Rangers at Hamilton

A forum for all fans of the Kitchener Rangers of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Eagle Vision, CharlieGirl, Duct Tape

Forum rules
DO NOT Post ticket requests or sales on this forum, there is a: Ticket Exchange setup for this purpose.

Rangers at Hamilton

Postby Number65 on Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:49 pm

It's hard to fault the effort. I particularly liked how there was no quit in the team, even after they fell behind 5-1. A few bounces the other way and the score could easily have been reversed.

Except on the fourth goal, I thought Pfeil looked like an OHL goalie.

Nice to see Carty doing well in his new home.
Number65

Re: Rangers at Hamilton

Postby Overager on Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:29 pm

Number 65- I went down to the game in Hamilton and, from my perspective, you must have been watching a different game than the one I saw.
Overager

Postby JEF on Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:12 am

Number 65, The effort was there but the finish wasn't. Carty made some very good saves. The 2nd period was the killer for the Rangers. I thought they looked good in the first and 3rd but some miscues in the 2nd were all taken advantage of by the Bulldogs. Another game where Hall and Blaisdell were missed. Would have loved to see Opilka vs. Carty too. Lucas Pfeil looked pretty good. No soft goals allowed.

The Rangers took 4 points on a 3 game road swing. Pretty good result despite not having their number one goalie and 2 veteran defencemen.
JEF

Postby Overager on Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:43 pm

JEF- You said,"the effort was there but the finish wasn't." They had 5 shots on goal in the first period! Man, they had NO DRIVE OR EFFORT. Absolutely none! Maybe they were tired. I don't know. You also said," Pfiel looked good ." Wow, what do you consider bad? He made saves on 9 of 14 shots in the first two periods for a save percentage of .643. I will admit that he is young and the team in front of him looked awful but sending him back to Ridley College was a good idea. Apparently Opilka wasn't hurt, he simply needed a rest.However ,his save percentage below .900 is not good.Whether it is the hip surgery or something else, but he is not the exceptional goaltender we thought he would be.We are, without a doubt, a 7th or 8th place team out of the ten in our division ,which is where we are most years, according to league stats.We have nowhere togo but up. The question is how far up? Maybe Henderson, as an overager next year, will double his goal production to 12.
Overager

Postby Taychuck on Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:07 pm

I too, as someone who was at the game, wondered AGAIN about the lack of preparedness. The Rangers fans that went to the extra effort of making the drive were again disappointed and not rewarded for their loyalty. This is the same type of effort that we saw last year in Hamilton again a less talented team but we only started to play in the 3rd period and ran out of time. This, unfortunately is very similar to what happens in our own rink far too often!

I might possibly blame the kid in net on one of the 5 goals but that is it....the defensive coverage was brutal at times and if you cannot get more shots on net and show more determination and interest then why should the fans care to come out and support you, either at home or on the road????

I'm tried of the line "they were tired." They are friggin' 17-21 year olds! They had Sunday with perhaps (I'm only surmising) a "light" skate to be "up" for yesterday's game. Hugely, hugely disappointing.

I'm also tired of the coach pulling the goaltender when down by more than 2 goals....if we couldn't do anything in 57 minutes to get pucks to the net do ya think we're going score 3 in 3 minutes????? All that does is inflate the stats of the opposition and makes a game that isn't out of hand look like it was! How's that for the psyche?

I am not happy with many things regarding this team..........it's really, really sad that Rogers is replaying games from 2003. Makes you realize how talented we were that season and then it makes you wonder why we haven't really seen anything close to that team since......2008 was the closest and look what the cost us! Call it what you want....I call it complacency and inexperienced hires and drafting by inexperienced people!
Taychuck

Postby Overager on Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:23 pm

Taychuck- Are we the only posters who see a problem with the Rangers ? Imagine, "the effort was there." Bul..... ." We lack talent and I don't mean a couple of players. I think the Rangers are a "thin" team with some potential top end players. However, for years we haven't drafted well (but the same scouts are still there),we have a manager with a scouting background but nothing more, a revolving door with coaches who seem to be promoted from within but, to be fair,haven't been given enough talent on which to build.
Overager

Postby EchoThree on Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:59 pm

The Rangers are not a Western conference championship-calibre team this year, we all know that. They were sellers at the deadline. They have 7 rookies (1/3 of the team) getting very regular ice time whereas LDN/ER/OS only dress 3-4 rookies each and I bet they don't all get regular ice time. If the Rangers were in the East they might be favourites to win the conference because they'd have more points given the easier competition.

