Games 50,51,52/58 Eastern Road Trip Feb 8, 9, 11,2018

A forum for all fans of the Owen Sound Attack of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Digger, waudby

Re: Games 50,51,52/58 Eastern Road Trip Feb 8, 9, 11,2018

Postby CHL Watcher on Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:26 pm

Just so everyone is aware....

Ottawa has points in each of their last 6 games...3 wins, 2 overtime losses and 1 shootout loss.

In other words....to use baseball terms....they're a tough out.

Sweep.
CHL Watcher

Postby Digger on Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:56 am

That was a huge win for the boys after the refs let the Fronts back into the game. Two penalities on the same play, you won't see that for a long time brutal.

Ethan Szypula playing like we have never seen befoe very nice. I notice he is going to the net and does not seem to be shying away when contact is going to happen.

& pts the last 2 games good job kid.

1 pt out of 4th place and 9 wins out of the last 10 games.

Bring home the last 2 pts boys.
Digger
Digger

Postby Digger on Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:00 am

Szypula and the Attack stay hot in Kingston
Greg Cowan, Pincher Creek Echo
By Greg Cowan, Owen Sound Sun Times

Friday, February 9, 2018 9:57:30 EST PM

Ethan Szypula’s 303rd Ontario Hockey League game may have been his best and brightest.

The Attack veteran’s hat-trick helped Owen Sound make a statement against one of the East’s best in a 4-3 overtime win over the Frontenacs in Kingston on Friday night.

Kingston traded a slew of draft picks at the trade deadline to load up for the postseason, but on Friday night it was the Attack who looked ready for spring hockey.

“It’s a big test for us,” said Nick Suzuki before leaving for the team’s eastern road swing. “It’s going to be another playoff game like Kitchener was.”

In a game which couldn’t be broadcast live on television because of a broken fibre cable, old-school methods prevailed.

And, just as a dedicated employee shuttled recorded copies of the hockey game back to the station to play on delay like it was 1958, the Attack and Frontenacs turned back the clock in the first period by playing a wide-open fast and furious brand of hockey reminiscent of the 1980s.

Hardly a whistle sounded in the opening frame, and despite the chances, it took until the 6:25 mark of the second period for Szypula to open the scoring with his first goal of the game.

The Attack veteran was coming off a four-point game Thursday night in Peterborough. He batted in a Brady Lyle rebound past Kingston goalie Jeremy Helvig to put the Attack up, 1-0.

Linus Nyman, the Fronts’ Finnish flash, tied the game with his 29th of the season minutes later.

Szypula would put the Attack back on top before the end of the second period on a goal assisted by Alan Lyszczarczyk.

The Polish national, and perhaps the most fickle player on the Attack roster, playing up and down the lineup, had his second assist of the game on Szypula’s second marker.

In the third period, the Attack extended their lead on Nick Suzuki’s 26th of the year, but penalty trouble once again popped the Attack’s momentum balloon.

The striped-shirts whistled two Owen Sound players in the same series as Trenton Bourque and Daylon Groulx headed to the sin-bin together to put the Fronts up two men.

With a top-five power play, it was a matter of when and who would score a goal for Kingston. Jakob Brahaney answered the call bringing the home team back within one goal on his fifth tally of the year.

Back at even strength, Nyman pulled the Fronts even. His second of the game, and 30th of the season, squared the game with under 10 minutes to play.

Owen Sound got their first turn on the man-advantage with just under seven minutes remaining, but couldn’t capitalize.

Suzuki was then flagged for a hooking call in the offensive zone, the Attack’s fourth infraction of the period.

Adversity settled over the Attack, a team which folded time and time again in the month of December in similar circumstances.

On Friday night however, Owen Sound killed the penalty for the final minute and 34 seconds of the game, and the remainder in overtime, setting up Szypula for the theatrics.

The Attack’s king of flash and dash made a big splash with just over a minute left in the extra frame by taking the puck from goaltender Olivier Lafreniere, streaking down the ice, and potting his third goal of the game.

The 20-year-old’s patented post-game celebration of overhead stick swinging surely sent the Kingston fans home surly as it snapped their team’s six-game win steak.

Coincidentally, the goal extended the Attack’s win streak to six games.

Players often will point to a single moment in a season where their fortunes changed. Recently, the Attack have won against formidable opponents in the Hamilton Bulldogs, Barrie Colts and Kitchener Rangers.

