Games 36-38/68 Jan 5,6,7, 2017 (SPORTSNET GAME SATURDAY)

A forum for all fans of the Owen Sound Attack of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Digger, waudby

Re: Games 36-38/68 Jan 5,6,7, 2017 (SPORTSNET GAME SATURDAY)

Postby Digger on Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:20 pm

Attack blowout Rangers 7-0
Greg Cowan, Pincher Creek Echo
By Greg Cowan, Owen Sound Sun Times

Saturday, January 6, 2018 7:57:02 EST PM

“We needed that win.”

Truer words may have never been spoken as Aidan Dudas and the Owen Sound Attack breathed a deep sigh of relief following a 7-0 blowout of the Midwest leading Kitchener Rangers at the Bayshore on Saturday.

Dudas, who scored twice and added an assist in the game, picked a great time to breakout from a seven-game slump as the game was being broadcasted nationally - part of the Canadian Hockey League Showcase on Sportsnet.

“Doing it on national TV is nice, but we need to do that every game,” said Dudas.

Alan Lyszczarczyk opened the scoring after 16-year-old Igor Chibrikov made a nice play at the blueline to keep the puck onside. The Polish national sniped a shot past Rangers goaltender Luke Richardson for his eighth of the year.

Brett McKenzie scored his first goal as an Attack player on the powerplay midway through the first period on a nice feed from Nick Suzuki. Then, minutes later, Brady Lyle put a shot on net from outside the faceoff dot which found its way past Richardson.

The Attack lead 3-0 heading into the break.

“He brings a lot, he just adds that second-tier of offence we were missing that can play against other team’s best lines,” said coach Todd Gill of Brett McKenzie following the game.

It was the Dudas and Maksim Sushko show in the second period. The Parry Sound native and Belarusian were back together as Sushko returned home from the World Juniors.

The pair combined for a four-on-four goal to make it 4-0 after Sushko curled-and-dragged the puck through Kitchener’s Giovanni Vallati and fired a puck on net. Dudas was there to slide the rebound into a wide open cage.

Then the duo worked together for another goal, this time shorthanded. Dudas curled the puck around the lone Rangers defender and slid it across the ice for Sushko to send home, 5-0 Attack.

“It’s nice to have him back,” said Dudas. “I think it’s just some people think the same on the ice and it looks like we’ve built some chemistry and our minds think at the same pace.”

Some scary stuff in the second when Jacob Friend caught Riley Damiani with a high blindside hit. Friend got five-minutes and a game for checking-to-the-head. He also answered the bell when Connor Bunnaman came calling for retribution, giving him the major for fighting as well.

In the third period, with the Attack up five goals and Chris McGonigle in the net in relief of Richardson, Dudas scored his second of the game pulling the puck around the crease and all the way behind the net before banking it in off the goalie.

It was the 18th goal of the season for the 17-year-old.

With time ticking down and the fans ready to celebrate Jackson Doherty made it 7-0 with a goal so nice his teammates were even taken aback.

“It kind of came out of nowhere. It was pretty nice. That’s going to be on Plays of The Week, for sure,” said Dudas.

Doherty streaking down the left wing put the puck through the legs of Jack York while cutting to the middle of the ice and then flipped the disk over McGonigle’s shoulder to cap off the game.

It was the Attack’s first win since a 5-4 victory over the Flint Firebirds on Dec. 9.

“We’ve had a lot of adversity this year and it’s really weighed on us,” said coach Todd Gill following the game. “I just said you’ve got to stick together no matter what. No one’s feeling sorry for us . . . we have to make our own way.”

You could feel sorry for Olivier Lafreniere. The goalie left with an injury just 31 seconds before the final horn. His first win as a member of the Attack, and a clean sheet.

The injury seemed to be a non-contact play with the goalie unable to get to his feet after making a save. He was helped off the ice by teammates and shouted in frustration heading down the tunnel.

He stopped all 28 of Kitchener’s shots in the game. Richardson got in front of 10 of the Attack’s 15 shots while McGonigle stopped six of eight in relief.

The Attack and Team Canada gold medal winner Jonah Gadjovich are back at it on Sunday as they travel to the Tribute Communities Centre for an afternoon game against the Oshawa Generals. Puck drop is 2:05 p.m.
Digger
Digger

Postby Digger on Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:31 pm

That sure looked like the team we saw last year even without Gadjovich and Hancock.

I thought they all worked their butts off the entire game.

What a beauty goal from rookie Doherty. Nice move around the d-man.

2 more weeks for Hancock apparently before he returns and 4 weeks for Campbell.

The big question now concerns the goalie Lafreniere injuring a leg it appeared and never had any contact. If he has done something serious the Attack cannot go forward without a goalie as they already know Daniels is not capable.
Digger
Digger

Postby hockeyhockeyhockey on Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:35 pm

Wasn't Olie nursing an injury when he arrived? .

Certainly a game where everything was clicking. I liked what McKenzie brought. Strong down the middle.

