The remaining games are going to be a dog fight!

A forum for all fans of the Owen Sound Attack of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Digger, waudby

The remaining games are going to be a dog fight!

Postby Noofgoof on Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:29 am

We have 21 games left which is atleast 1 game in hand on the whole league except Niagara. So much can happen but yet it feels like things are slowly starting to go our way. Looking at schedules we have a good shot to land anywhere from 4th to 8th but I’d be shocked if we were worse then 6th with the way our schedule matches up to other teams. The Hockey Gods were good to us last night handing Guelph and Windsor both regulation losses lets hope we can capitalize on that going into Guelph tonight. Of our 21 we have 3 with Guelph which will no doubt play a big role in where we end up. I know its not how our season looked like it was going to pan out but I still feel this team is destined for big things. And maybe we are better off for it it gave guys opportunities to grow and play roles they were not to be in quite yet and seasoned guys a bit more. Championships are usually won with many ups and downs and we have sure had many of those. I dont care where we land in the final standings some spots seem maybe a shade better but realistically we need to win 16 games once were in.. Good teams will be sure to fall because only one will be left in the end. Heres hoping we go on a great run from here on out.. it sure would be fun to look back and say oh ya the sault and Sarnia didnt they have some crazy win streaks in 2017-18 when we won the cup again? Maybe im nuts but I think its doable.. Not easy by any stretch but we have a much better team then we have been given credit for and lots of playoff experience to boot..
Last edited by Noofgoof on Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noofgoof

Re: The remaining 21 games is going to be a dog fight!

Postby CHL Watcher on Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:23 am

You're nuts.

:lol:

I don't see it right now....but dare to dream.

Our GM made up his mind about this year sometime last year. He did not and does not agree with any of the fans about this team, what it could do, what it is capable of or what potential it had....or what it needed....or how bad we wanted it.....etc.

Not our year.

They can make a little noise and play spoiler for maybe up to two series at best. That's going to be it.
CHL Watcher

Postby hllywd99 on Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:45 am

Both Guelph and Windsor lost last night, starting to get interesting. :shock:
........."FRACKEN A BABY! FRACKEN A!".............

......Andrew Shaw @ 11:09 pm 06/24/2013.......

.....TD Gardens in Boston, Mass.....
hllywd99

Postby CHL Watcher on Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:27 am

I think they'll finish 5th....but 4th is still possible.

Then we could see them win round one (from either position) if they can beat JR.

Round two would see them up against the Soo. That's where things go south....regardless of how well they play. I suppose some sort of complete implosion, rash of injuries, for the Soo combined with a heroic effort by the Attack could get them through this one.....but it might take more than one SSM catastrophe to make it happen.

Sarnia and the Soo are the only two teams that really match up well with the Attack....and then some. Maybe Kitchener....but I think they're essentially the same team as the Attack. Either of the Soo or Sarnia would have to play beneath their ability to lose a seven game series to the current Attack. That's how it looks to me........and in cases like this I always hope to be wrong.

Then again, I don't think the Attack have had a full team in months....so I can't say how good they really are. It's going to be interesting to find out.

The team is playing at a 0.682 clip over the last 11 games, including a convincing win over a weaker version of the Rangers, a good win over the Bulldogs, and a tidy win over the Colts, amongst others. If not for that brutal northern swing it would look pretty good. Actually, it does anyway.

Lyle, Durzi, Chibrikov status updates?
CHL Watcher

Postby hllywd99 on Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:15 pm

The plot thickens! :x
........."FRACKEN A BABY! FRACKEN A!".............

......Andrew Shaw @ 11:09 pm 06/24/2013.......

.....TD Gardens in Boston, Mass.....
hllywd99

Postby hockeyhockeyhockey on Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:10 am

Tonight's game against the Rangers will be an uphill battle if we are missing three D.

Boy this team just can't get a break.
your Owen Sound Attack...

2011 OHL Champions
2011 Western Conference Champions
2011 Mid-West Division Regular Season Champions
2011 OHL Memorial Cup Participant
hockeyhockeyhockey

Postby Noofgoof on Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:17 pm

Movin on up 8)
Noofgoof

Postby stevey on Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:51 pm

Missing 2 key D-men and battle a tough guelph team and an even tougher Rangers squad and come away with 4 pts and don't give them any. Very well done. Did anyone see the Rapid fire segment with Ollie I can see why he fits in so well great attitude and character.
stevey

Postby CHL Watcher on Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:02 pm

Okay.....

