game misconduct, and a goalie change.

The Storm’s lanky Isaac Ratcliffe started the fun on the powerplay shovelling a rebound past Owen Sound goalie Riley Daniels. Ethan Szypula’s tripping infraction put the Attack on the penalty kill.

“I think it’s been a pretty consistent message in the room with guys taking penalties they shouldn’t be taking,” said Owen Sound captain Jacob Friend. “Our penalty kill right now isn’t good enough and it’s costing us a lot of games.”

The Storm would capitalize on another rebound chance just over four minutes later. This time Barret Kirwin picked up the loose change in front of the net and cashed it in for his fifth goal of the season.

The Attack looked frustrated going down 2-0 after dictating play in the first period. Halfway through the second, Milton’s Matthew Struthers tip-toed around Kirwin in the neutral zone and put a drop pass on a tee for the Attack’s Jonah Gadjovich who fired it into the back of the net. The highlight-reel goal finally put the Attack on the board.

With just over six minutes remaining in the period, Owen Sound’s Markus Phillips dumped the puck out of the Attack zone before the Storm’s Zach Poirier barrelled into him with a high and late hit. Poirier was given five-and-a-game as Phillips collected himself on the ice.

A Maksim Sushko tripping penalty would spoil the Attack man advantage under twenty seconds in, but Sean Durzi scored with a bullet from between the faceoff circles to tie the game as the teams played four-on-four.

Then the trouble for Daniels started. A floater from Guelph’s Dmitri Samorukov found a way through from the point putting the Storm back on top. Fifteen seconds after a Struthers’ goal evened it up for the Attack Daniels misplayed a puck sending in into no-mans-zone in front and onto Kirwin’s stick who put it in the net.

Kirwin’s second goal of the game ended Daniels' night. The Attack finished the game with 16-year-old Mack Guzda in net.

The teams combined to score four goals in a minute and 35 seconds. The circus-like second-period had a nice encore in the third.

Daylon Groulx’s powerplay goal just over six-minutes into the period tied the game. Then, just over five minutes later, a Brady Lyle point shot deflected off Jonah Gadjovich in front of the net and past Guelph goaltender Anthony Popovich.

The Attack leading now for the first time in the game, 5-4, were forced to kill-off back-to-back penalties - a Friend hooking call and Lyle tripping penalty.

“It’s kind of one of those hockey god things,” Friend said. “It’s the ones you take because of the stick, or because you weren’t moving your feet, when they capitalize.”

The hockey gods spared the Attack on the Storm’s man-advantages, but would not let them off the hook.

Under a minute left in the game, with the Guelph net empty, the Attack narrowly missed the wide open cage on a rolling shot from centre ice.

Then, with just 16 seconds remaining, Givani Smith sent Kirwin in all alone on Guzda. Kirwin made no mistake putting a backhand shot gloveside on the young goaltender and sending the game into overtime with the hat-trick goal.

“It’s really important to stick together as a team and not turn your back on each other,” Friend said. “I don’t think any of that is happening.”

The Attack outshot the Storm 6-2 in extra time, and 53-36 in the game, but Popovich’s performance and Ratcliffe’s silky moves in the shootout were the difference.

“I think every single guy in that room stepped up tonight, they got some goals that we would like back, but we battled. We never gave up and we got a point out of it,” said Gill.

“Sometimes the scoreboard gets a little crazy, but we did have a lot of shots on this guy and he played well.”

Guzda stopped 12 of 13 shots against in relief of Daniels.

Gill, who has rode the goalie carousel lately, said the permanent position is open to either goalie.

“It’s there for the taking.”

Daniels stopped 19 of 23 shots while Popovich got in front of 48 of the Attack’s 53.

Owen Sound now travels to the Sleeman Centre in Guelph for the road rematch against the Storm on Friday, puck drop is 7:30 p.m.
Digger
Digger

Postby CHL Watcher on Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:20 am

I wonder if the coach now sits Daniels and goes with the 16 year old? Daniels is clearly not ready for this league at this point in time.

Guzda looks like he knows what he's doing (for a young goalie). He's athletic, has good mobility and can really stretch out the pads. He tries to cover his angles and he definitely doesn't want one sneaking into that gap at the post (he covers it very well). He's no McNiven, but you can see that he does have the potential to be a great tender down the road a bit.

Yesterday's starter decision probably cost the team the game. I guess he had to give it one more shot.....because no team can run with a 16 year old carrying the whole load.

Predicting this coach has been tough to this point, but I think he has to do the impossible and run with a 16 year old in net.....and he knows it. What a feeling that must be.
CHL Watcher

Postby stevey on Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:47 am

I'm ok with last nights effort and if that puck rolls into the empty net even more so. I to believe Guzda is our guy I just hope we have access to a Sports Physcologist to try and keep his confidence from being destroyed. Someone said he's no McNiven correct but he might be better at 16 than Micheal was. I hope Marcus is ok that was Brutal. I have resigned myself to the fact that what we see is what we have for this year. When I looked at the database on another thread I don't see enough picks to do alot.
stevey

Postby CHL Watcher on Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:54 am

Well....picks wise...we're not in Windsor's shoes.

