trade deadline talk

A forum for all fans of the Owen Sound Attack of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Digger, waudby

Re: trade deadline talk

Postby Annan_Man on Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:15 am

OHL Trade Deadline @ Noon
Owen Sound | by Fred Wallace

Attack Expected To Be Idle




Today at noon is the deadline for trades in the Ontario Hockey League.

It's anticipated that the Owen Sound Attack won't make any alterations as they head to their 3 game Northern road trip starting tomorrow at North Bay.

The Attack will be without captain Jacob Friend who is serving a 4 game suspension, plus there are additional question marks concerning the health of other Attack players.


All 3 games this week will be live on 560 CFOS with Kia of Owen Sound-Terry's Trailer Service Bearadio.

Bearadio is brought to you in part by TG Group Insurance.
Annan_Man
 
Posts: 871
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:18 pm

Re: trade deadline talk

Postby Pitou on Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:50 am

I have mixed feelings about remaining idle today. Perhaps the mountain that is the Soo Greyhounds seemed too intimidating to climb. I don't know. I don't know what the organizational goal is/was? If it isn't to compete this year, then why tinker with some youth/picks for an O/A? I was fine with the McKenzie acquisition as a piece, but not the whole pie. Were the desired deals just not there, too costly or was there any further trades pursued at all?

It is an interesting side discussion on whether the organization can survive a rebuild. Not sure. Depends on the financial health to weather a storm. Myself, I would prefer to endure and ebb and flow, provided there is decent drafting/development. A young team can be exciting to watch, especially if you know there is a rainbow and better times at the end of the storm. Not sure that perennial mediocrity is an effective long term strategy for growing the fan base either. The memory and hope of 2011 will totally fade and the median age at the Bayshore holds the greatest future growth potential for Brian E. Wood and Tanahill.
Pitou
 
Posts: 1090
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:15 pm

Re: trade deadline talk

Postby hockeyhockeyhockey on Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:58 am

Heard Fred say this morning the Attack are interested in Dylan Wells from Ptbo.

Can the team make the playoffs without Olie?
your Owen Sound Attack...

2011 OHL Champions
2011 Western Conference Champions
2011 Mid-West Division Regular Season Champions
2011 OHL Memorial Cup Participant
hockeyhockeyhockey
 
Posts: 2541
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:46 am

Re: trade deadline talk

Postby hockeyhockeyhockey on Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:59 am

Pitou wrote:I have mixed feelings about remaining idle today. Perhaps the mountain that is the Soo Greyhounds seemed too intimidating to climb. I don't know. I don't know what the organizational goal is/was? If it isn't to compete this year, then why tinker with some youth/picks for an O/A? I was fine with the McKenzie acquisition as a piece, but not the whole pie. Were the desired deals just not there, too costly or was there any further trades pursued at all?

It is an interesting side discussion on whether the organization can survive a rebuild. Not sure. Depends on the financial health to weather a storm. Myself, I would prefer to endure and ebb and flow, provided there is decent drafting/development. A young team can be exciting to watch, especially if you know there is a rainbow and better times at the end of the storm. Not sure that perennial mediocrity is an effective long term strategy for growing the fan base either. The memory and hope of 2011 will totally fade and the median age at the Bayshore holds the greatest future growth potential for Brian E. Wood and Tanahill.



US older folks may be OK with status quo, but it's the younger crowd you need to attract.
your Owen Sound Attack...

2011 OHL Champions
2011 Western Conference Champions
2011 Mid-West Division Regular Season Champions
2011 OHL Memorial Cup Participant
hockeyhockeyhockey
 
Posts: 2541
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:46 am

Re: trade deadline talk

Postby Pitou on Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:09 am

hockeyhockeyhockey wrote:
Pitou wrote:I have mixed feelings about remaining idle today. Perhaps the mountain that is the Soo Greyhounds seemed too intimidating to climb. I don't know. I don't know what the organizational goal is/was? If it isn't to compete this year, then why tinker with some youth/picks for an O/A? I was fine with the McKenzie acquisition as a piece, but not the whole pie. Were the desired deals just not there, too costly or was there any further trades pursued at all?

