2018 Team Canada World Jr Thread

A forum for all fans of the Owen Sound Attack of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Digger, waudby

2018 Team Canada World Jr Thread

Postby attackisback on Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:24 pm

Nick Suzuki
and Jona Gadjovich named to selection camp roster

https://www.tsn.ca/wide-open-competitio ... r-1.936223

WORLD JUNIORS

HOCKEY CANADA
12m ago
Wide open competition for spots as Canada names WJC camp roster
TSN.ca Staff

Now Showing McKenzie: More than half of Canada's roster is up for grabs 1:58
McKenzie: More than half of Canada's roster is up for grabs
Up Next The different stages of making Team Canada 1:19
The different stages of making Team Canada
Button: Steel will be a key player at centre for Canada at WJC 1:11
Button: Steel will be a key player at centre for Canada at WJC
CALGARY - Canada's run for gold begins with a wide open competition for spots next week, as Hockey Canada named its selection camp roster on Wednesday in preparation for the 2018 World Junior Hockey Championship.
Hockey Canada named 32 players - 18 forwards, 10 defencemen and four goaltenders - to its selection camp roster in St. Catharines, Ont.

Seven players return from last year’s team, including Flyers goaltending prospect Carter Hart (Everett, WHL), Los Angeles Kings blueline prospect Kale Clague (Prince George, WHL), along with forwards Michael McLeod (Mississauga, OHL) of the New Jersey Devils and Tampa Bay's Taylor Raddysh (Erie, OHL).
That leaves 15 spots up for grabs as Hockey Canada will trim the roster down to 23 players.
"When you start taking out some prominent guys on defence and some potential No. 1, No. 2 and No. 3 centres amongst the forwards, it opens things up for the camp," TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie explained this week. "I think there are going to be some very good players that attend this camp, but it might lack a little bit of star power and I think this is a camp that you would look at and say that there's a high degree of sensitivity...that is, a really good performance by somebody could launch them right into the picture, a really poor performance in the camp could knock them out."
Other returnees include Calgary Flames prospect Dillon Dube of the Kelowna Rockets, Carolina blue-chipper Jake Bean (Calgary, WHL) and Nashville blueline prospect Dante Fabbro (Boston University).
Canada lost in heartbreaking fashion in last year's gold-medal final, edged in a shootout by the United States at Montreal's Bell Centre.
Kyrou looks poised to shine for Canada at World Juniors

Kyrou looks poised to shine for Canada at World Juniors
With 52 points in 24 games in the OHL, Craig Button takes a closer look at Sarnia Sting forward Jordan Kyrou, who looks poised to shine for Canada at this year's World Juniors.

"The last few shots, I couldn't even look at the ice," Fabbro told TSN this week. "I was pretty nervous and didn't know which way it was going to go...we had chances to win that game, but we ended up falling short."
Other notable players joining the eight returnees at selection camp are OHL leading scorer Jordan Kyrou (Sarnia), WHL leading goal scorer Tyler Steenbergen (Swift Current), Regina Pats centre Sam Steel and Memorial Cup-winning goaltender Michael DiPietro of the OHL's Windsor Spitfires.
The camp roster also has 11 first-round picks, including five from last June's NHL Draft - Colorado's Cale Makar, Cody Glass and Nick Suzuki of the Vegas Golden Knights, Tampa Bay Lightning prospect Cal Foote and St. Louis prospect Robert Thomas.
There are a good number of junior-eligible NHL players who are not listed on the roster, including Arizona blueliner Jakob Chychrun, Canadiens defenceman Victor Mete, Columbus Blue Jackets centre Pierre-Luc Dubois, Flyers centre Nolan Patrick, and defenceman Samuel Girard and centre Tyson Jost of the Colorado Avalanche.
Though most of these players will likely stay in the NHL, teams have until Dec. 19 to decide whether or not to loan them to the tournament.
Selection camp begins Tuesday in St. Catharines, Ont. and runs through Dec. 15. The camp includes games against a team of U Sports All-Stars on Dec. 13 and 14 and an exhibition game against Denmark on Dec. 15 before the final roster is announced.
Canada opens the World Junior Tournament in Buffalo on Boxing Day against Finland.
attackisback

Re: 2018 Team Canada World Jr Thread

Postby stevey on Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:36 pm

Congratulations to Jonah Gadjovich and Nick Suzuki. Two deserving candidates for sure. Would love to see both on the team a great opportunity for them.
stevey

Postby Digger on Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:52 pm

Awesome and goodluck boys.
Digger
Digger

Postby CHL Watcher on Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:11 pm

Yes, big congratulations to both!