But, if Owen Sound makes any noise down the stretch they’ll most likely look back at a night in Kingston when they were handed four penalties in a third period, gave up a two-goal lead, and still managed to win.

“It’s fun to play in this. This kind of road trip has been good in the past for us, hopefully we can do it again,” said Suzuki.

Lafreniere stopped 34 of the Fronts 37 shots while Helvig got in front of 39 of the Attack’s 43 chances on goal.

The Attack now have Saturday off before taking on the 67’s in Ottawa Sunday. The 67’s are currently in seventh place in the Eastern Conference, it will be the first game between the two clubs this season, puck drop is 2 p.m. at TD Place.
Digger
Digger

Postby Digger on Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:02 am

Attack snaps Kingston win streak with OT win
By Doug Graham, The Whig-Standard

Friday, February 9, 2018 10:36:41 EST PM

The Owen Sound Attack spoiled the comeback party for the Kingston Frontenacs Friday night.

Forward Ethan Syzpula scored at 3:44 of overtime as the Attack stopped the Frontenacs' six-game win streak with a 4-3 victory before 3,589 at the Rogers K-Rock Centre.

The Frontenacs were down 3-1 with under 10 minutes to play in the third, but got the game squared on goals by Jakob Brahaney and Linus Nyman.

The Frontenacs did everything but put the puck past goaltender Olivier Lafreniere in a late power play that extended into overtime.

It was back to three-on-three action when Syzpula, on a 2-on-1 break, scored on Jeremy Helvig.

“We battled back to get a point. I would take that as a positive walking away from it,” said head coach Jay Varady.

“From a spectator's point of view, I thought it was a great hockey game to watch. Scoring chances at both ends,’’ he said.

“I thought they had most of them in the first (two periods) and we were able to push back in the third.”

Nyman’s second goal of the game, off a faceoff win by Gabe Vilardi and a Cliff Pu set up, tied it at 11:52.

Vilardi drew assists on all three Kingston goals. Pu also had two assists.

The Attack were the better team over the first half of the game and had outshot the Frontenacs, 29-19 and led 2-1 going into the third.

Owen Sound set the tempo early and that was a sore point for Varady.

“I don’t think we had enough guys ready to start the game and contribute,” Varady said.

“We’ve got to be better out of the block and it starts with our energy and our skating.”

After a scoreless first, the teams combined for three goals in the second period.

Two of them went to the Attack’s Syzpula. He made it 1-0 and then responded after Nyman’s first goal with his second less than two minutes later.

Nyman’s 29th of the season came at the tail-end of another electric puck-moving display by the Frontenacs big line. Pu and Vilardi both drew assists.

The Attack came out with some zest and had the Frontenacs back on their heals for the period’s early minutes.

Helvig made saves on Brett McKenzie and then on Daylon Groulx, who was alone in front.

A big hit by Jacob Paquette on Chase Campbell seemed to insert more zip into the Frontenacs game.

Groulx tried to initiate Paquette into a fight in response to the hit on his teammate but nothing came of it.

The second half of the opening period went by quickly. The teams played a stretch of 9:31 without a whistle.

There was a short delay in the second period when Helvig’s mask came off. A linesman took the mask to the bench for a repair, but when it couldn’t be immediately fixed, Helvig played with backup Brendan Bonello’s mask.

A minute into playing with that, out came Helvig’s backup mask for him to use. A couple stoppages later the equipment issue was over with the repaired mask back on Helvig. The issue with the mask was the button the face mask strap goes on came off.

Game notes: The Frontenacs and Attack also went to overtime in their meeting in Owen Sound in Dec. 16. The Frontenacs won that one, 2-1 in a shootout. ... The overtime was the 13th of the season for Kingston, which has only won five of those. ... Varady confirmed the shaved-head look he is sporting behind the bench is the result of losing an internal bet with the team. ... Tyler Burnie left the game midway through the second period with an upper-body problem. He tried to come back for one shift but wasn’t able to continue. ... Three of the Frontenacs final 16 games are against the North Bay Battalion with the first of those coming up Sunday afternoon at the Rogers K-Rock Centre. Game times is 2 o’clock.
Digger
Digger

Postby CHL Watcher on Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:02 am

Hard to believe they don't have the guts to mention the stripes' contribution.

SR is always a treat for OS. He's shameless; completely shameless. I wonder if he's this bad all the time or he's just a special kind of biased? Perhaps some fan from another team could fill me in?

