Attack fleeced?

A forum for all fans of the Owen Sound Attack of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Digger, waudby

Re: Attack fleeced?

Postby hockeyfan99 on Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:21 pm

hockeyhockeyhockey wrote:

So any guess who fills out our top two lines this weekend?

I've got Dudas, Suzuki and Mckenzie as our three best.
Three centres.

After that , what??

Suzuki hasn't played much centre all year so I think this does not effect him a whole heck of a lot. He has been playing wing with Hancock, Dudas, and Szypula playing the middle over him.

After watching Struthers I am just not sure he turns into much more than a serviceable 3rd line piece. With all this players missing the past few weeks it was his time to really step up and he has been barely noticeable. I think the shine might be off a little bit.

Degray is taking an interesting way at looking things, and he must truly believe that this full squad can do some damage. The one thing that has been said many times is that they started to fall even when all the players were in the lineup. Yes, that is definitely true, but without 4 or 5 of your top 12 forwards no team in the OHL is going to be able to dig out of that hole, i don't care what team you talk about. Take away any team's 2nd, 3rd, 4th best forwards along with 2-3 guys from the bottom 6 and it's going to be a struggle.

The move has been made, so maybe this group looks at each and shows the world that GM Degray had it right all along. It's a gamble, but lets see how it plays out.
hockeyfan99

Postby Digger on Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:44 pm

Kadri_Leafs1990 wrote:Yup! Been happening all season.

Posted this on the other boards.

Once I finished it, Thats when I realized how badly we've been getting screwed.

The one that puzzled me was trading Propp to North Bay, he is as good as Lafreniere and is a year younger and we really needed help in goal at that time.
Digger
Digger

Postby attackisback on Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:39 pm

London continues to win despite not having a full line up and with rayymakers out?
attackisback

Postby attackisback on Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:39 am

http://www.owensoundsuntimes.com/2018/0 ... ran-centre

Attack deal Struthers and picks for veteran centre
Greg Cowan, Pincher Creek Echo
By Greg Cowan, Owen Sound Sun Times

Wednesday, January 3, 2018 1:44:06 EST PM

Nugget File Photo of North Bay Battalion Brett McKenzie.
Nugget File Photo of North Bay Battalion Brett McKenzie.

Bookmark and Share
Change text size for the story
Print
Report an error

Dale DeGray and the Owen Sound Attack have made a move ahead of the January 10 Ontario Hockey League trade deadline dealing 18-year-old centre Matthew Struthers and picks to the North Bay Battalion for over-age centre Brett McKenzie.

The Attack will send a 2018 14th-round pick and 2020 second-round selection to the Battalion, along with Struthers, for the experienced centre who should slot into Owen Sound’s top-six moving forward.

McKenzie, a seventh-round pick of the Vancouver Canucks in 2016, was a point-per-game player last season with the Battalion scoring 29 goals and managing 39 assists on the year.

"We are very excited about the opportunity to bring Brett into our locker room. We know that he'll bring leadership, scoring ability, experience, and even more depth to our forward corps," DeGray said in a press release detailing the acquisition.

The native of small-town Vars, Ont., was once a part of the Canadian under-17 development team, and scored 26 goals in the 2015/16 OHL season.

He ranks third all-time in Battalion franchise history in games played, ninth in goals, seventh in assists and seventh in points. He was the Battalion’s first selection, 10th overall, in the OHL priority draft following the team’s relocation from Brampton to North Bay.

Struthers is in his third OHL season, and has 18 points in 32 games. He has 50 points in his 145-game career since being selected in the third round by the Attack out of the Halton Hurricanes minor-midget AAA program.

"It's never easy to trade a player like Matt," DeGray said of the Milton native. "He's a tremendous talent, a hard worker, and extremely well liked in the room. He'll have a chance to thrive in North Bay and we wish him nothing but the best moving forward."

This is the third trade between the Battalion and the Attack this season following two previous deals between the teams swapping Nick King for a 15-round draft choice and a trade which sent Christian Propp and a 10th-round pick in 2020 for Brady Lyle and a 2020 seventh-rounder.

More to come . . .
attackisback

Postby CHL Watcher on Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:07 am

Maybe Struthers turns out to be an underachieving overage? I think that's what you guys are implying? Great....we can get him back for another youngster! We'll just have DD call Stan.

He did it....as unbelievable as it might have seemed...he actually did it again.

He has learned absolutely nothing. Rookie move. Totally fleeced.
Who is paying this guy? ...and why?

Struthers? and picks!

For an underachieving rental?

How does this happen?
OMG

As already pointed out....Struthers is already a better player. Maybe his shooting percentage goes down and his goals don't change with more ice time and maybe he loses his defensive side and perhaps his faceoff percentage falls over time. At least we know we can get him back....for a hefty price.

