2017 OHL Draft

A forum for all fans of the Kitchener Rangers of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Eagle Vision, CharlieGirl, Duct Tape

Forum rules
DO NOT Post ticket requests or sales on this forum, there is a: Ticket Exchange setup for this purpose.

2017 OHL Draft

Postby Sideliner on Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:01 pm

The 2017 OHL draft is fast approaching. Here is a mock draft of the first round provided on a scouting website in case one is interested:

http://thescout.ca/web/index.php/928-news-free/15374-ohl-mock-draft-pre-ohl-cup-ohl-mock-draft-two-rounds
Sideliner
 
Posts: 567
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:40 pm
Location: Plattsville, Ont.

Re: 2017 OHL Draft

Postby memcup on Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:14 pm

I think the Rangers should pick Alex Turcotte.
If he doesn't report we can trade his rights to London and get the additional 1st round pick next year. 8) :idea:
memcup
 
Posts: 361
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:42 pm

Re: 2017 OHL Draft

Postby LoneRanger on Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:05 am

memcup wrote:I think the Rangers should pick Alex Turcotte.
If he doesn't report we can trade his rights to London and get the additional 1st round pick next year. 8) :idea:


I hope somebody takes him just to keep him out of London or at least make the Knights pay a kings ransom to get him...he's certainly a dynamic player.
LoneRanger
 
Posts: 2109
Joined: Sat May 29, 2004 10:39 pm
Location: Waterloo

Re: 2017 OHL Draft

Postby LoneRanger on Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:09 am

Johnny Beecher would be a great pick for the Rangers if he would report...a definite top 5 talent that will be interesting to see how far down he slides.

Rangers deinitely need size and at 6'4...210lbs its hard to find the combination of size and talent that he brings to the rink
LoneRanger
 
Posts: 2109
Joined: Sat May 29, 2004 10:39 pm
Location: Waterloo

Re: 2017 OHL Draft

Postby JEF on Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:08 pm

LR:

It's great seeing you posting regularly again. Thanks for sharing your insight.
JEF
 
Posts: 1241
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:41 am

Re: 2017 OHL Draft

Postby LoneRanger on Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:46 pm

JEF wrote:LR:

It's great seeing you posting regularly again. Thanks for sharing your insight.


Thanks,much appreciated.

My favourite time of year,the draft...and it's so quiet here : (
LoneRanger
 
Posts: 2109
Joined: Sat May 29, 2004 10:39 pm
Location: Waterloo

Re: 2017 OHL Draft

Postby Medway Bear on Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:31 pm

LoneRanger wrote:
JEF wrote:LR:

It's great seeing you posting regularly again. Thanks for sharing your insight.


Thanks,much appreciated.

My favourite time of year,the draft...and it's so quiet here : (


Not my favourite time, but there is always something about a fresh crop of players. Hope that the first pick isn't a bust, there is a diamond in the rough and may be, just may be the Rangers actually find the best player available. If anyone know anything about the available players I would be interested to hear.
Medway Bear
 
Posts: 2541
Joined: Sat May 29, 2004 11:53 pm

Re: 2017 OHL Draft

Postby JEF on Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:56 am

We pick 13th overall.


Here are the picks we have Round and Pick overall. Other division teams follow.

Rangers have

1- 13
2- 33
3- 58 from Soo
x
5- 92
6- 112
7- 132
x
9- 172
10- 181 from Barrie
10- 192
11- 212
12- 232
13- 252
14- 272
15- 292

Erie has

1- 21
x
x
x
5- 100
6- 120
7- 140
8- 160
x
10- 200
11- 220
12- 240
13- 260
14- 280
15- 300

Guelph has

1- 2
2- 22 from Barrie
3- 42
3- 54 from Oshawa
3- 55 from Peterborough
x
5- 82
6- 102
7- 122
8- 142
9- 162
10- 196 from Windsor
11- 202
11- 203 from North Bay
12- 222
13- 242
14- 262
14- 276
x

London has:

1- 18
2- 34 from Mississauga
3- 47 from Sudbury
4- 66 from Ottawa
4- 77
5- 97
5- 99 from Owen Sound
6- 107 from Sudbury
7- 136 from Windsor
7- 137
8- 157
9- 167 from Sudbury
10- 190 from Hamilton
10- 197
11- 217
12- 237
13- 257
14- 277
15- 297

Owen Sound has

1- 20
2- 31 from Hamilton
2- 39
x
4- 79
5- 89 from Flint
5- 93 from Mississauga
6- 114 from Oshawa
6- 117 from London
6- 119
7- 139
8- 159
9- 179
10- 199
11- 205 from Niagara
11- 219
12- 239
13- 259
14- 279
15- 299
JEF
 