I think fourth place is now almost probable.......if no more injuries come up....and some of the injured return.

Saginaw, London, and Guelph are the opponents down the stretch. Never mind that recent abomination with the Knights.....I can't see these teams staying in front of a half-healthy Attack. I just don't see it. They don't have the horses.

The Attack have a game in hand on all of them with just a three point spread and 19 games left? No chance the Attack don't land on top.

This weekend is a big turning point in my mind. I think it's a signal to everyone.

So many of these guys have gone elsewhere to prove their worth and now they're back together. Look out.

Hancock showed his worth by his absence. Gadjovich went off and grabbed a gold medal. Dudas made his mark at the Top Prospects game. Sushko captained and led his national junior team in scoring at 18 years old, and Lazer lead his national junior team and the entire B tournament.....and then there's Suzuki, McKenzie, Robinson (who knew he could fly?), Zippy, and on and on.

:twisted: 8)

Yeah.....I can see it.
CHL Watcher

Postby Noofgoof on Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:57 am

Welcome back on board watcher lol Id say Degray may of had an idea of Robinsons wheels and Mackenzie although the price was steep he sure plays a great role right now we have 3 very solid lines that can go toe to toe with the best. Not to mention our D will improve when Lyle and Durzi come back thats a no brainer.. Yes the first half and a bit was pretty tough to watch.. Things have changed this team is playin much better.. I mean believe it or not this team can play defence we dont hardly ever get out shot so that limits the others chances.. Plus we can score.. And now the goaltending has started to solidify Id say look out there isn't likely a team that wants OS first round of the playoffs.. Maybe Im wrong .. I could be..but I dont think so. We will get a test here shortly we have a game with the Sault and Sarnia before seasons up Id love nothing more then to send a message to both we arnt the same team they played in the past..We have been beating some pretty good teams of late lets hope we can keep it up.
Noofgoof

Postby Noofgoof on Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:15 am

Also just wanted to mention Mr McKenzie has now had points 6 of the last 8 games and had 8 points total in that stretch.
Last edited by Noofgoof on Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Noofgoof

Postby stevey on Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:38 am

As recently as last week I said 6th possibly as high as fifth. I didn't think fourth was very likely. Missing 2 key d-men and playing like they are I can see fourth now I hope we have a full lineup when we play Soo and Sarnia just to see where we are.
stevey

Postby CHL Watcher on Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:43 pm

Noofgoof wrote:Welcome back on board watcher lol Id say Degray may of had an idea of Robinsons wheels and Mackenzie although the price was steep he sure plays a great role right now we have 3 very solid lines that can go toe to toe with the best. Not to mention our D will improve when Lyle and Durzi come back thats a no brainer.. Yes the first half and a bit was pretty tough to watch.. Things have changed this team is playin much better.. I mean believe it or not this team can play defence we dont hardly ever get out shot so that limits the others chances.. Plus we can score.. And now the goaltending has started to solidify Id say look out there isn't likely a team that wants OS first round of the playoffs.. Maybe Im wrong .. I could be..but I dont think so. We will get a test here shortly we have a game with the Sault and Sarnia before seasons up Id love nothing more then to send a message to both we arnt the same team they played in the past..We have been beating some pretty good teams of late lets hope we can keep it up.

Welcome back? I never left. :lol:

Let me fix that for you....

"Welcome back Attack!" 8)

The rest of what you said was true enough. The major thing that's happened is the team is starting to come back together.

Not so long ago they were scoring double digits on fairly good teams.....then....ouch. They look like they've got the lines figured out finally....I think that's what we're seeing.....and there was no way to do that up until now.

Like you say, the defense is only going to get better. Durzi had the best numbers in almost every category when he went down. What team wouldn't be hurt by even that loss alone? But oh, no...the Attack had to end up with 3, 4, 5, 6 good players gone at one time.......maybe the most injury riddled season I've seen in town, at least from an impact standpoint.
CHL Watcher

Postby Noofgoof on Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:06 am

I was just checking out Guelphs forum on halfboards it appears they have an interesting weekend that we should be keeping an eye on.. They are in Windsor thursday home to Saginaw friday and home to London sunday. Lets really hope we dont see any overtime games. It will for sure be a weekend that plays major roles in the standings.
Noofgoof

Postby stevey on Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:19 am

That is an interesting weelend and could have major impact on the standings.On the other hand the Attack need to keep bringing there A++ game and make some hay on the Eastern swing. 4 pt's would be great 6 would be awesome.
stevey

Next

Return to Electric Ice Forum