trade deadline talk

A forum for all fans of the Owen Sound Attack of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Digger, waudby

Re: trade deadline talk

Postby stevey on Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:20 am

Through all of this I am really only disappointed in one thing and that is the fact that our goaltending issue was underestimated at the start of the year. If this problem had been addressed with a legitimate starting goalie at the beginning I believe the rest of our issues would be non issues. Yes SSM is a beast and in a league of there own but really with a .900 sv % goalie noone else scares me. That mistake in Sept IMHO was the shot that put this team on it's knees. I said before and I'LL say again maybe the deal last year for DiPietro would have been a good idea.I can only imagine how Guzda would have developed with DiPietro helping him this year because I have saw improvment in his game.
stevey

Postby labdog on Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:50 am

It was Windsor who would not deal....owen sound offered 40 plus two 2nds.....windsor wanted no part
labdog

Postby BearStrike on Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:12 pm

Trade deadline last year.....

I was throwing back a cup of coffee when my phone rang saying the deal was done, 40 for Dipietro plus 2 picks (not sure of where the picks were)
When it didn't go down, I called back and the reply was Windsor upped their price at the last minute, with no time to really think it through.

Stevey and Hockeyfan99..................excellent posts!

Bearstrike
BearStrike

Postby attackisback on Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:39 pm

https://www.therecord.com/sports-story/ ... the-deals/

The OHL 21: Dissecting the deals
SPORTS Jan 10, 2018 by Josh Brown Waterloo Region Record
Thomas boosts Bulldogs
Robert Thomas, seen here with Canada's world junior hockey squad last month, went from London to Hamilton and was one of several big names moved before the OHL trade deadline. - Canadian Press File Photo

KITCHENER — The swap-a-thon is over.

The Ontario Hockey League's trade deadline ended Wednesday at noon and it was an eventful run to the buzzer.

Every team made at least one deal once the trade freeze was lifted on Dec. 28. Since then, there were 28 total exchanges involving 47 players and 87 draft picks.

Let's dive in.

1. Barrie was set to be the only OHL team not to make a move before sneaking one in right before the deadline. The Colts swapped Russians with Sudbury but got the higher-scoring one in Dmitry Sokolov. The Wolves only win if Alexey Lipanov, who went the other way, returns next season. But he has American Hockey League options.

2. There were no surprises in Erie. The team traded forward Taylor Raddysh and defenceman Jordan Sambrook for what it needed most — draft picks, and lots of them. But they also added two good, young players in Luke Beamish and Hayden Fowler.

3. The Flint Firebirds netted three seconds, three thirds, a fifth and prospect Connor Roberts by trading veterans Kole Sherwood, Nicholas Caamano and Ryan Moore earlier in the season. But, with prices high at the deadline, they may have received more had they waited.

4. Count the Guelph Storm as players next season along with Oshawa, Niagara and Saginaw. This year they kept it tame but did make rivals the Kitchener Rangers pay a handsome price — three seconds — for Detroit Red Wings prospect Givani Smith.

5. The Hamilton Bulldogs went from offensively challenged to one of the most dangerous teams in the league. Adding Robert Thomas was massive and keeps the Pups at the top of the pack in the East. But fans better hope it works out because the club dished out tons of draft picks for the chance at a title.

6. The Kingston Frontenacs were the surprise player and maybe the biggest winner. Cliff Pu, Sean Day, Max Jones and Gabriel Vilardi are quite the haul. And they managed to keep coveted keeper Jeremy Helvig. It came at a cost, though, one that should be easier to swallow with an East banner hanging in the rafters.

With the finish line in sight, Chan finds...
7. It was an effective deadline for the Kitchener Rangers as they crossed four needs off their checklist — elite centre, veteran rearguard, grit and some help in net. They have the depth to challenge in the West but will it be enough to take out Sault Ste. Marie and Sarnia? That's the question.

8. Rebuild and London are two words you don't often see in the same sentence. But the Knights are certainly looking to the future after dealing Cliff Pu, Robert Thomas, Max Jones and Sam Miletic. London got a good return for its stars so the turnaround won't take long, though it may still be two years away.

9. They kind of sold. They kind of bought. But, this season, I'm not sure what the Mississauga Steelheads are. The Fish are hoping a second-half surge erases a dreadful start. They made a late move last year and have some horses yet again but failing to keep pace with other East contenders is going to hurt down the stretch.