Posts: 1241
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:41 am

Re: 2017 OHL Draft

Postby puckhead7 on Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:58 am

Wow! Not that impressive when you consider we have 6 picks in the first seven rounds while Owen Sound and London both have 10. Definitely gives London more opportunity to take a couple of risks on American players with their picks.
puckhead7
 
Posts: 342
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:33 pm
Location: K-W

Re: 2017 OHL Draft

Postby Overager on Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:30 pm

puckhead- And some fans are raving about all the picks Hiebert has accumulated.
Overager
 
Posts: 1631
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:31 pm
Location: Waterloo Region

Re: 2017 OHL Draft

Postby JEF on Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:27 pm

Just a friendly reminder of where Hiebert started. From Steve Bienkowski in the media release: http://kitchenerrangers.com/article/mike-mckenzie-named-general-manager-of-the-kitchener-rangers

"I want to specifically recognize the contributions Murray has made since becoming our general manager. It is easy to forget when we tend to focus on our current team that he inherited an organization that had graduated a significant number of players, and had an empty cupboard when it came to draft picks with only a single 3rd round selection in the 2nd and 3rd rounds of the next four drafts beginning in 2014. To fix that it takes focus, commitment and time, but it’s a necessary part of building success."

“Under Murray’s tutelage that single 3rd round pick became five 2nd round and six 3rd round selections. These acquired selections have provided players such as Connor Bunnaman, Connor Hall, Elijah Roberts, Joseph Garreffa, Riley Damiani and Eric Guest to form a significant portion of our core team moving forward. The 2017 OHL Priority Selection will also provide an additional two selections to what the Rangers originally held to further add quality players. Equally important is that Murray has been able to stockpile several additional 2nd and 3rd round picks in addition to our own selections in future years that gives the Rangers adequate tools to be among the most competitive of teams in the league in the coming seasons"
JEF
 
Posts: 1241
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:41 am

Re: 2017 OHL Draft

Postby memcup on Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:54 pm

The fact that the draft happens now instead of June sure handcuffs Erie.
An off season draft would allow them to trade players for 2nd,3rd or 4th picks. Instead they would need to trade future picks if they want some early picks.
memcup
 
Posts: 361
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:42 pm

Re: 2017 OHL Draft

Postby Sideliner on Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:14 pm

JEF wrote:Just a friendly reminder of where Hiebert started. From Steve Bienkowski in the media release: http://kitchenerrangers.com/article/mike-mckenzie-named-general-manager-of-the-kitchener-rangers

"I want to specifically recognize the contributions Murray has made since becoming our general manager. It is easy to forget when we tend to focus on our current team that he inherited an organization that had graduated a significant number of players, and had an empty cupboard when it came to draft picks with only a single 3rd round selection in the 2nd and 3rd rounds of the next four drafts beginning in 2014. To fix that it takes focus, commitment and time, but it’s a necessary part of building success."

“Under Murray’s tutelage that single 3rd round pick became five 2nd round and six 3rd round selections. These acquired selections have provided players such as Connor Bunnaman, Connor Hall, Elijah Roberts, Joseph Garreffa, Riley Damiani and Eric Guest to form a significant portion of our core team moving forward. The 2017 OHL Priority Selection will also provide an additional two selections to what the Rangers originally held to further add quality players. Equally important is that Murray has been able to stockpile several additional 2nd and 3rd round picks in addition to our own selections in future years that gives the Rangers adequate tools to be among the most competitive of teams in the league in the coming seasons"


Good info, and quite truthful.
The team certainly was put in a hole for a number of years.
Thanks for posting.
Sideliner
 
Posts: 567
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:40 pm
Location: Plattsville, Ont.

Re: 2017 OHL Draft

Postby Sideliner on Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:11 pm

Looks like the Colts went with the safe pick instead of choosing Hughes.
Ryan Suzuki is now a Barrie Colt. A good pick if he's anything like his brother.
Sideliner
 
Posts: 567
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:40 pm
Location: Plattsville, Ont.

Re: 2017 OHL Draft

Postby LoneRanger on Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:29 pm

Sideliner wrote:Looks like the Colts went with the safe pick instead of choosing Hughes.
Ryan Suzuki is now a Barrie Colt. A good pick if he's anything like his brother.


Hughes told the Colts he wouldn't report to them...Suzuki is an excellent pick,even better than big bro
LoneRanger
 
Posts: 2109
Joined: Sat May 29, 2004 10:39 pm
Location: Waterloo

Next

Return to RangersRush Interactive

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests