The remaining games are going to be a dog fight!

A forum for all fans of the Owen Sound Attack of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Digger, waudby

Re: The remaining 21 games is going to be a dog fight!

Postby Noofgoof on Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:54 am

I agree 4 points should be the minimum acceptable for this weekend but I think 6 might be attainable. I noticed on Kingstons board that Max Jones is out of the line up for a few weeks with a broken finger. As well as a poster made mention of possible knee injury to Day, if that is the case it can only benefit us however I think we can match up prettywell with them anyway. One thing I noticed checking their stats is how well the players brought in at the deadline have produced. Vilardi leading the way with 28 points in 14 games Pu has had 18 in 14 games and Day has had 15 in 14 games. Jones has only played 6 games with 3 points.
Noofgoof

Re: The remaining 21 games is going to be a dog fight!

Postby attackisback on Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:53 pm

Now that there are less than 21 games maybe we can update the thread heading.

the final 19 games schedule are as follows:

Hamilton x 1
Barrie x 2
(Kingston)
Niagara x 1
(Oshawa)
(North Bay)
Ottawa x 2
(Mississauga)

Petes x 1
(Sudbury)

Soo x 1
(kitchener)
Sarnia x 2
London x 1
Saginaw x 1
Guelph x 2
(owen Sound)
Windsor x 1

Erie x 1
Flint x 1

Theres no reason the attack cant go 12-7 during that stretch give or take
Last edited by attackisback on Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
attackisback

Re: The remaining games are going to be a dog fight!

Postby Noofgoof on Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:19 am

I changed the title.. whats with the teams in brackets?
Noofgoof

Postby Noofgoof on Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:28 am

Just noticed that Guelph will be with out there stud dman Ryan Merkley over this very important weekend due to being suspended 3 games.
Noofgoof

Postby attackisback on Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:53 am

Noofgoof wrote:I changed the title.. whats with the teams in brackets?

teams we dont play again
attackisback

Postby stevey on Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:09 am

That's an interesting schedule and 12-7 would be a very realistic goal. If we can get our 2 d-men back maybe even better than that. I am looking forward to the Soo and Sarnia games hope we are totally healthy so we can get a true measure of were we are. Would be nice to put some doubt in there minds wouldn't it ? I bet, even though they won't admit it,the Rangers hope we don't finish in 7th. I believe the top 3 are set it is 4th to 8th spots that won't be decided till the final weekend. I guess this should be a lesson to us that this roller coaster we call JR hockey is a wild ride. Not so long ago most of us myself included had written this season off now the Attack have a chance to make some noise. I am going to pick up the pom pom's and cheer the boy's on for whatever it's worth.
stevey

Postby CHL Watcher on Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:13 am

They needed to get people back and play like a team. Move the puck like they can.

But the biggest thing, in my opinion, is getting the save percentages up towards .900. Still not good enough to beat a real contender, but they were never going to go anywhere with .862.

How many championship teams won with goaltending under .900 in this league? I'm betting very few, if any. Probably none. (I haven't looked because the standard is obvious)

You can't be losing games where you nearly double the shots and possession time on your opponent. The Attack are better than all but maybe a team or two in this league. It has always been about the goaltending. (and untimely, undisciplined penalties.....which is not as big a problem, but still a problem.....and bad, bad luck). It's a wonder they didn't lose more.

If this seems like I'm putting it all on goaltending, then that's exactly what I'm doing. You don't win much when your top goal scorer has 15 goals, your top goalie has a .862 save percentage, your top defenseman has a -26, or when you have a rookie under 6'4" who is vying for the league lead in stupid penalties. The Attack didn't have all of these problems, but they had two of them and in a very serious way.