10. At last check, I was told Niagara was happy to sit back and watch its East competition empty the bank so it could pounce next season. Then it gives three second-round draft picks to London for overage forward Sam Miletic. Advantage Knights on that one.

11. North Bay trades Brett McKenzie and then replaces him with ex-Rangers F Jake Henderson. Hendo doesn't have the offensive upside of Mac but he's a smart player that will thrive for the Troops in all sorts of ways. Meanwhile, North Bay gets paid handsomely in the McKenzie and Cam Dineen swaps.

12. Oshawa didn't add any players but did get a fistful of picks for rearguard Riley Stillman, who went to Hamilton. The Gens will be more active in the next two years as they surround their 1999-2000-born blossoming core with pieces to put them over the top.

13. The Peter Stratis trade to Sudbury was a bit confusing. I get that Ottawa had excess rearguards and needed to make a move. But the 67's essentially got the same return that London did for Miletic, who has half a season left. Stratis, a 2016 first-round pick, could play for another 3½ years.

14. Owen Sound added a nice piece in overager centre Brett McKenzie but injuries are killing the Attack right now. In hindsight, maybe it should have kept goalie Christian Propp instead of flipping him to North Bay. Regardless, when healthy, I still wouldn't want to play the Attack in the opening round of the playoffs.

15. Maybe trading Jonathan Ang for Brady Hinz will help fire up the struggling Petes. But Peterborough's deadline stance — was it a buyer or seller? — has to be confusing for fans. In the end, the Petes are pretty much the same team, not better or worse.

16. I like Saginaw's move to get Detroit Red Wings prospect Reilly Webb from Hamilton. The Spirit is young, talented, well coached and will likely leapfrog London and Windsor in the West standings. Webb will be an anchor on the club's blue line next season when the Spirit make a real push.

17. Sarnia was busy. And the Sting addressed some glaring needs in adding a veteran defenceman (Cam Dineen), scoring depth (Jonathan Ang) and extra leadership (former Wolves captain Michael Pezzetta). Half the team could be gone next season so this is the year.

18. What to say about the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds? The Canadian Hockey League's top team only got better with the addition of Raddysh and Sambrook from the defending OHL champion Erie Otters. The Soo loaded up three years back and it didn't work out. This time it feels different.

19. Sudbury is doing its best to win the first-overall pick in this year's OHL draft. Captain dealt. Leading scorer dealt. Starting goalie dealt. Yeah, there was an extra OA that needed to go but it's shaping up to be an ugly second half for the Wolves. At least they got Stratis from Ottawa for the right price.

20. That empty draft-pick cupboard in Windsor is now full and the Spits have some really nice pieces to build around after dismantling last year's Memorial Cup-winning roster. And the bounty will only increase if they opt to trade goalie Michael DiPietro next season.

21. There will be no shortage of trade bait at next year's deadline especially up front. Some names that could be out there include forwards Morgan Frost, Matthew Strome, MacKenzie Entwistle, Ryan McLeod, Ivan Lodnia, Nick Suzuki and Jason Robertson.

jbrown@therecord.com ,

Twitter: @BrownRecord
attackisback

Postby stevey on Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:36 pm

labdog wrote:It was Windsor who would not deal....owen sound offered 40 plus two 2nds.....windsor wanted no part

The deal that I was told Windsor upped at last minute to 40, Sean Durzi and I believe 2 2nd's and a 3rd for DiPietro.
stevey

Postby hockeyhockeyhockey on Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:57 am

The hockey God's have not been kind this year.
The injury carousel continues to whirl.

Hancock back, Gadjo out.
Roberts done for the year, who knows if /when Olie plays again and if he can finish the season on a wonky groin .
your Owen Sound Attack...

2011 OHL Champions
2011 Western Conference Champions
2011 Mid-West Division Regular Season Champions
2011 OHL Memorial Cup Participant
hockeyhockeyhockey

Postby hllywd99 on Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:58 am

This team is a mess!

Dale Degray got hosed on every move he made and this team has gotten worse since the first week of the season and maybe will be playing catch up for seasons to come.
........."FRACKEN A BABY! FRACKEN A!".............

......Andrew Shaw @ 11:09 pm 06/24/2013.......

.....TD Gardens in Boston, Mass.....
hllywd99

Postby hockeyhockeyhockey on Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:44 am

Current season trades notwithstanding ( I'm getting fatigued thinking any further about them) , the issue goes straight to trading of picks far into the future. It has been ramping up for some time now, but turned into a wildfire last season.

