Fred talking about O/A's

A forum for all fans of the Owen Sound Attack of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Digger, waudby

Fred talking about O/A's

Postby stevey on Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:58 am

Did anyone happen to catch Fred saying yesterday that there is a move that the Attack feel will happen to increase the O/A limit to 4. If true and depending on who is available we could have an even more solid team next season. I just caught the end of his blurb wanted to listen more but his broadcast was about 30 secs behind Rogers.
stevey

Re: Fred talking about O/A's

Postby Annan_Man on Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:04 pm

What Fred mentioned wasw The league is considering not counting an O/A goalie as an O/A. The numbers would remain the same.
Annan_Man

Postby PensFan101 on Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:50 pm

It's an idea that's starting to gain some traction in junior hockey circles and I think it would be terrific. Especially since the quality of goaltending in the CHL has dipped quite a bit since import goalies were banned.

Considering how few goalies ever play in the CHL at 16 - even McNiven didn't - having them not count as overagers seems like a great compromise. Gives goalies another year of development, and means fewer of them will get cut loose as 20 year olds and wander to other leagues.

Might be too early to hope it gets done this off-season. Given our glut of overagers for next season, how sweet would it be to have Lafreniere not count as an overager? Another spot for Durzi/Hancock/Bourque/Campbell/Lazer/whoever else.
PensFan101

Postby stevey on Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:17 pm

That would be a great idea and if it could get done would benefit the Attack next season. Like I say I just put the radio on at the end of his blurb because I noticed Gadjovich not dressed.
stevey

Postby attackisback on Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:29 am

O.L. Is an upgrade over bowman but I’m still not sold. If he steals a round then maybe but there hasn’t been a big enough sample to convince me yet.

Let’s hope next years overagers run circles over the stats our 3 have this year.
attackisback

Postby stevey on Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:13 pm

If not Ollie we may be in trouble again I don't think we can expect a 17 yr old even an experienced one to carry the load.
stevey

Postby attackisback on Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:07 pm

Refresh my memory on a goalie named dipietro...
attackisback

Postby CHL Watcher on Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:37 am

attackisback wrote:Refresh my memory on a goalie named dipietro...

The Attack have no second goalie.

O.L. would stick around for a year and then Guzda full time for 2-3 more. A rule like this would benefit the league, the goaltenders, the fans, possible expansion, and definitely the Attack.

This kind of rule will benefit every team.

I've always wanted the league to rethink some of these rules regarding OAs, imports, and 16 yr olds. What you want is more good players. That gives you two things at once......stronger play across the league and thus the ability to expand by 2 teams without changing the skill level. There will always be a goal to expand the league over time and they cannot do it now for two reasons....weak league and no site/owner combination that works. The latter will not always be the case and the former guarantees a watering down of the league when the time comes to expand. Newsflash: Any player who is allowed to play in the CHL is going to benefit from it....for an extra year, for 4 or 5 of them....doesn't matter. If player development is the goal then what's the quota system all about?

Change a couple of rules and find a way to 24 teams in the OHL and start with Cornwall.

But I digress.

I think this is good.
CHL Watcher

Postby attackisback on Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:03 pm

The attack website www.attackhockey.com lists 17 year old Mack Guzda of Tennessee as a goaltender on the team this season.
attackisback

Postby CHL Watcher on Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:17 pm

You were thinking about going after another goaltender (letting O.L. go), or did you forget that?

So your team has a 17 yr old unproven goalie with no back-up and an expensive hunt for a mentor to start up all over again.

Think that over. How could that go wrong?

Who is the next Beamish or Struthers? You'll have to factor a couple of those into your plan again, because the wheels are going to fall off.

I'd say we trade Groulx and Doherty and a pair of 2nds in 2050. That way we can make way for some other guys to get more ice time that haven't proven in any way at all that they deserve it, even if it makes us look like tree-lookers.

History repeating is what's been wrong for the last 6-7 years. And that's about all that's been wrong. The grass is not always greener. DD does not do very well at assessing his own talent. Don't make him do it.

Today, Struthers picked up a star in a losing effort to the Generals, was once again (as always) a positive in the +- area, took 7 shots on net and is running a point a game with Stan. McKenzie wasn't doing that....and was carrying a -12 at what age?
Last edited by CHL Watcher on Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.
CHL Watcher

Postby Digger on Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:17 pm

attackisback wrote:The attack website http://www.attackhockey.com lists 17 year old Mack Guzda of Tennessee as a goaltender on the team this season.

I will let you Watcher explain what you meant by no goalie.
Digger
Digger

Postby CHL Watcher on Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:18 pm

Digger wrote:
attackisback wrote:The attack website http://www.attackhockey.com lists 17 year old Mack Guzda of Tennessee as a goaltender on the team this season.

I will let you Watcher explain what you meant by no goalie.

If OL is gone who backs up Guzda? Read my post above.
CHL Watcher

Postby Digger on Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:09 pm

ya I knew that but I don't think attackisback understood what you meant, you were posting as as wrote it.
Digger
Digger

Postby Flash on Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:46 pm

Watcher give it a rest. Since we made the trades we are now in 5th place. Only a couple of points out of fourth. Before the trades we were in 8th place. Guzda has more wins than OL this year. Most announcers from other teams are all saying they don’t want to meet OS in the first round. Is that because we don’t have Struthers and Beamish or because we have McKenzie and Lyle??????
Flash

Postby Noofgoof on Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:26 am

I agree.. Watcher and other still complaining about the trades made need to move on.. Enjoy the fact we have won 13 of the last 15 games and become more the team we thought they would be at seasons start. If the rule passes then theres no reason not to bring Ollie back and give him a shot again next year Mack has lots of time left and can learn from Ollie and fill in when needed or push Lafreniere to be better. Lets face it this team is better now then when we had the other players mentioned.. So buckle up and enjoy the ride McKenzie may not be lighting up the score sheet but he hasnt been bad..More important then lighting up the score sheet is the fact he helps give us 3 very solid reliable lines and a ton of size and muscle along with experience.
Noofgoof

Next

Return to Electric Ice Forum