2018 Team Canada World Jr Thread

A forum for all fans of the Owen Sound Attack of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Digger, waudby

Re: 2018 Team Canada World Jr Thread

Postby hockeyhockeyhockey on Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:17 pm

Suzuki out, Gadjo in
your Owen Sound Attack...

2011 OHL Champions
2011 Western Conference Champions
2011 Mid-West Division Regular Season Champions
2011 OHL Memorial Cup Participant
hockeyhockeyhockey

Postby attackisback on Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:19 pm

Suzuki cut Gadjovich makes team.
attackisback

Postby CHL Watcher on Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:24 pm

Makes some sense.

Suzuki has another year to make this team and is one of the best of his type of player in the country.

Gadjovich is unmatched at what he does. Did you see that deflection the other day? He does that over and over and over. Hand eye coordination is incredible. Attitude is one hundred percent right where you want it. The guy will make the pros next year. For now I like the idea of Team Canada with a guy like Gadjovich in front of the other net.
CHL Watcher

Postby Pitou on Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:11 am

I love this tournament but there always seems to be some head scratcher choices. It seems that some natural scorers are left off in lieu of this in the box template they look for.

Batherson over Glass? Is this team going to struggle to score consistently? I think so.
Pitou

Postby CHL Watcher on Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:18 pm

I'll give you that. I scratch my head every year over things they do.

Oddly, we're usually correct in wondering what the agenda is with these guys.

Canada shouldn't have any trouble at this tournament.....but they make their own trouble most of the time.

Even when they do well you know they could have done it in more than one form. Sometimes there are enough good omissions to make a second team that would compete just as well.

It seems to be mostly about the draft and the age of the player.....and the supposed role they are going to play. Sketchy at best.

As a Q fan I'd be apoplectic about the stupidity, as it very clearly favours players west of Quebec. Reality does not. Ask the Russians about that little factoid.

Hockey Canada has always been a western entity with some crumbs thrown around to confuse the numpties.
CHL Watcher

Postby attackisback on Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:09 pm

http://www.owensoundsuntimes.com/2017/1 ... ada-roster

Updated: Gadjovich makes final Team Canada roster
Monday, December 18, 2017 10:52:50 EST AM

Jonah Gadjovich will be one of the 22 players representing team Canada at the World Junior Hockey championships in Buffalo.

The 19-year-old Owen Sound Attack forward survived the final round of cuts on Friday night after being a scratch for the afternoon exhibition game against Denmark.

“I was waiting at the hotel waiting to see if I was getting a call or not,” the Attack forward said.

When he saw the last cuts were made and started getting calls and texts of congratulations he knew he’d made the team.

“I didn’t even know what to think at that point. I was just so excited,” he said.

Gadjovich didn’t record any points in his two games against the U Sports all-stars, but showed the team Canada coaches enough at camp, over the summer evaluation process, and throughout the season in Owen Sound to make the team.

“I guess I showed Hockey Canada what I was all about and they saw what they needed to see,” Gadjovich said.

Nick Suzuki, the Attack’s leading point-scorer, had a shorthanded assist in the selection camp games, but was the last forward to be released on Friday.

“There’s always stuff to work on. My skating has to get better to get to that NHL level of speed. That’s a big thing I will be working on,” said Suzuki upon returning to the Attack and after playing two games on the weekend.

“I think I come back with the mentality of getting better. I can get better at every aspect and that’s what I want from myself. Being a complete player is what I want to be and hopefully next year I can make the team.”

The Las Vegas Knights prospect and 2017 NHL first-round pick was one of the youngest players vying for a spot on the Canadian team.

Before heading to the team Canada selection camp, Gadjovich hoped his physical style and ability to play in all situations would help him carve out a spot on the team.

His propensity for creating havoc in front of the net and scoring goals in tight are often sought after commodities.

“I know what my role is supposed to be,” Gadjovich said. “I am just going through the motions, taking it step-by-step. I’ve had a lot of family and friends and people reach out . . . that’s honestly been, for me, the best part . . . to see how many people care - that means a lot to me.”

