New OHL Under 18 Draft

A forum for all fans of the Kitchener Rangers of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Eagle Vision, CharlieGirl, Duct Tape

Forum rules
DO NOT Post ticket requests or sales on this forum, there is a: Ticket Exchange setup for this purpose.

New OHL Under 18 Draft

Postby JEF on Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:03 am

The league will have a new under 18 Midget AAA Draft. The idea is players develop at different speeds and this gives a player a second chance to be drafted ig they went undrafted in their original draft year.

The first one will be on April 12 and viewable online at the OHL Website.

http://ontariohockeyleague.com/article/ohl-introduces-under-18-priority-selection

Murray signing Jonathon Yantsis was a timely move. He signed him before this draft took place where another team could have claimed him.
JEF

Re: New OHL Under 18 Draft

Postby krr on Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:18 am

So does this mean if you get passed over in the regular draft you can't sign as a free agent? Will a player have to wait for this U18 draft to see if they get picked before they can sign somewhere?
krr

Postby Toadman on Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:16 pm

It’s good for the 'top 80+' previously passed-over kids to now get a second look and possibly selected as all clubs must choose (at least) 4 picks. It might flush out worthy prospects that were totally overlooked and hadn’t managed to draw any subsequent consideration, camp invites, etc especially for the 'have-not' clubs with minimal scouting resources. Probably won’t yield many more roster players than now for clubs that had a large complement of scouting staff (Knights, Rangers ...) but I'm interested to see how the inaugural draft goes. While the trade value is rather dubious … I wonder if these picks are tradeable (…as 16th-19th round equivalents).
Toadman

Postby LoneRanger on Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:01 pm

Toadman wrote:It’s good for the 'top 80+' previously passed-over kids to now get a second look and possibly selected as all clubs must choose (at least) 4 picks. It might flush out worthy prospects that were totally overlooked and hadn’t managed to draw any subsequent consideration, camp invites, etc especially for the 'have-not' clubs with minimal scouting resources. Probably won’t yield many more roster players than now for clubs that had a large complement of scouting staff (Knights, Rangers ...) but I'm interested to see how the inaugural draft goes. While the trade value is rather dubious … I wonder if these picks are tradeable (…as 16th-19th round equivalents).

YES teams can trade these picks.
LoneRanger

Return to RangersRush Interactive