Favourite Rangers Goalie of the last decade

A forum for all fans of the Kitchener Rangers of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Eagle Vision, CharlieGirl, Duct Tape

Forum rules
DO NOT Post ticket requests or sales on this forum, there is a: Ticket Exchange setup for this purpose.

Favourite Rangers Goalie of the last decade

Postby matt452 on Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:10 am

There's been a lot of talk recently about wether or not Maxx and/or Moe can carry this team. Personally, I think all this pressure is being put on them because we've had a ton of great goaltenders over the past few years. Guys like Scott Dickie who carried us to a Mem cup, Steve Mason/Josh Unice who brought us within one game of another Mem cup, Parker Van Buskirk who was definitely a fan favourite, and Dan Turple who played great but isn't remembered very much.

Personally, I think Scott Dickie was the best goalie we've had in recent memory. The guy stood on his head every night, and played amazing when it counted. I can't believe that he never went to the NHL, although i think that was more bad timing than anything.

So who was/is your favourite?
Arena's Visited;

Kitchener, Saginaw, Guelph, Mississauga, London, Brampton, Peterborough, Owen Sound, Sarnia, Barrie
LET'S GO RANGERS!
matt452
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:55 pm

Re: Favourite Rangers Goalie of the last decade

Postby Deener on Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:17 am

yeah...when you think of the riches of goaltender depth we have had its truly amazing...Then you have the walking nightmares that were John Murray and Carlo DiRienzo...Turple was by far my favorite that we have had here...Had terrific positioning at all times and never seemed to let that bad goal in....
Deener
 
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:28 am

Re: Favourite Rangers Goalie of the last decade

Postby Rangers#1fan on Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:14 am

Matt Smith :lol:
Rangers#1fan
 
Posts: 437
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:29 pm

Re: Favourite Rangers Goalie of the last decade

Postby GO Blue on Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:06 am

Deener wrote:yeah...when you think of the riches of goaltender depth we have had its truly amazing...Then you have the walking nightmares that were John Murray and Carlo DiRienzo...Turple was by far my favorite that we have had here...Had terrific positioning at all times and never seemed to let that bad goal in....


OMG John Murray... The blooper goal in the Playoffs vs Plymouth....
****
OHL Rinks Visited.
Guelph, London, Windsor, Plymouth, Saginaw, SSM, Sarnia, Mississauga, Brampton, Owen Sound, Belliville, Erie.
GO Blue
 
Posts: 1034
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:31 pm
Location: Section 23

Re: Favourite Rangers Goalie of the last decade

Postby Rangers_Fan_All-the-way on Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:40 am

GO Blue wrote:
Deener wrote:yeah...when you think of the riches of goaltender depth we have had its truly amazing...Then you have the walking nightmares that were John Murray and Carlo DiRienzo...Turple was by far my favorite that we have had here...Had terrific positioning at all times and never seemed to let that bad goal in....


OMG John Murray... The blooper goal in the Playoffs vs Plymouth....


Ummm...you forgot the 's' the blooper goal's'. hahahaha. This guy would go just about anywhere he wanted in the entire zone even if there were opposing players in the zone. He was a bit overboard on the puck handling and it cost him way too many times. Spott probably warned him that game to stay closer to his net cause he was yanked after the first goal and it was a brutal one. Almost as bad as Byfuglien last night in the Leafs game.

I don't like when people put multiples as their 'favourite' but it is really hard for me to choose between Parker and Turple. They both were great goaltenders that had a ton of class and could keep the team in the game.
Rangers_Fan_All-the-way
 
Posts: 568
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:01 pm
Location: Kitchener, Ontario

Re: Favourite Rangers Goalie of the last decade

Postby Eagle Vision on Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:32 am

Turple was great in the regular season, but his play left something to be desired in the post-season - when healthy.

Consider this, we've won at least a round of post-season play in each of the following years:

2003
2005
2007
2008
2010

So, let's call that 50/50, or a little above.

Look at the starters for the post-season (or year end in the case of 2001 & 2009):

2001: Dickie
2002: Dickie
2003: Dickie
2004: Topping
2005: Pfligler (he was the one that got us through)
2006: Turple
2007: Murray
2008: Unice/Mason
2009: VanBuskirk
2010: Maxwell

Notice anything? Not one single netminder (save Turple kinda) returned after winning a playoff round (yes, Unice also kind of returned but he wasn't here by the next post-season, nor were we in the post-season).

This is the first year with Maxwell where we've had a starter that's returned after winning a playoff round since Dave Belitski.

