electric ice fans IMO our problems might be solved

A forum for all fans of the Owen Sound Attack of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Digger, waudby

electric ice fans IMO our problems might be solved

Postby cooter on Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:14 am

IMO I think a trade has already being made for a goaltender and maybe others, but it has to wait till after Jan. 1st.
Me thinks our first round pick this year is part of the deal.
I think this because DD has not done anything to improve our situation, and is waiting for Jan.
There is never a right way to do the wrong thing.
cooter

Re: electric ice fans IMO our problems might be solved

Postby CHL Watcher on Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:51 am

Maybe.

I think it would have been better for all concerned if he just said I've been working on a few things and gave the fans something to hang onto.

Silence is great when you're keeping a secret, but it's no secret that they need a goalie.....so why act like it's impossible?

It's no secret that a trade has to happen.

I do hope something is in the works. I'm not keen on trading first rounders for anyone but you know who.
CHL Watcher

Postby attackisback on Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:07 am

He really doesn’t owe the internet followers anything by saying anything either
attackisback

Postby Pitou on Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:49 pm

attackisback wrote:He really doesn’t owe the internet followers anything by saying anything either

So he owes the fans nothing eh? We should just shut up and pay to sit our butts in the seats like happy little lemmings and hope for the best in a vacuum while he collects his salary. Yes, fan communication would really be a horrible thing, wouldn't it? Fans = customers. If your TV cable or satellite wasn't working as it should you would happily keep paying with no expectation of courtesy communication. And should you call, they owe you nothing as long as they're working on it. Just obediently keep paying ?

Or does your comment only refer to "internet" fans, because clearly they are discernible different entities from real fans.
Your unwavering defence of all things Attack is admirable. Laughable at times, but admirable.
Pitou

Postby CHL Watcher on Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:56 pm

"internet fans"

I only know one too-young dinosaur who talks that way.

I wonder...

Which reminds me of the real reason I said I wouldn't post here anymore. I don't get paid to be hassled on this site by people too close to the organisation in one form or another. Pom poms. The site is for discussion and speculation, which is always going to be a bit dicey compared to the truth. The very reason for such places is lack of real communication....and real fan interest in the team.

There are maybe three people who have a monopoly on bringing that information to fans. Those three need to do a little more.....
CHL Watcher

Postby Digger on Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:19 pm

attackisback wrote:He really doesn’t owe the internet followers anything by saying anything either

I don't think it's just interent fans wondering just what the heck is going on with the team.

I know SSM would not deal Raymakers here at the start of the year because they were concerned with playing against him in the playoffs. Wonder if they have the same concern?

Erie has 3 goalies now, heck I would settle for Timpano at this point in the year.
Digger
Digger

Postby Annan_Man on Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:19 am

I certainly hope Dale has put a condition in this potential trade that if we are at or near last place in the conference it doesn't go through. With the potential of Suzuki, Gadjovich and Sushko all being gone over the WJ break there is a real possibility that could be where we are in the standings come January. If that is the case I hope Dale sells Gadjovich and stocks up on some picks, rides Guzda for the year.

After early hype wore off me, Bowman didn't turn into the saviour Dale hoped, and no goalie was bronght in I have come to see that the reality was last year was our "go for it", and we made a good run to the conference finals. Paying a huge price for a goalie if we are at or near last place IMO would be a mistake.
Annan_Man

Postby Pitou on Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:18 am

As frustrated as I have become with the situation, I don't think the Attack are beyond turning this around. I think the goaltending situation affects the team more than just saves...or lack thereof. Confidence can be a fickle lady and can bleed through every positon. They can get it back as quickly as they seemed to have lost it. The intangibles that come with good goaltending cannot be overstated.

I don't think we'll see a crop like this on paper for at least another 3-4 year cycle, with the assumption of continued good drafting. I still think the Attack can be good enough to beat anyone, with maybe the exception of SSM who every team in the league has not been able to figure out as late.