The Attack forward enjoyed a breakout season last year scoring 74 points and 46 goals in 60 games. He was selected by the Vancouver Canucks 55th overall in 2017.

This season, Gadjovich has been on a tear after returning from injury and has 15 goals and 26 points in 21 games for the Attack.

“It’s something I dreamed about as a kid,” he said. “Growing up I never really thought I’d be in this position, I have the opportunity to represent my country and I am going to do it to the best of my ability.”

The 33 players who attended team Canada’s selection camp have been narrowed down to the final roster of 22. The Canadians will play tune-up games in London on Wednesday against the Czech Republic and Friday in Hamilton versus Switzerland.

The World Junior Hockey Championship begins on Boxing Day in Buffalo and runs until the medal games on January 5. Canada will open their tournament against Finland and play outdoors at New Era Field against the Americans on Friday, December 29.

gcowan@postmedia.com

Follow Greg on Twitter @GregCowanST
attackisback

Postby attackisback on Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:48 am

https://www.tsn.ca/raddysh-thomas-lead- ... s-1.949669

Raddysh, Thomas lead Canada's pre-tournament rout of Czechs
The Canadian Press

WJC: Canada 9, Czech Republic 0
Taylor Raddysh finished with two goals and two assists, Robert Thomas pitched in with four points of his own and 15 different players recorded a point in Canada's big win over the Czech Republic.

LONDON, Ont. — Opponents in the Ontario Hockey League, Taylor Raddysh and Robert Thomas have found chemistry as linemates on Canada's junior team.

Raddysh had a pair of goals and Thomas scored and added two assists as Canada routed the Czech Republic 9-0 on Wednesday in the first of two pre-tournament exhibition games ahead of the world junior hockey championship.

"It's nice to have Raddysh on our side," said Thomas, who as a forward with the OHL's London Knights normally checks against Raddysh and his Erie Otters teammates. "We battled a lot in the playoffs last year so being able to play with him is definitely nice."

Thomas and Raddysh also assisted on Boris Katchouk's goal, as Canada dominated possession throughout the game and set up intricate passing plays to pick apart the Czech defence.

"Thomas is a fast guy and can make a lot of skilled plays and also Katchouk on the left wing there, he's a hard-working guy who can do the same," said Raddysh. "We've clicked in the last couple of practices and tonight was a success for us. We just have to continue to build off of that."

Carter Hart had a 23-save shutout and will likely be the starter when Canada begins the world championships against Finland on Dec. 26 in Buffalo, N.Y. Before the game head coach Dominique Ducharme indicated that Colton Point may start in net on Friday against Switzerland in Hamilton in another pre-tournament game.

Maxime Comtois had the eventual winner, while Jake Bean, Jonah Gadjovich, Drake Batherson and Cal Foote also scored in front of a sold-out crowd of 9,036 at Budweiser Garden.

Jakub Skarek stopped 25-of-34 shots in net for the Czech Republic. Josef Korenar turned aside two shots in relief.

Comtois finished off a tic-tac-toe play with Alex Formenton and Cale Klague by batting the puck past Skarek to open scoring. Thomas and Raddysh made it 2-0 with a perfectly executed 2-on-1 six minutes later. Thomas carried the puck over the blue line, passed to Raddysh, who deked out Skarek before passing the puck back, giving Thomas a wide-open net.

Bean scored five minutes into the second to increase Canada's lead to 3-0. A slapshot from Katchouk with 2:50 left in the second made it 4-0.

The Czech Republic came closest to solving Hart 5:32 into the third period when the puck was sliding along the goal-line behind him but the knob of his stick — and the blades from his defencemen — kept it out.

Thomas and Raddysh connected on Canada's fifth goal near the midway point of the third period. Thomas gave Raddysh a cross-crease feed that was easily redirected into the net. Raddysh scored his second of the night just 27 seconds later, this time on the power play, to make it 6-0.