It is an interesting side discussion on whether the organization can survive a rebuild. Not sure. Depends on the financial health to weather a storm. Myself, I would prefer to endure and ebb and flow, provided there is decent drafting/development. A young team can be exciting to watch, especially if you know there is a rainbow and better times at the end of the storm. Not sure that perennial mediocrity is an effective long term strategy for growing the fan base either. The memory and hope of 2011 will totally fade and the median age at the Bayshore holds the greatest future growth potential for Brian E. Wood and Tanahill.



US older folks may be OK with status quo, but it's the younger crowd you need to attract.

I agree 100%. The question is how is that best done. Continued mediocrity playing it safe with no major highs or lows...or rebuilds, mixed in with a competitive team every 3 years or so and hopefully a championship sprinkled in every now and then? 2011 certainly grew some new fan base. Some "fair weather" fans that have retreated I'm sure, but some new ones that are sticking around too.
Pitou
 
Posts: 1090
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:15 pm

Re: trade deadline talk

Postby stevey on Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:11 am

If Ollie is going to be any length oftime I say go for Wells. He is IMHO an upgrade over Ollie. We should make playoffs with Guzda as our guy all the teams that dumped players should fall except London they even thothey sold will still win there share of games.
stevey
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:52 am

Re: trade deadline talk

Postby hockeyhockeyhockey on Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:41 am

No none knows if/when Olie will return. When you read things like'I don't think it's a career ending injury', that's code for this is not good.

The team in front of the blue ice had better pull hard on their socks if it's down to Guzda and Daniels. Otherwise this may well spell the end to successive 30 win seasons
your Owen Sound Attack...

2011 OHL Champions
2011 Western Conference Champions
2011 Mid-West Division Regular Season Champions
2011 OHL Memorial Cup Participant
hockeyhockeyhockey
 
Posts: 2541
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:46 am

Re: trade deadline talk

Postby Annan_Man on Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:18 am

Pitou wrote:
hockeyhockeyhockey wrote:
Pitou wrote:I have mixed feelings about remaining idle today. Perhaps the mountain that is the Soo Greyhounds seemed too intimidating to climb. I don't know. I don't know what the organizational goal is/was? If it isn't to compete this year, then why tinker with some youth/picks for an O/A? I was fine with the McKenzie acquisition as a piece, but not the whole pie. Were the desired deals just not there, too costly or was there any further trades pursued at all?

It is an interesting side discussion on whether the organization can survive a rebuild. Not sure. Depends on the financial health to weather a storm. Myself, I would prefer to endure and ebb and flow, provided there is decent drafting/development. A young team can be exciting to watch, especially if you know there is a rainbow and better times at the end of the storm. Not sure that perennial mediocrity is an effective long term strategy for growing the fan base either. The memory and hope of 2011 will totally fade and the median age at the Bayshore holds the greatest future growth potential for Brian E. Wood and Tanahill.



US older folks may be OK with status quo, but it's the younger crowd you need to attract.

I agree 100%. The question is how is that best done. Continued mediocrity playing it safe with no major highs or lows...or rebuilds, mixed in with a competitive team every 3 years or so and hopefully a championship sprinkled in every now and then? 2011 certainly grew some new fan base. Some "fair weather" fans that have retreated I'm sure, but some new ones that are sticking around too.


I really don't see how you think that we have been mediorce since the championship. We've iced GOOD teams, exciting teams, last year we made it the conference finals, we've had big names. That's what is keeping the younger fans coming and that's what the management sees that is needed to keep those fans coming back. True some are converting from casual to more hardcore, there is a slight demographic shift I agree. But that needs to be continued. Young teams can be exciting but to the casual fan WINNING is the most exciting. Trying to market a losing team full of exciting young players to the non-hardcore fan won't be enough to keep the rink full (or full enough).
Annan_Man
 
Posts: 871
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:18 pm

Re: trade deadline talk

Postby Pitou on Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:57 am

I wasn't suggesting the OS teams specifically have been mediocre of late and perhaps I poorly articulated the general point I was trying to make, which was really more of a question than any point. I was pondering what is best for fan growth and fan satisfaction? There is no one size fits all answer. The flash and dash of extreme sell offs for draft picks/prospects and using the equity to re-build a championship team 3-4 year down the road, or a more tempered approached where you tend to get more consistency in team strength but definitely more difficult to compete with the upper echelon of those teams peaking on their "high" cycle who partiicpate in high priced sell offs and buying. The Attack have done well given their market, no doubt. But IMO, you need the season lows which produce an impact top 5 pick. Erie got where they were because of some key draft years picking high. Yes, McDavid was special, but the point remains the same. If you're always hovering in around a 12th to 16th 1st round pick, you are harder pressed landing that marquee player to build around.