And trading players gets you picks or negates the need for them. Trading players right now for picks or a fewer number of players in exchange seems a little tough with the shorthanded situation they have right now. But temporary player shortage is no reason to throw away the stretch run.

Ultimately, only the playoffs matter....and having a proper line-up after Jan 10 will fix what's happened up to that point. Nothing can help the fact they're going to get beaten down until then.
Grabbing an import to go with Sushko should have been a walk in the park after last year's draft haul and stretch run. Did you see those two guys playing for Guelph last night? Guelph.

DeGray should not be giving up at this point....and nobody else should just be giving up at this point.

When the WJC is over (tryouts or tournament) the Attack will be whole again. There better be a goaltender here to help Guzda out.....there better be a second import....and there better be a third OA and that's that.

If not....then we know what part of the organisation failed the other parts, don't we?

Get on it, please........

I hate defeatism.....and DD sounds defeated every time I hear him lately. It's been weird from the start. Aw shucks, what can I do? Not good...

Maybe step aside?

GM and coach both saying....aw shucks....what can I do?

What would a DH or WR say to this attitude?

Maybe the rumours were true and DD just wants an excuse to cash in all his chips and make life easy with a stocked cupboard for later? Maybe he's actually feathering the nest for the next guy and moving on?

I don't know, but I'm trying to make sense of something that makes no sense.
Last edited by CHL Watcher on Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
CHL Watcher

Postby attackisback on Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:16 am

Jr b goalie. Ride guzda.

Szpyula with a brutal penalty . Doesn’t miss a shift
attackisback

Postby CHL Watcher on Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:20 am

attackisback wrote:Szpyula with a brutal penalty . Doesn’t miss a shift

I caught that, too.

No consequences.

In my rant about trading players/picks and the GM I didn't mention OAs (I've since edited) because DD doesn't seem to trade players away unless they're young players......has a loyalty to guys that have been around a long time (nothing wrong with that to a point)....and seems unwilling to do anything that makes any noise at all.

I don't think he or the coach will do anything regarding OAs.....other than to hopefully find a third overage. Even that seems a stretch for DD.

Here's the formula for success. Find an import and an OA who, if nothing else, can win 50%+ at the face-off dot. Now you're good to go and can compete for possession. Add a goaltender with a career .900. Now you win almost every game you play. Nothing else is needed (except consequences for hurting your own team with stupid penalties). This should not be overly difficult....unless you're focused on something entirely different or stuck on a particular guy who you can't pry loose. I suspect that's the issue. Tunnel vision?

The Attack don't need Luchuk, Raddysh, Dineen, Sambrook, and Dipietro to take this thing. All they need is standard issue goaltending, three overage contributers, and a pair of useful imports. Nothing special. They already have six guys who score at a 30-50 goal pace...sit third in the league in goals scored...and have a whole raft of very good, very mobile defensemen that most teams only wish they had. It's just that those few holes....faceoffs, goaltending, discipline, experience, leadership, accountability....have not been addressed properly by either DD or TG.

It's hard to believe they both let it go this far....
I'll forgive the whole thing if they get it done in one way or another.....but letting the team come to this without doing anything useful would be....
...kind of useless.
CHL Watcher

Postby stevey on Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:01 pm

I do agree with that. If we can get a .900 sv% Goalie and a decent O/A we would be in a much better place. I still question trading Vella for and bringing in Bowman not that Vella was our guy but we spent how much to get what ?
stevey

Postby CHL Watcher on Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:04 pm

A 2nd and a 3rd, I believe.....but I honestly am just throwing out stuff....cause I don't recall exactly.

But he got robbed.

How could anyone know that picking the bones of Saginaw, North Bay, and Sudbury for players the team already had plenty of wouldn't work out peachy for a championship caliber team?

You always assume there is a plan that leaves you completely in the dark. But DD's interviews seem like....maybe it's really that bad on the trade market.

If other teams are trying to grab Dudas from them (and any other like him) then write those teams off completely and move on. Dudas will be a 50 goal guy by 19....and with his size, may play at 20. Struthers is a keeper (can be a power forward for a couple of years more), Groulx (if..and only if he keeps a lid on emotion) is a definite keeper, Moro is a keeper (will be a deadly 19-20 year old). Chibrikov...must stay. The core of the team must stay. That leaves at least a half dozen potential trades.

DiPietro is a great goaltender...but he doesn't look unbeatable anymore. He's human. Move on.
CHL Watcher

Return to Electric Ice Forum