Taking 4/6 points on a 3-games-in-4-days weekend 1500-km road trip is about all we can expect from this team, especially with their #1 goalie out. To expect them to win every single game is simply unrealistic.
EchoThree

Postby Overager on Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:43 am

Echo- Ifyou expect them to be a western conf contender next year then, in my opinion, you are in for a big disappointment.What they got from Windsor at the deadline, was a far cry from what they wanted or were expecting.They wanted Valardi (a future star) but didn't get him. They had a couple of fallback players but Windsor wouldn't part with those either. We finally settled for Carter , who has what, one or two goals since the trade, and Burns, an O.K. dman who goes overage next year, and some draft picks too far down the road to help us in the next couple of years, unless we trade them for whatever MH can get. You can be assured that London, next year, will trade the overage players they don't keep, for future high end players to put them back into contention the next year.Then ,of course, we could trade some of our overage players (Blaisdell, Henderson (the six goal wonder),Opilka (if he is not injured and can get his save percentage above .892, for whatever, but not a top line young player because our overagers won't be in demand.We are and will continue to be ,at best, a middle of the pack team.Depressing but true for a franchise that at one time was considered the envy of the league.
Overager

Postby Taychuck on Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:46 am

It's not unrealistic. Having the # 1 goalie out wasn't really the issue in Sunday's game. Most would probably agree that the kid did fine in his debut....his surrounding cast sucked. I'm not sure that we would have seen much difference with Opilka or Richardson in net, just my opinion. Team defense is lacking all around, some due to injuries and some due to a lack of accountability for everyone on the team to play defense. Some credit has to be given to Hamilton but 18 shots over 3 periods with 5 goals on 14 of them and 2 goals on 13 shots isn't great offence or defense for Kitchener.

I don't expect them to win every game but I expect them to be prepared to play every game....how often in this season have we seen a complete effort? Not very often. How many last season? Same thing. And the year before and the year before and the year before.....do we detect a pattern here? I don't have a problem with losing if I see hard work and preparedness when the puck drops, not some last ditch effort in the last period or even in the dying minutes of a game. I can live with that if I see growth and improvement...so far that ain't happening.

I'm not the only person that says this; the grumbling is throughout the rink. Not everyone can be wrong with their assessment of this team and its lack of improvement.
Taychuck

Postby Toadman on Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:13 pm

OA: Burns, an O.K. dman

That's almost high praise :roll:
Toadman

Postby Overager on Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:54 pm

Toadman- If you are referring to my assessment of Burns I would say that he was a 5th or 6th dman with Windsor or, in any event, one that they felt they could get along without. It would be akin to the Rangers giving up Blaisdell.We certainly were not getting a first line Windsor dman.
Overager

Postby LoneRanger on Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:46 pm

Overager wrote:. Apparently Opilka wasn't hurt, he simply needed a rest.However ,his save percentage below .900 is not good.Whether it is the hip surgery or something else, but he is not the exceptional goaltender we thought he would be.

Wasn't hurt???...needed a rest???...before you spew false statements you should get the facts right or don't say anything at all

As i said in another thread,he was hit in the head with a puck during practise and is under concussion protocol.When he passes the necessary tests then he will be cleared to play.
LoneRanger

Postby Toadman on Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:12 am

OA: We certainly were not getting a first line Windsor dman.

True indeed though he's probably been our best defender in several games since arriving and with Bracco scoring 17 points for the Spits and Carter + Burns scoring 13 points for the Rangers, the trade has been somewhat of a wash to date. I do think Bracco gives the Spits a much better 'wildcard' chance to upset in the short MemCup tourney than they would have had otherwise.
Toadman

Postby Medway Bear on Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:05 pm

Toadman wrote:
OA: We certainly were not getting a first line Windsor dman.

True indeed though he's probably been our best defender in several games since arriving and with Bracco scoring 17 points for the Spits and Carter + Burns scoring 13 points for the Rangers, the trade has been somewhat of a wash to date. I do think Bracco gives the Spits a much better 'wildcard' chance to upset in the short MemCup tourney than they would have had otherwise.

Yes, but Burns and Carter are taking up 2 spots, you have to subtract from their points the number of points that other player might have got, so I don't think you can just compare points. They are also -6 combined as opposed to -3 for Bracco. The real evaluation will be what Hiebert or his successor(s) does with the picks.
Medway Bear

Postby Toadman on Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:01 pm

Medway Bear - Agreed, gross points is an imperfect gauge though +/- is likely worse as that measure is shared with the 4 other skaters on your line & goaltending too … with much more minus potential on the Ranger side! We do seem to be well ahead in the 'disappointment index' * however :lol: The value eventually realized using the picks will indeed be the key to the deal for the Rangers as you say.

Disappointment Index
Change in Points Per Game stat since trade:
Bracco -1.00 (0.89W 1.89K)
Carter -0.18 (0.68W 0.50K)
Burns +0.04 (0.11W 0.15K)
Toadman

Next

Return to RangersRush Interactive