Game 28/68 Attack @ Guelph Dec 7, 2017 7:30 pm

A forum for all fans of the Owen Sound Attack of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Digger, waudby

Game 28/68 Attack @ Guelph Dec 7, 2017 7:30 pm

Postby attackisback on Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:19 am

http://attackhockey.com/article/attack- ... -and-flint

DECEMBER 7, 2017
Attack to square off with Guelph and Flint

The Owen Sound Attack will play just twice this weekend, with the final game of a six game stretch against Midwest Division opponents kicking off their weekend of action this Friday night.

Heading to Guelph to play the Storm for the 2nd consecutive game, and 3rd time in their last five games, Owen Sound takes off for the Royal City looking to end a five game losing streak and gain ground on a Guelph team that is three points ahead of them in the standings.

The Attack begin their 12th week of action in the 2017-18 OHL season with a 13-10-1-3 record, which has them at 30 points in 27 games played.

Sitting 3rd in the Midwest, Owen Sound is 7th in the Western Conference while the Storm’s 15-10-1-2 mark is good for 33 points in in 28 games, and 5th in the Conference.

Leading the way for the Storm in the season series against the Attack is Barrett Kirwin – who scored a hattrick in Guelph’s 6-5 shootout win over Owen Sound on Saturday, Dec. 2.

Seven other Guelph players have also recorded a pair of points in the two head to head match ups between the Attack and Storm, with Guelph’s leading scorer Ryan Merkley (35 points on the year) having tallied a pair of assists.

Conversely, Owen Sound’s potent offence has only produced four players that have picked up more than one point in the season series, with Jonah Gadjovich leading the way thanks to three goals and a helper.

Attack leading scorer Nick Suzuki, 4th in the OHL scoring race with 42 points, has missed both games against the Storm this year but is expected to return to the lineup on Friday night.

Fan’s can catch the 7:30pm puck drop live by listening to Fred Wallace’s call on Kia of Owen Sound/Terry’s Trailer Service Bear Radio on 560 CFOS or by watching on Rogers Local 53.
attackisback

Re: Game 28/68 Attack @ Guelph Dec 7, 2017 7:30 pm

Postby hockeyhockeyhockey on Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:51 pm

As a long time fan, after three weeks of this, it gets very fatiguing watching the Attack dominate many areas of the game, yet watching the opposition taking advantage of a situation the players have no control over.

All their hard work with hardly nothing to show for it.

If it's frustrating for this fan, one can only imagine what these boys are going through, and exactly how long they will continue to push hard before they accept it's for naught.

Week after week we continue to see the evidence. The Attack have scored more goals than 17 other OHL teams. 17......

One more pt for London, and the Attack are out of the playoffs.
Last edited by hockeyhockeyhockey on Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
your Owen Sound Attack...

2011 OHL Champions
2011 Western Conference Champions
2011 Mid-West Division Regular Season Champions
2011 OHL Memorial Cup Participant
hockeyhockeyhockey

PLEASE!!!

Postby Sounder76 on Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:06 am

HHH, I could not agree more. I am frustrated, exasperated, annoyed, ticked, fatiqued, etc beyond words at this point.

I hope someone unearths their inner Dave Carr and makes a sign that reads "What are you waiting for DD???" Right where Dave used to display them, where everyone can see.

That post about a .900 goalie really got me going and tonight didn't help matters. If they don't get a goalie, then why bother with this year?

We are tied for the last playoff spot!!! With London! Was London not 1-10 at one point and everyone thought "wow". I told a couple people, don't sleep on them, they will be in the top four by deadline. I didn't expect we would be behind them fighting to make the playoffs. They did something though that we did not. It rhymes with shoemakers.

One word, pathetic. Not our boys out there playing either, it starts at the top. DeGray is clearly done here and brought in his Leaf buddy Gill to stand behind the bench to do and say nothing. Gill is the least enthusiastic coach I've ever seen.

Someone PLEASE make a sign.....for all of us feeling this way.
Sounder76

Postby Digger on Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:42 am

hockeyhockeyhockey wrote:As a long time fan, after three weeks of this, it gets very fatiguing watching the Attack dominate many areas of the game, yet watching the opposition taking advantage of a situation the players have no control over.

All their hard work with hardly nothing to show for it.

If it's frustrating for this fan, one can only imagine what these boys are going through, and exactly how long they will continue to push hard before they accept it's for naught.

Week after week we continue to see the evidence. The Attack have scored more goals than 17 other OHL teams. 17......

One more pt for London, and the Attack are out of the playoffs.

I thought two teams from each conference didn't make the playoffs. That means if Flint or Erie pass the Attack then they would be out of the playoffs.
Digger
Digger

Postby hockeyhockeyhockey on Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:26 am

Yes you are correct, Digger. One more pt for London and the Attack fall to the 8th and final playoff spot.

After that , would it be a stretch to wonder if the Attack continue the free fall right out of the playoffs ?

Tonight is the 7th consecutive 4 pt game .

Did anyone imagine this team getting two of a possible 14 points three weeks ago?

We were nipping at Kitchener's heels for 2nd place.

I don't recall ever seeing such a free fall by the Owen Sound franchise .

It defies logic, really .

This is not a roster full of unproven talent . I cant believe they are a house of cards.

Yet since Zack Bowmans departure they have won a single game , and that in a shootout, and have been clipping along at a .142 winning percentage in that stretch.

May I suggest without immediate intervention , this team will finish the season with less than 40 pts?
Is it incumbent on someone to do something , or just watch Rome burn ?