For a long time DD and company were simply making the least of their opportunities. Goaltending that gives them a chance started to bring back some swagger.....and now maybe we can move on and the boys can do what they intended to do all along. Maybe. The inconsistencies haven't gone yet. A good road trip will dispel doubts....or re-ignite them if things don't go well. That last northern trip was disgraceful.
CHL Watcher

Postby hockeyhockeyhockey on Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:37 pm

CHL Watcher wrote:

How many championship teams won with goaltending under .900

Binnington was .899 in 2010/11 27 wins

Zador was .900 in Owen Sound 9 wins

Stajcer was .901 10 wins
your Owen Sound Attack...

2011 OHL Champions
2011 Western Conference Champions
2011 Mid-West Division Regular Season Champions
2011 OHL Memorial Cup Participant
hockeyhockeyhockey

Postby attackisback on Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:12 pm

Not sure why the horniness over this .900 save percentage stuff.
attackisback

Postby cubby01 on Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:08 pm

If you stop 9 out of 10 shots you have a better chance of winning than if you stop 8 out of 10 shots. Seems obvious to me.
cubby01

Postby Noofgoof on Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:36 am

Good news on Greg Cowans twitter page the other day. He said Brady Lyle was apparently back on the ice for practice. That should help this weekend a bit. Also with timeline in my head I would have to think Durzi should soon be back in practices if hes not already. Its been 4 weeks this weekend if my math is correct.
Noofgoof

Postby CHL Watcher on Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:56 am

hhh just verified 2010/2011 = .900

That's the standard for goaltenders. Who doesn't know this?

Mathematically......things go bad in the fullness of time with every .10 below that mark. Do some calculations and see for yourself. Teams generally take between 20 and 50 shots at your goaltender, depending on the two teams going at it. Every team has to expect to be outshot at least half the time. If that doesn't happen you don't thank your goaltender for it.

A goaltender who is a .920 guy with 50 shots on him gives up 4 goals. An .862 goaltender does the same with 28 shots. That's how you outshoot your opponent and lose. That kills mojo, swagger, or whatever you want to call it. It causes infighting on a team if left to fester. It causes demoralization. It makes you play a style you may not be suited for....makes you more tentative...less free to take it to the other team.

Shots aren't the be-all and end-all because not all shots are created equal.....but over time all shots are the same. Like flipping a coin.

Like I said....your goaltender can't be an .862 guy any more than your top scorer can be a 15 goal guy, your top d-man have a -26.....or your rookie lead you in penalties. These are all real no-brainers for any team expecting to contend.

Ollie has the potential to get near where Binnington was, and maybe even Stajcer. There is time.

Just a FYI thing. I would have started Stajcer over Binnington and went with that for the tournament. I would not have loaded up the next season when things were clearly out of hand....selling off your future for nothing. There's another argument for folks to mull over. Regardless, they got taken down by injuries more than anything else in that tournament. You can thank that fiasco for the way the league is trying to appear concerned these days. They got what they wanted at the time......and it was the ugliest scene on the sports highlight clips.....followed by universal consternation. Bunch of cheats....plain and simple. Next time call the French and Russian figure skating judges in for a more even-handed approach.
CHL Watcher

Postby Noofgoof on Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:37 am

Am I still Nuts? lol
Noofgoof

Postby Digger on Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:53 am

Noofgoof wrote:Am I still Nuts? lol

Apparently not :lol:
Digger
Digger

Postby CHL Watcher on Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:24 am

Noofgoof wrote:Am I still Nuts? lol

Yep, still stark raving mad. :lol:

That is....if you're still talking about taking out SSM and Sarnia?

"it sure would be fun to look back and say oh ya the sault and Sarnia didnt they have some crazy win streaks in 2017-18 when we won the cup again? Maybe im nuts but I think its doable..."

That's a test yet to be determined....but this Attack team isn't there yet.

Getting fourth place is very much possible/probable at this point.....but after that?

You would have to be nuts to expect any more. :P

But we're all hoping that it's just another bump in the road when the time comes. I'm hoping your completely sane, of course.
CHL Watcher

PreviousNext

Return to Electric Ice Forum