That's huge. No matter how you slice it, and it's not as if the Rangers ran into a lame-duck Sarnia team in the first round last year before getting blown out of the post-season either. The biggest doubt every year going into the post-season for so many teams is netminding.

I gotta go with VanBuskirk as my favourite. He was through and through the most thrilling to watch and if there was ever a Ranger (other than Landeskog) who would chose to push the pause button on his life so that he could stay here forever - it was that guy.

In terms of performers. Dickie, I was so happy to see him break through. Everyone tends to forget that other managers were rumbling about how our netminder was the team's achilles heel and DeBoer's confidence was rewarded through and through. Dickie also played every last minute of every post-season game that year. Even Wendell Young was replaced at times!! Dickie also bested some of the league's top netminders in big games during the 2003 post-season, so he gets my nod.
Tom Conaway circa 2000 - "At times goals were harder to come by than teachers at a Mike Harris pep rally."

Updates: Final Exhibition stats posted, game summary for Sep 14th game in Barrie
Eagle Vision
 
Posts: 2863
Joined: Sat May 29, 2004 7:41 pm
Location: Kitchener, Ontario

Re: Favourite Rangers Goalie of the last decade

Postby Kenny the Rat on Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:00 am

I think Dickie was the best goalie we had in the last few years although Parker Ban Buskirk was my most recent favourite. He was exciting to watch and won games the team had no business winning. Don't ask me to remember any though because my "Old Timers disease" is stuck in nuetral right now.
Kenny the Rat
 
Posts: 2998
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:38 pm

Re: Favourite Rangers Goalie of the last decade

Postby Medway Bear on Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:07 pm

matt452 wrote:Personally, I think all this pressure is being put on them because we've had a ton of great goaltenders over the past few years.

...

So who was/is your favourite?


Sorry, but I don't think the Rangers have had a single great goaltender over the past decade. They have had some who put in good performances, but most of them were average. The best was probably Mason, but that was more because of what he did in London and not what he did in Kitchener.

My personal favourite is Dickie, because of what he did in the cup run in 2003, although VanBuskirk pushes him close because of the team in front of him.
Medway Bear
 
Posts: 2240
Joined: Sat May 29, 2004 11:53 pm

Re: Favourite Rangers Goalie of the last decade

Postby matt452 on Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:23 pm

Medway Bear wrote:
Sorry, but I don't think the Rangers have had a single great goaltender over the past decade. They have had some who put in good performances, but most of them were average. The best was probably Mason, but that was more because of what he did in London and not what he did in Kitchener.

My personal favourite is Dickie, because of what he did in the cup run in 2003, although VanBuskirk pushes him close because of the team in front of him.


I disagree. Dan Turple in 05/06 had the lowest GAA, the highest save percantage, the most shutouts and the second most wins of any goalie in the league. How can you say we didn't have any great goalies when we won 2 OHL championships and a Mem cup?

Even Mavric Parks, who did spend most of the season with Barrie, still had the lowest GAA last season. The Rangers have been blessed with spectacular goalies.
Arena's Visited;

Kitchener, Saginaw, Guelph, Mississauga, London, Brampton, Peterborough, Owen Sound, Sarnia, Barrie
LET'S GO RANGERS!
matt452
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:55 pm

Re: Favourite Rangers Goalie of the last decade

Postby Medway Bear on Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:48 pm

matt452 wrote:
Medway Bear wrote:
Sorry, but I don't think the Rangers have had a single great goaltender over the past decade. They have had some who put in good performances, but most of them were average. The best was probably Mason, but that was more because of what he did in London and not what he did in Kitchener.

My personal favourite is Dickie, because of what he did in the cup run in 2003, although VanBuskirk pushes him close because of the team in front of him.


I disagree. Dan Turple in 05/06 had the lowest GAA, the highest save percantage, the most shutouts and the second most wins of any goalie in the league. How can you say we didn't have any great goalies when we won 2 OHL championships and a Mem cup?

Even Mavric Parks, who did spend most of the season with Barrie, still had the lowest GAA last season. The Rangers have been blessed with spectacular goalies.


I'll give you Turple was good, but not great. You only had to look at his play off numbers in that same season 3.68 GAA (15th) and .896 SAV (13th). To me a great player not only leads the league but is head and shoulders above other players. Great should be reserved for truely exceptional players.
Medway Bear
 
Posts: 2240
Joined: Sat May 29, 2004 11:53 pm

Re: Favourite Rangers Goalie of the last decade

Postby jonny three time on Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:53 pm

I'm with Medway on this one. None of them were amazing goalies. They were all just somewhere between solid and good. You could easily make the argument that Murray's one season here was the best regular season put up by any of them. He had the softest defense we've ever had in front of him that year, with a bunch of rookies in it, in a year when most people expected us to be re-building and he helped carry the team to being a contender. He was an all-star that year too which many people forget. Until the playoff melt-down when his antics reached another level, he was the closest goalie we'd had to being called dominant.