I still vote for trying to turn the ship around. Better to have tried and failed, than to never have tried at all. Status quo would be disappointing and a waste. I don't think they are as far off as their record indicates lately.

If there has been a plan, I'm okay with it. It's the passive silence from the front office that leads to frustrations. We're not asking for compromising board room details here.
Pitou

Postby stevey on Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:24 pm

Pitou wrote:s frustrated as I have become with the situation, I don't think the Attack are beyond turning this around. I think the goaltending situation affects the team more than just saves...or lack thereof. Confidence can be a fickle lady and can bleed through every positon. They can get it back as quickly as they seemed to have lost it. The intangibles that come with good goaltending cannot be overstated.

I don't think we'll see a crop like this on paper for at least another 3-4 year cycle, with the assumption of continued good drafting. I still think the Attack can be good enough to beat anyone, with maybe the exception of SSM who every team in the league has not been able to figure out as late.

I still vote for trying to turn the ship around. Better to have tried and failed, than to never have tried at all. Status quo would be disappointing and a waste. I don't think they are as far off as their record indicates lately.

If there has been a plan, I'm okay with it. It's the passive silence from the front office that leads to frustrations. We're not asking for compromising board room details here.

I agree as bad as it seems if you look at the Standings Soo and Sarnia have opened up a lead the Rangers are 10 pts ahead not insurmountable.Everyone else is grouped together if we could get that mystical .900 SV % we could have home ice by playoff time and with the team we have could have a nice run.
stevey

Postby Annan_Man on Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:16 pm

Pitou wrote:I don't think we'll see a crop like this on paper for at least another 3-4 year cycle, with the assumption of continued good drafting. I still think the Attack can be good enough to beat anyone, with maybe the exception of SSM who every team in the league has not been able to figure out as late.

But in hindsight would you not agree that last years team was better? And if put in the league situation we are in now (more parity) would have been an even great contender. Also I don't think we are just a .900 save % away from running with the Soo and Sarnia. Another top 6 forward is likely required. Do we realistically have the assets to get both those ingredients. We don't have any 3rd round picks in the next 3 years and no extra 2nd's.
Annan_Man

Postby stevey on Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:07 am

.[/quote]

But in hindsight would you not agree that last years team was better? And if put in the league situation we are in now (more parity) would have been an even great contender. Also I don't think we are just a .900 save % away from running with the Soo and Sarnia. Another top 6 forward is likely required. Do we realistically have the assets to get both those ingredients. We don't have any 3rd round picks in the next 3 years and no extra 2nd's.[/quote]

You may be right we may be more than a .900% goalie from competing with those teams but selling off isn't usually an option with this team. While there are alot of us loyal fans there are probably more fickle fan's and being the small market team in the Sportsnet article, Playoff revenue and keeping the fickle fans spending there money is key. If we sold off our top non returning players and tanked there would be lot's of seats available next year as many people don't understand the concept. Revenue would likely suffer and that probably won't be allowed to happen. One round of playoffs and the excitement it brings generates revenue now and keeps fans interested for next year.It's too bad we didn't have that goalie from the start we would be up there with those teams.
stevey

Postby Pitou on Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:32 pm

Annan_Man wrote:
Pitou wrote:I don't think we'll see a crop like this on paper for at least another 3-4 year cycle, with the assumption of continued good drafting. I still think the Attack can be good enough to beat anyone, with maybe the exception of SSM who every team in the league has not been able to figure out as late.

But in hindsight would you not agree that last years team was better? And if put in the league situation we are in now (more parity) would have been an even great contender. Also I don't think we are just a .900 save % away from running with the Soo and Sarnia. Another top 6 forward is likely required. Do we realistically have the assets to get both those ingredients. We don't have any 3rd round picks in the next 3 years and no extra 2nd's.

