Ranger's overall record under Heibert

A forum for all fans of the Kitchener Rangers of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Eagle Vision, CharlieGirl, Duct Tape

Forum rules
DO NOT Post ticket requests or sales on this forum, there is a: Ticket Exchange setup for this purpose.

Re: Ranger's overall record under Heibert

Postby Otto on Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:31 pm

Overager wrote:Otto- A pretty shallow post.I guess you have no thoughts on our European draft.


How is it shallow? It's 100% accurate... unless you have ended your crusade because you finally realized that the Rangers 3 star selections are sponsored as well... and it is in fact nothing but a money grab... have you changed your tune?
Having the balls to say what you think isn't being a man - Being a man is having the balls to admit when you're wrong

Trusted by Manny
Otto
 
Posts: 4013
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:25 am

Re: Ranger's overall record under Heibert

Postby Overager on Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:22 pm

Otto- What the h..l does the three star selections have to do with our European draft ? DUH.
Overager
 
Posts: 1558
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:31 pm
Location: Waterloo Region

Re: Ranger's overall record under Heibert

Postby Otto on Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:34 pm

Overager wrote:Otto- What the h..l does the three star selections have to do with our European draft ? DUH.


Start back at page one and try to read every post that isn't yours
Having the balls to say what you think isn't being a man - Being a man is having the balls to admit when you're wrong

Trusted by Manny
Otto
 
Posts: 4013
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:25 am

Re: Ranger's overall record under Heibert

Postby Taychuck on Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:20 am

While the 3 Stars may be sponsored in Kitchener, the choices are made in the media room by everyone there, not just the Rangers' media. There are times I absolutely despise the picks but no one anywhere in the league can say that the choices in Kitchener are biased on the side of the home team. We've been shut out of the stars recently and deservedly so. I think they are chosen a bit more objectively than going into the stands and asking the home town fans what their choices are. That's not a knock at any other teams, it's just fact. I'd be much happier if there was a player of the game from each team but I understand tradition.
Taychuck
 
Posts: 821
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:21 am

Re: Ranger's overall record under Heibert

Postby JEF on Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:55 am

Mike Farwell from 570 News picks the stars.

He's fair. In most cases the winning team gets 2 stars. If there is a shutout or dominating win, they take all 3.

A fan challenged him on the post game after the December 30 Owen Sound win where Attack Stars were Kevin Hancock and Santino Centorame saying Michael McNiven should have been a star instead of Centorame. Farwell admitted his oversight.

Someone else suggested using the World Jr Format and choosing a player of the game for each team. I like that idea. Sponsorships can still stay intact.
JEF
 
Posts: 1180
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:41 am

Re: Ranger's overall record under Heibert

Postby Cyclone Taylor on Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:16 am

Otto wrote:unless you have ended your crusade because you finally realized that the Rangers 3 star selections are sponsored as well...

I don't really care either way on the objectivity the stars are but if the the OHL teams have these selections sponsored (probably 100% of the teams have them sponsored) then the OHL should mandate that the players do come out to accept their gift! Nothing worse than seeing a 5 yr kid "hanging" at centre ice with no player coming out!

End of rant...Next posting in another year!
Cyclone Taylor
 
Posts: 3618
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:27 am

Re: Ranger's overall record under Heibert

Postby Otto on Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:15 pm

Taychuck wrote:While the 3 Stars may be sponsored in Kitchener, the choices are made in the media room by everyone there, not just the Rangers' media. There are times I absolutely despise the picks but no one anywhere in the league can say that the choices in Kitchener are biased on the side of the home team. We've been shut out of the stars recently and deservedly so. I think they are chosen a bit more objectively than going into the stands and asking the home town fans what their choices are. That's not a knock at any other teams, it's just fact. I'd be much happier if there was a player of the game from each team but I understand tradition.


What difference does it make who the stars are?
Having the balls to say what you think isn't being a man - Being a man is having the balls to admit when you're wrong

Trusted by Manny
Otto
 
Posts: 4013
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:25 am

Re: Ranger's overall record under Heibert

Postby memcup on Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:41 pm

I’m disappointed with the results this year. But I think the injured Dmen have really affected things. With a healthy Hall and Blaisdell maybe adding a player like Stephens would have been the right move at the deadline. (And yes maybe I’m delusional)

The real disappointment is that Murray didn’t get another Dman last year or early this season so Joey G didn’t need to play D.