All depends your preference as a fan. I'd prefer a more aggressive roller coaster ride than a merry-go-round myself. Unfortunately it's not my choice.
Pitou
 
Posts: 1090
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:15 pm

Re: trade deadline talk

Postby hockeyhockeyhockey on Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:24 pm

As futures trading becomes the norm, I think those who refuse to opt in will fall further behind.

It'll become like the great depression , all the wealth will be controlled by a few, and the rest line up for soup.
your Owen Sound Attack...

2011 OHL Champions
2011 Western Conference Champions
2011 Mid-West Division Regular Season Champions
2011 OHL Memorial Cup Participant
hockeyhockeyhockey
 
Posts: 2541
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:46 am

Re: trade deadline talk

Postby attackisback on Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:30 pm

good present time scouting can always overcome futures.

Or a bag of money under the table to recruit those "College bound" or "wont report' players
attackisback
 
Posts: 1630
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:15 am

Re: trade deadline talk

Postby hockeyhockeyhockey on Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:32 pm

The Attack leads two divisions in goals scored, and one less than Barrie, who is 1st in central. With decent goaltending we would be a top four team in the league.

I would have been ok trading 2nd round picks ten years from now...
your Owen Sound Attack...

2011 OHL Champions
2011 Western Conference Champions
2011 Mid-West Division Regular Season Champions
2011 OHL Memorial Cup Participant
hockeyhockeyhockey
 
Posts: 2541
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:46 am

Re: trade deadline talk

Postby hockeyhockeyhockey on Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:44 pm

Looks like Wells staying put.

It's Guzda and Daniels for now.
your Owen Sound Attack...

2011 OHL Champions
2011 Western Conference Champions
2011 Mid-West Division Regular Season Champions
2011 OHL Memorial Cup Participant
hockeyhockeyhockey
 
Posts: 2541
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:46 am

Re: trade deadline talk

Postby Eagle Vision on Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:03 pm

I think that Wells would have been made available to the Rangers in exchange for Richardson. But then the question, with the season that Wells has had, becomes obvious. Do you gain anything by doing this?? You obviously hurt yourself going forward as Richardson will a 19-year-old next season, and Wells could be a thing of the past, or be occupying an OA spot.

I think that Wells is available if you send a tandem starter or near #1 goalie who's 18-years-old to the Petes (the Steelheads or IceDogs would be compliant trade partners). The only other way that you'd wiggle him loose is overpaying SIGNIFICANTLY. The Attack don't have the young netminder to send the other way. Guzda would be that netminder, but you can't even trade him till next season, and even if you could trade him, longer term, I don't even think that's a great idea. Kid has potential.
Tom Conaway circa 2000 - "At times goals were harder to come by than teachers at a Mike Harris pep rally."

Updates: Final Exhibition stats posted, game summary for Sep 14th game in Barrie
Eagle Vision
 
Posts: 3004
Joined: Sat May 29, 2004 7:41 pm
Location: Kitchener, Ontario

Re: trade deadline talk

Postby Pitou on Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:18 pm

The goaltending issue was no mystery to anyone. It was so bizarrely neglected that it left fans to speculate surely Montreal gave us a "wink" with McNiven. Not so, which deepened the mystery of the complacent activity in landing a netminder. When you wait until closing hour to pick a date, you're likely to leave the dance with something ugly or lonely. Lafreniere has been decent but unproven and a gamble solution at best. Even that may be a moot point unless he heals.

No sense having a diamond crusted bucket if you're content leaving a big hole in the bottom.
Pitou
 
Posts: 1090
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:15 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Electric Ice Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 6 guests