Nice to have Sushko back. Robinson tomorrow, then Gadjo for next week .

What's up with Campbell?
your Owen Sound Attack...

2011 OHL Champions
2011 Western Conference Champions
2011 Mid-West Division Regular Season Champions
2011 OHL Memorial Cup Participant
hockeyhockeyhockey

Postby cubby01 on Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:48 pm

Shoulder injury for Campbell. Ollie was great today, it would be sad if he is hurt. Looked like he made an off balance save and twisted something.
The new guy looks and plays like a vet, worked well with Suzuki. The whole team had some jump today, nice to see. Re-watched part of the game on SportsNet, looked great!!
cubby01

Re: Games 36-38/68 Jan 5,6,7, 2017. No (SPORTSNET GAME SATURDAY)

Postby Floger on Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:41 am

Pretty quiet so far after a great game by the Attack. Just Digger with congrats. Nothing for the rest of you yo bitch about???
Floger

Postby Noofgoof on Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:08 am

i was thinking that also Floger just wait until Gadj and the new fella insert in the lineup today.. That was a great game by the boys. Like I said the other day things would turn and although its just one game the team looked totally different.. lets just really hope Ollie is not hurt to bad and that maybe he just pulled a muscle or something minor. By the way after yesterday his numbers are almost looking better and better.. after 7 games he now has a 2.63 gaa and a 8.95. Save percentage.. yes just 1 win but those losses have not really been his fault for the most part.. I think we make 1-2 more moves maybe an OA d in place of 9 and find a strong import and I put this team right up there with the top 3-4 teams as long as Ollie isnt done for the year. I would think Guzda can handle a few games with the team back to a better line up .
Noofgoof

Re: Games 36-38/68 Jan 5,6,7, 2017. No (SPORTSNET GAME SATURDAY)

Postby gibb on Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:11 am

Floger wrote:Pretty quiet so far after a great game by the Attack. Just Digger with congrats. Nothing for the rest of you yo bitch about???

My popcorn was a bit stale yesterday!!

Beautiful goal by Doherty....I didn't mind the exuberant celebration despite being 7-0. Reminded me a bit of Jaden Lindo's reaction to his 8-0 goal against the Otters. Hope OL is ok. Friend should see games for his head check hit!!
My opinion and $1.60 (?) will get you a medium regular at Tim Horton's.
gibb

Postby stevey on Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:21 am

I just woke up but congrats on a great effort by everyone. I sure hope Ollie is ok was great to see him get rewarded I thought he has played well since arriving just some bad luck and lack of support. Now the challenge is to keep rolling like that you won't win them all but play like yesterday and they will win quite a few.
stevey

Postby Digger on Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:02 pm

Hopefully Fred can provide an update on Lafreniere's status today vs Oshawa.

It's been that kind of year for injuries I was hoping they were done with those.
Digger
Digger

Postby Floger on Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:11 pm

It is his groin but don't know how bad.
Floger

Postby CHL Watcher on Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:38 pm

He looked fantastic on a couple of saves yesterday.

Hope he's okay.

Funny how much winning and looking confident depends on whether or not the other team can strike back at will. This time they could not and the confidence kept building.....
Reminded me of the team with McNiven in net.....even without a few regulars.

Goaltending is the most important part of everything else. The most important part of any team. OL has reflexes and smarts between the pipes that I haven't seen from any of the rest of the auditions.

Great stage to shine on. Get well soon.
CHL Watcher

Postby cubby01 on Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:33 pm

2 wins in a row!
Here we go!
cubby01

Postby PensFan101 on Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:48 pm

It's been a while since back to back wins!

Crazy what having a couple of key bodies back does for a team. Gadjovich/McKenzie/Suzuki pointless but the team still puts up five. Secondary scoring all of a sudden coming alive.

Way too early to get excited after that December, and especially with Ollie hurt (though the emergency callup basis for Daniels is maybe a good sign?), but there are signs of life with this team.
PensFan101

Postby Digger on Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:30 pm

Floger wrote:It is his groin but don't know how bad.

Thanks. I heard coach Gill say it's not as bad as it looked and hopefully after a few days of rest it should be better.
Digger
Digger

Postby CHL Watcher on Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:40 pm

Well...not shy about giving my two cents....here it is:

If he's not badly hurt and it's a groin injury then give it whatever time it takes and then some. Seriously....take the hit. It's no big deal.

At this point the only thing that matters is whether or not the team is whole, healthy, and ready when the playoffs begin. 'Groin injury' and 'nagging groin injury' are too close for comfort... :lol:

Protecting an injury will drag your body of work down big time....and most often results in re-injury. They aren't gunning for first place anymore...so I'd play this one like you're trying to survive long enough to have a say in things.

I like what I've seen from Lafreniere. He's ready to play at this level. Good reflexes and good smarts/anticipation. Tracks the puck well.
CHL Watcher

PreviousNext

Return to Electric Ice Forum