It's awesome.
CHL Watcher

Postby attackisback on Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:58 am

http://attackhockey.com/article/gadjovi ... amp-roster
DECEMBER 6, 2017
Gadjovich and Suzuki named to Team Canada’s Selection Camp Roster

Owen Sound Attack forwards Nick Suzuki and Jonah Gadjovich have been named to Hockey Canada’s selection camp roster ahead of the 2018 IIHF U20 World Championship.

Two of the 32 players named to the roster who will be fighting for spots on Team Canada’s entry in the 2018 World Junior Hockey Championships, Suzuki and Gadjovich were both in attendance at the Summer Evaluation Camp as well.

This year’s World Junior Hockey Championship is slated to take place in Buffalo, New York, beginning on Dec. 26 and finishing on Jan. 5, 2018.

Drafted by the Vegas Golden Knights at 13th overall in the 2017 NHL Entry Draft, Suzuki earned his spot in the camp thanks to a solid showing in the summer training camp, as well as an explosive start to the 2017-18 Ontario Hockey League season.

Suzuki also starred in the 2017 CIBC CANvsRUS Series, scoring twice in Team OHL’s win over the Russians in Game 4 of the Series, which took place in Sudbury on Monday, Nov. 13.

Through 24 games on the year, the Attack assistant captain has scored 17 times and assisted on 25 others for 42 points – good for 3rd in the OHL scoring race.

The London, ON native had a breakout sophomore campaign last season, scoring 45 goals and chipping in with 51 helpers while also establishing himself as one of the premier defensive forwards in the league.

In 152 career regular season games with Owen Sound, Suzuki has found the back of the net 82 times while also tallying 94 assists for 176 points.

Gadjovich, who was selected by the Vancouver Canucks at 55th overall in the 2017 NHL Entry Draft, was a standout at Hockey Canada’s summer evaluation camp after scoring an outstanding 46 goals in the 2016-17 season for the Attack.

Despite having missed some time early this season with an injury, Gadjovich hasn’t missed a step, finding the back of the net 14 times while adding 11 helpers for 25 points through 19 games on the year.

In the midst of his 4th year with the Attack, Gadjovich has appeared in 205 career OHL games, totalling 78 goals and 54 assists along with 150 penalty minutes.

Canada’s National Junior Team Sport Chek Selection Camp will be held at the Meridian Centre, the home of the Ontario Hockey League’s (OHL) Niagara Ice Dogs, and will also feature a trio of games – two against a U SPORTS team on Dec. 13 and 14, and a game against Denmark on Dec. 15 before the final roster is named at the end of camp.

For more information on Canada’s National Junior Team, please visit HockeyCanada.ca or follow through social media on Facebook and Twitter.

This season of Attack Hockey is brought to you by Lerners Personal Injury Lawyers and Bertrand & Muzzell Paralegal Services.
attackisback

Postby attackisback on Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:58 am

http://attackhockey.com/article/lyszcza ... amp-roster

DECEMBER 5, 2017
Lyszczarczyk named to Team Poland’s Selection Camp roster

Owen Sound Attack forward Alan Lyszczarczyk has been named to Team Poland’s Preliminary Roster ahead of the 2018 World Under 20 Div 1 B Championship.

One of 37 skaters named to the tryout squad that will vie for a spot in the round robin type tournament – held in Bled, Slovenia from Dec. 9 – Dec. 15 – Lyszczarczyk will return to the squad that he was a star on in last year’s tournament.

