Game one

A forum for all fans of the Kitchener Rangers of the Ontario Hockey League.

Moderators: Eagle Vision, CharlieGirl, Duct Tape

Forum rules
DO NOT Post ticket requests or sales on this forum, there is a: Ticket Exchange setup for this purpose.

Game one

Postby Overager on Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:26 pm

Well, our Rangers were put over the Attack's knees and spanked. Anyone who comes on here and says that the rangers will be more competitive next year deserves to be committed.This team is in the early stages of a rebuild and it has to start with the G.M.
Overager

Re: Game one

Postby obstructed view on Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:37 am

Let me start by saying I have been a season ticket holder for over 40 years. Never has my disappointment level been where it has been for the past 2 seasons, but it's been building for years up to this point. I renewed my tickets again for next year, but not sure how much farther than that I will go. I gave more tickets away this year than I ever have. At times, I couldn't give them away. I'm not sure where the blame should lie, but I'm not sure it should rest solely on the GM's shoulders. I've read on here where people suggest its a Bienkowski thing, but there is definitely an issue somewhere. As a Ranger fan, I have always disliked London, but you must respect them for being able to stay on top, or close to the top for the length of time they have. I hope things turn around for this team, soon, as being mediocre just doesn't cut it any longer.
obstructed view

Postby puckhead7 on Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:43 pm

A disappointing season overall for this team. No doubt injuries to our back end were a huge factor, but you have to wonder if the coaching is the right fit. Not sold on McKee as head coach and definitely not buying Barnaby as the D coach. We haven't had much consistency in the coaching department with turnover practically every year since Spott left, but how likely is it that more changes are coming for next year?
puckhead7

Postby Overager on Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:55 pm

Coaches can't win when they are given a mediocre team, and that's what we have year after year thanks to the G.M. and his scouting staff.
Overager

Postby pokey on Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:42 pm

This team will be a little better next year. The team core is the 16 and 17 year olds. We will be very good in 2018-19 if management can make the right moves next year. Bunnaman, mash and hall will have great value next year on the trade market and will not be back the following year. Oplika should return next season....right now his value is horrible but we all know that he can play at a high level. Can he get back to that level to start the season so he has some value? Hopefully. Richardson is ready to take over for a year of experience so that in 2018-19 when it's time to make a run he should be a one of the better goalies in the league so oplika needs to go. If blaisdell can play good for 3 games in a row next year and stays healthy and someone offers a 4th...jump on it. Same as Burns...get a pick and move on. I think not trading hora and/or Di perna was a big mistake. They had interest in the trade market and they should taken anything they could have got cause making it to game 5 in a playoffs series was going to be tough with or without them.

I think we all know this team won't be great next season (they will be better then this season forsure)OA so you can give that a rest. I think most fans understand the base is there for a very good team in 2 seasons. The only question is can management make the common sense moves next year to set up that group of players to make a serious run.
pokey

Postby Overager on Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:37 pm

Pokey- Were you not one of those posters last year around the trade deadline who was stating that , "we should be going for it next year (meaning 2016-17) ?)16-17 has come and gone and now you believe that we won't be great next year but we will be in 18-19.Look at the team statistically and not according to what you would like to see. I'm not sure that many of our rookies were standouts.Merellis ( wrong spelling) started strong but it didn't last. Roberts was no better this year than last. Opilka hasn't shown that he can be a top goaltender in this league and next year he will be an overager. You don't compare your team to the rest of the weak teams in the league; you compare them to the top teams and we haven't been there for a long time.London and Erie have been top teams for a few years. We have been mediocre for more than a few years. You don't like to hear that but our record speaks for itself.Our best bet for an overage forward candidate is Henderson with 6 goals this year.
Overager

Postby JEF on Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:33 pm

Pokey some good points made. It would have been nice to trade Hora and DiPerna, but with Hall and Blaisdell out for the season we would have been really thin on D. I expect some improvement in 2017-18 and also expect some selling to add to the draft cupboard and get some young talent back. I agree that 2018-19 will be the year that we can be set up to consistently compete.
JEF

Postby pokey on Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:26 pm

OA - you find me 1 post that says I thought we should go for it this year...please do that.

Why do you bring up our OA's next year on a daily basis. We all know they aren't strong. Does someone argue with you saying the OA's next year are awesome?? Is there a poster that keeps saying we are going to be great next year that you have to bring up the overagere next year ALL THE TIME??? Stop it already...it's old and we all know the aren't great...give it up.

You can't compare a bunch of 16 or 17 year old kids to the Eries, London and SSM of the league right now. Those teams are loaded with great 18+ players. We have only 3 of those type of players right now. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't you think ever GM in the league would give a bag of pucks for Gareffa? You thought Mash was a horrible pick? Bunnaman was average at best? These are kids that are use to playing against 15 year olds when they enter the league and then the have to play against great 19 year olds. It's a major swing and takes time for the average OHLer to get use to. If you think Meirles is going to be nothing in 2 years you have no idea how a kid developes.
pokey

Postby memcup on Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:04 am

Oh oh... don't know what the coach was thinking tonight... playing a 16 year old rookie with a first round pick that was never going to amount to anything.
Opilka is washed up.......I can't continue to spend money to watch this team :roll:
memcup

Postby pokey on Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:02 am

JEF - about being thin on D with blaisdell and hall injured....I think you could have got some D help back in a trade that would have involved Hora or Diperna. A decent young D would have been nice but if you get an older D that can fill the spot and then get some picks back I would have jumped on that too. In order for a team to take a Hora or Diperna they would need to put someone in the stands....just include that player plus a pick or two....done deal. To not get anything for Hora or Diperna big mistake. We know SSM had interest.
pokey

Return to RangersRush Interactive