Turple had a stacked D in front of him for his breakout year and then come playoff time he gave up a goal everytime OS had a chance at all. Every good chance they got they scored, it was ridiculous.

Dickie was good, but the team was so stacked in front of him that it's hard to really give him that much credit.

Ditto for Unice.

Maxx hasn't had as strong of a team in front of him as some others have but he hasn't been amazing either. I can't credit him for the teams run last year with how many goals he gave up in that London series.

Van Buskirk was on a terrible team, so how much credit can you really give him.

Until I see a goalie who takes a team to heights nobody could expect them to reach with the skaters in front of him, I'm not going to call him great.
jonny three time
 
Posts: 1079
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:12 pm

Re: Favourite Rangers Goalie of the last decade

Postby ORYX on Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:06 pm

Based on the Thread title, my answer is that Dan Turple was my favourite goalie over the past decade. He had a great personality, battled a tonne of adversity with the passing of his mother mid season and was overall pretty good.

By the way many are answering, my 'favourite' as in who was the best is IMO without any doubt Scott Dickie. Now when I say best I mean while he was here, there may be others that are better now, or may be better in the future, but if you measure every goalies performance while with Kitchener, its hard to argue against him.
ORYX
 
Posts: 1705
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:19 pm
Location: Kitchener

Re: Favourite Rangers Goalie of the last decade

Postby afclark82 on Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:08 pm

jonny three time wrote:I'm with Medway on this one. None of them were amazing goalies. They were all just somewhere between solid and good. You could easily make the argument that Murray's one season here was the best regular season put up by any of them. He had the softest defense we've ever had in front of him that year, with a bunch of rookies in it, in a year when most people expected us to be re-building and he helped carry the team to being a contender. He was an all-star that year too which many people forget. Until the playoff melt-down when his antics reached another level, he was the closest goalie we'd had to being called dominant.

Turple had a stacked D in front of him for his breakout year and then come playoff time he gave up a goal everytime OS had a chance at all. Every good chance they got they scored, it was ridiculous.

Dickie was good, but the team was so stacked in front of him that it's hard to really give him that much credit.

Ditto for Unice.

Maxx hasn't had as strong of a team in front of him as some others have but he hasn't been amazing either. I can't credit him for the teams run last year with how many goals he gave up in that London series.

Van Buskirk was on a terrible team, so how much credit can you really give him.

Until I see a goalie who takes a team to heights nobody could expect them to reach with the skaters in front of him, I'm not going to call him great.


I fully agree with Medway and Jonny. The Aud has been a goalie graveyard since DeBoer took over. There seems to be a serious issue with drafting and developing prime time goalies. I will admit though, there are only a handful in the league each year. Turple was probably my favourite one to play but the regular season that Murray had was as good of a goaltending performance the Rangers have had in my memory. His melt down in the playoffs was epic and he never played the same again.

I think part of the problem has been the complete impatience of DeBoer to let a young goalie develop (see Parks). If he would have allowed that Parks may have been the best of all of them.
OHL Arena's Visited:
Kitchener, Guelph, Owen Sound, Sarnia, Kingston (old), Mississauga, Belleville, Ottawa
afclark82
 
Posts: 700
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:50 pm

Re: Favourite Rangers Goalie of the last decade

Postby Kenny the Rat on Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:36 pm

I agree with Johnny in that we really haven't had what you call a "great goalie" over the last few years. Fan favourites maybe but great? The title does say "favourite goalie" so everyone's opinion is valid. Dependable Wendall was my favourite Ranger goalie of all time.
Kenny the Rat
 
Posts: 2998
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:38 pm

Re: Favourite Rangers Goalie of the last decade

Postby Cyclone Taylor on Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:11 pm

Kenny the Rat wrote:I agree with Johnny in that we really haven't had what you call a "great goalie" over the last few years. Fan favourites maybe but great? The title does say "favourite goalie" so everyone's opinion is valid. Dependable Wendall was my favourite Ranger goalie of all time.


If I could go back even further...Don Edwards may have been the Rangers best goalie of all time.
I would have to rate Edwards and Young and 1 and 2!
Cyclone Taylor
 
Posts: 3528
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:27 am

Next

Return to RangersRush Interactive

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 4 guests