It is getting closer - Rangers and Attack in rnd 1

A forum for all fans of the Kitchener Rangers of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Eagle Vision, CharlieGirl, Duct Tape

Forum rules
DO NOT Post ticket requests or sales on this forum, there is a: Ticket Exchange setup for this purpose.

It is getting closer - Rangers and Attack in rnd 1

Postby CHL Watcher on Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:01 am

What do you think of that idea?

I'll give you my 2 cents....
The Attack will win this series unless the Rangers have stellar goaltending, play a very disciplined game (stay out of the box), and think defense 24/7 while looking for openings to catch the Attack going the wrong way. They have to get to McNiven on the scoreboard, because getting him angry has the opposite result to what folks might think. He plays great when he's fired up.

So, last nights game was entirely the wrong approach.

I defer to the Rangers' coach, though......he seems to have things well in hand.....if you're an Attack fan. 8)

But seriously, without too much flaming.....how do you feel about this potential series? I was really looking forward to it until that gong show last night. Not so much now. I don't want to see kids get hurt badly because some coach thinks that is how you win in the playoffs....or because a ref decides to let things go until the game is out of control (last night) and it all has to be reigned in again. Call me soft, I suppose.....but I don't like the cheap shot approach....or the notion of putting the whistle away so some plug can spear just a little or punch just a little. Most of these players are just kids.

One of the things that has been so great about watching this year's team in Owen Sound is the almost complete lack of loose cannon on deck. Anyone who gets out of line is clearly being told to dial it back. The team has gone from hard working penalty prone to hard working mostly very clean and crisp hockey under Ryan McGill's coaching. He and Alan Letang have done a stand up job. Pretty to watch.
CHL Watcher

Re: It is getting closer - Rangers and Attack in rnd 1

Postby LoneRanger on Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:22 am

The Attack will win in 4...Rangers might get lucky and steal one game but i doubt it...The Attack play as a team and work very hard,well balanced and one helluva goalie...It will be very difficult for any team to beat that combination...Attack are my 2nd fav team and i will be cheering them on, after the 1st round of course ;)
LoneRanger

Postby CHL Watcher on Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:54 am

To be honest....I wanted the Attack to play the Rangers first for a variety of reasons.

Kitchener is close to Owen Sound when compared to some of the alternatives. This is great for fans and players alike.
Kitchener is a classic, successful, and generally classy organization.
Kitchener will keep the Attack tuned up for next round. You say Attack in four and I say, sure, but only if the Attack keep their wits about them. That's a good first round opponent that can do that. The Rangers have a record that would be taken seriously on the other side of this league. No easy opponents in the west, imo.

I used to live in Kitchener and I left there with no ill will at all. It's a nice welcoming place with a lot going on.

Just keep the rabbit punches down to a dull roar and the stick blades out of the nether regions and I'll try to be nice as pie. :lol:
CHL Watcher

Postby hockeyhockeyhockey on Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:09 pm

The Rangers have a solid core . Imagine how things might have been if McGill landed in Kitchener ?
your Owen Sound Attack...

2011 OHL Champions
2011 Western Conference Champions
2011 Mid-West Division Regular Season Champions
2011 OHL Memorial Cup Participant
hockeyhockeyhockey

Postby Toadman on Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:57 pm

Owen Sound Attack (3) vs. Kitchener Rangers (6)
Game 1 - Friday, March 24: Kitchener at Owen Sound – 7:30pm
Game 2 - Saturday, March 25: Kitchener at Owen Sound – 7:30pm
Game 3 - Monday, March 27: Owen Sound at Kitchener – 7pm
Game 4 - Wednesday, March 29: Owen Sound at Kitchener – 7pm
*Game 5 - Friday, March 31: Kitchener at Owen Sound – 7:30pm
*Game 6 - Sunday, April 2: Owen Sound at Kitchener – 2pm
*Game 7 - Tuesday, April 4: Kitchener at Owen Sound – 7pm
(*if necessary)
Toadman

Postby Sideliner on Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:21 pm

LoneRanger wrote:The Attack will win in 4...Rangers might get lucky and steal one game but i doubt it...The Attack play as a team and work very hard,well balanced and one helluva goalie...It will be very difficult for any team to beat that combination...Attack are my 2nd fav team and i will be cheering them on, after the 1st round of course ;)

Yeah I'm with you on both points LR. If the Rangers don't pull off a huge upset, I'll be in the Attack's corner.
Sideliner

Postby LoneRanger on Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:22 pm

Rangers defence takes another blow as Andrew Burns is done for the year
LoneRanger

Postby EchoThree on Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:44 pm

Hoping the Rangers can keep some of the games close so the young kids (a good portion of the team!) get to experience some playoff intensity rather than a bunch of blowouts. I will be very surprised if we get to a third Kitchener home game. I'll say Owen Sound in 5...maybe Opilka can steal one game.