Bottom line we need to face the fact that Deboer ain’t ever coming back and London is the best managed team and complaining on a forum will never change that.
Time to move on, put on our big boy pants and stop whining about the past drafts from Spott and Heibert.
memcup
 
Posts: 333
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:42 pm

Re: Ranger's overall record under Heibert

Postby Overager on Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:48 pm

It is difficult to get an intelligent response from JEF, Otto,and Number 65 otherwise known as Larry,Moe and Curley. Someone might have to give them some help with that.
Overager
 
Posts: 1558
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:31 pm
Location: Waterloo Region

Re: Ranger's overall record under Heibert

Postby Taychuck on Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:12 pm

Response to Otto: It appears as though you, as a London fan, are taking offence to my comment about the fans choosing the three stars in YOUR rink....it wasn't meant to be offensive. It's just that I know that's how yours are chosen. Erie is famous for interesting 3 star choices but I don't know how they are picked. It could be a biased hometown media, fans, people that know nothing about the game etc. I'll be the first to admit when an opposing player has shined in a game and I applaud when they get their star because they deserve it.

I looked up what the intent of 3 stars are and here is what I found:

The three stars in ice hockey are the three best players in a game as chosen by a third party, with the first star considered the best of the three players, akin to the Man of the Match in other sports. Usually, the top point scorers or outstanding goaltenders are designated the three stars, but other players may be considered by affecting the game by other means (e.g. consistent physical play, many steals, blocked shots, etc.).

By having teams ignore the opposition because they are biased, uneducated or whatever is their choice but it tarnishes the purpose of the tradition IMO.....So, yes, I do care who gets the stars and I know only 3 can get them. We often have honourable mentions in Kitchener. If you don't see what difference it makes, that's your business.

I'd be happier with a player of the game from each team because not every player can stink on the losing team. Someone always comes to play.
Taychuck
 
Posts: 821
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:21 am

Re: Ranger's overall record under Heibert

Postby Eagle Vision on Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:42 pm

Overager wrote:It is difficult to get an intelligent response from JEF, Otto,and Number 65 otherwise known as Larry,Moe and Curley. Someone might have to give them some help with that.


You can't continue to post here if all you have is insults for those whom you interact with. If you can't prove someone wrong with your logic, you can't just run around insulting people.
Tom Conaway circa 2000 - "At times goals were harder to come by than teachers at a Mike Harris pep rally."

Updates: Final Exhibition stats posted, game summary for Sep 14th game in Barrie
Eagle Vision
 
Posts: 2980
Joined: Sat May 29, 2004 7:41 pm
Location: Kitchener, Ontario

Re: Ranger's overall record under Heibert

Postby Eagle Vision on Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:47 pm

Otto wrote:
Taychuck wrote:While the 3 Stars may be sponsored in Kitchener, the choices are made in the media room by everyone there, not just the Rangers' media. There are times I absolutely despise the picks but no one anywhere in the league can say that the choices in Kitchener are biased on the side of the home team. We've been shut out of the stars recently and deservedly so. I think they are chosen a bit more objectively than going into the stands and asking the home town fans what their choices are. That's not a knock at any other teams, it's just fact. I'd be much happier if there was a player of the game from each team but I understand tradition.


What difference does it make who the stars are?



It doesn't, but what on earth is the point to calling them the stars of the game. If they are the three best Knights or Otters? Why even have such an institution??? Why not just randomly pick home players name's out of a hat, and announce them.


And Random player number one of the game . . . . Doug Blaisdell . . . I know he's not playing, but we forgot to take his name out of the hat. Can someone track him down for an interview?


The homer stars of the game I find to be an insult to my intelligence. I'd be equally insulted if I walked into a washroom at the Bud and in front of the urinal, there was a sign explaining how it was designed for #1 only and only standing while using, etc.
Tom Conaway circa 2000 - "At times goals were harder to come by than teachers at a Mike Harris pep rally."