The 19 year old left winger was Poland’s leading scorer at the same tournament last season, scoring 4 times and adding seven assists for an astounding 11 points in five games.

In his last year of eligibility for the tournament, Lyszczarczyk will be one of the most experienced players in Poland’s camp, having won gold with Poland at the 2016 World U18 Group B championships, while also suiting up in exhibition games for the Polish Men’s Team ahead of the 2017 World Hockey Championships.

In 23 games with Owen Sound this season, Lyszczarczyk has six goals and seven assists for 13 points.

More information on the 2018 World Under 20 Div 1 B Championship can be found HERE, while a full roster for Team Poland can be found HERE.

This season of Attack Hockey is brought to you by Lerners Personal Injury Lawyers and Bertrand & Muzzell Paralegal Services.
attackisback

Postby stevey on Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:02 am

Not WORLD Jr Team Canada but Attack related.

In Game 1 of the #IIHFWJC1B Tournament, Attack forward Alan Lyszczarczyk had five points (2G, 3A) in a 9-4 win over Team Italy.

FULL DETAILS --> https://t.co/L5iyQGmJG0

#RedRising

If you follow the link to the game summary it shows 2 G 4A not sure which is right either way Congratulations
stevey

Postby CHL Watcher on Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:45 am

That's great.

But it was actually 2 goals and 4 assists for 6 points....minor detail, but even better.
CHL Watcher

Postby attackisback on Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:47 am

http://www.bayshorebroadcasting.ca/news ... wsID=98188

Tuesday, December 12, 2017
Camp Opens
St Catharines | by Bayshore News Staff

Gadjovich & Suzuki Compete For National Junior Spots

The National Junior Hockey Team Selection Camp opens today St. Catharines.

Jonah Gadjovich & Nick Suzuki of the Owen Sound Attack are among the 32 players at the camp.

The camp will be highlighted by 2 exhibition games against a U SPORTS all star team plus a game against Denmark on Friday.

The roster will be shaved to 23 players for the start of the 2018 World Junior Championship which will be staged at Buffalo beginning Boxing Day.

Previous Page | Print This Story

Former attack player Holden Cook will be involved in theUsports game.
attackisback

Postby attackisback on Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:44 pm

https://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/news/ ... -of-suzuki

THE SUMMER OF SUZUKI
From London to Chicago to Las Vegas, and from Calgary to Plymouth, it has been an interesting few months for Nick and Ryan Suzuki
Katie Brickman | August 2, 2017 | Favourite (10)
Nick and Ryan Suzuki hate losing – especially to each other.

The brothers are competitive in everything they do, from video games to ping pong to hockey.

“I think we have always had a good relationship,” says Nick, 21 months older than little brother Ryan. “Ever since we were little, we have been playing road hockey, mini sticks in the basement and we are both pretty competitive. We like to challenge each other and beat each other. We’ve always had that competitive relationship, but I think as we’ve grown older, we are closer and have respect for each other.”

For the Suzukis, Dec. 14 has probably already been circled on their calendars – the first Ontario Hockey League showdown for family bragging rights. That will be the first time Nick and his Owen Sound Attack take on Ryan and the Barrie Colts.

“I don’t know if he is a guy you want to go up against, but it will be pretty exciting playing against him for the first time,” said Ryan. “It will be special having our family there. Hopefully he doesn’t score too much on us.”

Despite their competitive nature, the London, Ont., brothers are each other’s biggest supporters. When Ryan was drafted first overall by Barrie in the OHL Priority Selection in April, Nick – the 14th pick two years ago – was on his way to Sault Ste. Marie for a playoff game, but was excited and proud of his brother.

“It has been pretty special to see him grow up and become a good hockey player,” said Nick. “When I learned he was going to get picked first overall in the OHL I was pretty proud of him. He puts in a lot of work into getting better and I look forward to playing against him.”

The pride went both ways this summer in Chicago as Ryan watched Nick reach a major goal of his, getting drafted 13th overall by the Vegas Golden Knights in the 2017 NHL Entry Draft.

“It was awesome to see him get one step closer to his dream of playing in the NHL,” said Nick. “Seeing him go up there on stage and realizing that in two years, I could have the same opportunity, it gave me a bit more motivation to keep working hard to make my dreams come true.”

Growing up, Ryan and Nick spent their Christmas holiday watching the IIHF World Junior Championship, all while fantasizing of the day they would hopefully play for Canada in the same tournament.

While Nick is chasing that fantasy this summer, Ryan is starting his own Hockey Canada journey.

Nick wore the Maple Leaf with Canada’s National Men’s Summer Under-18 Team at the Ivan Hlinka Memorial Cup last August, and earned himself a spot at Canada’s National Junior Team Sport Chek Summer Development Camp, with his sights set on the World Juniors in Buffalo this December.

“Any opportunity you get to represent your country at any level is a big honour,” said Nick. “I think this experience will be great and a lot of fun. I know quite of few of the guys at camp and I am just going to play my best.”

Not to be outdone, Ryan headed to Calgary last week as one of the 111 players invited to Canada’s national under-17 development camp, the first step in the Program of Excellence.

“He told me it was going to be a tough and grueling week, but he said to keep working hard and show the coaches what I can do,” Ryan says of his brother’s U17 advice. “He told me to drink a lot of water and take in this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.”

The brothers share a few similarities in their game, including a knack for scoring goals and amassing points.

Nick was the highest-scoring draft-eligible Canadian in the Canadian Hockey League, posting 45 goals and 96 points with the Attack, good for fifth in the OHL scoring race. Ryan’s season wasn’t too bad either; he put up 59 points in 32 games with the London Jr. Knights (Minor Midget AAA), leading the Minor Hockey Alliance of Ontario in scoring and winning an Alliance championship.

Despite those parallels, their personalities are different, which helps keep their bond close despite the distance between them during the season.

“We are pretty similar … we see and think the game the same way, but Nick is a pretty funny kid. He is a big character and likes to make people laugh. He is more of a jokester than I am,” says Ryan.

Nick describes his brother as more of a “calm guy that doesn’t get too heated.” As much as Nick tries to pick on Ryan, he doesn’t bite on anything. That means Ryan could soon follow in a few more of his brother’s footsteps – Nick was named the most sportsmanlike player in the OHL and CHL last season.

So as much as Ryan and Nick enjoy facing off against each other and getting those competitive juices flowing, the bond they have will continue to grow as they pursue their hockey dreams.

“Even though we will be in different cities, I don’t think it will be hard to stay in touch,” says Nick. “We will play each other a few times during the season, and during the off-season we will hang out … we are still brothers. We are always going to be brothers.”
attackisback

Postby attackisback on Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:07 pm

https://www.tsn.ca/hockey-canada/video/ ... ys~1283023

Button: Suzuki is an adaptable forward who can make plays
Craig Button takes a closer look at Owen Sound Attack forward Nick Suzuki, who can play both centre and wing while using his strength to make plays.
attackisback

Postby stevey on Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:24 pm

Through three games at the #IIHFWJC1B Tournament, Attack forward Alan Lyszczarczyk leads the competition with five goals and six assists to help power Poland to a 3-0 record! #RedRising

http://www.iihf.com/competition/645/

Can he find a non import goalie at the tournament and bring him back LOL J/K
stevey

Postby attackisback on Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:06 pm

attackisback

Postby attackisback on Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:50 am

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/ ... mp-roster/

Suzuki and Gadjovich survive first cuts. Roster to be announced Friday night
attackisback

Postby hockeyhockeyhockey on Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:42 am

As much as I'd like those two, and Sushko and Lyszczarczyk in Attack jerseys this weekend, I'm more excited to see them compete for their countries.
This may be a once in a lifetime chance that not many players get, and I'll be proud to watch them every step of the way.
In a season littered with disappointments, this story is truly one to be happy about.
Best of luck, guys!
your Owen Sound Attack...

2011 OHL Champions
2011 Western Conference Champions
2011 Mid-West Division Regular Season Champions
2011 OHL Memorial Cup Participant
hockeyhockeyhockey

Next

Return to Electric Ice Forum