"I think we moved the puck really well," said Thomas. "Having two great players to play with makes it easy on you. Radds and Katchouk they can really bury a puck so just try to get it to them and let them do their magic."

Less than two minutes later, Batherson flipped his rebound over to Gajovich, who backhanded it into the net to add to Canada's already sizable lead. Batherson then scored his own goal, wiring a wristshot from the top of the circle past a screened Skarek.

Skarek was chased from net by Canada's ninth goal of the night at the 14:22 mark of the third period. Another pass across the crease landed on the stick of Foote, who had an empty net as Skarek was in the splits and unable to slide over for a stop.

Notes: Defenceman Dante Fabbro (lower body) and forward Dillon Dube (shoulder) are listed as day to day. Dube skated Wednesday morning but Fabbro has not been on the ice since an exhibition against Denmark on Dec. 15.

___

Follow @jchidleyhill on Twitter
attackisback

Postby Digger on Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:37 pm

Digger
Digger

Postby stevey on Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:37 am

Good Video I wanted to tweet the TSN guy's the other night when they were talking about who comes out of darkness to be a hero.Nobody mentioned Jonah I wanted to tweet his name but figured I would just let them see first hand when it happens. I feel with his net presence he has a good chance to get one of those tip in's or bang in a rebound at a huge moment.
stevey

Postby CHL Watcher on Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:24 pm

I think this article is a good read. It doesn't mention much about Belarus (including our own), but it does paint a nice little picture of what the WJC is all about for people not in the know......and there are surprisingly few outside of Canada that are in the know about this tournament. I think the article really nails it at the end.

http://2018.worldjunior.hockey/en/news/ ... o-buffalo/
CHL Watcher

Postby hockeyhockeyhockey on Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:33 pm

FYI day 2 of WJC , Sushko and Gadjovich named player of the game for Team Belarus and Team Canada.
Congratulations on all your hard work, representing your countries, and the Attack!

Well done.
your Owen Sound Attack...

2011 OHL Champions
2011 Western Conference Champions
2011 Mid-West Division Regular Season Champions
2011 OHL Memorial Cup Participant
hockeyhockeyhockey

Postby CHL Watcher on Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:56 am

I was just about to post the same when I saw your post.

Sushko is 18, in the role of Captain. With some luck he's in the top grouping again next year.

Great to see...two players awarded Player of the Game at the U20 on the same day....undoubtedly a first for the Attack.
CHL Watcher

Postby attackisback on Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:00 am

https://www.tsn.ca/hockey-canada/video/ ... rs~1291940

to bad jonah probably wont end up here after the trade deadline (most likely should be traded to get some assets for next year)
attackisback

Postby stevey on Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:52 am

Great interview thanks for sharing. While I understand selling off DD is not a quitter and I think the ownership group will want playoff revenue if possible. I know Ollie said he's not a saviour the good thing is we don't need one we just need him to stop 90% of SOG. Everyone is afraid of SSM and rightfully so but as has been pointed out before.Who else scares you ? I personally don't like packing it in but it's not my call obviously. I wonder if Dale has already talked with Jonah before he left. I know last time we were in this situation he gave Nastasiuk and Bigras there choice and they both wanted to stay with there teammates and battle to the end. Is that right or wrong you can argue both ways, but it shows loyalty from management which goes a long way in dealing with prospective players.Watchers #'s I believe are very accurate if we get that .900 sv % we are a totally different team and with our 3 WJ players hopefully up a notch and Nick with a point to prove we can climb up the standings,it is tightly grouped right ahead of us a little run and we can climb multiple spots quickly.
stevey

Postby CHL Watcher on Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:38 pm

attackisback wrote:https://www.tsn.ca/hockey-canada/video/gadjovich-ready-to-play-outdoors~1291940

to bad jonah probably wont end up here after the trade deadline (most likely should be traded to get some assets for next year)

Is there something happening next year that you want to let the rest of us in on?
CHL Watcher

PreviousNext

Return to Electric Ice Forum