Goaltending

A forum for all fans of the Owen Sound Attack of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Digger, waudby

Goaltending

Postby stevey on Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:51 am

I know it's a small sample size but does Ollie deserve a shot at being our starter next season and taking one O/A spot ? With his play so far I would be comfortable exploring that route. I know he works well with Guzda and would help him mature for the year after.
stevey

Re: Goaltending

Postby PensFan101 on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:15 am

I would say yes, though the sample size as you pointed out is still really small. He came in at the worst time for this team, but he's at least good enough to be an okay starter. The perfect guy to carry the load next season and have Guzda push him and possibly overtake him.

Then again, let's say Durzi, Hancock, and Bourque are all returned as overagers. What then? I would have to say no.
PensFan101

Postby attackisback on Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:44 pm

How did the last OA goalie work out? Remember mr Bowman? Similar numbers
attackisback

Postby Digger on Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:23 pm

stevey wrote:I know it's a small sample size but does Ollie deserve a shot at being our starter next season and taking one O/A spot ? With his play so far I would be comfortable exploring that route. I know he works well with Guzda and would help him mature for the year after.

Depends on what kind of team they end of being. If they are a contending team it makes sense but if they are not then maybe he could be traded to a team looking for a goalie.
Digger
Digger

Postby stevey on Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:18 pm

Digger wrote:
stevey wrote:I know it's a small sample size but does Ollie deserve a shot at being our starter next season and taking one O/A spot ? With his play so far I would be comfortable exploring that route. I know he works well with Guzda and would help him mature for the year after.

Depends on what kind of team they end of being. If they are a contending team it makes sense but if they are not then maybe he could be traded to a team looking for a goalie.[/quote
]

attackisback wrote:How did the last OA goalie work out? Remember mr Bowman? Similar numbers

Digger that is kinda where I was going with this. Also gives time to decide if there are tough choices as PensFan points out.
attackisback in response to your question and this is harsh and I don't have any info so this is my opinion only. there is a slight differance one Goalie is a fighter and a team guy as is very evident if you watch him or think how quick he battled back and the other one IMHO is a quitter. I know that is harsh and maybe he had good reason but in my eyes he quit on his teamates. Having said that he may have done Mack Guzda a favour as his developement has been very good in my eyes.
stevey

Postby Pitou on Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:10 pm

I anticipate Guzda is good enough to be a starter in his sophomore year. Anything else might be a disservice to his development. In such case an OA goalie as a back up or ever a 60/40 platoon is not prudent IMO. Guzda cannot play less than 40 percent of starts next year. Maybe a goalie back up plan in the OFF SEASON would be a relaxing change of pace. :P
Pitou

Postby stevey on Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:03 am

Pitou wrote:I anticipate Guzda is good enough to be a starter in his sophomore year. Anything else might be a disservice to his development. In such case an OA goalie as a back up or ever a 60/40 platoon is not prudent IMO. Guzda cannot play less than 40 percent of starts next year. Maybe a goalie back up plan in the OFF SEASON would be a relaxing change of pace. :P

After my post I was thinking how do you cut down his starts especially with his improvement not really a confidence building move. I guess what I am afraid of is this year so I'm looking to have Goaltending firmly in place ASAP maybe rushing it to much LOL. I just want all bases covered.
stevey

Postby Annan_Man on Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:38 am

Platoon Olli and Guzda 50/50 until the cut down date for OA from 4 to 3. Move OA as necessary, maybe it is Oli or if Guzda is struggling then maybe it's another OA we have coming back.
Annan_Man

Postby Pitou on Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:00 pm

Annan_Man wrote:Platoon Olli and Guzda 50/50 until the cut down date for OA from 4 to 3. Move OA as necessary, maybe it is Oli or if Guzda is struggling then maybe it's another OA we have coming back.

A sensible compromise but I am not 100% sure of the rule on that. Regardless of how many O/A's are on your roster prior to trim down date, is a team still limited to only dressing a max of three? If that is the case, if Ollie is the regular platoon goalie, one of the other O/A's are going to sit at least 33% of the time or more.
Pitou

Postby Annan_Man on Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:19 pm

Pitou wrote:
Annan_Man wrote:Platoon Olli and Guzda 50/50 until the cut down date for OA from 4 to 3. Move OA as necessary, maybe it is Oli or if Guzda is struggling then maybe it's another OA we have coming back.

A sensible compromise but I am not 100% sure of the rule on that. Regardless of how many O/A's are on your roster prior to trim down date, is a team still limited to only dressing a max of three? If that is the case, if Ollie is the regular platoon goalie, one of the other O/A's are going to sit at least 33% of the time or more.

Still limited to dressing 3 yes. Beginning of the year you could use a 3rd tender to backup Guzda, maybe a prospect so that Olli doesn't take up an OA slot from the bench. Or yes you may have to rotate out one of Durzi, Hancock, or Bourque. I would expect each of them will spend some time at NHL camps. Start the season see what the market is, what the team is, where the goalies are going, make the call. It's much better than how we entered this season at the goalie position. Worse case you go to the deadline but I would say 10-15 games in you have a good idea of who's staying and who's going.
Annan_Man

Postby stevey on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:36 pm

Great posts everyone.I like having Olie here and that is the challenge for Guzda to take the starting role and make it his. We then have an o/a goalie who if he continues to play like he has can return us alot more than we paid for him. If Mack isn't quite ready and we are competitive we have an O/A and a 17 yr old student. As Annan man said a lot better position than this year was.
stevey

Postby hockeyhockeyhockey on Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:18 pm

Keep Olie.

It's taken half a season to stabilize the teams goaltending .

DeGray has made it clear he won't pay the price for a tender this season, what will make him change his mind next year?
Olie has had 3 or 4 quality starts I'm a row. I like the way he plays.
your Owen Sound Attack...

2011 OHL Champions
2011 Western Conference Champions
2011 Mid-West Division Regular Season Champions
2011 OHL Memorial Cup Participant
hockeyhockeyhockey

Postby Digger on Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:44 pm

If they don't bring him back as an overager then your starter is 17yr old Mack and maybe another 17 yr old from this past draft. That's pretty young for two goalies being on the same team. Not undo able if Mack is ready next year but not something you would normally see on a team.
Digger
Digger

Postby attackisback on Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:44 am

2 wins in 9 games doesn’t excite me at all.
attackisback

Postby Pitou on Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:39 am

No disrespect to Lafreniere, he has come in under desperate circumstances and has done a decent job. However we've been so goalie deprived this year that I can't help but wonder if our perspective on decent goaltending has become distorted. Historically using a goalie for an O/A position was not typically an organizational strategy. Reserved for those few who are difference makers. Not sure Ollie is in that category until his numbers prove otherwise. He is an adequate solution for troubled times.

Here we are in January of the current season, ready to anoint Lafreniere as our O/A goalie next season, happily letting DD off the hook of finding other reasonable options. I suppose you never know what will happen but assume that Durzi, Hancock and Bourque are all returned as O/A. Those three will be the best trio of O/A's this team has seen in a long time. I could not see departing with any of those in favour of Lafreniere in an O/A season.

Lafreniere's value to the Attack was artificially inflated to due to desperate times and poor planning. Let's not make this traditional thinking.
Pitou

Next

Return to Electric Ice Forum