Attack lose in shootout to Kingston

A forum for all fans of the Owen Sound Attack of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Digger, waudby

Postby Digger on Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:45 am

Greg Cowan, Pincher Creek Echo
By Greg Cowan, Owen Sound Sun Times

Saturday, December 16, 2017 11:27:30 EST PM

The Attack won the possession battle, they won the battle on the shot clock and the battle of the brawn, but they lost 2-1 in a shootout to the Kingston Frontenacs in Owen Sound on Saturday night.

Owen Sound was unable to score on five powerplay attempts and could not solve Kingston goaltender Jeremy Helvig in overtime, or the shootout, to capitalize on their performance in front of the hometown fans.

“It’s getting old, but I thought we played well enough to win the game,” said Coach Todd Gill. “When you get into these kind of situations the easiest thing to do is to quit, and none of those kids have quit yet.”

It didn’t take long for Owen Sound to open the scoring. Ethan Szypula got the Attack going at 2:55 in the first period, but it was the only puck to get behind Helvig.

The six-foot-four goaltender stopped 36 of the Attack’s 37 shots and both shootout attempts from Nick Suzuki and Aidan Dudas.

The game took a physical turn when midway through the first period Kingston’s Tyler Burnie caught Sean Durzi with a hit as Durzi tried to settle down the puck in his own zone. The Attack’s skilled defender lay injured on the ice, bloodied, and did not return.

Gill thought the hit was high.

“I just can’t believe it wasn’t called,” he said. “I have the luxury of seeing it on video, they don’t. They have to make a split decision, but when four guys miss it that’s what I am a little upset about.”

Jacob Friend tried for retribution later in the period, but Burnie wouldn’t answer the bell, so teammate Ryan Cranford stepped up and the fists were flying soon there after.

“Our powerplay obviously didn’t come up tonight and a lot of that is because No. 5 (Durzi) wasn’t on it,” said Gill.

Olivier Lafreniere started his first game for the Attack following a trade from Ottawa on Wednesday and was eased into his tenure as Kingston only managed three shots in the first.

Kingston would find the back of the net in the second period however when Linus Nyman scooped up a puck in the feet of an Attack defender and wired it past Lafreniere’s trapper.

“There were two bodies in front of me. I heard a couple of slashes. I was leaning left and right trying to find it moving my head but trying to stay in position at the same time,” the goalie recapped following the game. “At the last second I saw it whistle by my glove.”

Nick Suzuki, freshly returned from team Canada’s world junior selection camp, had three opportunities all alone in on Helvig throughout the game - including his shootout attempt - only to have the puck roll on his stick before firing.

“I know that Nick is a very elite player and I know the guys have the upmost confidence in him,” said Lafreniere. “If anything it’s a tough bounce, the ice was a bit chippy, it happens to the best of us.”

Lafreniere stopped 19 of Kingston’s 20 shots including two breakaway opportunities, but couldn’t stop shootout attempts from Matt Hotchkiss and Jason Robertson.

It was only Lafreniere’s second crack at the shootout in the Ontario Hockey League, coincidentally his first came against the Frontenacs last season.

“I just hate when two teams play as hard as they can and lose where the entire team doesn’t get a say,” said Gill after the shootout. “But, that’s the way it is.”

“We just have to keep plugging away,” he added.

A quick turnaround for Owen Sound who return Sunday to the Harry Lumley Bayshore Community Centre to host the London Knights, game time is 2 p.m.
Digger
Digger

Re: Attack lose in shootout to Kingston

Postby Digger on Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:55 am

I agree with the coach this is getting old. Kingston gets a win in a game they were beaten.

Friday Kingston loses to Guelph. The Attack PP was great in Barrie scoring 3 goals with Suzuki and Sushko out of the and against Kingston looked terrible.

The new goalie looked solid and deserved a win.

It's a mean game at times and last night was a good example
Digger
Digger

Postby hockeyhockeyhockey on Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:02 am

Yes, I thought Olie played solid.

It seems like when one things going, something else is not.
your Owen Sound Attack...

2011 OHL Champions
2011 Western Conference Champions
2011 Mid-West Division Regular Season Champions
2011 OHL Memorial Cup Participant
hockeyhockeyhockey

Postby attackisback on Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:07 am

A loss today to London and the writing is on the wall. Trade the assets (gadg) and try and remain in the playoffs
attackisback

Postby cooter on Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:36 pm

I half to agree, this season is not the time to go for it.
They need to aquire draft picks and trade Gad and Friend to get them as well as dumping our OAs and playing the young guys.
There is never a right way to do the wrong thing.
cooter

Postby hockeyhockeyhockey on Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:02 pm

Those hockey pundits who predicted a top finish for the team have damned it to failure.

The hurt wouldn't be nearly so hard to take if we didn't have such a mittful of elite talent.

It's like your best buddy stealing your girlfriend. You just can't reconcile it.

Out of the ashes rides Lefrenniere, and puts in two all star performances, only to be shortchanged by an entire lineup, 3rd top scoring in the league, that muster all of one goal in 125 minutes of play ?

Bah, humbug !!!
your Owen Sound Attack...

2011 OHL Champions
2011 Western Conference Champions
2011 Mid-West Division Regular Season Champions
2011 OHL Memorial Cup Participant
hockeyhockeyhockey

Postby attackisback on Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:46 pm

Shows how bad the goaltending has been if a 13 save loss and a shootout loss are deemed all star performances.
attackisback

Postby PL8R G8R on Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:34 pm

Looks like Tyler Burnie of Kingston was given an 8 game suspension for his hit on Durzi. It's funny how 4 officials missed the call.
L8R....The G8R
PL8R G8R

Postby Floger on Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:59 pm

I knew that was a head shot!! The ref said it was his visor that cut him. Wonder how the visor got that close to his nose???
Floger

Return to Electric Ice Forum