I never dreamt it would be a "first to worst" scenario back in September when the team went 5-0 in preseason .
your Owen Sound Attack...

2011 OHL Champions
2011 Western Conference Champions
2011 Mid-West Division Regular Season Champions
2011 OHL Memorial Cup Participant
hockeyhockeyhockey

Postby CHL Watcher on Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:45 am

I don't trust this. If I owned this team DD would be explaining or leaving. Gill would then have a new boss....because you can't explain this....and maybe a fire would be lit under Gill. If not....then bbb-bye. If I was Gill I'd be calling my make believe buddy and asking why I was set up.

I think it's time we got with the program. Let's change the topic and start speculating on how cheaply Suzuki and Gajodvich and the rest will go over to London (or wherever). I bet we'll be flabbergasted/shocked/amazed/angry/spitting mad at the fire sale.

Much like when he traded a top scorer with a year or two remaining for an expendable OA and with the outlandish Blandisi trade......he's a hit and miss guy now. A great big fluke. The scouts are doing the heavy lifting. DD is expendable.

Set up to fail.....

or is McNiven returning?

:lol:
CHL Watcher

Postby BearStrike on Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:03 am

Like any player, coach or GM in Major Jr Hockey I am sure DD aspires to move up to the next level.
This season is well documented and has to set DD back a few notches. IMO this really hurts him.

Without knowing the impossible I would bank on ZB still being here if he had not left the team.
I say that because DD failure to recognize when he made the trade and early after, that he was in trouble
Is screaming in bold uppercase txt.

I still believe in my heart, we have no X factor behind the bench.

Beat strike
BearStrike

Postby CHL Watcher on Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:09 am

Well, maybe he's not very good at this after all?

Okay, I'll give you that. Pure trust. Blind faith. I feel a bit silly doing it at this point, but okay.
CHL Watcher

Postby Digger on Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:22 pm

Attack drop their sixth straight in loss to Guelph
Greg Cowan, Pincher Creek Echo
By Greg Cowan, Owen Sound Sun Times
Friday, December 8, 2017 10:25:55 EST PM

The Attack dropped their sixth-straight game losing 6-3 to the Storm in Guelph on Friday night.

Owen Sound’s stretch of six games against Midwest opponents has not gone well, to say the least. They entered December sitting second in the division and now are in the third spot with London nipping at their heels.

A rough and perhaps unlucky start for the 16-year-old Mack Guzda and the Attack when under four minutes into the game a puck deflected off a stick and into the Owen Sound net. Mason Primeau was eventually given credit for the goal, just his second of the season.

Guzda was playing in his thirteenth game of the of the year. He is the youngest Attack goalie to play that many games since Jordan Binnington played 22 in 2009-10 at 16 years of age.

The Attack goalie showed why he was a second-round pick earlier this spring when moments later he made an athletic stop to stump a Storm two-on-one.

Sean Durzi then capitalized putting Owen Sound on the board with a bullet for his 14th of the season.

The Attack’s surging defenceman was matched less than two minutes later by Guelph’s Ryan Merkley who extended his seven-game point streak with his eighth goal of the year.

Owen Sound evened the score once more as team captain Jacob Friend took a turn scoring from the point.

The two teams were locked at two goals apiece after one.

The Attack fired 18 shots on goal in the first period.

“We’re producing offensively,” said Jonah Gadjovich before practice this week. “We just need to now find a way to get these wins.”

Gadjovich’s nine-game point streak came to an end on Friday night. The power forward goes to an interesting source for help in becoming a net-front force - a man who is normally focused on keeping the puck out.

“I’ll talk with the goalie coach,” he said. “Get some input, it’s all about where to shoot in tight and how to play the angles in close.”

“It’s definitely something you can work on, you just have to have the patience for it. You’ve got to be willing to take a couple pucks too,” Gadjovich said.

The two teams would trade powerplay goals in the second period with the Attack’s Maksim Sushko scoring his 15th of the season at 3:08 before Liam Hawel answered back for the Storm at 13:58.

Owen Sound players and fans are going to have nightmares featuring Barret Kirwin. Kirwin, who scored a hat-trick in the last meeting between these two teams, setup Cedric Ralph for his 12th of the season at 9:07 in the third period. Kincardine native Garrett McFadden picked up an assist on the goal, and would add two more in the game.

Kirwin’s insurance marker for the Storm at 17:32 and Nate Schnarr’s empty-net goal moments later sealed the Storm victory - their third of the season against Owen Sound.

When Gadjovich returned from injury earlier this season he talked about simplifying his game.

“Sometimes you have to slow the game down and take what’s given to you,” he said. “It’s a steady progression from here. As long as we keep taking steps forward.”

The Attack took a step back in Guelph on Friday and throughout this losing streak. They’ll have a chance to bounce-back against Flint on Saturday, a Firebirds team who is looking for a way to get back into the Western conference playoff picture.

It was Daniil Vertiy’s first game as an Attack player, he opened up play for his third Ontario Hockey League team wearing number 13 and registering two shots.

Markus Phillips was back in the Attack lineup. Phillips left the game last Saturday following a high and late hit from the Storm’s Zach Poirier. Poirier has been suspended four games for the hit, he’ll return on December 16.

Guzda stopped 29 of 34 shots while Anthony Popovich got in front of 42 of the Attack’s 45 shots.

Owen Sound now returns home to the Harry Lumley Bayshore Community Centre where they welcome Connor Roberts and the Flint Firebirds on Saturday, puck drop is at 7:30 p.m.
Digger
Digger

Return to Electric Ice Forum