It is tougher to make an apples to apples comparison with a coaching change. Goaltending is the biggest difference, the other roster losses are minimized a bit by maturity of others stepping up. Although Palmu's offence was not replaced, offence is not the issue. The GA need to come down and it's not all goaltending. Last year the Attack developed into a well oiled machine and made the most of their assets. I have not gotten that same sense yet this year. Maybe Todd Gill can get them there, maybe he can't. My concern is the slow decline in special teams, from even earlier this season. There is either regression or development at a slower pace than others.

I think Centorame is missed more than we give credit for. He was quietly efficient, which good defencemen do. I do agree, we are more than just a goalie away, but that is the single most glaring Achilles heel that must be addressed, short of a sell-off decision. I think another quality O/A and/or import may help and may not necessarily break the bank. Is there another James Cordell-like deal out there somewhere? Let's hope.
Pitou

Postby Annan_Man on Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:09 pm

stevey wrote:.

But in hindsight would you not agree that last years team was better? And if put in the league situation we are in now (more parity) would have been an even great contender. Also I don't think we are just a .900 save % away from running with the Soo and Sarnia. Another top 6 forward is likely required. Do we realistically have the assets to get both those ingredients. We don't have any 3rd round picks in the next 3 years and no extra 2nd's.[/quote]

You may be right we may be more than a .900% goalie from competing with those teams but selling off isn't usually an option with this team. While there are alot of us loyal fans there are probably more fickle fan's and being the small market team in the Sportsnet article, Playoff revenue and keeping the fickle fans spending there money is key. If we sold off our top non returning players and tanked there would be lot's of seats available next year as many people don't understand the concept. Revenue would likely suffer and that probably won't be allowed to happen. One round of playoffs and the excitement it brings generates revenue now and keeps fans interested for next year.It's too bad we didn't have that goalie from the start we would be up there with those teams.[/quote]

I totally agree. Our market and team needs to put a quality product year after year and I have stated that in many threads. I have not suggested a complete sell off this year. But I would be looking to move Gadjovich at this time as he will not be back next year and could fetch some picks to stock the cover. I don't want to see him go that's for sure but I think it might be wise to do so.
Annan_Man

Postby Digger on Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:18 pm

Annan_Man wrote:
stevey wrote:.

You may be right we may be more than a .900% goalie from competing with those teams but selling off isn't usually an option with this team. While there are alot of us loyal fans there are probably more fickle fan's and being the small market team in the Sportsnet article, Playoff revenue and keeping the fickle fans spending there money is key. If we sold off our top non returning players and tanked there would be lot's of seats available next year as many people don't understand the concept. Revenue would likely suffer and that probably won't be allowed to happen. One round of playoffs and the excitement it brings generates revenue now and keeps fans interested for next year.It's too bad we didn't have that goalie from the start we would be up there with those teams.[/quote]

I totally agree. Our market and team needs to put a quality product year after year and I have stated that in many threads. I have not suggested a complete sell off this year. But I would be looking to move Gadjovich at this time as he will not be back next year and could fetch some picks to stock the cover. I don't want to see him go that's for sure but I think it might be wise to do so.[/quote]

I agree this years team does not have the same skill as last years team in the forward and goaltnding areas especially. OA's this year do not have the same skill and our 19 yr olds are not as skilled either.

Most people would have had Campbell and the guy with all the zzzzz's scoring more than what we have seen to date. Same with Szypula with only 3 goals.
Digger
Digger

Postby CHL Watcher on Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:35 pm

If there was steady goaltending then any other issues could have been dealt with.....even to the point of dealing those guys away to make it happen.

Obfuscating....

is easy when you make it easy by design.

Now we will never, ever know.....

Keeping everyone fat, dumb, and slightly amused.....while ensuring a fiasco ensues isn't my idea of planning.

Maybe they can manage 30 wins. Just as long as they stay out of the way of the 'big dogs'.
CHL Watcher

Return to Electric Ice Forum