How important is goaltending?

A forum for all fans of the Owen Sound Attack of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Digger, waudby

How important is goaltending?

Postby CHL Watcher on Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:13 am

I took a bit of time to go through each game this season and here is what I found (feel free to check for yourself and correct any error you may find):

Let's say the Attack have goaltending running at .900.... Nothing special, but consistent and average or better....just for the purpose of comparing results based on a different save percentage.

Based on a .900 save percentage and with absolutely no change to offense (which is a ridiculous notion, but nevertheless...) the Attack season would be different in the following ways:

30 pts would be 46 points. 4 points in front of the Sting and 4 points behind the Soo with a game in hand and head to head still to play. This is right about where everyone expected them to be.

110 goals against would be 76 goals against. The best in the league, as expected.

The team has been out shot just 3 times....twice, marginally by London, and once, marginally by Kitchener...and this is generally indicative of the play on the ice.

Now let's add some realism to this fantasy. A vastly improved defense creates a vastly improved offense, particularly in the case of the Attack....or any high tempo offensive machine (and that they are).

The rest of the problems the Attack have are minor issues by comparison, easily fixed, and do not stand in the way of success.

Now, if they had a goalie with a .905, or .910, or .915, etc....the picture continues to darken for every other team and continues to brighten for the Attack. Records could be set with just that change made. This is not a year to throw away. Anyone who thinks that has rocks in their head.

Numbers.....it's right in the numbers.

Now go and find a goaltender with some experience.

Side question: I realise that DD has no doubt looked into this and knows the story, but since I don't I'll ask....
What happened to 6'3" Joe Murdaca who had a .903 save percentage last year (and went with .938 in the playoffs)? He's a 1998! Is he playing anywhere? Unless there is a serious problem with him or he just doesn't want to play or he's playing elsewhere.....that's your cheapest, most experienced, possible hail Mary option right there.
CHL Watcher

Re: How important is goaltending?

Postby Annan_Man on Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:40 am

The story on Murdaca that I read over on HFboards was he was caught smoking wacky tabacky at the memorial cup. Wasn't allowed to ride the bus back to Erie with the team and was cut loose.
Annan_Man

Postby CHL Watcher on Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:52 am

Annan_Man wrote:The story on Murdaca that I read over on HFboards was he was caught smoking wacky tabacky at the memorial cup. Wasn't allowed to ride the bus back to Erie with the team and was cut loose.

So he is unlikely to be 'falling out of the sky'.

That's too bad.

It seems like an odd approach to drugs for the team and the league. A bit at odds with that supportive, nurturing stuff....if you get my drift. Take a kid that's making poor decisions that can affect his entire life and guarantee it, rather than dealing with it. I get it (zero tolerance and all), preventing infection and so on, but again we have a kid with good potential shunned out of his dreams for a mistake....rather than helped out in some way. Maybe I'm wrong. People do dumb things at the most inopportune time and it makes life difficult for everyone, particularly them. I'm a parent....so I don't get to cut anyone loose if they act up. Teams are businesses. There is a stark difference. Yet, even employers do better with their employees in most cases.

Well, I wish him the best of luck. The Memorial Cup is a really dumb place to be smoking the devil's lettuce. Who wouldn't know that? A waste of talent.
CHL Watcher

Postby attackisback on Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:57 am

was he really that great of goaltender? back up to timpano, hasnt caught on with a team.... seems not.
attackisback

Postby CHL Watcher on Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:59 am

attackisback....you scare the heck out of me with your lust to lose.
CHL Watcher

Postby cubby01 on Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:56 am

Interesting analysis Watcher and I imagine that DD is crunching the same numbers and maybe banging his head on his desk. If he can't find that elusive .900 goalie, what happens next? Obviously the team can't compete with the Sting or Hounds with the current situation. Does he have to unload some talent then and give up on this year? The next few weeks will be interesting for sure.
cubby01

Postby attackisback on Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:18 am

Post by CHL Watcher on Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:59 am

attackisback....you scare the heck out of me with your lust to lose.

that makes no sense as usual. If there was a goalie available for the attack they would have him by now. Helvig isnt going anywhere b the looks of it. mcNiven isnt coming back. who else is out there without giving up 5 draft pics and a good young player? Murdaca got caught smoking dope he got black listed. Degray has a culture here of bringing in good kids, not ho-sang egotype kids
attackisback

Postby Noofgoof on Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:08 pm

Hate to say it but im with watcher on this one .. Im alright with bringin in Murdaca at this point who honestly cares about a little bit of wacky tabacky if you only knew how many guys have done it you probably would care alot less.. I know of some who were the top players on the team in years past and even went on to have decent nhl carreers without naming any names.. big deal it will be legal soon enough. Somethings gota happen. Like watcher said a .900 goalie puts us right up there with the big dogs. No pun intended :lol:
Noofgoof

Postby hockeyhockeyhockey on Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:16 pm

Goaltending extremely important. The Attack have fallen from 2nd to 7th place in West, and with London 2 pts back and surging, it's a matter of time before the Attack are clawing for a playoff spot.

Too bad, great group of skill, will not see their efforts come to fruition this year.
your Owen Sound Attack...

2011 OHL Champions
2011 Western Conference Champions
2011 Mid-West Division Regular Season Champions
2011 OHL Memorial Cup Participant
hockeyhockeyhockey

Postby BearStrike on Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:17 pm

Interesting stat Watcher.

Certainly puts things into perspective, and only a .900 SP to boot.

I think it only gets more more upset Watcher :)

Bearstrike
BearStrike

Postby stevey on Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:23 pm

Maybe Coach should roll up a couple on the bus and let whoever is starting have a few hits. It can't hurt. look at Grant Fuhr when he was on the Coke as opposed to when he cleaned up no comparison.
stevey

Postby Noofgoof on Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:55 am

Can i copy your post to half boards watcher
Noofgoof

Postby Kadri_Leafs1990 on Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:05 am

Murdaca is playing in the QMJHL. OS Could have had him for $1000 and passed. That shows you just how much DD values him.

And he isn't turning heads in that league.
Kadri_Leafs1990

Postby Noofgoof on Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:48 am

Lol but is he doing better then 3.89 Gaa and a .859 save percentage? If so hes better then what our team has averaged
Noofgoof

Postby Annan_Man on Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:19 am

CHL Watcher wrote:
Annan_Man wrote:The story on Murdaca that I read over on HFboards was he was caught smoking wacky tabacky at the memorial cup. Wasn't allowed to ride the bus back to Erie with the team and was cut loose.

So he is unlikely to be 'falling out of the sky'.

That's too bad.

It seems like an odd approach to drugs for the team and the league. A bit at odds with that supportive, nurturing stuff....if you get my drift. Take a kid that's making poor decisions that can affect his entire life and guarantee it, rather than dealing with it. I get it (zero tolerance and all), preventing infection and so on, but again we have a kid with good potential shunned out of his dreams for a mistake....rather than helped out in some way. Maybe I'm wrong. People do dumb things at the most inopportune time and it makes life difficult for everyone, particularly them. I'm a parent....so I don't get to cut anyone loose if they act up. Teams are businesses. There is a stark difference. Yet, even employers do better with their employees in most cases.

Well, I wish him the best of luck. The Memorial Cup is a really dumb place to be smoking the devil's lettuce. Who wouldn't know that? A waste of talent.

There sounds like there was multiple off ice infractions. The Erie thread on HF has the details. And as pointed out he landed in the Q now with Acadia. 5 games 3.29 GA, .899 %
Annan_Man

Next

Return to Electric Ice Forum