I feel bad for Burns...looked like he took a shot in the hand in a meaningless game (well, meaningless to us). Hope we see him back next year as an OA.
EchoThree

Postby CHL Watcher on Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:07 am

hockeyhockeyhockey wrote:The Rangers have a solid core . Imagine how things might have been if McGill landed in Kitchener ?

I don't expect we'll have McGill for that much longer. If he doesn't win coach of the year then something is amiss.

He took a team that struggled to score, was playing about .500 hockey in a very digital way (on and off), was a bit penalty prone, and also very young overall and turned them into an absolute machine of a hockey team.

I am certain he could have done it in a few places. I'm not taking anything away from the talent in Owen Sound (there is plenty of it) but you have to wonder how much talent is squandered around the league by poor coaching or rebuilding years or the wrong mix of players.

Take Cordell James for an example. This guy was Barrie's captain and one of their best players.....but he didn't seem all that great compared to the USA Hockey/Hockey Canada/NHL scout approved players that were available, so DeGray picked him up for a 4th rounder and the promise of a decent playoff run to end his junior career. He came over with 13 goals and 12 assists and a -7 in 36 games. Nice pickup, but no blockbuster. He's picked up 21 goals and 10 assists as the trigger man in the crease and slot area on the second line over his 28 games with the Attack and done it with a +13. He kills penalties and plays on the powerplay. He's a leader. He's 6'2" and 221 lbs. Now he looks like a blockbuster pick-up.

DeGray can see the potential in players as well as anybody and McGill and staff create an environment that brings that talent out. Nothing is perfect, but these guys do a great job overall.
CHL Watcher

Postby JEF on Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:58 am

I agree with Lone Ranger and Sideliner. The Attack will win this series and with a very strong chance of doing that in 4.

Our bad luck with injuries continues on defence. Andrew Burns is out for the season adding to the veteran losses of Blaisdell and Hall. That leaves us with DiPerna, Hora, Roberts, Gentles, Peterson and Vallati who took a knee on knee hit and missed the last few games of the season. There is no way that as it stands our defence can hold up for long.

The highest ranking team in the Eastern Conference were the Peterboro Petes with 89 points. In the Western Conference they would place 6th. 3 teams in the West finished with 100 points or more and one just below at 99. It just doesn't seem right that after the 2nd round some very strong and more deserving teams in the West will be eliminated and teams from the East will continue.

I also like the Attack as a second favourite team. I hope they can take the OHL title.
Last edited by JEF on Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
JEF

Postby Medway Bear on Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:47 am

Add me to the done in 4 camp. I hope for a miracle but wouldn't put much money on it. It will need Opilka to play like he did at the start of last season and we haven't seen that at all this season.
Medway Bear

Postby Toadman on Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:18 pm

LoneRanger:

That leaves us pretty light! Is there anyone that was reassigned to JrB that could be called up perhaps ... like Nick Durajlija maybe?
Toadman

Postby LoneRanger on Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:47 pm

Toadman wrote:LoneRanger:

That leaves us pretty light! Is there anyone that was reassigned to JrB that could be called up perhaps ... like Nick Durajlija maybe?

No plans to call anybody up.They will go with what they have...Alex Peterson will now get to play...Garreffa can be put on defence if needed.
LoneRanger

Postby JEF on Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:53 am

Can we maybe call Ben Fanelli as an emergency VOA (Very Over Age) :lol:
JEF

Postby LoneRanger on Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:15 pm

JEF wrote:Can we maybe call Ben Fanelli as an emergency VOA (Very Over Age) :lol:

Get me some fake I.D and i will lace them up...i must warn everyone though...i would bring the "circus act" up to an all new level...they didn't call me "psycho" because of my good looks ;)
LoneRanger

Return to RangersRush Interactive