It's shameful.

Dumb, dumb, dumb.
CHL Watcher

Postby stevey on Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:34 am

Nick King has been doing fine in NB. Look for Struthers to be better Stan will insist on his defensive game improving and look for that to improve his overall game. I wouldn't have minded him straightup for Mackenzie but we overpaid IMHO.
stevey

Postby CHL Watcher on Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:33 am

Struthers already had one of the best defensive minds on the team. I think it hurt him offensively. Stan will use him more and Struthers will benefit from the move.

He had a beauty set-up last night.

He's going to be an absolute beast of an overage in another TWO years!

Watch for it.

The Attack may manage to pull themselves together at some point and achieve something of sorts.....but they are now heavily damaged by poor decision making now and into the future....and you can NEVER get that back.

Just like the first trade for a London spare part, and the Blandisi trade. DD is just not much good at this part of the job. The Niagara trade was clearly a fluke. But I did the happy dance on that one. Good thing the team has some great scouts......I only wish they worked for the Attack.

I believe the team can still be decent.....I hope. Chin up.

I wanted McKenzie, too.....
because I considered the price to be fair. Stan is a mean, mean man taking candy from babes like that. Propp, Struthers, and King, plus picks for Lyle and a rental. How's that sound to you?
CHL Watcher

Postby Noofgoof on Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:54 am

Sounds like a lot of whining lol but your entitled to do what you want.. I think I personally will give this team some time I mean the seasons only half over and anything is possible. Its just my feeling but this team is going to have a big turn around and then I cant wait to watch all the bandwagoners jump back on. Maybe im hopeful maybe im dreaming but its just the way I see it.. but atleast Ill give them some confidence because lord knows not many fans seem to be doing that right now on the boards.. I get it... its been rough but things will turn ...
Noofgoof

Postby CHL Watcher on Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:38 am

It's not a matter of bandwagoning.....which is just an all-too-easy way to try to dodge the whole issue. It's a matter of trying to make any sense of what's transpired.

It's looking at the 'big picture'. It's an opinion.

I just don't get a sense of what the reasoning is.....and, of course, I do hope to be wrong.

I don't know why the season was played out this way by the GM.....because it was clearly played exactly as we see. Makes no sense.
CHL Watcher

Postby BearStrike on Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:42 am

Owen Sound and Peterborough at top or near top of all OHL predictions. Nice to confirm WE have not been over valuing our team in expecting big things this year.

http://www.lfpress.com/2017/09/20/ohl-preview-owen-sound-attack-peterborough-petes-look-to-rule-conferences-in-2017-18
http://ontariohockeyleague.com/article/ohl-media-poll-ohlopeningweek-predictions
https://thebloggerstribune.com/2017/09/06/2017-18-ohl-season-predictions/

So what does Peterborough do when they feel they are extremely under achieving.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3948300/petes-fire-head-coach-jody-hull-verner-to-assume-interim-role/

bearstrike
BearStrike

Postby CHL Watcher on Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:27 am

So, McKenzie moves from -12 to -15. Also from 31 games and 14 points to 32 games and 14 points.

Struthers from +3 to +4. Also from 32 games and 18 points to 34 games and 20 points (a nice setup in his first and a goal in his second)

Small sample size, for sure....but I think the fact that Stan demands defense should probably be viewed from both viewpoints....don'tcha think?

:oops:

Some of the trades DD makes are absolutely unbelievable. No wonder he's so shy about the process.

DD needed four things this season that the franchise deserved to have at this time.

1. a proven coach
2. a proven goaltender
3. a guaranteed useful import
4. a proven overage

That's the rough chronology and hierarchy of needs. The first happened in a flash. The second was thought to be unnecessary or impossible (replaced by hunch/project). The third got hacked when a second choice wasn't in hand. The fourth cost an arm and a leg for a hugely negative return. Not well executed unless your job is to create havoc.

It can't be good for morale.

I wonder if Sushko's U20 team has anyone available that could make this squad any better? The better ones from Belarus are committed and playing in the MHL or CHL, but there may be someone in that group that could sit in the top nine and improve upon it. Possibly not. Watching them at the U20 tournament....they didn't look as bad as their record, but they definitely lacked depth. It's clear that their own program is not up to the level they were facing. The standouts were all guys that play in Russian or North American leagues. Sushko did very well in that tournament. Is there anyone from Belarus U20 that's ready and/or available to make the big move? Rentals are fine.

There is no way that DD can find one for a reasonable cost in the OHL. I think we can all agree on that. Free would be good.....the return on investment is always better. I do hope there is an ongoing intense search.....or why make the trade they just made?
CHL Watcher

Previous

Return to Electric Ice Forum