The Spits hosting the Memorial Cup, had to guarantee a competitive club and were short on talent and depth due to sanctions from their previous indiscretions.
Rychel used some 'creativity' and traded picks for players, in some cases a decade forward. I'm not sure the league can or will do anything to curb this. Unless enough teams decide to control the trading of draft picks well into the future it will remain. Teams seem to have got on board, its' like buying stuff you can't afford on your credit card, and worrying about payback some other time . Degray's big splash in the futures market involved drafting Victor Mete, and using the returns to build a good nucleus . But he stopped there. And it was a one off for him.

In reality it takes future currency and redistributes it. As long as teams are willing to pay exhorbinant prices now, others will take advantage and sooner or later the wealth around the league will be re-distributed, and likely create some dynasties. For the sellers it can instantly fill their 'savings account' with assets they will use when they deem it's their 'turn'.

Those who don't participate ,rightly or wrongly, will get left in the dust. They just wont have the assets required when needed to bolster their roster. Apparently the prices for a goaltender were too high this season , despite having a pretty good roster on the ice. Do you think the prices will go down next year, or the year after ? It'll take even more futures to buy a goalie, or scorer as teams inflate prices by trading with this acculated wealth.

I think this is the quandary Degray and the Attack find themselves in. He has always prided himself on picking and developing talent in house. The last three drafts have yielded some of the best collective talent we've ever seen. I'm not sure if that model can continue to flourish in the current league environment. Teams don't need to hang on to players to develop any more. With younger owners and managers, they want instant gratification, so buying and selling players at will has become the norm.

It is quickly becoming apparent that in order to win a championship, you must be willing to gamble big to quickly build a winner.

The Attack got caught somewhat unaware, and quckly to boot. McNiven's imminent departure, and the team's failure to development a replacement has lead to the situation the team is in today. Guzda hopefully will be that guy, just two years from now.

The choice is up to Degray and the Attack how they choose to react This may be a critical juncture in the team , in this league landscape. I just don't see the rest of the league going back to what used to be, so perhaps it's time for the Attack to embrace the change and move forward, successfully with it.

In life those who survive are most able to adapt.
your Owen Sound Attack...

2011 OHL Champions
2011 Western Conference Champions
2011 Mid-West Division Regular Season Champions
2011 OHL Memorial Cup Participant
hockeyhockeyhockey

Postby cubby01 on Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:07 am

Good post H3. The Darwin theory of building a winner. Even the Soo, who usually build from the draft, bought into this new normal this year. And look at the team that they have now. The only way that we maybe get back on track is to unload some talent next year and build that stash of future picks. Sadly I don't see that happening.
cubby01

Postby Pitou on Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:25 pm

Aside from Suzuki, assuming Gadj is not a returnee next year (pretty safe bet he won't be), I'm not even sure the Attack will have many blue chip players to deal next year, who will command a massive "payday". As I mentioned in an earlier post, it is not as though Dale has hoarded his picks either. They just got whittled away slowly for stop gap players... a few here...a few there, with more picks going out than coming in. Despite the "conservative" approach, the Attack are far from swimming in the benefits of a stocked cupboard because of it. The team right now is caught in no-man's land of neither a contender or a re-build. I predict some lean times ahead.

I have generally been a supporter of DeGray but I think he missed the mark of a definitive plan over the past few seasons. If there was a plan, it's well hidden to me.
Pitou

Postby hllywd99 on Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:45 pm

Pitou wrote:Aside from Suzuki, assuming Gadj is not a returnee next year (pretty safe bet he won't be), I'm not even sure the Attack will have many blue chip players to deal next year, who will command a massive "payday". As I mentioned in an earlier post, it is not as though Dale has hoarded his picks either. They just got whittled away slowly for stop gap players... a few here...a few there, with more picks going out than coming in. Despite the "conservative" approach, the Attack are far from swimming in the benefits of a stocked cupboard because of it. The team right now is caught in no-man's land of neither a contender or a re-build. I predict some lean times ahead.

I have generally been a supporter of DeGray but I think he missed the mark of a definitive plan over the past few seasons. If there was a plan, it's well hidden to me.

^^This^^

hllywd99

Postby hllywd99 on Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:54 pm

attackisback wrote:http://bayshorebroadcasting.ca/news_item.php?NewsID=98787

Wednesday, January 10, 2018
Deadline Done
Owen Sound | by Fred Wallace

Interview with Attack General Manager Dale DeGray

3:02
/ 5:53

The Ontario Hockey League Trade Deadline expired at noon.