Updates: Final Exhibition stats posted, game summary for Sep 14th game in Barrie
Eagle Vision
 
Posts: 2980
Joined: Sat May 29, 2004 7:41 pm
Location: Kitchener, Ontario

Re: Ranger's overall record under Heibert

Postby Overager on Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:10 pm

Eagle Vision - The sarcasm comes from others as much as from me .I made some serious comments re Heibert's record and I immediately read responses about me being negative, about my commenting about the three star selection in London (made last year) and suggestions that if I know so much about hockey that I should contact the Ranger office about me running the team.. I have no objection about opposition to my points. However, in case you haven't noticed, the insults are not always from me. Look at the posts in an objective manner.
Overager
 
Posts: 1558
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:31 pm
Location: Waterloo Region

Re: Ranger's overall record under Heibert

Postby Otto on Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:42 pm

Taychuck wrote:Response to Otto: It appears as though you, as a London fan, are taking offence to my comment about the fans choosing the three stars in YOUR rink....it wasn't meant to be offensive. It's just that I know that's how yours are chosen. Erie is famous for interesting 3 star choices but I don't know how they are picked. It could be a biased hometown media, fans, people that know nothing about the game etc. I'll be the first to admit when an opposing player has shined in a game and I applaud when they get their star because they deserve it.

I looked up what the intent of 3 stars are and here is what I found:

The three stars in ice hockey are the three best players in a game as chosen by a third party, with the first star considered the best of the three players, akin to the Man of the Match in other sports. Usually, the top point scorers or outstanding goaltenders are designated the three stars, but other players may be considered by affecting the game by other means (e.g. consistent physical play, many steals, blocked shots, etc.).

By having teams ignore the opposition because they are biased, uneducated or whatever is their choice but it tarnishes the purpose of the tradition IMO.....So, yes, I do care who gets the stars and I know only 3 can get them. We often have honourable mentions in Kitchener. If you don't see what difference it makes, that's your business.

I'd be happier with a player of the game from each team because not every player can stink on the losing team. Someone always comes to play.


I'm not taking offence to anything. But some appear to have an issue with how the three stars are chosen and I have asked the question numerous times and have only been insulted when I ask... but what the heck.. I'll ask again... what difference does it make?

It doesn't affect the standings.. it doesn't affect the scoring race.. it doesn't affect a player draft position.. it is nothing but a cash grab, no matter where you go, and it always has been.... yes even in Kitchener despite what Overager may say. Here's some more from the Wikipedia page you quoted "Three stars were first awarded in the 1936–37 NHL season as a means for Imperial Oil (Hockey Night in Canada's then new principal sponsor) to advertise its “Three Star” brand of gasoline"

and

"The three star selections for a game, being a "fun" statistic, do not ordinarily affect any other aspect of the game. As such, there have been instances in which the three stars have been awarded in an unexpected way, often to recognize a single player's accomplishments.
On occasion, a player has been awarded all three stars,[1] or a star has been given to non-players, such as the crowd in attendance."

it is what it is
Having the balls to say what you think isn't being a man - Being a man is having the balls to admit when you're wrong

Trusted by Manny
Otto
 
Posts: 4013
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:25 am

Re: Ranger's overall record under Heibert

Postby Otto on Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:46 pm

Eagle Vision wrote:
Otto wrote:
Taychuck wrote:While the 3 Stars may be sponsored in Kitchener, the choices are made in the media room by everyone there, not just the Rangers' media. There are times I absolutely despise the picks but no one anywhere in the league can say that the choices in Kitchener are biased on the side of the home team. We've been shut out of the stars recently and deservedly so. I think they are chosen a bit more objectively than going into the stands and asking the home town fans what their choices are. That's not a knock at any other teams, it's just fact. I'd be much happier if there was a player of the game from each team but I understand tradition.


What difference does it make who the stars are?



It doesn't, but what on earth is the point to calling them the stars of the game. If they are the three best Knights or Otters? Why even have such an institution??? Why not just randomly pick home players name's out of a hat, and announce them.


And Random player number one of the game . . . . Doug Blaisdell . . . I know he's not playing, but we forgot to take his name out of the hat. Can someone track him down for an interview?


The homer stars of the game I find to be an insult to my intelligence. I'd be equally insulted if I walked into a washroom at the Bud and in front of the urinal, there was a sign explaining how it was designed for #1 only and only standing while using, etc.


Answered in my previous post. Initially promoted by Esso's Three Star Gasoline, and it stuck after the sponsorship ended.... it's kinda like when people say they taped a show on their PVR.. when really no tape was used.. or when they dial a phone number
Having the balls to say what you think isn't being a man - Being a man is having the balls to admit when you're wrong

Trusted by Manny
Otto
 
Posts: 4013
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:25 am

PreviousNext

Return to RangersRush Interactive

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests