Year of the video goal judge

A forum for all fans of the Kitchener Rangers of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Eagle Vision, CharlieGirl, Duct Tape

Forum rules
DO NOT Post ticket requests or sales on this forum, there is a: Ticket Exchange setup for this purpose.

Year of the video goal judge

Postby Toadman on Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:37 am

I suppose the Rangers were eventually owed a favorable video goal review after collecting 'karma points' on three blown calls this season but geez that was a whole new level of phantom unless there was some super, x-ray angle that nobody else was privileged to see...

Surprised to see Leon Stickle listed as video goal judge on the OHL sheet tonight as well ... is he the same 'Blown Call Stickle' from back in the day?
Toadman

Re: Year of the video goal judge

Postby JEF on Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:55 am

Absolute embarrassment. Everyone in the building knew it wasn't a goal. Garreffa even slammed his stick out of frustration. The Rangers players stayed lined up for the faceoff in the Battalion zone. The puck went into the stands. The replay shown at the game clearly showed the puck going over the net after hitting the crossbar.

The OHL needs to take over video goal judging and goal judging. Training and certification is a must. We didn't earn that win, it was handed to us by the VGJ.

Farwell is right, the standards the league set out have not been met.

There should at least be a way for the refs to come off the ice and view the video for themselves.
JEF

Postby Eagle Vision on Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:33 pm

Everyone is following the wrong clues here.

Gentles was never credited with the goal.

Hence they are stating (and it can only be one thing) that the puck was already over the line by the time he took his shot.

If you watch really closely Garreffa goes for the wrap. The puck deflects off of Thilander's skate who is making a slight kicking motion, and then changes direction, where Sime is able to partially corral it.

It is the opinion of the video goal judges that the puck crossed the goal line before Thilander was able to kick it out. Everything that happened after that was inconsequential. After slowing it down and trying to watch it several times this morning. I'm; 99% positive that it struck Thilander's skate near or on the line. I'm not convinced that it 100% crossed the line.
Tom Conaway circa 2000 - "At times goals were harder to come by than teachers at a Mike Harris pep rally."

Updates: Final Exhibition stats posted, game summary for Sep 14th game in Barrie
Eagle Vision

Postby Medway Bear on Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:04 pm

Eagle Vision wrote:It is the opinion of the video goal judges that the puck crossed the goal line before Thilander was able to kick it out. Everything that happened after that was inconsequential. After slowing it down and trying to watch it several times this morning. I'm; 99% positive that it struck Thilander's skate near or on the line. I'm not convinced that it 100% crossed the line.

Like you I have looked at it this morning and I couldn't see it clearly over the line on the wrap around. As they signalled no goal I don't think it was. The one rider on this might be some rule that awards a goal even if the puck doesn't cross the line, but I can't think of one that would apply in this case (even if there is such a thing).

Another thing that is a little suspect is that the game clock showed I think it was 7:25 (might have been 7:24) when play was stopped and if Garreffa scored it a second or two had to have elapsed between when "it went in" and when the play was stopped, but the goal was timed at 12:36. Something doesn't seem right.

Ah well, you win some and you lose some and for a change this season the Rangers won one. On to Owen Sound.
Medway Bear

Postby Eagle Vision on Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:11 pm

Medway Bear wrote:
Eagle Vision wrote:It is the opinion of the video goal judges that the puck crossed the goal line before Thilander was able to kick it out. Everything that happened after that was inconsequential. After slowing it down and trying to watch it several times this morning. I'm; 99% positive that it struck Thilander's skate near or on the line. I'm not convinced that it 100% crossed the line.

Like you I have looked at it this morning and I couldn't see it clearly over the line on the wrap around. As they signalled no goal I don't think it was. The one rider on this might be some rule that awards a goal even if the puck doesn't cross the line, but I can't think of one that would apply in this case (even if there is such a thing).

Another thing that is a little suspect is that the game clock showed I think it was 7:25 (might have been 7:24) when play was stopped and if Garreffa scored it a second or two had to have elapsed between when "it went in" and when the play was stopped, but the goal was timed at 12:36. Something doesn't seem right.

Ah well, you win some and you lose some and for a change this season the Rangers won one. On to Owen Sound.

I spent some more time in the video review room. I'm willing to concede that this one was a screw up and that at minimum inconclusive if not, no goal From the overhead it looks like there's a chance. From the view of the camera that would be situated between sections 17 & 19 along the glass it looks like clearly no goal. I still believe that the replay officials have much more frames per second to work with as the puck pinballs everywhere in the crease, but it would appear that we got a little lucky.
Tom Conaway circa 2000 - "At times goals were harder to come by than teachers at a Mike Harris pep rally."

Updates: Final Exhibition stats posted, game summary for Sep 14th game in Barrie
Eagle Vision

Postby Eagle Vision on Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:26 pm

EagleVIsion2014 wrote:Old stereotypes often stick.

When you select a netminder in the 11th round who's an unprototypical 5'7" and nearly 200lbs, he's either amazingly talented or you screwed up royally at the draft.

I say he's a wildcard if I've ever seen one! Could be interesting.

Not surprised to see this guy suddenly surface in this league. It would appear that he's lost some weight . . . and hair (watch his rookie camp video).

Saw him last Saturday in Peterborough as well. Battalion really struggle in third periods!! They were out-scored 8-0 in the last two third periods that I've watched them play. Probably that thin blueline gets tired.

Eagle Vision

Postby puckhead7 on Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:55 pm

Anyone have a link to video of the phantom goal?
puckhead7

Postby Number65 on Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:13 pm

They blew another one on Wednesday (London's third "goal"), but at least it didn't affect the outcome.
Number65

Postby Number65 on Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:01 pm

It's not just us being victimized. London was handed a victory due to a mistake by the video goal judge.

OHL admits wrong call made on video review of goal in Game 2

Of course, Windsor has had

a few

other

complaints

during the series.
Number65

Postby memcup on Mon May 29, 2017 12:59 pm

Once again we're reminded how useless the video goal judges are.
I know the explanation was the puck hit Foegele's skate before he kick at it. And if Windsor had lost by a goal the debate could have stretched into July and lingered for years.
To me it's similar to "it not when the ref blew his whistle but when he intended to" .
They often say the reaction of the player is the best indication and in this case Foegele looked to the ref immediately and there wasn't a celeabration.

Let's all hope things improve next year. They have all summer to retrain the video goal judges. :lol:
memcup

Return to RangersRush Interactive