The Owen Sound Attack did not make a transaction with another OHL team on the final day of trading.

After the deadline passed, Fred Wallace spoke to Attack General Manager Dale DeGray about various aspects of the trading season, starting with a report out of Peterborough this morning that indicated the Attack were going " hard " to acquire Petes netminder Dylan Wells.

Interesting that he mentions the board of governors in this interview, I think that they have the same questions that many of the fans and posters on this forum have and at the end of this season he will have to explain how such promise has turned into such a disaster.

hllywd99

Postby Eagle Vision on Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:57 pm

Staying with the original plan when it's not working versions 1 & 2.

I'm going to simplify this.

Staying with the original plan VERSION 1:

The kids (12-year-olds) are skating around in a cluster chasing the puck, and not playing man on man. When I try to teach them man-on-man, sometimes they'll leave the player alone with the puck directly in front of our net, and because of that we're losing games. I want them to stick to playing man-on-man coverage. It may take a while but eventually it'll pay off.

Staying with the original plan VERSION II:

We drafted player A with our first round pick 3 years' back. We're grooming him to be our top centre, he's struggling to distribute the puck and score, but we're forcing him out every power play, and hoping that something jump starts his offense. We drafted player B with an 8th rounder, he's a late bloomer or something. He's one of our top scorers' but he struggles against the other team's top line, when he learns to be better defensively on our top checking unit, his plus/minus will improve. We're focusing his special teams time on the PK and not allowing power play time.

I think that sticking with the plan version 1, shows commitment to a longer-term goal. Short-term pain for longer term gain.

While sticking with the plan version 2, is more stubbornness. The parameters around the original plan failed. That's understood, and onward and upward. Either alter the plan, or alter the goal, once the situation changes. I admire those to stick to their original plans, but there's a fine line between being patient and stubborn. Crossing it can be very costly.
Tom Conaway circa 2000 - "At times goals were harder to come by than teachers at a Mike Harris pep rally."

Updates: Final Exhibition stats posted, game summary for Sep 14th game in Barrie
Eagle Vision

Postby Pitou on Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:48 pm

Eagle Vision wrote:Staying with the original plan when it's not working versions 1 & 2.

The kids (12-year-olds) are skating around in a cluster chasing the puck, and not playing man on man. When I try to teach them man-on-man, sometimes they'll leave the player alone with the puck directly in front of our net, and because of that we're losing games. I want them to stick to playing man-on-man coverage. It may take a while but eventually it'll pay off.

We drafted player A with our first round pick 3 years' back. We're grooming him to be our top centre, he's struggling to distribute the puck and score, but we're forcing him out every power play, and hoping that something jump starts his offense. We drafted player B with an 8th rounder, he's a late bloomer or something. He's one of our top scorers' but he struggles against the other team's top line, when he learns to be better defensively on our top checking unit, his plus/minus will improve. We're focusing his special teams time on the PK and not allowing power play time.

I think that sticking with the plan version 1, shows commitment to a longer-term goal. Short-term pain for longer term gain.

While sticking with the plan version 2, is more stubbornness. The parameters around the original plan failed. That's understood, and onward and upward. Either alter the plan, or alter the goal, once the situation changes. I admire those to stick to their original plans, but there's a fine line between being patient and stubborn. Crossing it can be very costly.

Sorry you lost me at "plan". What's a plan? ;)
Pitou

Postby Eagle Vision on Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:55 am

Pitou wrote:
Eagle Vision wrote:Staying with the original plan when it's not working versions 1 & 2.

Sorry you lost me at "plan". What's a plan? ;)

99% sure that you're being sarcastic, but i probably did a horrible job of framing my post for those not religiously devouring everything OHL related, I was referring to this DeGray quote:

“You have to have a plan,” he said. “It’s when you don’t have a plan and fly by the seat of your pants, I just don’t know, I just can’t believe in doing that.”

DeGray’s plan took a hit when goaltender Olivier Lafreniere left Saturday’s game with an injury, just five days before the deadline.

“The only thing that made me blink a little bit,” said DeGray. “If he didn’t tweak his groin against Kitchener that thought process wouldn’t have even entered my head.”
Tom Conaway circa 2000 - "At times goals were harder to come by than teachers at a Mike Harris pep rally."

Updates: Final Exhibition stats posted, game summary for Sep 14th game in Barrie
Eagle Vision

PreviousNext

Return to Electric Ice Forum