Two penalties at one time. You don't see that kind of effort often. This kind of thing has to happen on the road during a blackout, if possible. Those kind of opportunities just don't come along often.
CHL Watcher

Postby stevey on Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:23 am

Wow where to start ? What a win. I am really looking forward to hopefully having everyone in the lineup and healty when we play Soo and Sarnia win lose or draw they should be great games maybe we put some doubt in there minds if it's not already there. The boy's need to put there feet hard on the gas on Sunday Ollie has done his part in this streak he deserves his teammates best effort. Sunday is one of those dangerous games we should win BUT!!!! I think our character will get us thru. One thing I have noticed and add I love is Brett McKenzie. I have saw him give guy's a little chat if they aren't doing there job. KUDO'S Brett great job.
stevey

Postby CHL Watcher on Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:15 am

Just an update...

It looks like the Attack have to break another winning/unbeaten streak to keep their own going.

Ottawa has 3 straight wins after beating the Generals yesterday and have points in seven straight games.

Obviously the 67s post deadline are not the 67s of the first half of the season. This team has turned a corner just like the Attack. They're movin' on up.

The Attack seem to have trouble with the 67s....even when they sometimes shouldn't.....so....

Another big test today.....and I think it's safe to say.....every game day will be the same story until the end comes sometime in Regina. <<< :P kidding....for now.
CHL Watcher

Postby stevey on Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:41 am

Watcher, Every game from here to Regina 8) will be a big game. Look no further than today to keep pace and then Wed against the Knights. When you dig a little hole you have to climb to get out 5 teams in our conference are in the same boat. The top 3 I don't believe can or will change but 4-8 is CRAZY. The boy's just need to focus on every game one at a time stay healthy and fight like it's game 7.
stevey

Postby Noofgoof on Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:03 pm

Just checked the lineup for today and it appears that Gadjovich is not in playing. Coach also put the Syzpula Dudas line on the sheet as the top line which is well deserved as they have played great recently.
Noofgoof

Postby CHL Watcher on Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:45 pm

I'm watching the game and the shot clock is flattering for the 67s.

I don't sense a change coming any time soon. Ottawa will have to make big adjustments just to slow the Attack down.

If Ottawa doesn't find a way to adjust, the puck is going to start finding its way into their net.

Okay then. After the 2nd period...
... the 67s are doing what they needed to do. But they're down 3-0. ...and they probably should be.

I expect the Attack to keep up the pressure.

Oh, and Olie looks fantastic. If one goes in on this guy they've probably earned it. He looks really steady....reacts to the play real quick. Plays the puck up ice. All good.
CHL Watcher

Postby attackisback on Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:09 pm

Fantastic goaltending in the 3rd period... where’s that .900
attackisback

Postby stevey on Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:43 pm

I missed a couple goals while taking an important call Where they bad goals? I had a bad feeling about this game we have been rolling pretty good odds are we were due to lose one. Played 2 good periods forgot the 3rd ?
stevey

Postby hockeyhockeyhockey on Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:42 pm

CHL Watcher wrote:I'm watching the game and the shot clock is flattering for the 67s.

I don't sense a change coming any time soon. Ottawa will have to make big adjustments just to slow the Attack down.

If Ottawa doesn't find a way to adjust, the puck is going to start finding its way into their net.

Okay then. After the 2nd period...
... the 67s are doing what they needed to do. But they're down 3-0. ...and they probably should be.

I expect the Attack to keep up the pressure.

Oh, and Olie looks fantastic. If one goes in on this guy they've probably earned it. He looks really steady....reacts to the play real quick. Plays the puck up ice. All good.

Despite four of six points, the Attack pooped the bed in two of those games.

Thanks to ot, one swung their way. The other didn't.

Not sure if Guzda should have been inserted in the 3rd to shake things up before it got out of hand .

Move on to Wednesday.
Had a good run
your Owen Sound Attack...

2011 OHL Champions
2011 Western Conference Champions
2011 Mid-West Division Regular Season Champions
2011 OHL Memorial Cup Participant
hockeyhockeyhockey

Postby hllywd99 on Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:01 pm

4 goals on 8 shots. :oops:
........."FRACKEN A BABY! FRACKEN A!".............

......Andrew Shaw @ 11:09 pm 06/24/2013.......

.....TD Gardens in Boston, Mass.....
hllywd99

PreviousNext

Return to Electric Ice Forum